• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wayfinder |OT| World of Warframe

VN1X

Banned

4lANiCE.png

Thread best viewed in dark-theme

August 17th, 2023 - Early Access
(Free-to-Play in 2024)

Official Site | Discord | Reddit

Wishlist Now

Cqcc6JT.jpg
QSkRAG1.jpg
FhguKyW.jpg
XvIqrnO.jpg
1iZNd4N.png
PEsWo6b.jpg

cJcnOYL.png

Wayfinder_BecomeWayfinder_Steam_610x343.gif
Wayfinder_StrongerTogether_Steam_610x343.gif

Wayfinder_ExploreCraft_Steam_610x343.gif
Wayfinder_ControlChaos_Gloomdagger_Steam_610x343.gif

6V7BHog.png

8x0tJHb.png

3VoVs0N.png

NEW WAYFINDERS ADDED EVERY SEASON
(click image for info page)

zNTPr50.png

rsFBQAE.png

VvnacZp.png

nBsQOrh.png

> FULL FAQ <

> FOUNDER EDITIONS <

8LTp8P0.png

xwPytQA.png

Developed & published by

n0vOmIt.png

Last edited:
Nice thread! Not sure about the game though, I've watched a few gameplay videos and it looks kinda float-y and low-budget. For free to play there's no harm in checking it out though.

VN1X

Banned
OT title is a reference to World of Warcraft + Warframe but that might be lost on some lol. Not exactly inspired though so feel free to come up with a better subtitle btw and I'll happily change it!

"Free to play, but not now! Now you pay money!" games can fuck right off. All the monetization garbage, and they still hold it back with a paywall that shouldn't be there. Paid early access for a free to play game is an oxymoron.

Disney "free to play" games have been really stupid about this as well. Nice job on the OT, though.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
"Free to play, but not now! Now you pay money!" games can fuck right off. All the monetization garbage, and they still hold it back with a paywall that shouldn't be there. Paid early access for a free to play game is an oxymoron.

Disney "free to play" games have been really stupid about this as well. Nice job on the OT, though.
If this was any other company I'd echo that sentiment but this is very much supported (and inspired by) the Warframe people and their approach to monetization. Basically everything will be free to earn, like in Warframe, and premium currency is mostly used to either circumvent that or to simply buy cosmetics. I don't hate it!

The founder's season/early access period is what it is. You can get in very cheap (starting from 18eu) and considering the amount I've (lovingly) spent on Warframe over the years I don't mind that at all. If anything I'll probably go for the Exalted Pack as the content you get from it is nothing to scoff at. If I manage to get 200-300 hours out of the game that'd be money well spent in my opinion.

If this was any other company I'd echo that sentiment but this is very much supported (and inspired by) the Warframe people and their approach to monetization. Basically everything will be free to earn, like in Warframe, and premium currency is mostly used to either circumvent that or to simply buy cosmetics. I don't hate it!

The founder's season/early access period is what it is. You can get in very cheap (starting from 18eu) and considering the amount I've (lovingly) spent on Warframe over the years I don't mind that at all. If anything I'll probably go for the Exalted Pack as the content you get from it is nothing to scoff at. If I manage to get 200-300 hours out of the game that'd be money well spent in my opinion.
This is the publisher of Warframe, not the developer, right? And it's hard to tell what the future will bring with any game, but you're right that Warframe does f2p the best way possible. I mainly get frustrated because the best part of f2p is being able to tell any friend to download a game and try it with me. I get why publishers do this, but it still bothers me.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Dunno about the game itself but I'm not digging that art style. It's way overused these days because everyone wants to be the new Fortnite.

AzekZero

Neo Member
I tried one of the Wayfinder playtests and the gameplay and character designs didn't click with me. Thats on top of my concerns about its content pipeline.

Hopefully I'm in the minority and this game finds its audience.

VN1X

Banned
This is the publisher of Warframe, not the developer, right? And it's hard to tell what the future will bring with any game, but you're right that Warframe does f2p the best way possible. I mainly get frustrated because the best part of f2p is being able to tell any friend to download a game and try it with me. I get why publishers do this, but it still bothers me.
Yes but they are actively supporting it in terms of the monetization infrastructure. In previous interviews the devs (Airship Syndicate) have also stated that they deliberately opted for the Warframe model.

VN1X

Banned
I tried one of the Wayfinder playtests and the gameplay and character designs didn't click with me. Thats on top of my concerns about its content pipeline.

Yeah this might turn out to be an absolute dud but with DE behind them I have high hopes.

I love Warframe but I'd also be the first to admit that its gotten way too convoluted over the last few years so I'm always on the look out for something that copies all of its best mechanics and goes back to a simpler progression system. If Wayfinder can get to Warframe 2017 levels of content then I'll be a happy chappy.

