• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watched The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucard

Banned
Entertaining movies, all.

League was just stupid fun and a really good popcorn flick. The 5 friends I saw it with also enjoyed it. I was disappointed that it was so different from the comic book, but as a stand-alone movie, it was pretty rocking. The CG left a bit to be desired at times, and I would have liked the Nautilus to look as it's supposed to, but the badass attitude of Captain Nemo still came through, as did the comedy of the invisible man.

Way late but I can now say that I've seen The Sixth Sense. The ending was really cool although I had an idea of what it might be...especially since I had already seen an ending like that done in The Others. The little kid did an AWESOME job and Bruce Willis could actually act! M. Night has vaulted up the list of my favourite directors.

Unbreakable is what really sealed my appreciation of M. Night. I didn't have any idea that this movie so heavily used comic book mythology in its story. I loved it, although I felt it lost a bit of steam near the end. As is, it is still a fantastic reluctant hero tale and, as all of M. Night's films have so far, it looks for the extraordinary in the ordinary. I actually want to buy this for the comic book featurette on disc 2, plus for the awesome movie itself of course. Wicked.

Matlock

Banned
"Bruce Willis can really act!"

Hey now, what about "Die Hard?" He did a bangup acting job in that. Hell, even "Pulp Fiction." In that, not only did he act well...he acted well with a samurai sword.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
wait you liked LXG? it was one of the worst movies evar...EVAR even the action was boring, after that masterfully edited trailer that movie was a true letdown.

Alucard

Banned
Yeah, I liked it. It was just a fun popcorn movie and watching Sean Connery spout off lines like "I'm waiting to be impressed" and "That was naughty" is worth the price of admission alone. It was definitely more fun for me than that other CG-overdosed flick, Van Helsing.

Unbreakable is one of the greatest movies ever made. I started to watch it on ABC last night but became irritated over all the interruptions, so I threw in the DVD and watched it.

Alucard

Banned
Maybe I liked it more 'cause I had read the comic beforehand. *shrugs* It wasn't a superb film or anything, but decent for what it was. I can see how people wouldn't like it though.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Alucard said:
Maybe I liked it more 'cause I had read the comic beforehand.

Unlikely. Given how much of a crime against the comic the film is, I'd expect that to have the opposite effect.

8bit

Knows the Score
Alucard said:
Maybe I liked it more 'cause I had read the comic beforehand. *shrugs* It wasn't a superb film or anything, but decent for what it was. I can see how people wouldn't like it though.

No way. Maybe if you hadn't seen it, it seems OK, but I can't understand anyone that's read the book enjoying it. It's fucking dreadful. I only watched it because I was on a 13 hour flight and it was either that or listening to screaming children. Even then I think I made the wrong choice.

B0001GF2DS.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

nomoment

Haha. I still haven't seen LXG, yet. To be honest, I wasn't even that crazy about the comic book, but still wanted to see it because it looked fun.

I guess I won't be renting it, now.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
HalfPastNoon said:
Unbreakable is one of the greatest movies ever made. I started to watch it on ABC last night but became irritated over all the interruptions, so I threw in the DVD and watched it.

Interruptions? Whatever do you mean?

m_night_shyamalan.jpg

M. Night Shyamalan said:
Stay tuned for seven and a half minutes of my new summer film "The Village"! Seven and a half minutes! Only here! I ran out of things to say forty minutes ago, but they wanted me to stretch a 100 minute movie to more than three hours...did I mention that the footage will last seven AND a half minutes?

Trevelyon

The cgi battle between Mr.Hyde & that other huge monster man, made the MK: Annihilation cgi battles look like a well crafted oscar worthy, WETA production.

I got League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen for Christmas, probably because it had Sean Connery in it, and umm, "Santa Claus" thought that I'd like it. It's still sitting on my shelf, sealed. What should I do? I'm scared to put it into my DVD player now. It sounds like it would melt the circuits with it's badness.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
6th Sense rocked, and so did Signs. You should watch that one too. I felt Unbreakable was the weakest of his 3 flicks so far.

DCX

DCX
Mejilan said:
6th Sense rocked, and so did Signs. You should watch that one too. I felt Unbreakable was the weakest of his 3 flicks so far.
Hmmm...6th Sense=awesome, Signs=not so much...Unbreakable=good.

DCX

Mejilan

You and I should never go out watching movies together! :D

Then again, I hate almost all movies these days anyway. :/

Socreges

Banned
The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs are all great films.

Unbreakable I liked the least, but only because the ending, I feel, could have been executed better. The concept was very good, though. Especially the idea of Mr Glass looking for his purpose.

DCX

DCX
Mejilan said:
You and I should never go out watching movies together! :D

Then again, I hate almost all movies these days anyway. :/
Then again it might be fun having these "debates" live and uncut :p

DCX

Alucard

Banned
Yeah, I have a few friends who loathe Signs and we argue about the movie constantly. Nothing is ever really resolved because it's hard to sway someone's opinion on a movie, but it's still a ton of fun to debate and argue.

DCX

DCX
Alucard said:
Yeah, I have a few friends who loathe Signs and we argue about the movie constantly. Nothing is ever really resolved because it's hard to sway someone's opinion on a movie, but it's still a ton of fun to debate and argue.
I loved it til the end...thier weakness...I mean if they are supposed to be intelligent, thier scouting would have told them not to touch Earth for obvious reason.

DCX

etiolate

Banned
LXG is fun. Nemo and the sets rule. Hyde is also cool. Connery is always cool. It gets hate because it changed its name to LXG and because rottentomatoes said it was bad.

El Papa

DCX said:
I loved it til the end...thier weakness...I mean if they are supposed to be intelligent, thier scouting would have told them not to touch Earth for obvious reason.

DCX
Come on man, they're aliens! That's just as proposteruous as you think their weakness is. I didn't have a problem with the ending at all. I like Signs a lot.

DCX

DCX
Just bothered me that's all, didn't make me hate the movie, just not love it. Funny how it's also the weakness in Unbreakable.

DCX

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
I watched Romy and Michele's High School Reunion yesterday and that movie was fuckin hilarious.

Mejilan

DCX said:
Then again it might be fun having these "debates" live and uncut :p

DCX

That's true. A good friend of mine loves just about every video game ever made. It drives me up the wall. Another good friend of mine goes to see every movie ever made... and generally has a good time doing so.

I, on the other hand, generally have ridiculously impossible standards when it comes to movies... and only slightly lower standards when it comes to games. ;p

The debates that ensue generally are lively and fun, however.

Re: Signs, the only thing that really bugged me is... that if they were so g-ddamned sensitive to
water, wouldn't the moisture within our very atmosphere have destroyed them in seconds after landing?

DCX

DCX
Mejilan said:
That's true. A good friend of mine loves just about every video game ever made. It drives me up the wall. Another good friend of mine goes to see every movie ever made... and generally has a good time doing so.

I, on the other hand, generally have ridiculously impossible standards when it comes to movies... and only slightly lower standards when it comes to games. ;p

The debates that ensue generally are lively and fun, however.

Re: Signs, the only thing that really bugged me is... that if they were so g-ddamned sensitive to
water, wouldn't the moisture within our very atmosphere have destroyed them in seconds after landing?
Exactly...which is why Signs is lower on my ratings chart. The movie rocked...just the weakness bothered me...now Dreamcatcher.... LOL

DCX

El Papa

Maybe because they're only vulnerable to water in it's liquid form, the gas form isn't dense enough to effect them :p

Maybe we've already had this Signs discussion a million times and there's an answer for every question that's asked every time.

DrLazy

Everything about signs was bad... the false tension, the rediculous story filled with plots wholes like the above mentioned fact
that their "weakness" is water when 2/3 the planet is water with constant storms.
Briliant invasion plan.

DCX

DCX
DrLazy said:
Everything about signs was bad... the false tension, the rediculous story filled with plots wholes like the above mentioned fact
that their "weakness" is water when 2/3 the planet is water with constant storms.
Briliant invasion plan.
LMAO

DCX

El Papa

Mike Works said:
Maybe we've already had this Signs discussion a million times and there's an answer for every question that's asked every time.
Obviously. It's just a movie, and the theme doesn't require people to think too much into it.

Alucard

Banned
What if the aliens WEREN'T as intelligent as everyone here is assuming they were? We never know in the film just at what level their intelligence actually is. Plus, with the crop circles acting as a map they probably chose strategic locations that they thought were substantially away from water. (if that's what they were thinking or if they even KNEW that their weakness was water to begin with)

Suspension of disbelief people.

And no, I don't like everything.

Alucard said:
What if the aliens WEREN'T as intelligent as everyone here is assuming they were? We never know in the film just at what level their intelligence actually is. Plus, with the crop circles acting as a map they probably chose strategic locations that they thought were substantially away from water. (if that's what they were thinking or if they even KNEW that their weakness was water to begin with)

Suspension of disbelief people.

And no, I don't like everything.

Suspension of disbelief my ass. If they can bring themselves from some place out in space to our planet to kill and overtake, then don't you think they should know about the water part? Come the fuck on.

Alucard

Banned
The belief that the aliens knew of their weakness is just as plausible as them not knowing they were vulnerable to it, or that earth had other valuable resources that they wanted. You're automatically assuming that they were these super-intelligent beings. Even if they were, there is still room for other possibilities...like what if the earth was the closest planet on their map and they were looking for a new home, or if they were going from planet to planet, trying to conquer them all?

Okay, I can't believe I'm arguing about this. :p

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Even if they don't know specifically that water is dangerous, wouldn't a species who is intelligent enough to build interstellar space ships be intelligent enough to build space SUITS?

I'm sure NASA came up with a lot of stupid ideas early on, but sending astronauts to the moon naked sure as hell wasn't one of them.

DaveH

I love the assumption that war is rational. Many peoples have had (and continue to have) ceremonial and cultural practices during war that are anything but. Why are all aliens expected to behave like vulcans?

Alucard

Banned
Maybe they have a different physical make up than humans and can handle various types of atmospheres.

Okay, I'm going to bed now. I liked the movie and I didn't have any problems with the aliens and their weakness. Others did. That's fine. :)

DaveH

HalfPastNoon said:
Suspension of disbelief my ass. If they can bring themselves from some place out in space to our planet to kill and overtake, then don't you think they should know about the water part? Come the fuck on.

Yet most people have no problem with Predator?

If all they want is a skull to hang on their wall, why not fry us up good with an attack from orbit? Ah-ha, see it goes to motives and culture, both of which have been overly presumed and assumed by viewers (namely the aliens' precise motives and their lack of culture).

Humans still walk over hot coals, do extreme sports, and adhere to rules of war not driven purely by logic, rationality, or cost-benefit analysis of success. Why should aliens be any different?

MASB

Originally Posted by M. Night Shyamalan:
Stay tuned for seven and a half minutes of my new summer film "The Village"! Seven and a half minutes! Only here! I ran out of things to say forty minutes ago, but they wanted me to stretch a 100 minute movie to more than three hours...did I mention that the footage will last seven AND a half minutes?
---------------------------

lol. At the first he said 7 minutes. Then towards the middle of the film, he changed it to seven and a half minutes. I was expecting he'd be saying eight minutes before it was all over. :p

As for Unbreakable, I thought it was great. A really different film from Signs. Unbreakable wasn't what I would call a thriller, etc. It was kind of surreal in a way. As for the ending, I thought it came off well, if a tad abrupt.

DaveH said:
Yet most people have no problem with Predator?

If all they want is a skull to hang on their wall, why not fry us up good with an attack from orbit? Ah-ha, see it goes to motives and culture, both of which have been overly presumed and assumed by viewers (namely the aliens' precise motives and their lack of culture).

Humans still walk over hot coals, do extreme sports, and adhere to rules of war not driven purely by logic, rationality, or cost-benefit analysis of success. Why should aliens be any different?
Exactly. Since when does higher intelligence mean the absence of mistakes? The geniuses of the human race make many mistakes despite their high intelligence. I don't see why aliens would be immune from that. If aliens ever invaded the world for real, they wouldn't have to fight us much at all. Most humans would be dopes and say "Oh! Aliens! You must be so much more intelligent than we are! And of course, friendly! We surrender!" :p

DCX

DCX
We assume they are smarter do to the fact that they are here on earth!!! Hell we can't get past the god forsaken moon!! Trust me, if we ever invade one of thier planets, they will be looking around and telling each other " took them long enough...pay up fools, i won the pool..." I don't care if they sent Homer Simpson type of Aliens on board, they are more advanced...smarter? Who knows, but still they posses two things that we will never have...the element of surprise, and the element of fear...we will always fear them, they won't fear us. 90% of movie aliens can kick our asses without much trouble...unless you're Arnold, or Sam Jackson...Will Smith...water...

DCX

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
I liked Signs..
..the 'epiphany moment' wasn't as great as Unbreakable and especially not as great as the (awesome!) Sixth Sense, but there were a lot of creepy moments throughout the film. And I do like the underlying theme of Signs (never lose faith, etc.).

I watched Unbreakable last night on TV...
..I'd forgotten what a cool film it was. Even the ending is cool.

Sixth Sense is still my fave (one of my fave. movies ever), but both Unbreakable and Signs are also very good imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom