• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB up for sale

Out of the known candidates, who do you think is gonna get it?

• EA

Votes: 11 3.1%
  • Take-Two

Votes: 14 3.9%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 174 48.5%
  • Sony

Votes: 89 24.8%
  • Tencent

Votes: 61 17.0%
  • Neteasy

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • PUBG Corp.

Votes: 5 1.4%

• Total voters

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
In regards to licensing IP, I'd have to imagine all of the potential buyers would be interested in the DC Comics characters and their universes.

The studios themselves? Maybe Tencent would like to expand their western portfolio further? I dunno.

Hezekiah

Banned
If WB is going to retain the ownership of the IPs, then I don't see purchasing just the studios being that attractive. Sure, you can do exclusive deals on games, but then you're paying on top of already paying to buy the studios. If you end up having to license the IPs anyway, then just license the IPs and either have your own teams make the games or via 2nd party partners. There's no need to actually buy the studios. If there are certain people you want from the WB studios, then just poach them and hire them onto your internal teams.
Yeah I'm sure WB will keep hold of the IPs.

Okay so probably WB will keep the IPs but license them to whoever buys the gaming branch.
But would that mean their games can't be exclusives? or would it be like a Disney-Sony deal with Spider-Man?
Who knows, but if they can make the games exclusive MS would benefit from having their own big superhero game with Batman or the other DC properties.
But Sony really needs their own fighting game, couple that with them owning EVO and well, it kinda makes sense for them to to purchase NetherRealm and being the ones in charge of MK.

onesvenus

Not sure why WB Discovery or whatever their name is, would be looking to split up their divisions and content so soon after the merger.
It sounds like the head of Discovery has been very proactive in replacing the current leadership with those he has deemed "loyal." So it probably isn't much of a surprise as he is aggressively trimming what he deems as "fat."

Not sure why WB Discovery or whatever their name is, would be looking to split up their divisions and content so soon after the merger.
WB Discovery just cancelled two CW shows. They are absolutely trimming the fat, post-merger, and we will see more cancellations and layoffs soon on all fronts. My guess as I've said in the off-topic thread: Arrowverse will be fully dead within 2-3 years(give or take greenlit seasons) and Snyderverse will be dead soon after(with sequel cancellations).

MScarpa

Because you are telling me so? Your attempt to explain why that is the case was extremely unconvincing so far.

This whole thing of pretending MS is such a force for good is beyond absurd and quite disturbing to be honest, same goes for Sony to lesser extend since at least they are a considerably smaller company compared to MS. Both would skin players alive if they thought that would be the optimal way to make money.
They can skin me alive, as long as they do it on Gamepass!

Dolodolo

They will sell the studios and licensing deal at the same time. Sony is already in tight with marvel. I doubt they want to put any part of that deal in risk when it comes to Spiderman
The risk is only in your head.

All contracts have been concluded for a long time, and Marvel and Disney are not going to pay a huge penalty for breaking it. Especially considering that Spider-Man has sold close to 30 million copies. And I don't count Miles Morales.

They don't care who or what else Sony will work on, as long as it doesn't get in the way of Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine
No there is nothing that would stop ms buying other companies. Deals dont have to be announced until they are ready. For all we know they are working on other deals right now.
Specially for you, once again.

This is no ordinary studio purchase. This is the redemption of the studio from another giant. That is, they will need to immediately announce it.

If all negotiations are going on right now, then given the meticulousness of regulators regarding the deal with Activision, which will take place only by the beginning of next year, then Microsoft will not risk it.

Rac3r

Microsoft isn’t buying another publisher anytime soon after blowing their load on Bethesda and Activision/Blizzard. Last thing they want to do is draw more scrutiny before the Activision deal closes. Even if they could get away with it, adding 30+ studios in under 3 years is actually retarded. It would be a nightmare to manage.

My guess is Tencent or Sony.

Kagey K

Banned
You do realise at some point MS will get blocked from buying anymore publishers and developers. Do you think they will have carte blanche to just buy anyone and everyone?
If Embracer can buy anyone and everyone they please, there's no reason other companies shouldn't be able to do the same.

Yet for some reason MS gets called out as the special child, while everyone around them is doing the same or worse

reksveks

WB Discovery just cancelled two CW shows. They are absolutely trimming the fat, post-merger, and we will see more cancellations and layoffs soon on all fronts. My guess as I've said in the off-topic thread: Arrowverse will be fully dead within 2-3 years(give or take greenlit seasons) and Snyderverse will be dead soon after(with sequel cancellations).
There is a difference between trimming fat and selling WB as a whole though. That's the point that I was getting to

John Wick

If Embracer can buy anyone and everyone they please, there's no reason other companies shouldn't be able to do the same.

Yet for some reason MS gets called out as the special child, while everyone around them is doing the same or worse
Embracer group are third party and small fry compared to MS a tech behemoth. It's laughable you trying to compare a company worth 10 billion with MS.

Kagey K

Banned
Embracer group are third party and small fry compared to MS a tech behemoth. It's laughable you trying to compare a company worth 10 billion with MS.
In the gaming sector they arent that far off from each other.

I love how people dismiss MS in the earnings reports, saying they lose money on gaming and then call them a behemoth in other threads.

It's interesting to watch things shift to fit the current narrative

Last edited:
We talking about gaming and gaming only
MS gaming division Xbox is not a behemoth in gaming it in 3rd place lol
Tencent is bigger in the gaming space than MS so is Sony
All these monopoly nonsense need to stop

That wasn't really my point but OK. And I do plan on getting both a PS and Xbox, at least the former later this year (could be summer depending on availability).

But that's not what my post was about :/.
You don't even need a Xbox just get a decent gaming PC Desktop or even Laptop
& use Steam all MS games goes on Steam day 1 now
This is why i have zero problem with Sony or MS buying more game studios
i will just buy both and not have to worry if the game Devs that i like is going exclusive or not

oldergamer

The risk is only in your head.

All contracts have been concluded for a long time, and Marvel and Disney are not going to pay a huge penalty for breaking it. Especially considering that Spider-Man has sold close to 30 million copies. And I don't count Miles Morales.
Actually that's where you are wrong. Sony doesnt own the spiderman licence for video games. It was part of the deal they worked out with disney connected to working with them on movies. They more recently licensed wolverine from marvel.

You are nuts if you think WB would license batman to them and have it play second fiddle to Spiderman. There is no chance that would happen. It would make little sense from a licensing standpoint.

They don't care who or what else Sony will work on, as long as it doesn't get in the way of Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine

Specially for you, once again.

This is no ordinary studio purchase. This is the redemption of the studio from another giant. That is, they will need to immediately announce it.

If all negotiations are going on right now, then given the meticulousness of regulators regarding the deal with Activision, which will take place only by the beginning of next year, then Microsoft will not risk it.
That isnt necessarily true at all. Nobody is saying that all of WB must be sold. There was talk before of splitting it up. If ms were to purchase studios instead of an entire publisher, there would be far less scrutiny then you may think. Same goes for sony but i dont see them being a front runner on something like this.

Any licensing deal would be multi year and want to ensure DC properties would get as much platform exposure as possible. There are other ways to deals can happen like footing the bill for operations well ahead of a purchase that also doesn't need regulatory approval. There is nothing to stop the negotiating a deal well in advance of anything being disclosed.

Anyway i think many people arent aware of the relationship ms already has with WB helping develop tech to preserve older movies and content long term. They have been partners with WB going back to before hddvd was available.

Last edited:

oldergamer

We talking about gaming and gaming only
MS gaming division Xbox is not a behemoth in gaming it in 3rd place lol
Tencent is bigger in the gaming space than MS so is Sony
All these monopoly nonsense need to stop
True. After AB ms is 3rd or 4th biggest publisher. I thought sony were still ahead of them.

oldergamer

I would actually think sony would have a harder time purching a publicly traded company/publisher then ms would. Considering how as of 2021 still the largest game publisher. Even after ms purchases AB. That was before the studio purchases made this year by sony.

DukeNukem00

Banned
People who are out of microsoft's ecosystem should get in via a computer or a console even if microsoft never buys another studio or publisher ever again. Because they already are gigantic, with over 30 studios and dozens over dozens of games in the pipeline. It doesnt really matter who buys WB or what Microsoft does in the future. Having some blind alegiance to sony and nothing else only hurts you because you're a gamer missing on many games in the future. Look at this monstruosity:

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Someone please save Ed Boon and Nether realm team. I pray to god it's not Tencent. WB is smart, trying to go to a license model with low risk and easy profits.

Dolodolo

Actually that's where you are wrong. Sony doesnt own the spiderman licence for video games. It was part of the deal they worked out with disney connected to working with them on movies. They more recently licensed wolverine from marvel.

You are nuts if you think WB would license batman to them and have it play second fiddle to Spiderman. There is no chance that would happen. It would make little sense from a licensing standpoint.
It has been refuted several times already that there is any connection with the films, but someone, as I see it, continues to believe in it.

