• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB up for sale

Out of the known candidates, who do you think is gonna get it?

• EA

Votes: 11 3.1%
  • Take-Two

Votes: 14 3.9%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 174 48.5%
  • Sony

Votes: 89 24.8%
  • Tencent

Votes: 61 17.0%
  • Neteasy

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • PUBG Corp.

Votes: 5 1.4%

• Total voters
Jesus christ, a sony fan, ladies and gentleman. Behold the cult that sony somehow managed to create. If a company having cca 35 studios crancking games out "just doesn't make sense" to you, its best if you retire from the conversation. How do you expect to manage topics more complex than that ?
The only one who seems to be in a cult is you. I believe people can buy or like whatever they want without making demands or calling people names because they don't buy the same console as you.

There are plenty of people there that like games but are fine with just a Switch as well, are you going to tell them they need to buy an Xbox too or else they are Nintendo fanboys? Very few people have all platforms or see the need to have that, completely normal and has nothing to do with being in a cult.

Last edited:

DukeNukem00

Banned
The only one who seems to be in a cult is you. I believe people can buy or like whatever they want without making demands or calling people names because they don't buy the same console as you.

There are plenty of people there that like games but are fine with just a Switch as well, are you going to tell them they need to buy an Xbox too or else they are Nintendo fanboys? Very few people have all platforms or see the need to have that, completely normal and has nothing to do with being in a cult.

Why are you pretending to be a victim when my original post was merely pointing out that microsoft has a sizable army of studios and games and people who are not into their ecosystem would benefit from getting in. You came screaming how iT dOeSnT maKe SeNsE to contemplate getting into them if you like games. You;re not fooling anyone pall. You're the type of sony fan that gives all of us a bad name online

Why are you pretending to be a victim when my original post was merely pointing out that microsoft has a sizable army of studios and games and people who are not into their ecosystem would benefit from getting in. You came screaming how iT dOeSnT maKe SeNsE to contemplate getting into them if you like games. You;re not fooling anyone pall. You're the type of sony fan that gives all of us a bad name online
Ok bye, I won't get into this with you if you are not going to stand by what you wrote and pretend that I'm making it up when everyone can still go there and read it.

I play mostly on PC yet I know multiple people that play only on a Switch or only on a PlayStation and are more than ok with that and don't think that they are missing out on anything or that they should go out an buy an Xbox because of how big MS is or how many publishers it has acquired.

Last edited:
Sony has grown since last year. Anyone saying monopoly for ms and not sony really isnt being honest with themselves
Im gone to say this one last time
No one has a Monopoly MS or Sony can buy all of
EA, Ubisoft, WB, Take 2, Square, Capcom, Sega, Bandai, Konami & it still would not be a monopoly

The gaming market is so huge & fragmented with Mobile, Consoles & PC
That one company can own all that and it would still be nowhere near a monopoly
So anyone still trying to play the Monopoly card is a idiot

Im gone to say this one last time
No one has a Monopoly MS or Sony can buy all of
EA, Ubisoft, WB, Take 2, Square, Capcom, Sega, Bandai, Konami & it still would not be a monopoly

The gaming market is so huge & fragmented with Mobile, Consoles & PC
That one company can own all that and it would still be nowhere near a monopoly
So anyone still trying to play the Monopoly card is a idiot

The monopoly card is stupid because again anti-trust cases go beyond monopolies. Regulatories can shut you down regardless of whether there's a resulting monopoly or not

Last edited:
The monopoly card is stupid because again anti-trust cases go beyond monopolies. Regulatories can shut you down regardless of whether there's a resulting monopoly or not
Nope example MS or Sony can still release games on all platform even after buying them all
thus bypassing the bullshit FTC lol it called a 4D Chess move
only people gone to be mad about it is are the console warriors bragging about their exclusive
everyone else will still buy and play the games on their prefer platform

HmXtZu4.gif

oldergamer

This is not for you to sell cookies.

These are serious deals, secured on both sides by lawyers who literally guarantee its safety.

And of course there will be points with a penalty, in the event of an attempt to terminate from one of the parties.
I didnt state its not a serious deal, and ive also not stated that anyone would violate a contract. That wasn't what i was getting at. Also again, lets stop pretending anyone here knows the details of the contracts. I was specifically angling towards things that license holders actually care about beyond the legality and dollars.

We literally have an example where the WB studio makes Lego games under the Marvel license, and Star Wars. What do you want to tell me here?
Id tell you the lego company secured the rights and licenses to make both lego sets and lego games with avengers and starwars. After having the license they can choose anyone to partner with. I don't think WB went to disney to purchase those licenses if that is what you are thinking. Not a factor imo.

Sony is literally a living banner that can provide all the attention the WB will want.

Even now, they have marketing for Hogwarts Legacy that is blowing up views on the Playstation channels, although by your logic they should stay away because Sony makes Spider-Man and Wolverine by a "rival" company
This is a weak argument. Living banner?? Common dude. I can picture it now in a meeting with wb and DC. "Sony please tell us how you plan to use the batman licence and give more exposure then spiderman..."

Hogwarts is multiplatform and getting similar expose ( or will ) with other platforms. These are poor examples to prove your point.

You can literally think about whatever you want.

Discovery is going to sell its gaming division here and now, piece by piece or not, it doesn't matter.

No one will wait for Microsoft to deal with Activision and the insane regulators.
You arent making sense. No one would wait for the current deal to close? If this purchase did happen it would likely close long after the AB deal. No matter who the buyer is.

And i will say this again. Sony has to go through the same regulatory process. They are the market lead and anti competitive or monopoly discussion is far more likely to prevent a deal with them then it would with ms.

There are several buyers. They will literally pay them in cash, or in the form of shares and valuable documents.
Yes several buyers but no matter who buys it will have regulatory approval after a waiting period if they purchase all of wb games.

No one is saying that Microsoft can't buy them. They can. They have the most money, just like you say.

The fact is that right now they need to close the biggest deal in the gaming industry ever, and any moves towards other public companies, or even parts of them, could be considered by regulators as something to hook on and ban the Activision purchase. It's just a fact. Jason Schreier literally talks about this in his latest article. You can read.
Nothing is saying another deal cant happen while this one is in progress. Jason schreier is one of the biggest fanboy article writers out there. I wouldn't use his opinion as proof of anything.

Last edited:
Nope example MS or Sony can still release games on all platform even after buying them all
thus bypassing the bullshit FTC lol it called a 4D Chess move
only people gone to be mad about it is are the console warriors bragging about their exclusive
everyone else will still buy and play the games on their prefer platform

HmXtZu4.gif

Yeah exactly. As we've seen with MS making consessions with COD because they know there's still the risk they get shut down even though they have no market dominance.

You never know. This could impact Bethesda games too if they start asking questions about that

Yeah exactly. As we've seen with MS making consessions with COD because they know there's still the risk they get shut down even though they have no market dominance.

You never know. This could impact Bethesda games too if they start asking questions about that
You read to much into those fake articles used bait for clicks
FTC won't do nothing i guarantee it

Hezekiah

Banned
I think you're letting sony feelings get in the way, you're overanalyzing. There's no "by that logic". Its a fact that microsoft has an enourmous amount of studios and games on the way. Without Activision, without WB and without ever buying another studio than what they have now. What i was saying is that console warriors who think worshiping sony and sony alone wins them something only have to lose by this nonsense cultist stance.

No, i haven't considered that maybe someone is not interested in ANY of their games because thats simply lying bullshit. How can someone be interested in games but not find anything of worth in more than 50 titles ? Zero chance of that happening. The only ones who would say that are sony fans pretending theres nothing good. Which is nonsense.

All im saying is PC or xbox is pretty much mandatory from now on, even if they remain as they are now. Why would a person claiming interest in gaming deprive themselves from so many games and franchises - Doom, Wolf, Elder Scrools, Fallout, etc for no reason other than they're obsessed with sony ? It makes no sense
People have different interests in games would you believe. And ultimately some people will feel they have more than enough games coming on their other chosen platform.

The funny thing is none of those franchises have games coming for years anyway lol.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Did MS not make concessions about COD being multiplatform or was that based on fake articles?

Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping is right. Acquisitions, especially as big as these, will get scrutinized regardless if that constitutes a monopoly or not.

And while you say that the gaming market is too big and too fragmented -- which may be true -- how about if the narrative shifts to "console gaming market" and not the "gaming market"? When it comes to that subset of the market, these big acquisitions carry a lot more weight, and suddenly the console gaming market doesn't look as big or as fragmented for it to not be a factor.

yurinka

You mean Yoshida & Nadella
Well, too. But instead of Sony and MS buying these studios and licensing these IPs, I see their SIE and MS Gaming divisions buying them.

Did MS not make concessions about COD being multiplatform or was that based on fake articles?
In the SEC filling they said that their plan was to bring the ABK games to more platforms, not to less. They did there that as they did with Minecraft they plan to keep them on the platforms they are. The MS president said that CoD and other major ABK series will continue on PS and plan to bring them to Switch. Spencer also said they desire to keep CoD on PS.

They also said that will honor pending deals and that this support isn't limited to these deals.

Last edited:

DukeNukem00

Banned
People have different interests in games would you believe. And ultimately some people will feel they have more than enough games coming on their other chosen platform.

The funny thing is none of those franchises have games coming for years anyway lol.

There's zero chance that a gamer is calling himself a gamer and not be interested in ANY of those more than 50 games. So, not interested in Fable, in Gears of War, in Halo, in Age of Empires, in Doom, in Fallout, in Perfect Dark, in Diablo, in Flight Sim etc. Their lineup covers the entire spectrum, top to bottom. To have 50 projects and claiming one is not interested in a single one of them, sorry, not flying. Fallout, Elder Scrools, Doom, etc sell in the tens of millions. Seems to me theres interest in them.

If people feel the games on their chosen platform (aka. sony exclusive worshiper) are enough, there would be no need for outcries every instance a buyout comes up. People feel in fact very strongly against wanting Microsoft to get anything. But as soon as they buy something, its "oh, i never wanted that game anyway".

The thing thats weird is, these people are already console gamers. They already play on consoles. Its not like getting an xbox will be a different gaming experience, something unknown. Its purely corporate tribalism in the most absurd sense. I mean, go for it. Just seems beyond weird to actively deprive yourself from experiences due to brand loyalty that gives you nothing in return. Sony doesnt know we exist

John Wick

In the gaming sector they arent that far off from each other.

I love how people dismiss MS in the earnings reports, saying they lose money on gaming and then call them a behemoth in other threads.

It's interesting to watch things shift to fit the current narrative
Are you deliberately being stupid? Are you still comparing MS to Embracer Group?
Your right how could the Xbox division lose money? Silly me GP was profitable day one? They bought Bethesda for zero and soon Acti/Blizz another free purchase.
MS fangirls love to remind us of the unlimited warchest they have and this 'is a 2 trillion dollar company'. So it's not me reminding you they are a tech behemoth you do that too well in your own.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
There's zero chance that a gamer is calling himself a gamer and not be interested in ANY of those more than 50 games. So, not interested in Fable, in Gears of War, in Halo, in Age of Empires, in Doom, in Fallout, in Perfect Dark, in Diablo, in Flight Sim etc. Their lineup covers the entire spectrum, top to bottom. To have 50 projects and claiming one is not interested in a single one of them, sorry, not flying. Fallout, Elder Scrools, Doom, etc sell in the tens of millions. Seems to me theres interest in them.

If people feel the games on their chosen platform (aka. sony exclusive worshiper) are enough, there would be no need for outcries every instance a buyout comes up. People feel in fact very strongly against wanting Microsoft to get anything. But as soon as they buy something, its "oh, i never wanted that game anyway".

The thing thats weird is, these people are already console gamers. They already play on consoles. Its not like getting an xbox will be a different gaming experience, something unknown. Its purely corporate tribalism in the most absurd sense. I mean, go for it. Just seems beyond weird to actively deprive yourself from experiences due to brand loyalty that gives you nothing in return. Sony doesnt know we exist
I really don't understand your argument, to be honest.

If and when those "50 games" release, review well, and meet the expectations of a gamer, they will buy the console or PC or subscribe to GP to play those games. But must everyone buy into that ecosystem right now?

