• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
jett said:
Finished it, I thought it was impressively badass. Combat was great and I really enjoyed the vibe, atmosphere and the hints of the underlying lore, of which I am completely unfamiliar with. :p

Wicked praise right here... Every single person i show this game to is hooked or at the very least interested in playing a level themselves after no more than 5 minutes. I showed a buddy multiplayer and was finishing up the Plasma Cannon 250 kills and after rocking house for a moment he stopped me and was like ... "Is that you blowing those guys into the air? It seems kind of weird..."

"Nah man. Those are genetically engineered super murderers with jet packs on."

"Oh..... OH wow. What's this called again?"

I love it. Still SO into multiplayer. Level 39. I almost want to stop so i can ping 40 and 41 in co-op with my buddies... but good lord do i want that final armor set. The fuckin Errant breastplate is soooooo wicked lookin.

jett said:
Finished it, I thought it was impressively badass. Combat was great and I really enjoyed the vibe, atmosphere and the hints of the underlying lore, of which I am completely unfamiliar with. :p
NICE. So far, this and Catherine are my favorite games of this year.

george_us

NullPointer said:
Isn't it though?

Not to start a Gears vs Space Marine pissing match (I love both games) but I was pretty surprised to see that Space Marine combat had more heft and oomph to it. Hell, the bolt pistol seems to have the power and crack of the longshot in Gears.

Who would've thunk it? But between Horde and Exterminatus I hope to be a very happy blood drenched gamer.
I think the base mechanics of combat are pretty good but the enemy variety is SEVERELY lacking compared to other shooters out there and the level design is straight up ass. I got the part where you're fighting
turrets and you get the hydra storm bolter or whatever its called
and I couldn't force myself to go any further.

Seriously?
The enemy variety is anything BUT limited.
Especially since
]they change up the enemies from Orks to Chaos about half way through
If anything I thought the enemy variety was very appropriate, whith the only exception of there being too few bosses and
the last boss was a bit of a disappointment due to solely being QTE

This game is pure awesome.
The weapons are incredible, the melee is well done, the jet-pack is insanely fun to use.
The multiplayer is addictive and compelling
but
1) fix the lag (PS3)
2) make the tactical marine more useful

Seriously if you haven't checked out this game, please do so now.
I'd throw this game on the hidden gem pile along with darksiders and castlevania: LoS, seriously, these games need more hype and recognition.
- cheers

PepperJack said:
2) make the tactical marine more useful

You're playing it wrong.

Melta gun

Stalker bolter

Vengeance launcher

Quick respawn and homing beacon.

Two tactical marines, both with quick respawn and homing beacons are the buddy cops of WH40K and they are hell to deal with.

Man...I was going to go to bed...now I'm gonna go play some multi.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
bigdaddygamebot said:
You're playing it wrong.

Melta gun

Stalker bolter

Vengeance launcher

Quick respawn and homing beacon.

Two tactical marines, both with quick respawn and homing beacons are the buddy cops of WH40K and they are hell to deal with.

Man...I was going to go to bed...now I'm gonna go play some multi.

Oh god... a Tac marine with the freakin melta gun and quick respawn made my entire afternoon playsession hell. At one point I was looking for this White Scar mother fucker above EVERYTHING else. Capping points? supporting Assaults? Getting bolter kills? Fuck all of that... murder... that... guy.

Have yet to have 2 of them who play competently gang up and run game on a level.. but i personally have turned the Stalker / Melta combo and the Kraken bolter/Melta combo into pure death with the help of the blessing of the Armory. No one ever expects you to have 4 grenades. And those kraken rounds? Yea... keep trying to hide behind that weak ass metal wall.. here comes nuclear hot missiles THROUGH your shit.

Eppy Thatcher said:
Have yet to have 2 of them who play competently gang up and run game on a level.. but i personally have turned the Stalker / Melta combo and the Kraken bolter/Melta combo into pure death with the help of the blessing of the Armory. No one ever expects you to have 4 grenades. And those kraken rounds? Yea... keep trying to hide behind that weak ass metal wall.. here comes nuclear hot missiles THROUGH your shit.

Tactical is where it's at sir.

I have three others that I play with and when myself and a buddy decide to go tactical marine "super friends"...oh god...I'm sure people are throwing controllers through walls.

SO satisfying.

This game 100% rewards people working together.

Drek said:
I've never copied a load out even once and I just jumped in cold and am level 9 with infrequent play over only two days, already consistently having a positive kill:death ratio. Last night I was >2:1 every round I played including a 12 kill, 4 death Annihilation match I joined and rallied my team back from being down 4 kills to winning.

They aren't joking when they say to mix up your classes. All three have their own special uses and strategies. The map plays a big part in initial selection, then once you see everyone else's roll out you can quickly find the style of play going on, adjust, and own people.

Nothing quite like loading up as an assault, seeing all the Chaos guys playing raptors, changing to a tactical with stalker bolter + serrated knife perk and stabbing raptors to death after dropping sheilds and half health while they're busy closing. You can see them thinking "I just need to get close" but no, sorry, my knife is in your face now.

You sound like a greater game than I! I didn't end up playing any multi last night, preferring to keep slogging through the terrific campaign. Based on how much I relish carving through mobs, I suspect it'll be Exterminatus 4 Lyfe (ahem) when that drops.

Any Aussie/New Zealand PS3 crew still playing this?! Keen to squad up, try and out-do some of the lag I'm getting by jumping into the US/UK games. Would like to have some friends ready for when the co-op Exterminatus drops too.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
bigdaddygamebot said:
Tactical is where it's at sir.

I have three others that I play with and when myself and a buddy decide to go tactical marine "super friends"...oh god...I'm sure people are throwing controllers through walls.

SO satisfying.

This game 100% rewards people working together.

I have played with enough randoms consistently (before the patch especially) where we started to mob together fairly often. Once or twice i would be assault and just working my magic when all of a sudden i'm slightly overwhelmed. Finish a combo/kill and go to jump away thinking "yea.. they are gonna get me as i start to fly...." only to have heavy bolter rounds begin stripping the skin off everyone around me... track the fire in the air back to someone on my team who i then roll with for the rest of the game... destroying faces.

Chris R

Drek said:
I'm not a big multi fan myself but I'm really enjoying Space Marine.

The single player is incredibly fun but yes, very short. Maybe consider redbox? You could play through it in a weekend no probs.
This is exactly what I did (did it during a week though). $8 was a great price for what I played, and now I'm actually interested in whatever comes out next from the series/franchise/developer.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The multi is what I imagine Unreal Championship 3 would play like. Really surprised by how enjoyable and polished it was on my first playthrough. The plasma cannon with the perk is a bit OP though, unless there's a counter I'm not aware of.

Posting this in the battlefield 3 thread would probably be trolling. But after playing the beta for half an hour I wanted to play something fun and went back to Space Marine MP.

Shockingly enough I had several good games right now without too much noticeable lag. And I might be being biased because I managed to come in with the top score on my team three or four games in a row. But this game is sooo much damn fun.

Favorite class is the tactical marine with rapid deployment because I don't want to stare at the load screen and the stalker pattern bolter because that is the best damn weapon in the game. Devastator marine with a lascanon is also rather fun.

Just unlocked the bolter for the Raptor. So that might change up the way I play the class a bit. Although it really doesn't feel like I am playing a world eater marine correctly when I end up killing things with bullets instead of tearing their flesh and spilling their blood with the glorious chain axe.

Edit: Haha didn't even read all the posts about tactical marines above me. That's right, best class in the game.

daedalius

Lostconfused said:
Posting this in the battlefield 3 thread would probably be trolling. But after playing the beta for half an hour I wanted to play something fun and went back to Space Marine MP.

Shockingly enough I had several good games right now without too much noticeable lag. And I might be being biased because I managed to come in with the top score on my team three or four games in a row. But this game is sooo much damn fun.

Favorite class is the tactical marine with rapid deployment because I don't want to stare at the load screen and the stalker pattern bolter because that is the best damn weapon in the game. Devastator marine with a lascanon is also rather fun.

Just unlocked the bolter for the Raptor. So that might change up the way I play the class a bit. Although it really doesn't feel like I am playing a world eater marine correctly when I end up killing things with bullets instead of tearing their flesh and spilling their blood with the glorious chain axe.

Edit: Haha didn't even read all the posts about tactical marines above me. That's right, best class in the game.

I felt the same way. I much prefer Space Marine and Halo to military shooters.

I love tactical marine the most I think, Stalker bolter and something else... awesome. Got a streak x8 earlier ;)

Posting something like that in the BF3 thread would be like getting hit with the equivalent of a close range melta gun.

daedalius said:
I felt the same way. I much prefer Space Marine and Halo to military shooters.
I actually enjoyed Bad Company 2 a lot. But they changed up the game a bit and the map in the beta is terrible. So I just wasn't having any fun.

Jinaar

I've played Tactical Marine the most in MP. It's array of diversity and speed make him the go-to class for my play style the majority of the time. Lately I have been using the Plasma Cannon way to much, dwarfing everyone else with Kills :) So awesome to do the following as a Devastator Plasma Cannon herp derp:

- see 3 enemies trying to cap a point
- charge up the Plasma Cannon
- move from cover into combat
- fire charge and watch it hover it's way towards my opponents
- the 3 opponents kill me during this whole time
- I respawn to 750 Points for revenge killing and Triple kill :) Great way to start a match

Either way, I tend to use the Melta Gun WAY too much because people have some sort of requirement to be Assault. Nothing like being swarmed by flies constantly. I try to teach them that they should try another class. Never learn. :)

Exterminatus needs to come sooner then later ^_^

Jinaar said:
I try to teach them that they should try another class. Never learn. :)
Your blood will spill in the name Khorne as the glorious chain axe rips your flesh and your skull will be one of countless that adorn his throne.

FGMPR

Banned
Bought if from g2play for $20 last night. You know THQ, I would be more than happy to pay $50 for a game like this, but $90 is absolutely taking the piss.

Oh well, their greed is their loss.

daedalius

Man, how is Space Marine not even going to make it in the top 20 Xbox Live games being played in September. fml

GG THQ marketing maybe.

derFeef

Lostconfused said:
The marketing that doesn't exist that ensured this game would flop so hard. God damn it, a genuinely good game got sent out to die.
Happened to two of my favourite game in the last years. Alan Wake also :/

daedalius

derFeef said:
What marketing....

Yea exactly.

Hopefully the IP carries it to a sequel... Dead Island at 7, Space Marine not on list. Where is a rage filled .gif I can post.

Crazy that Gears 3 sold 3mil in the first week... still gets beaten by Blops.

shuri

Banned
Space Marine didnt crack the top 20?! WHAT THE SHIT?

Another thing I love about the game is how the whole 'Extasy of violence' feeling is incredibly rewarding in this game. I sneaked behind this heavy bolter guy who was gunning down my chaos sibblings; I knifed him to death; turned around and saw 3 guys walking around in a group formation; threw my two grenades and unleashed my storm bolter; taking them all out. Suddenly I hear the roaring of a chainsaw sword behind me; an assault marine was taking out one guy of my team; i quickreload, start shooting at him; he boosts toward my direction, i somehow manage to roll out of his way, finishing him off; just to have his booters blow up, taking me out.

What a glorious death.

daedalius

Lostconfused said:
Was it sell through? I didn't read the thread and assumed they just meant shipped.

I have no idea, but it probably sold a great deal. I actually read it in the HaloGaf community forum, they are lamenting the fact Halo is out of the top 3 for the first time ever, heh.

Blops on top tho, man how did that game get so big? Totally didn't enjoy it at all when I played.

daedalius said:
I have no idea, but it probably sold a great deal. I actually read it in the HaloGaf community forum, they are lamenting the fact Halo is out of the top 3 for the first time ever, heh.

Blops on top tho, man how did that game get so big? Totally didn't enjoy it at all when I played.
Since reach? I thought Halo 3 got knocked out, or maybe it was gears of war 2. Either way the top 3 has always been consistent. The only difference now is that there are two call of duty games at the top instead of just one. It's really god damn popular, that's all there is to it.

Drek

daedalius said:

Blops got its status completely thanks to MW and MW2 being huge. Its the Final Fantasy syndrome where crappy ones diminish the sales of the next one which is great, word of mouth pushes hype for the next one which is crappy, and the cycle repeats. Though I think SE is breaking that cycle now and going all crap all the time.