Dunno about the game itself but I'm not digging that art style. It's way overused these days because everyone wants to be the new Fortnite.
Huh funny, to me the first thing that came to mind (as evident by the thread title) is World of Warcraft. But more stylized and colourful.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Huh funny, to me the first thing that came to mind (as evident by the thread title) is World of Warcraft. But more stylized and colourful.
True, that's a fair comparison too. Many games use that kind of art style these days tbh, but my guess would be that they're trying to attract that Fortnite crowd the most. To me, what defines that style the most are very colourful graphics, characters and objects with exaggerated features and spiky, jagged edges, but still nicely detailed and shiny, lots of special effects and particles, Pixar-style animations, etc.

Kingdoms of Amalur, Borderlands, Darksiders, Torchlight, Paladins, Dota, Warcraft, Fortnite, Star Trek Prodigy, that upcoming Prince of Persia game... all of them look kinda similar to each other and it just starts to blend together in my mind the more of them I see, lol.

Killjoy-NL

I actually really enjoyed the last beta and am considering to buy the Awakened Pack (I want that mount and instantaccess to that new character).

But I too have some concerns about the content pipeline.
Then again, I can miss the money and I've bought 6-hour games at €60-€70 without any regrets, so as long as I get my enjoyment out the game, I'm not too worried.

I do hope this will be one of those games I can always casually and regularly enjoy in between major releases and I'm cautiously optimistic.

VN1X

Banned
Great work on the OT.
Thanks! Took me much longer than I anticipated 'cause I'm so rusty with photoshop but I had fun doing it.

Also cheers for the Gold (or if it wasn't you then whoever it was :messenger_heart:)!
I was interested in this but the lack of customization kind of drags it down for me.
Hmm I was under the assumption that all characters can at least equip all weapons? Correct me if I'm wrong on that though.

One aspect that I've seen some people misunderstand, or be disappointed by, is the fact that you're not necessarily playing a "class" per se rather than, well, a character with their own lore and abilities. Again taking a page out of DE's book. Now, considering how mental Warframe gets with customization I don't see why Wayfinder can't do exactly that. They even let you equip mods on the characters!

(lol the more I talk about this game the more I realize that it's almost a one-to-one Warframe reskin but I'm all for it hah)

I don't have PS Plus anymore, I know you can play free-to-play games online without it, but can you play this without PS Plus if you pay for the early access founders pack? Since the game is still a F2P game but you paid to play it, if that makes sense? I imagine you can, since the Founders Pack is just a glorified microtransaction. I might check it out next week.

VN1X

Banned
I don't have PS Plus anymore, I know you can play free-to-play games online without it, but can you play this without PS Plus if you pay for the early access founders pack? Since the game is still a F2P game but you paid to play it, if that makes sense? I imagine you can, since the Founders Pack is just a glorified microtransaction. I might check it out next week.
You need PS Plus for the Early Access period but that's mostly down to Sony's own policies. Once it goes Free-to-Play you don't need any type of monthly console subscription.

Last edited:
You need PS Plus for the Early Access period but that's mostly down to Sony's own policies. Once it goes Free-to-Play you don't need any type of monthly console subscription.
Dang too bad, I don't have any plans to re-subscribe at the moment so I'll wait to check it out until it's true release. Probably won't be too long.

nikos

Nice OT!

The alpha was pretty good. Looking forward to early access and seeing how it has improved.

drotahorror

Nice OT, I haven't heard much about this game. I loved Darksiders Genesis and this doesn't look like that at all. I loved Warframe as well a few years ago, got about 500 hours out of it.

Definitely going to keep it on my watchlist.

VN1X

Banned
JUST ONE MORE SLEEP.

I really hope it's decent as I could go for a fun grind-em-up right about now. Anyway, here's some more screenshots for yer eyeballs to gawk at:

hffoKHF.png
R4RZypP.png
Y4B2G0x.png
ROG8qUd.png
m8d9PrR.png
NsAqPn1.png

ySoJjqb.png

YMUSGOQ.png

R3uVAqn.png

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
System reqs and the confirmation (that was posted earlier today) of the release being on track now:

mA1T83t.png

uekm06F.png

Last edited:

nikos

Excited for this!

Need to choose a character. Are we meant to play multiple characters or focus on one?

Killjoy-NL

Finally, downloading now.

Bought the Awakened pack, excited to play with Venomess.

Glad the wait is over, really hope this will be my newest go-to game.

VN1X

Banned
It's live!

Got it downloaded and everything but unfortunately it seems no one's able to get in lol. Oh well, this was to be expected but considering the amount of people trying to log in right now I'm kind of surprised they don't have the capacity for that. Guess I'll try a bit later.

Last edited:
It's Joe Madureira's work.

cd759b3569c1dc1f310f2c9fcd1b2e66.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

DSbU3MYVAAEvbcW.jpg

DSbU3MPVAAEC1NY.jpg

s-l1200.webp

He also was one of the main art designers behind the Darksiders series(which people also compared to WoW in art style) and his studio Airship Syndicate, who also made this game, is behind Battle Chasers and Ruined King. You might also recognize his art from his 90s works, Udon collaborations, and Playstation Magazine. I know it's colorful(and that makes people instantly think of Fortnite on this forum for some reason) but once you play the game or look at more footage of it, you'll start to notice the differences in art style and his usage of sharp, sometimes rigid lines over curves.

