• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB up for sale

Out of the known candidates, who do you think is gonna get it?

• EA

Votes: 11 3.1%
  • Take-Two

Votes: 14 3.9%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 174 48.5%
  • Sony

Votes: 89 24.8%
  • Tencent

Votes: 61 17.0%
  • Neteasy

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • PUBG Corp.

Votes: 5 1.4%

• Total voters
As for the moral high ground, are you boycotting games that use Unreal Engine 5 because Tencent owns a big chunk of Epic?
I don't like that a lot of big Devs with good in house games engine are switching to UE5
Does not mean i am boycotting there no way in hell im boycotting Witcher 4 lol

Neofire

Your 1 weird dude bro it about gaming unless you have stocks in these company who cares lol
This is a stupid statement. Who would want a company they've invested thousands of dollars in their content to go belly up or be out in danger of doing so lol.

Of course people care tf lol.

Not begging but its a thread about a potential acquisition so i put my opinion forward, problem?
I just made an observation I have no problem with you. You are free to cheer whatever you want.

This is a stupid statement. Who would want a company they've invested thousands of dollars in their content to go belly up or be out in danger of doing so lol.

The irony is that's all he seems to care about, he wants more games on gamepass if I understood correctly. Whatever it takes.

Last edited:
Because you are telling me so? Your attempt to explain why that is the case was extremely unconvincing so far. This whole thing of pretending MS is such a force for good is beyond absurd and quite disturbing to be honest.
Your tone says it all bro i mean Amazon, Google, Facebook you have no problem with them buying up WB?
& Tencent with their censorship imagine if they censor MK cause it hurts their dictator feelings lol

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
This is an interesting purchase because it guarantees that WBD will get to license some of its IP out on a continual basis due to this as some of these developers are pretty attached to the IP.

As far as Microsoft, I doubt they would be interested if they were worried about regulatory concerns regarding ABK.

Last time, I think the cost was at $4 billion and no one wanted it then — including Microsoft. It’s a tricky purchase.

Your tone says it all bro i mean Amazon, Google, Facebook you have no problem with them buying up WB?
& Tencent with their censorship imagine if they censor MK cause it hurts their dictator feelings lol
I don't have a problem with any company buying WB. You are the one who seems to thing I'm crazy for not thinking MS or Sony are just like these other companies. If all these western publishers went broke I wouldn't blink an eye, they are none is known by their output of quality games or anything like that, they produce mostly garbage.

Your points don't make any sense, Sony is into censoring some things too (I don't know about MS history with that). Pretty much all publishers/devs censor themselves to please China anyway.

You write as if MS and Sony are these two champions of the interest of players, that's extremely naive and false.

Last edited:

Yoboman

This is an interesting purchase because it guarantees that WBD will get to license some of its IP out on a continual basis due to this as some of these developers are pretty attached to the IP.

As far as Microsoft, I doubt they would be interested if they were worried about regulatory concerns regarding ABK.

Last time, I think the cost was at $4 billion and no one wanted it then — including Microsoft. It’s a tricky purchase.
The problem is WB could just go license the IP elsewhere at any time

You buying thousands of dollars of products from a company does not mean you invested in it
it just means your a consumer wile investing means buying stocks in the company lol big difference

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
The problem is WB could just go license the IP elsewhere at any time

Right. I would presume this purchase would (have to) come with some sort of exclusive timed licensing deal, but there would be a point where things become iffy regarding even that.

If it doesn’t even guarantee an exclusive license, then this becomes even worse for anyone purchasing it. I doubt NRS would even want to work on anything but Mortal Kombat, so creatives like Ed Boon could potentially be swayed to whoever would make that franchise (which is why I think whoever purchases NRS basically also acknowledges that they will need to buy a license to make MK games in perpetuity for that studio).

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with any company buying WB. You are the one who seems to thing I'm crazy for not thinking MS or Sony are just like these other companies.

Your points don't make any sense, Sony is into censoring some things too, don't know about MS history with that. Pretty much all publishers/devs censor themselves to please China anyway.

You write as if MS and Sony are these two champions of the interest of players, that's extremely naive and false.
If you truly have no probelem with Amazon, Google, Facebook, Tencent
2sEShsB.gif

DavJay

MS can outbid anyone and the Activision deal wouldn't interfere with this. They can always agree with an intent to buy/sell and regulation approval later.

AmuroChan

If WB is going to retain the ownership of the IPs, then I don't see purchasing just the studios being that attractive. Sure, you can do exclusive deals on games, but then you're paying on top of already paying to buy the studios. If you end up having to license the IPs anyway, then just license the IPs and either have your own teams make the games or via 2nd party partners. There's no need to actually buy the studios. If there are certain people you want from the WB studios, then just poach them and hire them onto your internal teams.

NewYork214

I can see anyone buying these. They aren't getting the WB licenses it seems. Just the studios/talent.

Guess they would be getting some good teams. I can see sony going for MK team since they are big into competive scene with EVO.

Are the other teams worth it? I love the shadow of war games. And rocksteady have a good track record.

They can even sell off the teams separately I assume. Who knows

yurinka

Tencent = Chinese governement run = Major censorship
Google = Stadia flops enough said
Amazon = Bad for gaming okay
Facebook = Mark Zukerberg lol
Embracer = A weird one they are buying more studios then anyone else but no one know what their end game is yet

Sony = 20 plus years in the gaming industry with hardware & software that have sold over 100 million plus
MS = Also in the gaming industry a long time dating back to the 80's even with PC gaming & then Console in 2001

So who do you trust im take Sony & MS over them others all day every day
Fun fact: Sony has been in the gaming industry making hardware and games since the '80s, when they made hardware like MSX computers and in software they made games for MSX computers, and for consoles like NES, Game Boy or SNES as Sony Imagesoft (like Solstice, Hook, Hudson Hawk ...)
Are the other teams worth it? I love the shadow of war games. And rocksteady have a good track record.
  • Monolith are the ones of the Middle-Earth games.
  • Traveller Tales is probably the most successful team of the list. They make quality kid friendly games that are very successful in sales and they adapt to any license.
  • Avalanche Software were super successful with Disney Infinity and now they will be super successful again with Howgart Legacy.
  • WB Montreal working on Gotham Knights and made Batman Arkham Origins, in addition to the Arkham Knight DLCs.
  • They also have WB Games Boston, WB Games New York, WB Games San Diego and WB Games San Francisco but I don't know what they do. Maybe they are support teams, maybe they only snort coke all day.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Fun fact: Sony has been in the gaming industry making hardware and games since the '80s, when they made hardware like MSX computers and in software they made games for MSX computers, and for consoles like NES, Game Boy or SNES as Sony Imagesoft (like Solstice, Hook, Hudson Hawk ...)
MS goes back far too.

They started out games as publisher from some old ass games. I played Decathlon too. Googling it, never knew they published an adventure game in 1979.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
WB have close relationship with Sony Pictures and their VFX branch Imageworks for movies. Would they get them? Not sure, but for the right price I think it's a great catch.

If you truly have no probelem with Amazon, Google, Facebook, Tencent
2sEShsB.gif
I have a problem with them and Microsoft as well, in fact I have more problems with MS then I have with Amazon. I don't see how you can think MS is above any of these other companies. As for Sony, they are no saints either, they just don't have as much power.

Last edited:
MS can outbid anyone and the Activision deal wouldn't interfere with this. They can always agree with an intent to buy/sell and regulation approval later.
Ur naive if u think ms is buying a big studio until the acti deal is closed, which will take another 12 to 18 months.as wb is a public company, they can't even negotiate. Wb will have to wait if they want to sell to ms.

Last edited:
I have a problem with them and Microsoft as well, in fact I have more problems with MS then I have with Amazon. I don't see how you can think MS is above any of these other companies. As for Sony, they are no saints either, they just don't have as much power.
OK fine you want what you want
wile i want Sony or MS over them others
because i actually buy products from Sony & MS wile i try to stay away from them other company as much as possible

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You have a problem with MS over Amazon? What's so great about Amazon's gaming output?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i would say Microsoft until Sony bought just bungie and destiny alone for 3bil lol

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Sony has a good reputation for Super Hero quality, but not sure if the rest of their studios are worth acquiring unless there's some sort of strategic alignment and talent worth nabbing

You have a problem with MS over Amazon? What's so great about Amazon's gaming output?

