• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wayfinder |OT| World of Warframe

Zheph

Still a huge mess? I don't see many people on it. Gonna keep waiting alto what I saw on youtube does look good

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Oof okay so 10:30AM down here now and am trying again but it says "maximum player capacity reached" and according to Steam there's only 7000 people playing right now (and that doesn't even mean they are actually playing but could just be chilling in the main menu).

This is kind of bad. I mean I can excuse all kinds of technical hiccups that the game might have during EA but to not even be able to get in is kind of a poor first showing. More so as this is supposed to be the next Warframe (and especially as it has the backing of Digital Extremes).
Yeah got the same thing. Will probably try logging in once every couple of hours. Seems like a bad launch. Not sure if they prioritize players with higher paying founder's packs or not.

VN1X

Banned
Yeah got the same thing. Will probably try logging in once every couple of hours. Seems like a bad launch. Not sure if they prioritize players with higher paying founder's packs or not.
dGpETUx.png

This made me chuckle. Especially as I've been doing the same thing...

Killjoy-NL

Oof okay so 10:30AM down here now and am trying again but it says "maximum player capacity reached" and according to Steam there's only 7000 people playing right now (and that doesn't even mean they are actually playing but could just be chilling in the main menu).

This is kind of bad. I mean I can excuse all kinds of technical hiccups that the game might have during EA but to not even be able to get in is kind of a poor first showing. More so as this is supposed to be the next Warframe (and especially as it has the backing of Digital Extremes).
According to their Twitter, they have let the current temporary solution as is until tomorrow and they'll provide an update on the current situation and what happened.

Kinda sucks, but guess I can try to finish FFXIV Endwalker until they get their issues solved.

VN1X

Banned
Got in once after a two hour queue time. I managed to clear the tutorial and accept a quest. The game then proceeds to load an area and kicks me back to the main menu which then results me being put into the back of the queue (which at that point had ballooned to about 18.000 people). jerryseinfeldimout.gif

fl46Ciu.png

At least I'm having fun in their Discord I guess (it's a shit show over there right now).

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Probably best to hold off for a week. I managed to get in and play through the tutorial but the game seems to frequently crash to desktop due to overloaded servers. I enjoyed the 5 minutes I played but this glorified "stress test" isn't a good use of time.

I don't think they expected half the userbase of Warframe to hop on over to give it a whirl. When they should have.

To make matters worse a lot of gamers are quite upset for spending money on a game they can't really play.

It's a mess.

M.W.

Queue's have gotten faster and the devs said they are staying there until they right the ship. They are also upgrading their database right now. Game is super fun once you get in.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Queue's have gotten faster and the devs said they are staying there until they right the ship. They are also upgrading their database right now. Game is super fun once you get in.
I'll see how stable it is tomorrow. What little I played seemed like a lot of Hack and Slash fun.

Wtf....its like PSO??????
Sorry to keep you waiting. To expand on what I mean, I will explain the gameplay loop. Keep in mind this was the loop from the closed test, so things might have changed a bit since then(like where you start the game for example).

There are two big parts of the game that make it feel like a mashup: The world and towns, and the dungeon system.

The world and towns are separated into big instanced open zones/hubs where you can explore, encounter other players, and possibly do small quests here or there(I didn't get to play enough to make sure there's more). The real aspect of the game from what I played was the dungeon system, which reminded me more of PSO and less like others. Each dungeon has an identifier that is unique to each person. You basically can join other players' dungeons when queueing if they make theirs public. You can change a ton of different aspects of a dungeon run, from difficulty, to modifiers, to enemy type, to layout, to treasure type, etc. and then once entered, you will play that specific instance of a dungeon. The instance can also be affected by the amount of people joining and what classes they are. The more difficult or different you make the experience, the higher chance you will receive better loot or more unique loot. For example, a dungeon that has enemies that do poison damage + fire damage has a higher chance of giving you a unique weapon with two elements or something crazier. There are also character modifiers and leveling modifiers that I didn't get a good enough chance to dig into.

The dungeons are just short enough/long enough to where you feel like you had a fun and unique experience but don't feel worn out after a run(PSO 1 was also great at doing this). I don't know how often maps can repeat but from what I played I had a few similar sections within the map, but no actual repeated map. I played Warrior and the combat felt weighted, deliberate, yet light enough to not feel like you were cheaply hit or stuck too much in an animation. It was about making timely swings(another aspect that reminded me of PSO 1 Hunter class yet felt modernized). I'm sure there's a lot I'm missing, but I don't want to hype this game up to unreachable standards because I want it to be reviewed by it's own merits and not try to match it to another's. I'm simply saying it gave me that feeling of PSO once I dug into what the actual gameplay loop was, because I felt that a lot of the media around this game has been showing the world and town open zone segments instead of what they should be showing, which is the dungeon system.

