• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We had Final Fight One but what about the sequels? Would you play an HD remaster of the original trilogy?

Final Fight One for the Game Boy Advance was the first beat 'em up that I played. It was fun in a very simple but satisfying, arcade-like experience. The constant barrage of thugs and punks to beat up as you advance to the end of each level to fight the boss is a tried and true gameplay loop. I never played the sequels and I wish Capcom would have given them the same treatment on the GBA or even DS, perhaps a double-pack release "Final Fight II & III" or even "Final Fight: The Trilogy" would have been pretty cool. I could be overestimating the worth of the sequels, I don't know.

Final Fight One also kind of influenced how I ended up drawing faces (pretty much like Guy in the screenshot below) and that 80 percent of the time I do feel like drawing something, the character looks like he would belong in a beat 'em up from the '90s.

final-fight-one-16.png

It was also pretty cool to play as Cody in Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Super Street Fighter IV. I usually played as Cody or Haggar in Final Fight One. Guy is cool, of course, don't get me wrong. Cody felt like the most balanced character though, easy to pick up and play, kind of like playing as Ken in Street Fighter, you know?

Also, can I just say Final Fight One had the best intro music. Listen to this and tell me if that doesn't get you pumped to clean up the streets! :messenger_bicep:

Did anyone else enjoy Final Fight One when it released? Would you play a remastered collection of the original trilogy?

Kazza

It would be cool if they remade 2 and 3 using the same arcade board they used to make the original. If SoR4 is a success, hopefully we'll see a Final Fight 4 (it would be even better if they made that using the SFIII arcade board - such beautiful sprites and backgrounds).

I only played 2 and 3 for the first time a couple of years back and thought they were actually pretty good. 2 iin particular seems to get a lot of flak, but I thought it was a solid beat'em up, and a good improvement on the SNES port of the arcade game.

Belmonte

Would be great. Specially Final Fight 2 which, despite being a very fun game, would benefit from more moves and complexity overall.

But to be honest, I would be a lot more happier if they did Final Fight 4. in the same vein of SOR4. 2D with great animations, HD graphics, more moves and the same art style based on the 80s. No modern punks. And let we have the original characters united again: Guy, Cody and Haggar.

alienator

Dont need a HD remake, im enjoying the FPGA CPS1 (beta) arcade core on the MiSTer fpga at the moment with Final Fight , in glorious 1080p and scanlines and the Anniversary 'hack' which enables 3 players on the game. I may sound like a snob but i really hate these games with a HD makeover instead of sprites (like the new streets of rage or that awful Battletoads thats upcomming)

87258507_10159757168081164_8282412863432163328_o.jpg

final fight <3

Would like these games in the style of the Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix to be honest. The first Final Fight is a classic, but honestly, I think the Super Famicom/NES-exclusives are even better games.

And Final Fight One was a great conversion, OP (I owned the Japanese version). Miles better than the Super NES one.

As a beat'em up fanatic, i need to say this: WHAT A BORING SERIES!

When was released on arcades, wow look these graphics, i spent tons of hours and money.

Time passed, Streets of rage appeared and good bye FF.

For me, renegade, double dragon was waaay better than FF.

For snes and sfc, there are tons of better beat'em ups like the Rushing beat series.

Don't get me wrong, i appreciate and respect FF and their fans, but for me, its the most boring beat'em up series (and did not aged well).

I would buy hd remasters for collection purpose!

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
Final Fight One for the Game Boy Advance was the first beat 'em up that I played. It was fun in a very simple but satisfying, arcade-like experience. The constant barrage of thugs and punks to beat up as you advance to the end of each level to fight the boss is a tried and true gameplay loop. I never played the sequels and I wish Capcom would have given them the same treatment on the GBA or even DS, perhaps a double-pack release "Final Fight II & III" or even "Final Fight: The Trilogy" would have been pretty cool. I could be overestimating the worth of the sequels, I don't know.

Final Fight One also kind of influenced how I ended up drawing faces (pretty much like Guy in the screenshot below) and that 80 percent of the time I do feel like drawing something, the character looks like he would belong in a beat 'em up from the '90s.

final-fight-one-16.png

It was also pretty cool to play as Cody in Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Super Street Fighter IV. I usually played as Cody or Haggar in Final Fight One. Guy is cool, of course, don't get me wrong. Cody felt like the most balanced character though, easy to pick up and play, kind of like playing as Ken in Street Fighter, you know?

Also, can I just say Final Fight One had the best intro music. Listen to this and tell me if that doesn't get you pumped to clean up the streets! :messenger_bicep:

Did anyone else enjoy Final Fight One when it released? Would you play a remastered collection of the original trilogy?

Thanks for this thread. I never knew such a remake existed.

Wonko_C

Final Fight 2 and 3 on SNES were just okay IMO. Having only three enemies onscreen maximum (versus the arcade prequel's eight) hurt the intensity of the games a bit too much for my taste.

But I would be all over reworks of those games with simulated CPS-2 hardware capabilities (better sound than CPS-1, but same screen resolution): Bigger sprites, more animation and 8 simultaneous enemies on screen, basically make them feel as if FF 2 and 3 were sequels originally released in arcades.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
No. Final Fight 1 was the only good game in the series. FF2 and 3 were mediocre and lacked the excitement of the original. I guess Maki was a high-point, but that doesn't justify bringing back those kinda crappy games.

Also wouldn't want an HD remaster or remake. Final Fight is fine as it is. The original art is so good that sprucing it up with modern 2D visuals would be a detractor, and a 3D remake would just be stupid. I'm sure they'd mess it up anyway - remember the last port of Final Fight where they constantly bombarded you with overlays about your progress towards achievements? Do not want.

Last edited:
Dont need a HD remake, im enjoying the FPGA CPS1 (beta) arcade core on the MiSTer fpga at the moment with Final Fight , in glorious 1080p and scanlines and the Anniversary 'hack' which enables 3 players on the game. I may sound like a snob but i really hate these games with a HD makeover instead of sprites (like the new streets of rage or that awful Battletoads thats upcomming)

87258507_10159757168081164_8282412863432163328_o.jpg

final fight <3
Yeah the new Battletoads looks like shit. But when I say remastered I don't mean they should change the visual style, just upscale the original assets to HD. It already stood out well on the GBA thanks to the color pallete.

Final Fight 2 and 3 on SNES were just okay IMO. Having only three enemies onscreen maximum (versus the arcade prequel's eight) hurt the intensity of the games a bit too much for my taste.

But I would be all over reworks of those games with simulated CPS-2 hardware capabilities (better sound than CPS-1, but same screen resolution): Bigger sprites, more animation and 8 simultaneous enemies on screen, basically make them feel as if FF 2 and 3 were sequels originally released in arcades.

Yeah the enemy limitation was always a major flaw with beat-em ups on the SNES and especially for FF which relied heavily on crowd control.

I would at the very least be accepting of a "Ninja Warriors Once Again" style reworking for Final Fight 3. That one was the closest to a decent sequel and just adding more enemies and re-doing the shitty sound quality would do wonders for that entry.

Dazrael

As a beat'em up fanatic, i need to say this: WHAT A BORING SERIES!

When was released on arcades, wow look these graphics, i spent tons of hours and money.

Time passed, Streets of rage appeared and good bye FF.

For me, renegade, double dragon was waaay better than FF.

For snes and sfc, there are tons of better beat'em ups like the Rushing beat series.

Don't get me wrong, i appreciate and respect FF and their fans, but for me, its the most boring beat'em up series (and did not aged well).

I would buy hd remasters for collection purpose!

Arcade Final Fight is much better than Streets of Rage and to say that Double Dragon is better is objectively wrong. Final Fight has aged like fine wine and has arguably the best enemy AI in a belt scroller. Even now it still manages to surprise me; I played it the other day and was amazed that three enemies used teamwork to attack me. Teamwork! You never see that in any other scrolling fighter.

I will agree that FF 2 & 3 are boring and mediocre but arcade Final Fight still reigns supreme.

Arcade Final Fight is much better than Streets of Rage and to say that Double Dragon is better is objectively wrong. Final Fight has aged like fine wine and has arguably the best enemy AI in a belt scroller. Even now it still manages to surprise me; I played it the other day and was amazed that three enemies used teamwork to attack me. Teamwork! You never see that in any other scrolling fighter.

I will agree that FF 2 & 3 are boring and mediocre but arcade Final Fight still reigns supreme.

No, It's my opinion.

And FF1 is the most boring of the trilogy.

It looks worse than any other versions of the same game... Anyway, Final fight games were never that good as far as I am concerned.

This genre peaked with streets of rage 2 & 3 😲.

skneogaf

Final fight is in my top 5 so the answer is always yes.

I always wanted capcom to make a final fight type game (brawler) but with street fighter 5 graphics and characters.

Yeah the enemy limitation was always a major flaw with beat-em ups on the SNES and especially for FF which relied heavily on crowd control.

I would at the very least be accepting of a "Ninja Warriors Once Again" style reworking for Final Fight 3. That one was the closest to a decent sequel and just adding more enemies and re-doing the shitty sound quality would do wonders for that entry.
I never heard about Ninja Warriors. Double Dragon and Streets of Rage are the other ones I do know of, apart from Final Fight, and I played a little bit of Streets of Rage 2 but I don't remember if I liked it though it's often considered a classic.

Dazrael

No, It's my opinion.

And FF1 is the most boring of the trilogy.

Then you think it’s subjectively better, doesn’t mean to say it actually is. You should sink some time into arcade Final Fight and have a reappraisal, it often gets a bad rep because of the SNES port which is pretty dull.

Soodanim

Then you think it’s subjectively better, doesn’t mean to say it actually is. You should sink some time into arcade Final Fight and have a reappraisal, it often gets a bad rep because of the SNES port which is pretty dull.
If we're being fair, you told him his opinion is objectively wrong then told him his opinion was subjective, but he didn't claim otherwise - you're the only one who's claimed objectivity.

Belmonte

Nothing objectively about that, it is a matter of taste.

I don't share MasterDerico MasterDerico opinion about Final Fight 1. In fact, I'm not sure which series is my favorite, FF, SOR or DD, but if someone said Double Dragon Advance or Return of Double Dragon (which is not the same as Super DD) is his favorite beat em up, I would respect.

IMO Final Fight has the best enemies, each one challenges the player in a different way and Double Dragon has the best move variety. The Lee brothers have so many moves it seems like it is a kung fu movie.

Streets of Rage is more FF than DD but it is kind of a middle term between the two for me. Better enemies than DD (worse than FF) and more move variety than FF (less than DD). SOR has the best pacing though.

Top Bottom