Drizzlehell

Banned
It's Joe Madureira's work.

cd759b3569c1dc1f310f2c9fcd1b2e66.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

DSbU3MYVAAEvbcW.jpg

DSbU3MPVAAEC1NY.jpg

s-l1200.webp

He also was one of the main art designers behind the Darksiders series(which people also compared to WoW in art style) and his studio Airship Syndicate, who also made this game, is behind Battle Chasers and Ruined King. You might also recognize his art from his 90s works, Udon collaborations, and Playstation Magazine. I know it's colorful(and that makes people instantly think of Fortnite on this forum for some reason) but once you play the game or look at more footage of it, you'll start to notice the differences in art style and his usage of sharp, sometimes rigid lines over curves.
Yeah, that actually explains a lot. I can't remember if I mentioned Darksiders but it was definitely one of the earliest examples of this style in video games, and I actually liked it a lot in that series. It gave it it's own unique identity. Also, I gotta be honest, this looks way cooler on paper than after being translated into 3D models.

Overall, I didn't want to give an impression that I think this art style is ugly or anything, but I just think that it's kinda overused. Whether deliberately or not, there's a lot of games these days that seem to imitate it to some degree.

Yeah, that actually explains a lot. I can't remember if I mentioned Darksiders but it was definitely one of the earliest examples of this style in video games, and I actually liked it a lot in that series. It gave it it's own unique identity. Also, I gotta be honest, this looks way cooler on paper than after being translated into 3D models.

Overall, I didn't want to give an impression that I think this art style is ugly or anything, but I just think that it's kinda overused. Whether deliberately or not, there's a lot of games these days that seem to imitate it to some degree.
To take a step back and look at it from that perspective I understand. Before Fortnite was no. 1, this guy's art would be compared to WoW constantly before that, and I'm sure it was compared to something else before WoW, so I'm sure for him it's nothing new lol.

I just wanted to help give a bit more context for anyone else who enters the thread. There are admittedly times when companies will have similar color palettes or design choices at first glance, but I still like giving each product a chance on their own merits. I remember when people made fun of the 'leather' era of movies:

...but that doesn't mean all of these movies weren't great though. Also when you think about it, after they blew up in popularity a lot of other movies imitated them or leaned into that style a bit more. Some were successful, some weren't 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
The funny thing is, last year this game was my number 2 anticipated online RPG. Blue Protocol was number 1. I managed to get into a closed test for WF earlier this year and noticed how good this game plays. Obviously can't say much due to NDA, but the test I've played combined with the fact that Amazon Games bought Blue Protocol, made them instantly switch places for me. I will talk more about what I've experienced in the closed test and how it changed for this release, once people are confirmed fully able to get into the servers.

A western 'Phantasy Star Online 1' is what I'm leaning towards in terms of overall description.

Freeman76

The funny thing is, last year this game was my number 2 anticipated online RPG. Blue Protocol was number 1. I managed to get into a closed test for WF earlier this year and noticed how good this game plays. Obviously can't say much due to NDA, but the test I've played combined with the fact that Amazon Games bought Blue Protocol, made them instantly switch places for me. I will talk more about what I've experienced in the closed test and how it changed for this release, once people are confirmed fully able to get into the servers.

A western 'Phantasy Star Online 1' is what I'm leaning towards in terms of overall description.
Wtf....its like PSO??????

VN1X

Banned
Bit of a bummer that even with the two day delay most, if not all, folks still weren't able to play. Guess I'll try again tomorrow!

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'm watching some videos on it and it looks kinda fun, but I feel that if I'm gonna start playing one more live service game then I'm gonna develop lumbago from all that labouring that needs to be done in them.

It'd be a lot cooler if this was just a regular-ass single player RPG that you can just play for 30 hours and forget about it forever.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
When servers aren't toast I'll be giving it a try. PSO + Warframe seems like a good comparison for what to expect. It seems promising. I enjoyed Warframe years ago before it got complicated. And it seems like you can play solo or with friends.

Not sure on Digital Extremes involvement but they are publishing it and made Warframe so we will see.

VN1X

Banned
Queues are a thing now. I logged in and was able to get past all the EULA stuff. 48 min wait time at the moment though soooo yeah I'll give it another try tomorrow.

Hope the rest of you fair better! :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

VN1X

Banned
Oof okay so 10:30AM down here now and am trying again but it says "maximum player capacity reached" and according to Steam there's only 7000 people playing right now (and that doesn't even mean they are actually playing but could just be chilling in the main menu).

This is kind of bad. I mean I can excuse all kinds of technical hiccups that the game might have during EA but to not even be able to get in is kind of a poor first showing. More so as this is supposed to be the next Warframe (and especially as it has the backing of Digital Extremes).

Last edited:
Top Bottom