Amazon is hardly into gaming, I assumed we were talking about them as a company.

MS is way more into games and already did plenty that I don't like and I think they have a very poor track record of producing games that I like or care about, I rather take my chances with another one. Even beyond gaming, my experience with MS products is pretty miserable, specially their software.

I don't want a MS that is big enough to be able to be a treat to other store fronts on PC or take too many games away from PlayStation. I also really dislike game subscriptions something that MS is 100% committed to and I think their vision for what games should/can be is terrible. They have been in the console market for 20 years and despite me playing a lot of their games there wasn't a single one that I would rank as one of the best games I played.

Anyway, I just fail to see how MS is the good guy while Amazon, Facebook, Google are the bad guys. They all seem way too big and shady.

Last edited:

yurinka

OK fine you want what you want
wile i want Sony or MS over them others
because i actually buy products from Sony & MS wile i try to stay away from them other company as much as possible
Sony gets Netherrealm, Rocksteady, TT, Avalanche, Monolyth, WB Montreal, and the Mortal Kombat (bought), Batman/Harry Potter/Blade Runner/Matrix IPs (licensed if they don't want to sell them).

MS gets WB Games Boston, WB Games New York, WB Games San Diego, WB Games San Francisco and the Super Man, Green Arrow and Green Lantern IPs.

Deal? :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Amazon is hardly into gaming, I assumed we were talking about them as a company.

MS is way more into games and already did plenty that I don't like and I think they have a very poor track record of producing games that I like or care about, I rather take my chances with another one. Even beyond gaming, my experience with MS products is pretty miserable, specially their software.

I don't want a MS that is big enough to be able to be a treat to other store fronts on PC or take too many games away from PlayStation. I also really dislike game subscriptions something that MS is 100% committed to and I think their vision for what games should/can be is terrible. They have been in the market for 20 years and despite me playing a lot of their games there wasn't a single one that I would rank as one of the best games I played.

Anyway, I just fail to see how MS is the good guy while Amazon, Facebook, Google are the bad guys. They all seem way too big and shady.
So you'd rather have Amazon who has hardly any gaming experience to take over WB Games because you dont like MS games or their other products. Ok, I guess that's a reason.

So you'd rather have Amazon who has hardly any gaming experience to take over WB Games because you dont like MS games or their other products. Ok, I guess that's a reason.
Yes. I don't see the problem. Sony had very little experience when they entered the market, that's true for any company really. What is bad about a new player entering the market, specially if just as a publisher?

Facebook sucks but their work with Oculus so far has been really impressive, they have the best product in the market by far. They even displayed some decent capability of producing games.

As someone who likes Sony games I can't even relate to why people that like Xbox would want MS to own WB (other than getting their games on gamepass, but then again, it's extremely naive to think you won't have to pay more than just $15 for all your games). When a company convinces me to spend $70 or $60 or $40 on a game I'm happy, it means that I'm very confident that that's a good game worth my money and if that's not the case I probably wouldn't want to play the game even if it was given to me for free.

MS has a really poor track record of managing their internal studios (and that includes Phil Spencer), this has been their main problem ever since they entered the console business. Where is all this confidence coming from that now that they've become much bigger they'll do a much better job?

Last edited:
Sony gets Netherrealm, Rocksteady, TT, Avalanche, Monolyth, WB Montreal, and the Mortal Kombat (bought), Batman/Harry Potter/Blade Runner/Matrix IPs (licensed if they don't want to sell them).

MS gets WB Games Boston, WB Games New York, WB Games San Diego, WB Games San Francisco and the Super Man, Green Arrow and Green Lantern IPs.

Deal? :messenger_beaming:
Not a fair deal MS would have to atleast get TT & Netherrealm lol

oldergamer

They will sell the studios and licensing deal at the same time. Sony is already in tight with marvel. I doubt they want to put any part of that deal in risk when it comes to Spiderman

yurinka

Sony has a good reputation for Super Hero quality, but not sure if the rest of their studios are worth acquiring unless there's some sort of strategic alignment and talent worth nabbing
Netherrealm: Mortal Kombat, DC, Marvel fighting games
Rocksteady: Batman and they could do something like a Syphon Filter reboot, or to work in any cinematic AAA SP Sony IP. Or to make Matrix or Blade Runner games
TT: Lego PlayStation, Lego metaverse, Lego whatever using Sony IPs. They make quality kids friendly games, could do Astro, Loco Roco, Parappa, Knack or your favorite one, Rascal 2
Avalanche: keep doing Hogwarts Legacy/Harry Potter games, they were super successful kid games like Disney Infinity series, a small team could use the kid friendly Sony IPs too
WB Games Montreal: made Arkham Knight DLC and Arkham Origin, and are working on Gotham Knights. Could do something good with some unused Sony IP from games or movies and improve their quality with PS Studios support and management
Monolith: Middle-Earth stuff, with PS Studios support and management could improve too and do something good with some unused Sony IP from games or cinema

oldergamer

Ur naive if u think ms is buying a big studio until the acti deal is closed, which will take another 12 to 18 months.as wb is a public company, they can't even negotiate. Wb will have to wait if they want to sell to ms.
No there is nothing that would stop ms buying other companies. Deals dont have to be announced until they are ready. For all we know they are working on other deals right now.

Netherrealm: Mortal Kombat, DC, Marvel fighting games
Rocksteady: Batman and they could do something like a Syphon Filter reboot, or to work in any cinematic AAA SP Sony IP. Or to make Matrix or Blade Runner games
TT: Lego PlayStation, Lego metaverse, Lego whatever using Sony IPs. They make quality kids friendly games, could do Astro, Loco Roco, Parappa, Knack or your favorite one, Rascal 2
Avalanche: keep doing Hogwarts Legacy/Harry Potter games, they were super successful kid games like Disney Infinity series, a small team could use the kid friendly Sony IPs too
WB Games Montreal: made Arkham Knight DLC and Arkham Origin, and are working on Gotham Knights. Could do something good with some unused Sony IP from games or movies and improve their quality with PS Studios support and management
Monolith: Middle-Earth stuff, with PS Studios support and management could improve too and do something good with some unused Sony IP from games or cinema
This all sound so boring and uninspiring. Just more of the same that Sony already gets without paying for it.

Sony shouldn't want anything to do with Mortal Kombat since recently they were censoring that horror game for being disgusting and tastless, something that MK certainly is as well. As someone who grew up playing MK I can't even understand how someone can still be into those games or how the devs keep on making them.

At least when they buy an independent studio that is in need of the backing of a big publisher or that already works with them, there's reason to be excited about them moving on to more ambitious projects. That's what Sony has been doing so far and I think it's a great plan.

Same goes for MS, when they bought Obsidian, Ninja Theory and Double Fine I saw a lot of promise in it but when they bought Bethesda and Activision Blizzard I just see it as a bad move not only for fans of these games but for MS as well, it just look like they are out of patience again trying to buy their way into more market share. I guess maybe Blizzard fans have justification to be excited given how shit they've become as a dev overtime, but I have no hope when it comes to them.

Last edited:
MS or Tencent. At a push maybe Take Two or EA. the rest can't afford it.
Every single company in the poll can afford it. It’s only licensing number one. Nobody is going to own Batman. Very doubtful they are selling all the studios as a whole. Even then everyone company in the OP can afford it.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I can see anyone buying these. They aren't getting the WB licenses it seems. Just the studios/talent.

Guess they would be getting some good teams. I can see sony going for MK team since they are big into competive scene with EVO.

They can even sell off the teams separately I assume. Who knows

I don't understand why anyone would buy the teams, all the people could quit and go work for someone else the next day. It'd be a potentially terrible investment, surely?

Last edited:
Top Bottom