• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watched The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Humans still walk over hot coals, do extreme sports, and adhere to rules of war not driven purely by logic, rationality, or cost-benefit analysis of success. Why should aliens be any different?

In other words, they came to Earth cuz alien chicks dig it?

DrLazy

M Night Shyamaladingdong is an overated piece of crap of a director. I hate to think he embodies the 20th century "autuer" of writer/director. They keep hyping him up in previews for "The Village" like he's the best thing since Hitchcock. The man wrote and directed Signs people. Listen closely here-- This guy is a one trick pony that has gotten worse with every film he's made.

You started out with the sixth sense-- A good movie with a true suprise ending. The thing that makes a suprise ending work is that it's not only a suprise, but it also makes you rethink the whole movie in a new way. Sixth Sense did it well, so did Momento. It should make you say: "Now I want to see it over again." Shyamalon was helped out in the Sixth Sense by the best child actor out there.

Then came Unbreakable which got a pretty "meh" response from me. There just wasn't very many comic references except for the very very begining so the ending came out of the blue and gave you a little bit of a wft? Still kept me entertained though. Samuel L rocks.

Then theirs signs, by this point you pretty much know their will be a suprise/twist ending. It comes and it sucks. When the "swing away" line came along in the theater I saw it in, there was a burst of laughter. That's how bad it was. It was really like an old horror film where the girl keeps running into closets instead of calling the police. So lame.

DaveH

Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:
In other words, they came to Earth cuz alien chicks dig it?

Could be. Point is we don't know. In something like The Predator, it's made somewhat clear that there's an honor/pride/hunting thing going on... not purely killing. In Signs, we have only the exerpts of various quacks (from bug-eyed army recruiters to tinfoil hat wearing "scientists"), who the viewers and characters can take at face value... but how logical is that to begin with? Accepting the first explanation that comes along as truth?

We can only theorize, but take the final alien for example. I think it's pretty suggestive that there's a revenge/honor thing going on. Though his people are retreating, he stays behind to harass the guy who took his finger. Extend that to the crop circles and hand to hand combat. How useful are crop circles as navigation markers to beings capable of interstellar travel? Not particularly useful. But if a cultural aspect- like say, "I'm marking you, and this is where I'm going to prove myself." (some Indian tribes had a similar policy during war- the kill didn't count unless the target was marked and taken in hand to hand combat) then the circles and the combat makes sense.

I mean, if you really want to subdue and enslave you should still use small arms (that's how atrocities in Africa happen... rounded up with guns, but harmed with machetes), if they really wanted to kill they could have done it from space, so it makes sense to look for motivations other than the ones we've been told or quickly assumed.

It might have been for the alien chicks.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
DrLazy said:
Then came Unbreakable which got a pretty "meh" response from me. There just wasn't very many comic references except for the very very begining so the ending came out of the blue and gave you a little bit of a wft?

there were a ton of subtle references to comic book cliche's and the like. color schemes, naming conventions etc

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I loved Unbreakable, but Signs was just god-awful. I wasn't big on The Sixth Sense either.

With The Village looking the way it does, I think I might count Unbreakable as a happy accident for an otherwise lame, uninspired director. I cannot believe that I've heard some people use the words "Shamalyalalanyan" and "Hitchcock" in the same sentence, unless the phrase "shits all over like you wouldn't believe" is somewhere after Hitchcock's name.

effzee

im so sick of people claiming he has a one trick pony with twists at the end. signs had no twist...what was the twist? that the aliens die cause of water? thats not a twist people. unbreakable and the sixth sense did have a twist but signs didnt.

u people get to hung up on some things...signs is an awesome movie. acting is top notch from all actors and especially the child actors. its more about the family and faith rather than the aliens.

where is iceman to explain everything?

ohh and it terms of being creepy and scary i think signs is his best work.

FightyF

Banned
I thought LXG was aright. I wouldn't watch it again, but I thought it was purdy neat, plus I've never read the comics.

Iceman

I don't have time right now but I'll give you my explanation of Signs later tonight.

I just saw LXG last night and GAF, you lied to me: this movie did NOT blow chunks. Good old fashioned brainless monster movie. I enjoyed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom