• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss - Before and After

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mason

olimario said:
And pretty much everyone I know does. Maybe its a Texan thing.
And why are you the final objective say on how I look?

I'll show your picture to some of my friends and see what they think.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Me in 1998 when I lived in Canada - 185lbs

Me in 1999 after living in USA for 10 months - 255lbs

Me now - 238 and getting less all the time...when I don't eat crap at work at least :D

Goal - 215-220 (I have a lot of muscle mass compared to how I was in '98

kablooey

Before the summer started, I was 5'11 and maybe 120 lbs. Now, I'm 5'11 and 118 lbs. (I was trying to gain weight though. D'oh. :()

Hmm, while we're on the weight subject, I got a quick question. Do you guys think I should gain weight, or just try exercising a lot more. I'm trying to get a little bit more cut. Keep in mind I don't want to be HUGE, but a bit more muscle mass would be nice. Should I just keep the current diet and exercise more, or maybe try some weight gainer?

I'm about 5'9, 145 pounds. Here's a couple of pics.
http://members.cox.net/bacon_67/shirtless.jpg
http://members.cox.net/bacon_67/shirtless2.jpg

Any help from you weight lifting gurus would be appreciated.

How's this for a weight loss:

I was 149-151 lbs on June 25th. I'm 5'8'', btw. Anyway, July 28th, upon admittance into the hospital, I'm weighed at 122 lbs. I lost nearly 30 lbs in one month. Since I've been in the hospital, though, I've gained about 9-10 lbs. Thankfully, once I leave, I have my personal trainer to go back to and gain all the weight back. Damn, CF can suck a big one sometimes...

Prine

Banned
High carb and high protien shakes (3 times a day) + 4 days at the gym every week and you'll be ripped!

Give it about 4 months

Prine

Banned
Not really, you'll get used to it anyway.

Just do a regular routine at the gym (focus on 2 muscle groups each visit) i dont think you need cardio, maybe to warm down the muscles after a heavy workout.

OmniGamer

Bacon said:
But don't those shakes taste like shit..?

Not the ones i've had(Designer Protein-French Vanilla and Pure Protein-Vanilla). Pure Protein taste great and mixes easily with a spoon(no blender needed). I tend to stick to vanilla flavors, as others have a real artificial taste to it that tries to hard. But bottom line, you're drinking them for your body's sake, not for your tongue's sake, so think if it that way and just mix&gulp.

Ristamar

Ha! Don't listen to them, Bacon. I have Designer Whey (French Vanilla), and yes, it does taste like shit. The taste may resemble vanilla in some way if, perhaps, vanilla was extracted from a cow's ass immediately after it defecated.

Actually, dirty dish water would more accurately describe the flavor.

In other words, it's not pleasant, but it won't kill you. On the plus side, if you add some stuff to the shake, it will taste better, and it's much better for you than dirty dish water.

Personally, I've only had one protein mix that isn't completely loaded with carbs and sugars but remains relatively tasty even when mixed with only water -- Myoplex.

I was thinking of maybe just cutting carbs out of my diet completely, but only for awhile. Maybe that would give me a leaner look...

OmniGamer

Ristamar said:
Ha! Don't listen to them, Bacon. I have Designer Whey (French Vanilla), and yes, it does taste like shit. The taste may resemble vanilla in some way if, perhaps, vanilla was extracted from a cow's ass immediately after it defecated.

Actually, dirty dish water would more accurately describe the flavor.

In other words, it's not pleasant, but it won't kill you. On the plus side, if you add some stuff to the shake, it will taste better, and it's much better for you than dirty dish water.

Personally, I've only had one protein mix that isn't completely loaded with carbs and sugars but remains relatively tasty even when mixed with only water -- Myoplex.

Maybe if you expect it to taste like a vanilla shake from McDonald's or something...but Pure Protein does taste better than Designer.

And Bacon....get leaner? Um...*looks at waistline*...i'm sure your bodyfat % is already pretty low...if you want to look more defined and toned, then resistance training is needed. Any thinner and you'll be a ghost.

Desperado

kablooey said:
Before the summer started, I was 5'11 and maybe 120 lbs. Now, I'm 5'11 and 118 lbs. (I was trying to gain weight though. D'oh. :()

Holy crap dude, about 2 months ago I weighed more than you [125 lbs]....and I'm 5'4''...you must be skinny as hell!

Jim Bowie

I lost 40 lbs. (250-210) on the "Cholesterol is good for you" diet.

But now I have high Cholesterol. Being fat was healthier :(

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Oli's look suprised the shit out of me. I really believed he was that 12 year old in the E3 pic a few years back.

Littleberu said:
Thanks to Crohn disease, I lost 30 lbs. I'm now at a stable 185 lbs for 6'3. I need to work out again too.

I hope that your "thanks" is sincere. You could be stuck taking cortisone and blow up like a balloon.

HalfPastNoon said:
How's this for a weight loss:

I was 149-151 lbs on June 25th. I'm 5'8'', btw. Anyway, July 28th, upon admittance into the hospital, I'm weighed at 122 lbs. I lost nearly 30 lbs in one month. Since I've been in the hospital, though, I've gained about 9-10 lbs. Thankfully, once I leave, I have my personal trainer to go back to and gain all the weight back. Damn, CF can suck a big one sometimes...

What's CF?

Ristamar

OmniGamer said:
Maybe if you expect it to taste like a vanilla shake from McDonald's or something...but Pure Protein does taste better than Designer.

I can't speak for Pure Protein, but Designer Whey does not taste good at all. I don't expect it to taste like Mickey D's, but it doesn't even come close to having a pleasant flavor. Of course, I only use water, and never add anything else, save for a bit of 1% milk occasionally. "Offensively bland" would be the highest compliment I could give the taste, if I were feeling generous.

While it seems unlikely, maybe I got a bad keg? Considering how much it tastes like other vanilla brands, though, I doubt it. The Myoplex probably spoiled me.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Self improvement is masturbation."

and that's why we should all do it at least once a day. ;)

OmniGamer

Ristamar said:
I can't speak for Pure Protein, but Designer Whey does not taste good at all. I don't expect it to taste like Mickey D's, but it doesn't even come close to having a pleasant flavor. Of course, I only use water, and never add anything else, save for a bit of 1% milk occasionally. "Offensively bland" would be the highest compliment I could give the taste, if I were feeling generous.

While it seems unlikely, maybe I got a bad keg? Considering how much it tastes like other vanilla brands, though, I doubt it. The Myoplex probably spoiled me.

Ah...there you go. With water it's absolutely terrible. Unless i'm out of milk(which i try not to be since i love milk), i tend to mix my protein with fat free milk. When i do have it with water, i just mix it, then gulp it down while holding my breath.

DCX

DCX
f836ccbe.jpg

2004- i weighed about 320 here

1994- Playing basketball for my highschool 6'4" 230lbs
1998- Met my gf/wife 6'5" 280lbs
2002- married one child 6'5" 363
2004- divorced...drama with a woman i love and can't be with... 6'5" 312 ( more definition and muscle tone than i ever had

Goal- Imediate: below 300
Goal-ultimate: 250lbs
Medically Ideal weight for my height: 200lbs

DCX

olimario

Banned
DCX said:
f836ccbe.jpg

2004- i weighed about 320 here

1994- Playing basketball for my highschool 6'4" 230lbs
1998- Met my gf/wife 6'5" 280lbs
2002- married one child 6'5" 363
2004- divorced...drama with a woman i love and can't be with... 6'5" 312 ( more definition and muscle tone than i ever had

Goal- Imediate: below 300
Goal-ultimate: 250lbs
Medically Ideal weight for my height: 200lbs

DCX

Medically Ideal weight for your height doesn't take into account how big you are naturally. There are people my height who weigh 180 and look normal because of their bone structure. I'm at 205 and I look normal because I'm so big.

I will say theres no way 300 is medically ideal though. You're only an inch taller than myself.

OmniGamer

MrPing1000 said:
Pathetic Sheep conforming to what society expects of you!

Oh is that what i'm doing? Let's see, I:

Have no gym-membership
Have never been on ANY diet
Have never purchased any weight-loss/fitness pills or products
Ate a slice of cheesecake two nights in a row this week

My change of lifestyle was motivated from within. It's not based on any trend, societal pressure, and i'm not fanatical about it.