I will have to play early access to find out more, such as if the game has sort of MAG-like system and how deep the leveling system is, because there were some things I saw that potentially could make a ton of people with the same class, wildly unique from each other in playstyle.

Mossybrew

Yeah, 12k queue last night, game completely down as of like 15 min ago. Bummer, but I can be patient. Back to Everspace 2!

xBlueStonex

One of the worst launches I've ever tried to play. Bought the game yesterday and have played - literally - 5 minutes. The rest of my time has been spent in the queue.

So they took the servers down today to deploy some fixes that were supposed to help login and queue issues but the queue was still 16k and took 2 hours to get through. Going to request a refund through steam. Disappointing for sure.

VN1X

Banned
One of the worst launches I've ever tried to play. Bought the game yesterday and have played - literally - 5 minutes. The rest of my time has been spent in the queue.
Yup me and a friend have been trying to get in and I've only been able to do the tutorial. Otherwise I've constantly been kicked out of the queue or simply unable to login as they've disabled the servers (yet again). Baffling to say the least.

I bet the artists and gameplay devs are real happy right about now with the suits and the people responsible for the server infrastructure lol. Imagine spending years of your life slaving away, trying to create a fun and interesting world... only for them the fumble the soft launch spectacularly.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Yup me and a friend have been trying to get in and I've only been able to do the tutorial. Otherwise I've constantly been kicked out of the queue or simply unable to login as they've disabled the servers (yet again). Baffling to say the least.

I bet the artists and gameplay devs are real happy right about now with the suits and the people responsible for the server infrastructure lol. Imagine spending years of your life slaving away, trying to create a fun and interesting world... only for them the fumble the soft launch spectacularly.
What I think is a bit weird, is that Digital Extremes supposedly helped prepare the servers.
So how come it's this messy?

If it weren't for the fact that I still had the FFXIV Endwalker main story to finish, I'd be a kinda pissed right now.

Having said that, this can be expected from Early Acces, as shitty as it is.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Like I said it's best to just wait a week. They seem to have royally fucked up with server load given 30k-40k people are trying to play with half that number perpetually sitting in a queue.

I'd laugh if it took them until September to figure out this stuff and then the game dies because everyone will be playing Starfield.

VN1X

Banned
Like I said it's best to just wait a week. They seem to have royally fucked up with server load given 30k-40k people are trying to play with half that number perpetually sitting in a queue.

I'd laugh if it took them until September to figure out this stuff and then the game dies because everyone will be playing Starfield.
Finally a grind-em-up I can enjoy from the comfort of my couch with a controller and it's literally unplayable hah.

But yeah hopefully they've ironed out this stuff in a few days.

pls

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Finally a grind-em-up I can enjoy from the comfort of my couch with a controller and it's literally unplayable hah.

pls
Yeah a beat em up like this is kinda what I've been asking for. It'll probably have potential once it gets going just like Warframe. I just hope it doesn't become like current Warframe. Lots of current decisions turned me off the game a while back. Especially as a solo player.

M.W.

Steam says 17 hours played lol - I'd say 14 of that is waiting in queues. I'm dropping it for a bit and will get back to it at some point.

pls
What’s your over/under prediction on when this will be fixed? I had a feeling this was going to be a server slam and decided to also wait, even though I’ve been anticipating this since the closed beta test.

I hope it doesn’t kill the game’s momentum too badly, as I’ve been waiting for an online multiplayer game like this for a while.

VN1X

Banned
What’s your over/under prediction on when this will be fixed? I had a feeling this was going to be a server slam and decided to also wait, even though I’ve been anticipating this since the closed beta test.

I hope it doesn’t kill the game’s momentum too badly, as I’ve been waiting for an online multiplayer game like this for a while.
Well as of writing these are their latest server updates so I would guess that by tomorrow, at least, we'll see some genuine improvements with regards to disconnects and the total amount of players that can get into the game. Fingers crossed.

yolJuGx.png

I mean, for a GAAS game, penetration (pen test) and server/ stress test. Should be like in the top 3 things to do and check for before launching a game or application to the public.
Looks like some positive news
Messy to botch your early access but the few people who did play it seem to quite enjoy the game
This developer has an amazing track record…for single player games. It’s why I’m more forgiving of their current situation, because what I played months ago was very fun with a very smooth gameplay feel. I just hope others’ patience doesn’t fully run out.

VN1X

Banned
I mean, for a GAAS game, penetration (pen test) and server/ stress test. Should be like in the top 3 things to do and check for before launching a game or application to the public.
It's odd as well because all of their pre-release marketing pointed towards a rather big interest in this game. So many trailers and content creator err... content all had a ton of views. Now granted you can't simply extrapolate very meaningful numbers from those types of things but it's easy to see that the engagement was on the high end.