I for one will be watching cautiously for some of the XGS games I'm interested in and will make my purchase decision on released products for which I can see gameplay videos of and critics/user reviews, instead of investing $500-$2,000 merely because of promises by a corporation that may or may not meet my expectations years later.

onesvenus

Now you are not making any sense. How would this impact a deal that's already closed? I don't think they can act retroactively

And while you say that the gaming market is too big and too fragmented -- which may be true -- how about if the narrative shifts to "console gaming market" and not the "gaming market"? When it comes to that subset of the market, these big acquisitions carry a lot more weight, and suddenly the console gaming market doesn't look as big or as fragmented for it to not be a factor.
Even if the conversation changes to console gaming market, Microsoft is in no way a monopoly and it's not making it more difficult for a competitor to enter the market

DukeNukem00

Banned
I really don't understand your argument, to be honest.

If and when those "50 games" release, review well, and meet the expectations of a gamer, they will buy the console or PC or subscribe to GP to play those games. But must everyone buy into that ecosystem right now?

I for one will be watching cautiously for some of the XGS games I'm interested in and will make my purchase decision on released products for which I can see gameplay videos of and critics/user reviews, instead of investing $500-$2,000 merely because of promises by a corporation that may or may not meet my expectations years later.

Thats completely fair. Im refering to people who go "oh well, i guess im not gonna play another id/bethesda/etc game in my entire existence on this earth. Why would someone say something like that ? I also dont know what exactly is supposed to cost 2000 dollars.

John Wick

We talking about gaming and gaming only
MS gaming division Xbox is not a behemoth in gaming it in 3rd place lol
Tencent is bigger in the gaming space than MS so is Sony
All these monopoly nonsense need to stop
Did you even read what I wrote? I said at some point MS will be blocked from buying anymore publishers and studios. Once they aquire AB they will be larger than Sony.
Also MS take profits from other divisions to help them become dominant in another.
MS got too many other tech giants up against them who will be complaining to the FTC just like MS has about them.

Now you are not making any sense. How would this impact a deal that's already closed? I don't think they can act retroactively

I didn't say it would impact the deal.

They're going to look at how they've handled the Bethesda aquisition in contrast to what they're saying now. What'll be obvious to anyone who looks is that they've done a 180.

Whether or not it'll matter in the grand scheme is another matter.

Last edited:
Is there a rule somewhere saying you can’t have multiple acquisitions ongoing? Seriously asking here.

Also is there a rule in place saying you can’t have an agreement in principle in place to purchase another company once a current deal closes?
There is no rule but if you have multiple large acquisitions is same sector, i.e gaming. It would be much harder to convince the fcc, that u are not trying to stifle competition. Ms just wont do anything to threaten the acti deal.

yurinka

Id tell you the lego company secured the rights and licenses to make both lego sets and lego games with avengers and starwars. After having the license they can choose anyone to partner with. I don't think WB went to disney to purchase those licenses if that is what you are thinking. Not a factor imo.
For the Lego games they may have licensed the Disney IP per game, or per groups (like hey let's make that "trilogy of Star Wars games" or "this couple of Avenger games"). Disney and Lego pretty likely ask to publish these games in all the platforms possible to reach the biggest amount of players possible and make the biggest amount possible of money.

I assume that if someone buys TT they'll continue making Lego games multiplatform using popular, global, kid friendly IPs from Disney, DC and so on, and to make that Lego "metaverse". They could also make Lego Halo or Lego Uncharted and keep it console exclusive but I see it less likely.

No one would wait for the current deal to close? If this purchase did happen it would likely close long after the AB deal. No matter who the buyer is.

And i will say this again. Sony has to go through the same regulatory process. They are the market lead and anti competitive or monopoly discussion is far more likely to prevent a deal with them then it would with ms.
It depends if WB only accepts to sell the whole WB Games package with all the studio and licensing of all IPs (that would take longer) than to separatedly sell each studio (in the case of Netherrealm with the MK IP) and license the IPs.

I don't know how the regulatory stuff works so I don't know if MS has to wait to complete the ABK acquisition, but I assume that at least they could make secretly all negotiations and reach an agreement of acquisition that could be announced shortly after completing the ABK acquisition if legally required.

I assume they don't need to wait, because we saw Sony announcing the Bungie deal and also go into regulatory approvals, and while regulators would have more reasons to accuse Sony of monopolies (which wouldn't make sense because even if market leaders in some areas their market share isn't that big) than to MS, before getting the approval for Bungie Sony announced the acqisitions of Lasengle and Haven.