Anyhow, no need to talk about those inferior games. Space Marines is the king of multi as far as I'm concerned. Best class balance I've ever played in a multi and it does it with only three classes.

Tactical should be everyone's bread and butter, going to Devastator and Assault as needed depending on map conditions and classes. Stalker Bolter is the map wide enforcer of shit.

To anyone just getting into it, Assault is the booby trap class, FYI. Its very fun and has its uses, but it isn't nearly as diverse as the other two, especially Tactical. Nothing quite like seeing an Assault bull rush through heavy bolter fire to close on a Dev who then just ground stomps for the stun and finishes him off. Or like I said on the previous page, baiting in Assaults with Stalker fire while playing Tactical only to whip out your knife with serrated perk and face stab them to death.

daedalius

Drek said:
Blops got its status completely thanks to MW and MW2 being huge. Its the Final Fantasy syndrome where crappy ones diminish the sales of the next one which is great, word of mouth pushes hype for the next one which is crappy, and the cycle repeats. Though I think SE is breaking that cycle now and going all crap all the time.

Anyhow, no need to talk about those inferior games. Space Marines is the king of multi as far as I'm concerned. Best class balance I've ever played in a multi and it does it with only three classes.

Tactical should be everyone's bread and butter, going to Devastator and Assault as needed depending on map conditions and classes. Stalker Bolter is the map wide enforcer of shit.

To anyone just getting into it, Assault is the booby trap class, FYI. Its very fun and has its uses, but it isn't nearly as diverse as the other two, especially Tactical. Nothing quite like seeing an Assault bull rush through heavy bolter fire to close on a Dev who then just ground stomps for the stun and finishes him off. Or like I said on the previous page, baiting in Assaults with Stalker fire while playing Tactical only to whip out your knife with serrated perk and face stab them to death.

Now they just need to let serrated blades perk give you a chainsword ;) hell apparently with the perk your knife does equivalent damage to a power-axe.

Drek said:
Nothing quite like seeing an Assault bull rush through heavy bolter fire to close on a Dev who then just ground stomps for the stun and finishes him off. Or like I said on the previous page, baiting in Assaults with Stalker fire while playing Tactical only to whip out your knife with serrated perk and face stab them to death.
I love it when people try to melee me to death when playing a raptor. Them getting stuck in combat animations almost gurantees that they will be taken out by the exploding jet pack.
daedalius said:
Now they just need to let serrated blades perk give you a chainsword ;) hell apparently with the perk your knife does equivalent damage to a power-axe.
Then give me a frikin chain axe! Damn it, I don't want to play a raptor all the time just so I can have a chain axe.

derFeef

To be honest I don't like the multiplayer that much in this game. It feels small in scope and the melee is just whiffing through the air until someone dies. I am sure I will paly a lot of Exterminatus though - but I would have loved something bigger in scale.

derFeef said:
To be honest I don't like the multiplayer that much in this game. It feels small in scope and the melee is just whiffing through the air until someone dies. I am sure I will paly a lot of Exterminatus though - but I would have loved something bigger in scale.
All true. Maps are fairly small scale but I think it kind of works for what they have now. The devastator class would probably need to be tweaked to make the maps bigger and more open. And yeah the feedback on the melee is almost non existent, you really need to know when you are connecting with your target and how far your reach is.

Still I am having fun with it.

The two open maps I can think of is the bridge where you have a clear line of sight between capture points A and C. And the hab center where you have almost a clear line of sight from one spawn to another. Devastator marines with lascannons/plasma become a major pain.

Unity2012

I do like the multiplayer, there is something very frantic and unique in its own over-the-top sci-fy way that makes it really fun; not to mention all the choices and features.

Have we heard, read or seen anything about "Exterminatus" lately?

I cannot find any info and it is supposed to be out in a few days.

I'm already prepped for disappointment with Exterminatus. Which is a shame since its the one thing I'm looking forward to most.

Heaven for me is plenty of ammo and an unending stream of Orks.

Unity2012 said:
I do like the multiplayer, there is something very frantic and unique in its own over-the-top sci-fy way that makes it really fun; not to mention all the choices and features.

Have we heard, read or seen anything about "Exterminatus" lately?

I cannot find any info and it is supposed to be out in a few days.