All the more baffling with DE behind it as a publisher. Gah, I know I sound like a broken record but the entire situation has just been ridiculous.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Their early access period is 6 months until it supposedly comes out of early access. Either there is some internal sabotage going on or they are inexperienced when it comes to developing an MMO Lite.

The game is good but the uh 30k queue and chance to play for maybe an hour after waiting in line for 5 hours is unappealing until there is stability.

Having Digital Extremes publish the game seems like a double edged sword given Warframe players were jumping in on this.

Proper progress at last. Really hope they manage to get rid of the queue all together by the end of this month.

Also I'm tired of writing queue.
For a newcomer to online MMO-style games, this is not bad at all. This is happening faster than I expected(I was betting on mid-September). I've been reading online that the queue load went from 20k to 2k, which is wonderful news.

Killjoy-NL

For a newcomer to online MMO-style games, this is not bad at all. This is happening faster than I expected(I was betting on mid-September). I've been reading online that the queue load went from 20k to 2k, which is wonderful news.
Yeah, queue went down to about 2.5k-3.5K.
Wait times about 10-15 minutes.

There's some other other issues that popped up though, like timeouts during loading, resulting in players getting stuck in dungeons.

Last edited:
The more I see of this game on streams and YouTube vids, the more I’m starting to see how it took some inspiration from Dot Hack and Dot Hack GU.

I noticed that eventually you can unlock two dungeon modifiers, which leads to more variations of enemies, dungeons and layouts, much like when you unlocked the second ‘word string’ when first playing Dot Hack. This is in addition to difficulty selection and the altar at the beginning of the dungeon stage.

I also noticed a quest where there’s a guy the player meets in a specific stage and he’s named ‘Old Kite’. He gives the player a side quest to hunt down his former gang members and, get this, the way to hunt one of them down is to apply a specific imbue/modifier when starting a specific dungeon, so that you can reach their specific variation of that dungeon, find them, and fight them. They won’t appear otherwise. That’s very much a Dot Hack thing.

It even goes as far as how the weapons level up individually the more you use them and how they’re upgraded, including the bonuses you can slot in. Also when you look up how to get certain materials for new weapons, the requirements lead you to looking for them in different dungeon variations and fighting different versions of enemies.

I’m leaving out the “real world” aspect to Dot Hack, where you log out and check message boards and newspaper articles for clues, due to obvious reasons of how this game isn’t trying to be that because it is an online game lol. Also obviously there are differences like the fact that Wayfinder is attempting to do both the overworld exploration stuff and random dungeon stuff in their own ambitious way.

If you are reading this post and thinking “I don’t quite see it” play this track as you’re in the big starting zone, skylight, and consider everything…

…even how there’s a big warp gate to enter dungeons right at the front, where other players with various cool weapons and armor gather, sometimes come, and sometimes go. And you’ll see different people every time you come back. It’s quite the coincidence(in a good way).

sono

Great OT
but
I am confused by the reference to Warframe which is a very different looking game

Great OT
but
I am confused by the reference to Warframe which is a very different looking game

The publisher of Wayfinder is Digital Extremes. They also helped with the development on this game.

Mossybrew

Finally got to play last night. I'm mostly digging it, combat is nice and snappy, I like the art style. There's kind of a lot to take in at first but I'm sure all these materials and crafting and stuff will gradually make more sense. My main complaint right now is the camera, I want to be in closer to my character but there's no option to adjust it, really hoping that's added at some point. Also the NPCs in town definitely need some animation routines, as they just stand around like mannequins currently. Pretty fun and I look forward to playing more.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Great OT
but

It's concept are very similar to Warframe, going so far as to be directly inspired by a lot of the mechanics found in that game. Plus it's published by the same company as Warframe, Digital Extremes.

Also, I couldn't think of any better OT subtitle lol so feel free to come up with something better and we'll change it!

VN1X

Banned
Sooo now that I'm finally able to get some proper play time in I don't know if I actually enjoy it. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

To be honest I find the combat kind of dull (especially in such an egregious example as seen below) but also the mechanics and onboarding in general to be far too obtuse than they need to be. Characters constantly talk in expository manner and by the time you're done with a single dialogue tree they've thrown a bunch of new terminology at you that only serves to confuse rather than to provide engaging quest lines.

I think for now I'll try to get a refund and come back once the early access period is over. My biggest issue is that they definitely need to clean up the AI, camera and the ranged combat because right now it's simply bore and I'd much rather get my power fantasy back on in Warframe where, from the first mission you undertake, you're dispatching hundreds of enemies and even something like traversing the map itself is super fun due to the movement abilities. So yeah bit of a disappointment so far.