Again. Agreements were made. For several games about Spider-Man. And Wolverine, as we recently learned.

In each such agreement there is a penalty clause in the event that one of the parties wishes to terminate the agreement.

It literally doesn't make any sense, especially when even on interest you get a lot of money, including the sale of Spider-Man.

WB won't give a damn what Sony does to Marvel if Sony can deliver the same numbers as it does with Marvel games
Any licensing deal would be multi year and want to ensure DC properties would get as much platform exposure as possible. There are other ways to deals can happen like footing the bill for operations well ahead of a purchase that also doesn't need regulatory approval. There is nothing to stop the negotiating a deal well in advance of anything being disclosed.

Anyway i think many people arent aware of the relationship ms already has with WB helping develop tech to preserve older movies and content long term. They have been partners with WB going back to before hddvd was available.
It won't last for several years.

Discovery wants to just sell the studios and then license the games separately to someone to cut their costs.

And if Microsoft wants to buy the studios, then they will have to announce it.

No one will wait for the Activision deal to close, especially since there are other buyers at the studio who will pay right away.

Открыть Google Переводчик

Оставить отзыв

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
> Sony hosting a State of Play for Hogwart's Legacy.

> Jim Ryan mentioning Mortal Kombat among a list of first-party games as one of the games to launch with PS+ Spartacus

> Gregg and Grubb saying Sony is making a big acquisition that's easily bigger than Kojima Productions.

Chris Pratt Oh Snap GIF

Allandor

Question still is, do they have any licenses? Normally it is just a gaming division which gets the licenses from the mother company. So if you buy the studio, you don't get automatically licenses for former game series.

People who are out of microsoft's ecosystem should get in via a computer or a console even if microsoft never buys another studio or publisher ever again. Because they already are gigantic, with over 30 studios and dozens over dozens of games in the pipeline. It doesnt really matter who buys WB or what Microsoft does in the future. Having some blind alegiance to sony and nothing else only hurts you because you're a gamer missing on many games in the future. Look at this monstruosity:

By that logic people should never buy an Xbox but get a PC instead, having some blind allegiance to Xbox and nothing else only hurts you because you miss all the games that release on PC but not Xbox. Going even further, by that logic no one should ever have bought an Xbox in the past as their output of games, being generous, was extremely lacking for years and years and they just started to try and fix it a few years ago when they started their acquisition spree.

Have you considered that someone might just not care about Xbox games that much? I myself have a PC and yet I don't care about any of their games, not a single one and not for lack of trying. What is that must play game that someone who only have PlayStation is missing compared to Xbox? Forza Horizon? I think people can make their own decision if they need to buy a PC or an Xbox without being shamed into doing so.

Another thing to consider, is that there's nothing stopping someone who prefers to play on PlayStation from having access to these games over the cloud by paying $15, to play whatever it is that they are missing. Cloud is the future anyway right?

With all that said, despite the list you posted including a bunch of studios that will keep releasing their games on PlayStation, I agree, quite the monstrosity.

Last edited:

DukeNukem00

Banned
By that logic people should never buy an Xbox but get a PC instead, having some blind allegiance to Xbox and nothing else only hurts you because you miss all the games that release on PC but not Xbox. Going even further, by that logic no one should ever have bought and Xbox in the past as their output of games, being generous, was extremely lacking for years and years and they just started to try and fix it a few years ago when they started their acquisition spree.

Have you considered that someone might just not care about Xbox games that much? I myself have a PC and yet I don't care about any of their games, not a single one and not for lack of trying. What is that must play game that someone who only have PlayStation is missing compared to Xbox? Forza Horizon? I think people can make their own decision if they need to buy a PC or an Xbox without being shamed into doing so.

Another thing to consider, is that there's nothing stopping someone who prefers to play on PlayStation from having access to these games over the cloud by paying $15, to play whatever it is that they are missing. Cloud is the future anyway right?

With all that said, despite the list you posted including a bunch of studios that will keep releasing their games on PlayStation, I agree, quite the monstrosity.

I think you're letting sony feelings get in the way, you're overanalyzing. There's no "by that logic". Its a fact that microsoft has an enourmous amount of studios and games on the way. Without Activision, without WB and without ever buying another studio than what they have now. What i was saying is that console warriors who think worshiping sony and sony alone wins them something only have to lose by this nonsense cultist stance.

No, i haven't considered that maybe someone is not interested in ANY of their games because thats simply lying bullshit. How can someone be interested in games but not find anything of worth in more than 50 titles ? Zero chance of that happening. The only ones who would say that are sony fans pretending theres nothing good. Which is nonsense.

All im saying is PC or xbox is pretty much mandatory from now on, even if they remain as they are now. Why would a person claiming interest in gaming deprive themselves from so many games and franchises - Doom, Wolf, Elder Scrools, Fallout, etc for no reason other than they're obsessed with sony ? It makes no sense

Last edited:
I think you're letting sony feelings get in the way, you're overanalyzing. There's no "by that logic". Its a fact that microsoft has an enourmous amount of studios and games on the way. Without Activision, without WB and without ever buying another studio than what they have now. What i was saying is that console warriors who think worshiping sony and sony alone wins them something only have to lose by this nonsense cultist stance.

No, i haven't considered that maybe someone is not interested in ANY of their games because thats simply lying bullshit. How can someone be interested in games but not find anything of worth in more than 50 titles ? Zero chance of that happening. The only ones who would say that are sony fans pretending theres nothing good. Which is nonsense.

All im saying is PC or xbox is pretty much mandatory from now on, even if they remain as they are now. Why would a person claiming interest in gaming deprive themselves from so many games and franchises - Doom, Wolf, Elder Scrools, Fallout, etc for no reason other than they're obsessed with sony ? It makes no sense
Funny that you would think like that while not even contemplating the fact that a lot of people simply don't care about Xbox. You are the one who seem to be worshipping them, demanding that people join their ecosystems before anything has actually even released, all based on projection and hopes.

If Xbox is mandatory from now on, PlayStation has been mandatory for 25 years. What you are saying just doesn't make any sense.

You are so full of yourself and Xbox that you can't even conceive that a lot people don't care about any of that, going around calling other people fanboys thinking that we are not smart enough to see what you are doing. Grow up bro.

I'm not interested in anything that they have shown so far, with the exception of maybe Hellblade 2 (but I haven't even played the first one yet a so who knows if I'm going to actually like it), I have no plans to buy any of their announced games, just like I have no plans to buy any games that Ubisoft or Take Two has announced. What is the problem in that? I'm still going to buy plenty of games that other publishers have announced like Baldur's Gate 3, God of War Ragnarok, FFXVI, Forspoken, Breath of the Wild 2, not liking what MS is providing doesn't in anyway means I don't like games.

You are way to full of yourself to think that other people MUST like or MUST be excited about the same things as you are or they aren't interested in games and are just fanboys.

I played Fallout way before Bethesda bought the license to ruin it, as I always played on PC, now I must hear that I have to like that or I'm some sort of fanboy? I played every single Blizzard game until they started to release garbage after garbage. The last CoD I played was probably more than a decade ago. I got tired of playing Doom in the 90s just like I got tired of playing Mortal Kombat. Other than that the the reason I was never into Xbox is because I don't like Halo, Gears or Forza (not for lack of trying) otherwise I'd be an Xbox fan, none of that has changed.

Last edited:

oldergamer

It has been refuted several times already that there is any connection with the films, but someone, as I see it, continues to believe in it.

Refuted with what exactly? Ive yet to see it. Regardless WB isnt selling the studios without the licenses. First most of the studios are making games with those licenses currently, and second it would be a stupid move and set them back years if they didnt ensure the properties they own may be without a licensor in the next 2 years.

If they sell DC licenses, its a long term deal. They know how long it takes to make games.
Again. Agreements were made. For several games about Spider-Man. And Wolverine, as we recently learned.

In each such agreement there is a penalty clause in the event that one of the parties wishes to terminate the agreement.
With every agreement between license holders and licensees, there are always clauses to exit without penalty or with penalty. Lets not pretend that we know specifics in the contract, since we don't

It literally doesn't make any sense, especially when even on interest you get a lot of money, including the sale of Spider-Man.

WB won't give a damn what Sony does to Marvel if Sony can deliver the same numbers as it does with Marvel games

I dont think you have ever worked with license holders before. Especially comic book based properties. Things like what competing licenses one company already holds actually is super important. More important then unknown sales numbers. All wb will care about is if it puts the license in a place that gives it the most high profile exposure.

I think that alone can be a deciding factor. Plenty of companies can afford whatever the license costs, but not many can ensure the license would get the highest priority, most exposure, or reach the largest number of users/ platforms

It won't last for several years.

Discovery wants to just sell the studios and then license the games separately to someone to cut their costs.

And if Microsoft wants to buy the studios, then they will have to announce it.

No one will wait for the Activision deal to close, especially since there are other buyers at the studio who will pay right away
You're stating a lot of assumptions as fact. Nobody would be paying right away.

