• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was the Dreamcast actually powerful at launch? Or the beneficiary of no competition?

Was the Dreamcast a powerhouse at launch?

• No

Votes: 112 11.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 870 88.6%

• Total voters

SkylineRKR

Yes it was powerful, my mate got a Dreamcast to replace his Playstation 1 at the time, it was the 1st console to have 3D acceleration in and i knew all about 3DFX, i had already had a Voodoo 1, 2 Voodoo 2 cards and 2 Voodoo 3 cards made by 3DFX in my PC's back then and the graphics were really good on the Dreamcast, it's a shame more software didn't support it, i remember him playing Quake 2 on his PS1 and it was terrible compared to the PC version, there wasn't many crossover games back then due to the lack of 3d acceleration apart from Tomb Raider, The Dreamcast would of handled Quake 2 no problem.

There are actually homebrew ports of Quake 1 and Quake 2 on DC via Windows CE. They play really well, despite being directly ported by one guy.

And ofcourse, Quake 3 on DC did fare well too.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
How is this thread still going do people like the DC that much???
Some hate it as much, casually blurting Model 3 is on par with Naomi 2 yet demanding harder proof (than at least 2 ports with no real cuts, Virtual-On 2 & Virtua Striker 2, just because SR2 wasn't great & VF3/FV2 had cuts, ignoring the higher res and games beyond them) of DC not being way lesser.
nkarafo said:
LOL, how does claiming Model 3 is on par with Naomi 2 = Hating on DC?
You cut off 70% of a post to put it out of context then pretend it lacks context, nice. To make it easy for you, there are no Model 3 ports of Naomi 2 games or similar games on par with what Naomi 2 showcased, like Virtua Striker 3, Initial D, Virtua Fighter 4 and more to back your claim yet you keep taking serious issue like your life depends on it with folks putting DC on par with Model 3 even though it does have ace ports (like Virtual-On 2 & Virtua Striker 2) and other games on par (DOA2 vs even a step 2 fighter, Virtua Tennis 2, Crazy Taxi 2, Marine/Bass Fishing 2, F355, HOTD2 & much more).

Tl;dr, in one case you delusionally went all, I'm sure Model 3 could easily do Naomi 2 games, with no evidence whatsoever, in the other you went lalalala Dreamcast did do Model 3 games and Model 3 quality if not better games but I'll dismiss all of it and just talk about whenever it didn't lalala🤦‍♂️
nkarafo said:
i'm not going to agree it's on par with the PS2
I never said that but strawman arguments and ad hominem about fanboys or whatever is all you've got, again and again and again, like a miserable little troll that thinks its own feelings are facts and if reality goes against them, well, tough luck for reality, red is green, black is white and down is up...
nkarafo said:
As for the Crazy Taxi 2 comparison, Emergency Anbulance is still more advanced looking.
Emergency Call Ambulance isn't like L.A. Riders & Crazy Taxi 2 (which has fancy/carved buildings & landmarks, interiors, arches, bridges, rooftops, the underground & more but ok, focus on the boxier assets ignoring all decorations like little fenced gardens or tents) so you're the only troll comparing.

One of those is nothing like the others (by design, not platform/quality/whatever you wanna disagree with or ignore like higher resolution) beyond its similar aesthetics, play the games you cite. It's not an open map, it has 4 tracks and trades the usually way higher racing game fidelity for on screen chaos. If anything, Daytona USA on the Dreamcast is much more similar since it also has often fairly wide tracks with up to 40 AI cars meaning plenty of potential action on screen even though it doesn't have the traffic and event systems of Emergency Call Ambulance (still it looks better as a whole).

It shouldn't be hard to grasp but, back to lalalala land for you I guess. Next you'll be comparing Fighting Vipers 2 characters to Crazy Taxi 2 pedestrians to prove DC is way lesser but no, it's the other people who are fanboys because when backed to a corner you can't but vaguely concede DC rocked.

You praise Model 3's later steps but Naomi came the same year as its last (and most games of the previous, Naomi 2 just 2 years later like later steps) yet you bash it for not being a jump like the step 1 was? No, not all arcades were so superior, plenty were just souped up consoles, like Namco's 🤷‍♂️

Hell, even older systems like Saturn were on par in the 90s (since not every 2D board was as capable as the CPS2 or Neo Geo either, or every game fully utilized them in ways the consoles couldn't keep up) and had many nearly arcade perfect ports already, gone were the days of huge downgrades.

Pioneering classics like Daytona USA, Sega Rally and Virtua Fighter 2 reigned supreme long past their prime (and sequels on Model 3), arcades weren't just about the best graphics but engaging game experiences like any platform, hence CPS2 lasted a decade and Neo Geo well over that long itself.

Last edited:

nkarafo

LOL, how does claiming Model 3 is on par with Naomi 2 = Hating on DC?

My main issue was always Sega going cheap and instead of a Model 4 they went with the cheap Naomi 1, which at best is on par with the earliest steps of Model 3 (and even that i doubt, personally). And that was the beginning of the end for the arcades IMO because arcades were always about the flashy graphics you couldn't have at home.

If anything i'm "hating" on Naomi, not DC. DC was too good for a home system in 1998 and if you read my first posts i even agree with the premise of the topic, i also voted "Yes". But no, i'm not going to agree it's on par with the PS2 or the (later steps) of Model 3 because i'm not a fanboy.

Edit: As for the Crazy Taxi 2 comparison, Emergency Anbulance is still more advanced looking. Crazy Taxi still has completely boxy buildings with no other geometry detail other than the occasional door frame while the Model 3 game has much more complex and detailed buildings with carved details instead of just textures.

Last edited:

SomeGit

Arcades were declining at the time, it makes absolute sense to go for cheaper hardware with the Naomi rather then doing a Model 4, both Sega and the arcade operators likely wanted to go in that direction. I mean the Hikaru didn’t do too well from what I remember.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Saturday night fever

Huh, cool that the engine could do that but I don't think they used it at all in any of the levels/cut scenes? Could have had some weird lighting for the final stage which seems a bit bland otherwise (no multiple levels like the others and stuff). Same for the other console ports, instead of the uber blur.

Last edited:

nick776

I can tell you that I was completely blown away by the Sonic Adventure demo I played at my local TRU. I had thousands of hours on PS1 and N64 games for years by that point, and DC running in real time looked leaps and bounds ahead of anything I had seen before. Granted, I was not a PC gamer at that time, and the PS2 hype and media had not hit the internet just yet. I also had no idea that the Dreamcast was a thing. I just went to the store and there one was. So it was like the perfect unspoiled experience.

I’ll never get to experience that again, because I’m tuned into the industry enough to know what’s coming and roughly how to expect things to look and play, long before I’ll get my hands on them. Kind if a shame, in a way.
I experienced magic when I first saw Sonic on Dreamcast running in real life. Before that, it had been Mario 64 that last gave me that "magic" feeling. I have not had it since, however. The closest I've come was when I was playing Astro's Playroom on PS5 and was blown away by the DualSense features and the graphics, I did consider that a magic moment and I hope the new game coming out this year can replicate that (especially if it is PS5 Pro enhanced). Another close time where I felt magic (but not for graphics alone) was God of War 2018 and Ragnarok. Rare games such as those come along so infrequently that we all need to cherish them whenever they do. I think that "magic" is the primary reason we all play video games and for people like me the never ending quest is to find the next game that tickles that magic in such a way that you know you are experiencing something truly special.

Top Bottom