Last edited:

Salz01

I like the world and graphics, but the combat and lack of character customization and real loot, drags it down for me.

VN1X

Banned
the game tanked tho that's why
What? If anything the game's been a success for them as they estimated the player numbers to be far lower than what they were for the soft launch (now you can argue that this doesn't inspire confidence in its own right but that's another matter). Also, plenty of games follow this model where the Early Access (or closed beta period) will be paid to access and when they fully launch it'll be free-to-play. They do this for a variety of reasons (funding being a big factor obviously) and like I said: they've been fully transparent of this fact as well. Hell, I even put it at the top of the OP.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Sooo now that I'm finally able to get some proper play time in I don't know if I actually enjoy it. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

To be honest I find the combat kind of dull (especially in such an egregious example as seen below) but also the mechanics and onboarding in general to be far too obtuse than they need to be. Characters constantly talk in expository manner and by the time you're done with a single dialogue tree they've thrown a bunch of new terminology at you that only serves to confuse rather than to provide engaging quest lines.

I think for now I'll try to get a refund and come back once the early access period is over. My biggest issue is that they definitely need to clean up the AI, camera and the ranged combat because right now it's simply bore and I'd much rather get my power fantasy back on in Warframe where, from the first mission you undertake, you're dispatching hundreds of enemies and even something like traversing the map itself is super fun due to the movement abilities. So yeah bit of a disappointment so far.

Tbf combat becomes a lot more hectic and enjoyable as you get higher level and you start working on your wayfinders build.

At lvl 5 you really haven't had a proper experience. Not at all, tbh.

Also, I believe the enemies in your video have some kind of modifier, with an overshield that can be destroyed by (heavy?) melee attacks, if I'm not mistaken.

Atm I'm lvl 28 (or 29) and I must say that the game has a lot more depth than I initially thought.
Also, as you build your character and pick your skill-upgrades, gameplay becomes a lot faster, more entertaining and challenging at higher level Lost Zones.

I think you should give it some more time, as do others that might have been impacted by the server-issues of this past week.

VN1X

Banned
Tbf combat becomes a lot more hectic and enjoyable as you get higher level and you start working on your wayfinders build.

At lvl 5 you really haven't had a proper experience. Not at all, tbh.

Also, I believe the enemies in your video have some kind of modifier, with an overshield that can be destroyed by (heavy?) melee attacks, if I'm not mistaken.

Atm I'm lvl 28 (or 29) and I must say that the game has a lot more depth than I initially thought.
Also, as you build your character and pick your skill-upgrades, gameplay becomes a lot faster, more entertaining and challenging at higher level Lost Zones.

I think you should give it some more time, as do others that might have been impacted by the server-issues of this past week.
Don't think I'll be able to get a refund anyway so I'm stuck with it lol.

One major issue I have is that you can literally only carry one weapon. I guess that's my own fault for not checking up on that sort of thing sooner but seems like a bit of an oversight? You don't even get a side-arm or a puny knife.

Killjoy-NL

One major issue I have is that you can literally only carry one weapon. I guess that's my own fault for not checking up on that sort of thing sooner but seems like a bit of an oversight? You don't even get a side-arm or a puny knife.
Yeah, it's not like Warframe, where you get a sidearm.

But on the other hand, each weapon has it's own active ability and a Wayfinders passive might add passive abilities to weapons.
For example, I'm playing as Venomess and her passive ability allows her weapon to add a poison-debuff that stacks. That goes for any weapon, like the scythe or a rifle.

There are also a couple of passives you can unlock as you upgrade your affinities, and your skills can be upgraded as well, adding passive abilities to each ability.
Not sure, but I don't think it's possible to fully upgrade everything, so you have to choose how to build your wayfinder, allowing for lots of varied builds.

I really like it so far. Also the grind for echoes, similar to Warframe. The stat-boosts.
The thing it has over Warframe imo is the absence of time-gates.

Having said that, content might be a thing in the future.

I like the world and graphics, but the combat and lack of character customization and real loot, drags it down for me.

I think they need to do a better job of advertising what this game actually is.

Salz01 Salz01 you came into this expecting a typical looter RPG, but the structure of progress is closer to something like Warframe(but not an exact copy), where the loot you get are materials to create the new weapons and accessories that you seek.

VN1X VN1X you're expecting it to be a game that's 1:1 Warframe with sidearms and blazing fast movement speed, but that would make the game itself a bit redundant since Warframe already exists.

I'll stand by my statements earlier that a better comparison is probably either Phantasy Star Online 1, or Dot Hack GU, minus the loot aspect. I don't know how they will manage to advertise this properly, because they've already given the wrong impression to media sources that the overworld is the draw of the game, when the actual draw happens to be the dungeons and their variations.

Top Bottom