It seems to me like you are trying to justify reasons ms can't purchase wb and reasons sony could?

They both are publicly traded companies and would have the same regulatory approval. They would both have a waiting period before it would clear. That is if they buy the entire publisher & licenses

The differences are: MS obviously has more cash at hand. Doesn't have any competing comic book licenses. Would reach more platforms then sony ( sony doesnt have a track record of releasing games on othe platfoms like mobile or other consoles. PC is a start & bungie is not the norm) and would have less scrutiny pushing a deal through as they arent the largest money making game publisher in the world, MS sitting at 3rd.

Even with AB purchase in progress, Sony is the number 1 publisher before growing bigger this year. If you noticed Sony haven't been purchasing publicly traded gaming companies. If they did, the the gaming monopoly statements people toss at MS would possibly come into play. They would be far more scrutinized then any company behind them in the market.

That's why i think its less likely.

Last edited:

DukeNukem00

Banned
Funny that you would think like that while not even contemplating the fact that a lot of people simply don't care about Xbox. You are the one who seem to be worshipping them, demanding that people join their ecosystems before anything has actually even released, all based on projection and hopes.

If Xbox is mandatory from now on, PlayStation has been mandatory for 25 years. What you are saying just doesn't make any sense.

You are so full of yourself and Xbox that you can't even conceive that a lot people don't care about any of that, going around calling other people fanboys thinking that we are not smart enough to see what you are doing. Grow up bro.

Jesus christ, a sony fan, ladies and gentleman. Behold the cult that sony somehow managed to create. If a company having cca 35 studios crancking games out "just doesn't make sense" to you, its best if you retire from the conversation. How do you expect to manage topics more complex than that ?

Edgelord79

Gold Member
They cant do shit until acti deal closes, only small studios, or it will threaten the acti deal. That rules out ms if wb needs to sell asap.
Is there a rule somewhere saying you can’t have multiple acquisitions ongoing? Seriously asking here.

Also is there a rule in place saying you can’t have an agreement in principle in place to purchase another company once a current deal closes?

Dolodolo

With every agreement between license holders and licensees, there are always clauses to exit without penalty or with penalty. Lets not pretend that we know specifics in the contract, since we don't
This is not for you to sell cookies.

These are serious deals, secured on both sides by lawyers who literally guarantee its safety.

And of course there will be points with a penalty, in the event of an attempt to terminate from one of the parties.
I dont think you have ever worked with license holders before. Especially comic book based properties. Things like what competing licenses one company already holds actually is super important. More important then unknown sales numbers. All wb will care about is if it puts the license in a place that gives it the most high profile exposure.

I think that alone can be a deciding factor.
We literally have an example where the WB studio makes Lego games under the Marvel license, and Star Wars. What do you want to tell me here?

Sony is literally a living banner that can provide all the attention the WB will want.

Even now, they have marketing for Hogwarts Legacy that is blowing up views on the Playstation channels, although by your logic they should stay away because Sony makes Spider-Man and Wolverine by a "rival" company
You're stating a lot of assumptions as fact. Nobody would be paying right away.

It seems to me like you are trying to justify reasons ms can't purchase wb and reasons sony could?

They both are publicly traded companies and would have the same regulatory approval. They would both have a waiting period before it would clear. That is if they buy the entire publisher & licenses

The differences are: MS obviously has more cash at hand. Doesn't have any competing comic book licenses. Would reach more platforms then sony ( sony doesnt have a track record of releasing games on othe platfoms like mobile or other consoles. Pc is a start & bungie is not the norm) and would have less scrutiny pushing a deal through as they arent the largest money making game publisher in the world, sitting at 3rd.

Even with AB in progress, Sony is the number 1 publisher before growing bigger this year. If you noticed they haven't been purchasing publicly traded companies. If they did, the the gaming monopoly statements people toss at MS would possibly come into play.

That's why i think its less likely.
You can literally think about whatever you want.

Discovery is going to sell its gaming division here and now, piece by piece or not, it doesn't matter.

No one will wait for Microsoft to deal with Activision and the insane regulators.

There are several buyers. They will literally pay them in cash, or in the form of shares and valuable documents.

No one is saying that Microsoft can't buy them. They can. They have the most money, just like you say.

The fact is that right now they need to close the biggest deal in the gaming industry ever, and any moves towards other public companies, or even parts of them, could be considered by regulators as something to hook on and ban the Activision purchase. It's just a fact. Jason Schreier literally talks about this in his latest article. You can read.

Top Bottom