• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Chris R

Just finished the game last night. Great single player campaign. Never got too repetitive, and the difficulty was just right. Checkpointing was good too, only had issues with it on the final boss (having to go and swap out all my weapons over and over after dying on the second wave of guys due to grenade spam sucked :< )

The best part though was the story/world. Can't wait to see what comes out next, we need to find out what happens to
Titus!

finished it today after getting it yesterday :) This tells for the greatness itself I guess. Grenades and plasma ballistics spam sucked. So did those bomb thingies. When I died then cause of them (while in an animation most of the time). Story was awesome but a bit predictable imho...
The Inquisitor was too strange to not be chaos related

I will try MP soon.

Finished on Hard yesterday. Actually felt easier than Normal, I guess now knowing what weapons to use, what attacks enemies have and which areas to be prepared for help immensely. Taking along the Melta Gun for the final boss battle this time made it a piece of cake.

In all this time, not a single glitch, freeze or anything. Incredibly polished game.

Back to the multiplayer again - and can't wait for the co-op DLC.

jett

D-Member
Is there something to the story besides kill all orcs? I have no idea where I am or what's the ultimate objective here.

Tokubetsu

jett said:
Is there something to the story besides kill all orcs? I have no idea where I am or what's the ultimate objective here.

Objective is to kill all orks and secure the Titan. Purge! Cleanse! The only good Xenos, is a dead Xenos.

luxarific said:
Mira isn't a horrible character - at least she's wearing full body armor - but I had to laugh at the assertion that she's:

[a] woman who stands strong under an immense burden and isn’t treated as a sex object, or relying on men, but instead an inspiration to the fighting soldiers under her and a strong, competent leader who the main character relies upon again and again.

Titus and his (male) space marines are directly responsible for
saving her life and that of the troops under her command at least twice: 1.) destroying the gun; 2.) restarting the generators for the turrets. Not to mention that one of prime reasons that Titus submits to the Inquisition at the end is that he knows that she and the IG troops under her command will be considered tainted and killed if he resists. He even says as much "The Inquisition will destroy you, Mira."

She's a strong female character in that she's not overly sexualized (thank god - bare midriff armor needs to die in a fire) and she is respected by the troops under her command, but in the end a guy is still pulling her ass out of the fire.

She's an imperial guardsmen using nothing but a over glorified flashlight gun and cardboard armor. Do you really expect her or any of the guardsmen to last more than a minute against them? Typically a guardsmen only last 15 minutes of the battlefield before getting killed. it's not a gender thing, it's just cold hard facts. The main character's are super soldiers, lt.Mira and her men are just regular humans hopelessly outmatched and outnumbered.

The Space marines duty is to protect and save these people. That's what they do. It's unusual they even lasted till the end. Then she stands up to an inquisitor, that's something that can get you executed.

Dalauz

Final Spoiler

So Sidonus as Dreadnaught for Space Marine II?

Also:

Anyone from South America Playing online? how is the latency? I really really want to jump online @PC

ape2man

I love this game and really want a sequel. But how are the sales i know ******** are crap but are there any sources that provide good stats?

ape2man said:
I love this game and really want a sequel. But how are the sales i know ******** are crap but are there any sources that provide good stats?
Sadly, the odds are that it bombed. Would be stunned if it charted..

ape2man

Heavy said:

Thats to bad, i hope the production was low 10m. Man i just want a sequel but with these numbers forget it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Heavy said:

It's been jumping between 1 and 2 in the UK since it launched. Warhammer is pretty big in Europe so I'm sure it'll do fine, just not on the NPD charts.

R2D4

Banned
Finally beat the single player and am level 33 on multiplayer. I think that is enough Space Marine for now. The last boss was funny.
Kill wave after wave he sends after you only to kill him with an easy QTE.
I was expecting a little more.

daedalius

Sinatar said:
It's been jumping between 1 and 2 in the UK since it launched. Warhammer is pretty big in Europe so I'm sure it'll do fine, just not on the NPD charts.

Came to these conclusions before it even launched.

jett

D-Member
Finished it, I thought it was impressively badass. Combat was great and I really enjoyed the vibe, atmosphere and the hints of the underlying lore, of which I am completely unfamiliar with. :p

Des0lar

will learn eventually
R2D4 said:
Finally beat the single player and am level 33 on multiplayer. I think that is enough Space Marine for now. The last boss was funny.
Kill wave after wave he sends after you only to kill him with an easy QTE.
I was expecting a little more.

Yep, a bit underwhelming really.

Tokubetsu

daedalius said:
Came to these conclusions before it even launched.

Relic knows it too. They might as well change their studio name/logo to reflect their "Warhammer Everyday, All Day" mentalitiy. Never gonna get a new Homeworld ='(

Narag

Tokubetsu said:
Relic knows it too. They might as well change their studio name/logo to reflect their "Warhammer Everyday, All Day" mentalitiy. Never gonna get a new Homeworld ='(

Still fond of the idea of a Batteship Gothic homeworld type game.

BadData

Does anyone else have a problem with the life bar? It's so in the way of the rest of the game for me, I find I can't enjoy it. Is there some secret way to turn it off?

markatisu

ape2man said:
Thats to bad, i hope the production was low 10m. Man i just want a sequel but with these numbers forget it.

You need to realize WH makes most of it's money in Europe, I am sure it will get a sequel

My copy arrived! IT. IS. SO. GOOD.

Ah, you can never be late to a party where there is only war.

EDIT: Not really worth playing multiplayer at this point, online is dominated by level 30 players. Exterminatus mode is where it'll be at. Until Relic do something to even the playing field, team-based competitive multiplayer is a bit of a tough ask for anyone who wasn't there day one.

Single player, though...glorious.

daedalius

-Deadpool- said:
Would be awesome.

Seriously, I'm just hoping this thing gets a sequel in whatever form.

It most likely will, its sold really well in Europe, and probably well enough here in the US... and they have to put
Sidonus in a Dreadnought, and let us put that punk-ass Leandros in his place

EDIT: Not really worth playing multiplayer at this point, online is dominated by level 30 players. Exterminatus mode is where it'll be at. Until Relic do something to even the playing field, team-based competitive multiplayer is a bit of a tough ask for anyone who wasn't there day one.

It really shouldn't take too long to get up to a competing level, especially if you play Seize Ground, where you get a ton of XP for capturing points. Or you could load up a private game for yourself... and capture all of the points for a few games; might get you over that initial hump ;)

grendelrt

Pylon_Trooper said:

You can copy the players loadout that kills you. I didnt start multi until about a week or so after it came out and was able to compete decently by copying whoever killed me hehe.

Pylon_Trooper said:
Isn't it though?

Not to start a Gears vs Space Marine pissing match (I love both games) but I was pretty surprised to see that Space Marine combat had more heft and oomph to it. Hell, the bolt pistol seems to have the power and crack of the longshot in Gears.

Who would've thunk it? But between Horde and Exterminatus I hope to be a very happy blood drenched gamer.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Pylon_Trooper said:

Just copy loadout as often as you can and you'll be level 13 in no time, that's where the fun really begins. Also: Only play seize ground

grendelrt

NullPointer said:
Isn't it though?

Not to start a Gears vs Space Marine pissing match (I love both games) but I was pretty surprised to see that Space Marine combat had more heft and oomph to it. Hell, the bolt pistol seems to have the power and crack of the longshot in Gears.

Who would've thunk it? But between Horde and Exterminatus I hope to be a very happy blood drenched gamer.

Funny you say that, I am on Chapter 5 with my friend in co op on Gears 3. The first night we played when I shot the Lancer I was like WTF where is the oomph?! hehe Game has been great, I think Ill end up playing SM more though.

Cheers for the tips, guys. I shall do the copy loadout thing.

As much as I was getting beaten up left, right and centre, it was still awesome. Can't wait to spend a little more time in both single player and multi. Started the campaign on hard and it's a tough and meaty experience.

NullPointer said:
Isn't it though?

It really is the stupidest pissing match ever, but you're right: the Bolter pistol is a seriously meaty weapon; and so is the Bolter once it gets upgraded. Then we have the Stalker, which is in a league of its own when it comes to weaponry snap, crackle and pop.

The only weapons in the Gears universe that have a comparable "THWACK" are the Gnasher/Sawn-off (curse that piece of shit) and as you said, the Longshot. That being said, they really are such different games. Anyone who plays SM anything like GoW or vice versa is doing it so wrong.

That being said again, I'd take GoW3 any day, purely for its Versus multiplayer; you won't find deeper, more satisfying game mechanics anywhere else online. SM's MP felt a bit hollow to me, not to mention, practically unplayable due to the inherent flaws of P2P when the game at hand isn't CoD.

El'Kharn

Does anyone else roar like Rambo when they are mowing down the enemy with the heavy bolter? Fkn love it havent had this much fun with a game in a long time :D

Played a little more single player...up to the lift shaft that was in the demo. Man, those Nobs are kicking my can into oblivion...but it's so damn good. Crowd control has never felt so savage. As simplistic as it may seem to the casual observer, there's a real art to balancing ranged and melee, as well as mob awareness. Half my problem is I get so into cleaving groups that I don't see the Nobs joining the party.

Continues to be amazing.

daedalius

mickcenary said:
That being said again, I'd take GoW3 any day, purely for its Versus multiplayer; you won't find deeper, more satisfying game mechanics anywhere else online. SM's MP felt a bit hollow to me, not to mention, practically unplayable due to the inherent flaws of P2P when the game at hand isn't CoD.

I haven't really had any issues with multiplayer, always seems to run pretty great for me; level 38 now.

I prefer the style of gameplay in Seize Ground over Team Deathmatch in Gears3 as well; not to say I don't like gears, I just don't like it as much ;) I should try out the capture ground game-type in Gears3, KoTH? I think I would like that better (except maybe not the SoS whoring).

NullPointer said:
Isn't it though?

I'll take Space Marine multi over Gears multi any day.

...and Gears multi is quite good.

I just prefer Space Marine multi.

finally played the demo.

at first i was like: fuck this i keep dying.
but then i was like: fuck this it's OVER ALREADY?!?! give me moooooooooooooorrrree

PLEASE tell me this game's SP campaign is long enough to justify $60. i don't play MP at all.

Bizazedo

bigdaddygamebot said:
I'll take Space Marine multi over Gears multi any day.

...and Gears multi is quite good.

I just prefer Space Marine multi.
I agree. Space Marine is very good and imo greater than Gears.

Comanche Raisin Toast said:
PLEASE tell me this game's SP campaign is long enough to justify $60. i don't play MP at all.

Honestly? If that's all you're getting it for, I'd wait. I mean, it's very fun, but it's not Gears of War 3.

Gears of War 3 single player and co-op modes are great and better than Space Marine. We'll see how Exterminatus is, but even then..

Bizazedo said:
I agree. Space Marine is very good and imo greater than Gears.

Honestly? If that's all you're getting it for, I'd wait. I mean, it's very fun, but it's not Gears of War 3.

Gears of War 3 single player and co-op modes are great and better than Space Marine. We'll see how Exterminatus is, but even then..

Heretic! :p

Bizazedo said:

not a 360/gears fan. big warhammer fan, but not enough to spend $46 (amazon) for a 12 hour campaign. :\

maybe god of war or some huge big anticipated series entry, but a new spin-off kinda title... i dunno.

maybe i will wait until i have more bestbuy rewards coupons?

Drek

Pylon_Trooper said:

I've never copied a load out even once and I just jumped in cold and am level 9 with infrequent play over only two days, already consistently having a positive kill:death ratio. Last night I was >2:1 every round I played including a 12 kill, 4 death Annihilation match I joined and rallied my team back from being down 4 kills to winning.

They aren't joking when they say to mix up your classes. All three have their own special uses and strategies. The map plays a big part in initial selection, then once you see everyone else's roll out you can quickly find the style of play going on, adjust, and own people.

Nothing quite like loading up as an assault, seeing all the Chaos guys playing raptors, changing to a tactical with stalker bolter + serrated knife perk and stabbing raptors to death after dropping sheilds and half health while they're busy closing. You can see them thinking "I just need to get close" but no, sorry, my knife is in your face now.

Drek

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
not a 360/gears fan. big warhammer fan, but not enough to spend $46 (amazon) for a 12 hour campaign. :\

maybe god of war or some huge big anticipated series entry, but a new spin-off kinda title... i dunno.

maybe i will wait until i have more bestbuy rewards coupons?
I'm not a big multi fan myself but I'm really enjoying Space Marine.

The single player is incredibly fun but yes, very short. Maybe consider redbox? You could play through it in a weekend no probs.

Drek

Pylon_Trooper said:
Played a little more single player...up to the lift shaft that was in the demo. Man, those Nobs are kicking my can into oblivion...but it's so damn good. Crowd control has never felt so savage. As simplistic as it may seem to the casual observer, there's a real art to balancing ranged and melee, as well as mob awareness. Half my problem is I get so into cleaving groups that I don't see the Nobs joining the party.

Continues to be amazing.
Wait until they start hiding squigs behind rushers.

Drek said:
Wait until they start hiding squigs behind rushers.

Fuckin' Squigs. Insta-death.. They were the only things I truly feared on my Hard run.

Still haven't gone back to try for the 'Act I without dying' Trophy. That sequence at the end of chapter 3
where your squadmate is pushing the missile into the chamber
absolutely breaks my balls every time. If it's not managing the Nobs, it's playing ranged against the Shoota Boys, or crowd controlling the Gretchins and then SQUIG OUTTA NOWHERE death.

Top Bottom