I think it was something along the lines of a "horde" mode. Co-op kill orks n shit.

daedalius

derFeef said:

It is a bit small in scope for what 40k is traditionally known for, skirmish war with vehicles in all kinds of different environments, but I guess it is fine for squad v squad fighting. I really like the multiplayer, but I too with it was larger scale with more outdoor-ish maps and vehicles; 8v8 would be alright then, but 10v10 would be better.

Exterminatus sounds more like a coop mission with you and 3 buddies rolling through areas where you need to hold an objective rather than horde mode. Indeed you have to fend off waves, but at the same time there is an objective as well, not just survival; at least from what I've read. I'm sure we will have more details soon enough, apparently the Relic guys have been pulling like 72+ hour weeks trying to get this mode ready, so I'm sure it will be good.

daedalius

FieryBalrog said:
Space Marine 2 better have vehicles at least in the SP. Dreadnoughts, Predators, etC.

Agree, lets hope the numbers make Space Marine 2 a possibility, perhaps in a year where they can release it at a different time than 2 weeks before a TPS juggernaut.

I just hope that Space Marine not being in the top 20 just means most of those people that bought it are more interested in the single player campaign than slug-fest multiplayer.

El'Kharn

NullPointer said:
I'm already prepped for disappointment with Exterminatus. Which is a shame since its the one thing I'm looking forward to most.

Why are you getting 'preped' for disappointment ?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
El'Kharn said:
Why are you getting 'preped' for disappointment ?
Given the multiplayer suite, I'm not expecting much breadth. So many missed opportunities!

Popped into a game with bigdaddygamebot and all I can say is: My GOD does the game even have host migration???

Lyphen said:
Given the multiplayer suite, I'm not expecting much breadth. So many missed opportunities!

Popped into a game with bigdaddygamebot and all I can say is: My GOD does the game even have host migration???

That was fun, sir. :)

I've seen host migration from time to time but the game seems to latch onto the first person with a dial up modem.

El'Kharn said:
there is info out there about it, all you have to do is look.
I've seen nothing besides the announcement and one of two short hands on impressions from early September. Nothing at all since.

Got maybe a link or two?

K, I was wrong.
Tactical marine is where it's at.
I kind of wish there were more maps, 5 is on the low side, 8 would have been nice.
Also the maps are rather bland and highly symmetrical, making them feel rather similar.
Hopefully they add more stuff to multiplayer, and exterminus will be out soon :)

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
On vaca so i haven't played in a while but the night before i left i had an amazing run in the SP on hard with bolter and melta gun combinations ripping through an entire hallway of orcs only for 2 ArdBoyz to show up ... RIGHT as my fury filled... stomped one so fast i laughed out loud and then tore the last ones face in half... cackling the entire time.

This game easily serves my god/power trip feed better than anything else i've ever touched. I NEED co-op... any word on it yet? I MUST ruin orks with friends when i come home. It should be waiting for me... it HAS to be...

Can't believe it didn't break top 20. This shit deserves accolades and goty level praise... truly is one of a kind in a sea of redundant shit.

Salazar

El'Kharn said:
there is info out there about it, all you have to do is look.

There is sod-all info. What there is is vague and a little contradictory. And the project lead won't answer any questions, choosing to refer them to a muppet of a community manager who also won't answer any questions.

Salazar said:
There is sod-all info. What there is is vague and a little contradictory. And the project lead won't answer any questions, choosing to refer them to a muppet of a community manager who also won't answer any questions.

Welcome back, Salazar!

Found myself thoroughly in your camp in regards to Space Marine. Single player campaign is boss, with Exterminatus coming down the pipeline, rather taken with the package. Could do without multi, despite trying on various occasions.

daedalius

Pylon_Trooper said:
Welcome back, Salazar!

Found myself thoroughly in your camp in regards to Space Marine. Single player campaign is boss, with Exterminatus coming down the pipeline, rather taken with the package. Could do without multi, despite trying on various occasions.

No way, love the multiplayer. Feels quite a bit different than what is currently available, especially when you're rolling as the Assault class, heh.

guest1321

I have yet to get the game but I am absolutely thinking about running down there now.
Best Buy has it on sale for 39.99. Link
I assume this is the appropriate thread to post in?

Top Bottom