OmniGamer said:
Oh is that what i'm doing? Let's see, I:

Have no gym-membership
Have never been on ANY diet
Have never purchased any weight-loss/fitness pills or products
Ate a slice of cheesecake two nights in a row this week

My change of lifestyle was motivated from within. It's not based on any trend, societal pressure, and i'm not fanatical about it.

You do know I was joking right? RIGHT RIGHT!?!?!!? I had 5 cheese and branson pickle toasties today and a large pizza last night with pepperoni sweetcorn and onions on it + garlic bread. I rock

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I am about 5'10" and 135 lbs. Some people say I'm too skinny, but I don't care -- I eat pretty fantastically and exercise moderately, and feel that I am in reasonably good shape.

If you know you are eating well, and exercising at least semi-regularly, you're doing well regardless of how you might look, IMO. Your health is the most important thing (of course, if your weight bothers you that much, by all means try and work it off -- I'm just saying for those who are concerned about their weight for health reasons, sometimes it's more of an image-based worry caused by societal pressure).

Belfast

Damn, Neutron, you're headed down the road of pain.

Seriously, I think when I first had an anxiety attack (and all of the ensuing anxiety I've had this summer following it), it was influenced by my eating habits. They were absolutely HORRIBLE. Being in college its obviously easier to eat shit, but I always ate shit. Yeah, it tasted good, or whatever, but like I said, I think it played a big part in whatever made my body overload like that a few months ago. I'm only 20, too. The good thing seems to be that my blood pressure, EKG, etc. all came back fine. Hell, my blood pressure is practically textbook. Still, you know, that first attack came not long after I ate some Checker's (Rally's) and in the middle of it I was hit with a pretty rough bit of pain in the chest. I don't know what it was, but it felt like a heart attack might be coming on. Well, it wasn't, but that's what it feels like. Since then, I've been going to a bunch of doctors trying to sort all of this out, but I still have this irrational fear about eating sometimes and my heart exploding on me, even if they say it won't.

I've changed my diet. Its not perfect....I still like cheeses, a little bacon, and fried chicken (good white meat, at least, though), but I also drink water almost exclusively, have cut out red meat almost completely, eat grilled chicken and such at times, and have far more fruits, and a little more veggies. I have dropped about 15 lbs. but I still fear for my health, even if, once again, its irrational. A diet like that is sure to get you in trouble eventually, one way or another. Its not worth it.

DCX

DCX
olimario said:
Medically Ideal weight for your height doesn't take into account how big you are naturally. There are people my height who weigh 180 and look normal because of their bone structure. I'm at 205 and I look normal because I'm so big.

I will say theres no way 300 is medically ideal though. You're only an inch taller than myself.
Yeah i know...people have guess i weighed about 215-250lbs 50-60lbs under what i weigh.

DCX

I was 225 for one year of my life (dont know why, maybe i went to one too many all-you-can-eat places). I lost about 55 pounds in a month and a half, which is where i wanted to be. Im back up to 180 now (3 and a half years later), which is fine with me. I might lose 10 or so in the coming weeks, as soon as my exams are over.

I used the "atkins" diet, if anyone cares. Everyone seemsto be so strongly against it, but as far as im concerned, it worked. It sucks ass forcing yourself to stay away from carbs, but i still managed to eat healthy (chicken breast salads with zero carb dressing was the usual). For a month and a half though, it was easily worth it, especially since i didnt gain much of it back. What i did gain back can be attributed to me eating out way too much, but even then, i gained back very little. It should be noted that i didnt exercize at all through the diet, nor have i since besides for leisure.

I hardly ate any red meat and i took vitamins for what i missed out elsewhere. I had all my ... bodily information tested before, during and after and it was perfectly normal. (heart rate, blood pressure etc)

Since we're all in a sharing mood.

I'm currently 6-8 and clock in about 260-270.
Last year about this time I was going though my wedding and was about 310, 315 depending on the day.

Weird part is I didnt gain any muscle mass until I graduated.. I weigh about 150 then, I was 6-3 or 4. Then I discovered protein and creatine and massive amounts of working out. I love it, I'm such a gym rat.

I hope to get to the 300lbs mark again, just without the excess baggage I had last year. I went from a size 44 waist to 40 this year ( and no I have no gut either, I'm just built LARGE. Weird part, my parents are short.. Dad is 5-6.)

If anyone cares this is my pic of how I look.
http://gametz.com/user/jecclr2003.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom