• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What’s your favorite game that you can beat in an hour or two?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nothing but praise for star fox 64, I can beat that game in one sitting it’s a blast.

star fox GIF

Fredrik

The Last Ninja C64 - I know I’ve done a regular lazy playthrough without rushing past enemies in 45 minutes.
(Cassette tape loading time not included!)

Evil Smurf King

Neo Member
Risk of Rain 2 - One of the greatest games of all time and full of secrets; I play it constantly for about 2-3 years and I didn't discover all of it secrets. A true gem and a all-time classic.

Dead Cells - with all the DLCs it´s great; each run is different, and the agile and fast gameplay works like a dream - GOAT roguelite/roguelike and a modern classic as well;

And...

Jackal (NES) - Hail to the king! Some time ago, I was dreaming about a remake - promised by Konami, but it never happened -, but it's hard to replace this truly masterpiece... Maybe for the better.

Sega Rally Championship (Saturn/PS2 Sega Ages version) - GAME OVER YEAH! 'nuff said.

Nights into Dreams (Saturn/XBOX Live Arcade) - OMG, the godly soundtrack of this game... Even after 20 + years I don´t clearly understand this game, but it's worth your time playing this over and over.

Battle Bakraid (Arcade or... MAME -;)) - Battle Garegga is great and gets all the attention, but it is too esoteric for my humble tastes. This is better (I don't know witch version has more ships and stage selection cheat. Do your reasearch and get this).

Last edited:

Fbh

Journey.
Still remember when I got it I was like "I'll check it out for 10 minutes to see what it is like, but I'll save it for the weekend".
3 hours later
1006b82365c2fc28fa494f7d962f7a8c.jpg

Outer Wilds?

One of my top 5 games ever.
The only problem is that it's basically a one time experience.

Super_Mario_Bros._box.png

I haven’t had my NES connected for a few years, but I used to just randomly play through this. It’s funny to think how difficult this was for me the first few weeks of owning a NES in 1988. Now I could probably run through it non-stop.

ssringo

Zelda II.

I beat this game so many times. The game would mark your save file with the number of lives you spent. After you finish it, it just starts over. I actually finished it twice in one sitting to see if it adds any special mark to your safe file.

it doesn’t.
Since ya'll mentioned Zelda 2, and in case you're unaware, there is a fanmade version on PC. The person remade the entire game with original assets, touched it up and added a bit of extra stuff but everything feels the same as the original. Just do a google search for zelda 2 enhanced pc edition and you'll find it. I finished it last month and had a great time.

Last edited:

Ikutachi

I beat this game so many times. The game would mark your save file with the number of lives you spent. After you finish it, it just starts over. I actually finished it twice in one sitting to see if it adds any special mark to your safe file.

it doesn’t.
Your stats, spells, and sword techniques carry over so I figured it's just something for fun to start the game over with to kick serious ass.

ssringo

Wasn't Zelda II one of the weakest in this series? Was it a total failure or is it acceptable?
It definitely wasn't as well received and has shortcomings but it has it's fans for sure. It's also the second game in the franchise so there wasn't an established formula yet.

As an aside, my favorite Zelda tune originated from Zelda 2

Which got an awesome remix for Smash

Edit: Melee is the version I meant to link!

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Any shmup. Usually takes 20 minutes. It’s the ultimate quick dopamine satisfaction if you want to play a game but not go balls to the walls.

I’ve been doing a LOT of DoDonPachi DOJ since the ps4 release in December.

Very good choice haven't played it in a while. I think that sounds about right once you beat it a couple times and unlocked some of the stuff that becomes perm.
Pretty much, you can go directly from Biome 1 to Biome 3 and then Biome 4 to Biome 6, but you need to be very skilled to do so.

GoldenEye and X-Men on Genesis come to mind. I could probably think of plenty short games that I really love to revisit especially from the 90s.

Top Bottom