So I assume both MS and Sony are able to buy som WB Games studios if desired.

I didn't say it would impact the deal.

They're going to look at how they've handled the Bethesda aquisition in contrast to what they're saying now. What'll be obvious to anyone who looks is that they've done a 180.

Whether or not it'll matter in the grand scheme is another matter.
Since Bethesda was acquired they kept releasing DLCs for their games (Fallout 76, Elder Scrolls Online, Doom Eternal) in all platforms, released the multiplatform Quake Remastered in all platforms and the PlayStation console exclusives Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo.

They said they would continue supporting their existting communities in the platforms where they were, that would honor their existing deals and that their for focus for Bethesda was going to be to include their games on GP and 'first on or best on Xbox' other than exclusivity. And this is what they are doing.

They announced Starfield as exclusive but it's a new IP and not one that already was on other consoles to they aren't keept it away from other platform. So no lies or 180s detected until now. And who knows, some time after release they may say they changed their mind and announce a PS5 port. A 180 would be if they release new Doom, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Wolfenstein, Dishonored, Quake etc and all of them keep Xbox console exclusive forever instead of being timed console exclusives or multiplatform since day one.

Last edited:

fermcr

Without the IP's, it's hardly worth purchasing any developer. Just hire the talent and create a new studio.
Why spend billions on a studio without the IP's?

yurinka

Once they aquire AB they will be larger than Sony.
Not in gaming.

Sony will continue making more revenue than MS in overall gaming market (where Tencent is top 1), and in console Sony will continue being the market leader: they will continue having the biggest active console userbase of the 3, will continue selling more games for their console, will continue having the biggest known game subscription and MS never shown xCloud or GPU numbers so we don't know if xCloud is bigger than PS Now, Sony will continue being market leader in console VR (or the only ones if we don't count Labo VR) etc.

Even if Sony is the market leader is console, they don't have a market share big enough to call it a monopoly. With ABK MS will have a bigger market share in PC and mobile than Sony, but again MS won't be market leader there and will have a very small market share so again there's no monopoly.

Edit:
Studio and publisher wise.
Ah, in this case yes. MS will have more game publishers and studios than Sony.

Yeah, that's exactly what they plan to do
Maybe it's what you wish, but isn't something they announced. The most similar thing we have is an interviewer assuming ESVI will be exclusive because they said a new IP (being new means they aren't removing it from other place) would be exclusive and they would continue forward.

He could have meant that new IPs would go exclusive (who knows if they end being full exclusive or timed) but keeping the IPs that already existed in other platforms -which would represent the majority of their future games- as multiplatform. By doing this they wouldn't be doing any 180, it would match their words of not removing existing IPs from other platforms and focusing on multiplatform and timed exclusives (compatitble with keeping some new IP full exclusive or to make some exception keeping as excepition some existing IP exclusive).

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
There is no rule but if you have multiple large acquisitions is same sector, i.e gaming. It would be much harder to convince the fcc, that u are not trying to stifle competition. Ms just wont do anything to threaten the acti deal.
So no rule then.

I don’t buy this surficial argument. It’s an attractive one but I think there would be merits to trying to obtain both if you really only want one. It would give bargaining power with the FCC.

John Wick

Let's see what happens? When and if MS remove mainline COD from PS platforms. Then we'll see the fallout.
One I don't see MS going out buying anymore publishers. Maybe some studios.
After AB deal closes MS will be scrutinised even more closely.

Maybe it's what you wish, but isn't something they announced. The most similar thing we have is an interviewer assuming ESVI will be exclusive because they said a new IP (being new means they aren't removing it from other place) would be exclusive and they would continue forward.

He could have meant that new IPs would go exclusive (who knows if they end being full exclusive or timed) but keeping the IPs that already existed in other platforms -which would represent the majority of their future games- as multiplatform. By doing this they wouldn't be doing any 180, it would match their words of not removing existing IPs from other platforms and focusing on multiplatform and timed exclusives (compatitble with keeping some new IP full exclusive or to make some exception keeping as excepition some existing IP exclusive).

Lol what i wish? It's a fact. This is a direct quote from Phil regarding exclusivity of ES6

It’s not about punishing any other platform, like I fundamentally believe all of the platforms can continue to grow. But in order to be on Xbox, I want us to be able to bring the full complete package of what we have. And that would be true when I think about Elder Scrolls 6. That would be true when I think about any of our franchises.

Their stance is clear as day here. All the PR bullshit about being first or best on xbox was just that PR bullshit. Once the deal finalised they dropped all that fluff

Last edited:

yurinka

Lol what i wish? It's a fact. This is a direct quote from Phil regarding exclusivity of ES6

Their stance is clear as day here. All the PR bullshit about being first or best on xbox was just that PR bullshit. Once the deal finalised they dropped all that fluff
Read it again, in that sentence he says he wants to release all their stuff like ESVI on Xbox, that it isn't about punishing other platforms but to secure/provide content for their platform.

Which is also compatible with releasing it on other platforms, since he doesn't mentions or implies exclusivity for ESVI.

Last edited:

Perrott

Any source on that?
Even then, 40$ billion seems too big for Sony, which was what I was answering to
What are you guys actually arguing about? 40 billion? We ain't talking about the entirety of WarnerMedia (which was sold off for that amount of money to Discovery), but about the gaming division, WBIE, which back in 2020 was shopped around by WB for just 4B not including licenses. That surely falls within Sony's ballpark, but even then I doubt they'd be interested in the whole thing, but rather a handful of individual studios (Netherrealm, Rocksteady, Avalanche, Monolith, WB Montreal) with the remaining ones probably making their way to either EA or Take Two. That's my bet.

Read it again, in that sentence he says he wants to release all their stuff like ESVI on Xbox, that it isn't about punishing other platforms but to secure/provide content for their platform.

Which is also compatible with releasing it on other platforms, since he doesn't mentions or implies exclusivity for ESVI.

Nope he's refering to playforms needing the full xbox ecosystem for them to fully support it. He's said this exact thing years ago.

If he's not even bringing Bethesda's most hyped game that was announced 2 years ago before the aquisition then there's fat chance he's going to bother with any of them

Last edited:

Dolodolo

I didnt state its not a serious deal, and ive also not stated that anyone would violate a contract. That wasn't what i was getting at. Also again, lets stop pretending anyone here knows the details of the contracts. I was specifically angling towards things that license holders actually care about beyond the legality and dollars.
This is the basic principle of any serious agreement.

When one side encounters a trick, they receive penalties. Otherwise, the contracts would not have been signed.

What are you trying to find here? That Sony and Marvel were not insured, they signed papers, without a guarantee, on parole?
The developer, which belongs to WB games, develops Lego games for Marvel, Disney, and so on.
It's not a question of "I want", "I don't want"
It's a matter of money
This is a weak argument. Living banner?? Common dude. I can picture it now in a meeting with wb and DC. "Sony please tell us how you plan to use the batman licence and give more exposure then spiderman..."

Hogwarts is multiplatform and getting similar expose ( or will ) with other platforms. These are poor examples to prove your point.
Don't pretend you don't understand what I'm talking about here.
Sony has one of the best (if not the best) resource for disseminating information and advertising projects.
That is why, for example, the xbox Youtube channel is actually in ruins, in terms of views.
Watch the most popular videos on their channel and you will understand what I am talking about.
Yes, even most of their new announcements do not gain even two million views on their channel, not to mention others.
This is the problem of their marketing and positioning
Could the first trailer of Hogwarts Legacy get a lot of views on the xbox channel? Yes
Could he have collected such a huge amount of views and coverage as on the Playstation channel? Not
And you know it/
You arent making sense. No one would wait for the current deal to close? If this purchase did happen it would likely close long after the AB deal. No matter who the buyer is.

Why would it take place later than the Activision-Microsoft deal?
It's literally a deal to buy studios, no licenses.
It will pass relatively quickly.
EA bought a mobile developer from them for 1.4 billion and closed the deal for how much? In a couple of months?
Yes several buyers but no matter who buys it will have regulatory approval after a waiting period if they purchase all of wb games.
What is your point of view here?
Surely they will have to pass the regulators?
But, it puts on pause an already concluded deal. That is, no one will be able to get into it until the regulators completely refuse to approve it.

Again, Microsoft could easily buy these studios, but not right now when they have to clear the crap with Activision before next year, and the priority here is obvious.
Nothing is saying another deal cant happen while this one is in progress. Jason schreier is one of the biggest fanboy article writers out there. I wouldn't use his opinion as proof of anything.

Let's not mix personal attitude towards the author of the article and literally common sense.

Again. Microsoft may be discussing a deal with WB, but they won't be able to buy them anytime soon. Because there is a deal with Activision that will be strictly scrutinized. And that's a top priority for Xbox right now.

Will the WB be waiting all this time? Not

Because they need to clean up the payroll and cut costs.

Hezekiah

Banned

Nintendo and its partners make lots of games. They don't interest me, hence I don't own a Switch, nor will I be getting one.

Saying there's zero chance a gamer wouldn't be interested in any of those, and conflating your opinion with that of others is dumb.

reinking

Gold Member

Just an observation but you seem to be the one pushing a console war here. Why do feel the need to persuade people into a specific eco system? Why would it bother you if they do not want to go that particular route? It isn't necessarily tribalism like you want to make it out to be. Some people prefer certain genre that appear on one console over the other (including Nintendo). Some have invested into one eco system already and might not want to go multi-platform. There are many reasons other than console wars for some people to choose one or the other.

Last edited:

oldergamer

This is the basic principle of any serious agreement.
When one side encounters a trick, they receive penalties. Otherwise, the contracts would not have been signed.
What are you trying to find here? That Sony and Marvel were not insured, they signed papers, without a guarantee, on parole?

Stop arguing about contracts. I haven't been arguing about contracts. how many times do i have to repeat that?

The developer, which belongs to WB games, develops Lego games for Marvel, Disney, and so on.
It's not a question of "I want", "I don't want"
It's a matter of money
It doesn't matter if the developer was purchased by WB ( in 2007 i think ). Lego paid for the license on both game and toys. They they choose who they want to develop the game. That's how lego operates. I had a friend that worked with lego on some games back in the early 2000s. When the principle item being licensed is a property. its exactly a question of "i want" or "we want" from the licensor. like I said its clear you haven't worked with a IP license holder.

Don't pretend you don't understand what I'm talking about here.
Sony has one of the best (if not the best) resource for disseminating information and advertising projects.
That is why, for example, the xbox Youtube channel is actually in ruins, in terms of views.
Watch the most popular videos on their channel and you will understand what I am talking about.
Yes, even most of their new announcements do not gain even two million views on their channel, not to mention others.
This is the problem of their marketing and positioning
Could the first trailer of Hogwarts Legacy get a lot of views on the xbox channel? Yes
Could he have collected such a huge amount of views and coverage as on the Playstation channel? Not
And you know it/

Why would it take place later than the Activision-Microsoft deal?
It's literally a deal to buy studios, no licenses.
It will pass relatively quickly.
EA bought a mobile developer from them for 1.4 billion and closed the deal for how much? In a couple of months?

What is your point of view here?
Surely they will have to pass the regulators?
But, it puts on pause an already concluded deal. That is, no one will be able to get into it until the regulators completely refuse to approve it.

Again, Microsoft could easily buy these studios, but not right now when they have to clear the crap with Activision before next year, and the priority here is obvious.
Dude, I'm not going to keep responding and repeating the same things to you. Its like you are putting my words in a translator and its coming out wrong.
Nothing has been purchased yet. deals take time to close. we already know this. that doesn't mean they can't form a new deal in principle before the AB deal closes. period.

Let's not mix personal attitude towards the author of the article and literally common sense.

Again. Microsoft may be discussing a deal with WB, but they won't be able to buy them anytime soon. Because there is a deal with Activision that will be strictly scrutinized. And that's a top priority for Xbox right now.

Will the WB be waiting all this time? Not

Because they need to clean up the payroll and cut costs.
Not just personal attitude, he has an agenda and got called out for it this week for his recent article. He has been called out for the slant he puts on other articles. I guess you missed the thread and all the
other things he has posted. I can sum them up for you, his articles are always "MS = bad", and when he gets called out for being wrong he backtracks.

Last time I'm going to post this. If ANYONE buys WB it will require regulatory approval and have to go through a similar waiting period to Bethesda OR Activision. Nobody has bought them as of yet, and any deal made now would close AFTER activision due to that waiting period. There's no additional waiting that wouldn't already be built into a purchase by ANYONE.

Hope that is clear.

yurinka

Nope he's refering to playforms needing the full xbox ecosystem for them to fully support it.
The sentence you quoted doesn't say anything about this. He says that making Starfield exclusive isn't about punishing other platforms (which he thinks could continue growing without them) but that instead is part of their focus of putting all their content (including ES6 and their other franchises) on Xbox, meaning that they bought these IPs to secure more content for Xbox (and GP).

They don't need to bring the full Xbox ecosystem to PS to publish games there as seen in Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo, Quake Remastered and all the other games they released before like Minecraft Dungeons, Minecraft Story Mode, Psychonauts 2 and so on.

It's true he'd like to have his own Xbox store on PS and Switch to sell games and have GP there there without paying anything to Sony and Nintendo instead of the current 30%, but that isn't mentioned in this specific quote.

Last edited:

onesvenus

What are you guys actually arguing about? 40 billion? We ain't talking about the entirety of WarnerMedia (which was sold off for that amount of money to Discovery), but about the gaming division, WBIE, which back in 2020 was shopped around by WB for just 4B not including licenses. That surely falls within Sony's ballpark, but even then I doubt they'd be interested in the whole thing, but rather a handful of individual studios (Netherrealm, Rocksteady, Avalanche, Monolith, WB Montreal) with the remaining ones probably making their way to either EA or Take Two. That's my bet.
The poster I was answering to said he saw Sony buying all of it

The sentence you quoted doesn't say anything about this. He says that making Starfield exclusive isn't about punishing other platforms (which he thinks could continue growing without them) but that instead is part of their focus of putting all their content (including ES6 and their other franchises) on Xbox, meaning that they bought these IPs to secure more content for Xbox (and GP).

They don't need to bring the full Xbox ecosystem to PS to publish games there as seen in Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo, Quake Remastered and all the other games they released before like Minecraft Dungeons, Minecraft Story Mode, Psychonauts 2 and so on.

It's true he'd like to have his own Xbox store on PS and Switch to sell games and have GP there there without paying anything to Sony and Nintendo instead of the current 30%, but that isn't mentioned in this specific quote.

I know they they don't need gp or xbox live to bring games to PS. But that's the justification he'll use to explain why they're exclusive. Once again he's said exactly this years ago

You keep bringing up deathloop and ghostwire as examples like they're relevent. They're not. They're contractual obligations and we have yet to see any new game that falls outside of those announced for PS.

It was already established for both that they'll honour existing deals. What they've said about ActiBlizz games which is conpletely different to Bethesda is they'll continue to release games BEYOND those obligations. That's the 180

If you think it's going to be;

New IP = xbox exclusive

Existing IP = multiplatform

Then that's just naivity

Last edited:

DukeNukem00

Banned
Just an observation but you seem to be the one pushing a console war here. Why do feel the need to persuade people into a specific eco system? Why would it bother you if they do not want to go that particular route? It isn't necessarily tribalism like you want to make it out to be. Some people prefer certain genre that appear on one console over the other (including Nintendo). Some have invested into one eco system already and might not want to go multi-platform. There are many reasons other than console wars for some people to choose one or the other.

Nice try pal, but im not the one pushing anything at all. Who am i persuading with what ? Im noticing how the pretense of not wanting consolidating usually comes from a very specific place. So what if one invested in playstation until now ? Nobody is taking that away. There's no preference of genres involved, the dozens of studios under microsoft right now are making ALL genres. Im just noticing the self sabotaging of certain individuals and finding it very odd and lacking sense since getting another console is quite a simple and unintrusive affair. My specific remarks are for those people that would prefer to NEVER in their entire life play games of any kind if its not on playstation. Those arent gamers who like games - thats a cult like behaviour.

Last edited:

DavJay

Ur naive if u think ms is buying a big studio until the acti deal is closed, which will take another 12 to 18 months.as wb is a public company, they can't even negotiate. Wb will have to wait if they want to sell to ms.
Disney and a bunch of other big corporations been doing that for years. It’s not a problem whether Sony fanboys want to believe it or not.

Top Bottom