• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What activities you hate doing with your kids?

Cyberpunkd

As the topic says, weather is getting bad so kids are at home. They are still small so mom and dad need to play babysitter and find nice activities for them.

I absolutely hate all sort of arts & crafts involving paint. You need to be extremely careful if you don't live like a pig so that kids to not run around and smash the paint on the walls, wooden floor, sofa, etc.

Equally terrible - all sort of 'magic sand' where they can play with the sane inside. It's sand - gets fucking everywhere, you spend as much time cleaning as kids to playing.

What do you hate doing with your little spawns?

I'm not a father, but I've always wanted to be one. Guess I have never found that right woman... and I probably never will! I'm a little weird though as I want sons and not daughters. Maybe I'm self-projecting much?

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I like reading with them and helping them expand their mind.

I do not like the mundane stuff of teaching them how to study. My Daughter is in Geography which for her teacher is just memorizing and labeling maps. I have to convince her that just writing the map 10 to 15 times and she will ace the test. Explaining simple math that I am far beyond. I have to look up how to do the simple stuff, because I deal in algorithms now. I also don't like how they teach math. Current teacher says she doesn't believe in homework for math. Which is dumb. The lesson won't stick without practice.

JBat

My oldest is 7. He's really creative and is trying to write a little book. The problem is that it's basically fan fiction. He takes all these aspects of all the different things he's into and mashes them together. This wouldn't actually be a problem but he is one that constantly talks. Literally his mouth does not stop moving from the moment he opens his eyes in the morning to the moment he closes them at night. So all day we hear about how bendy put ink on Sonic then Henry turned into a mermaid but Mario kills mermaids with his diamond sword but Steve protected him from the lava so that Sally could tell the captain the ship is sinking in the ocean of blood... Kind of worry about him sometimes lol
Also birthday parties. I've only been to 2 with my kids but I swear my blood pressure had never been higher. Thank God my wife takes them most of the time or I would have ruptured something long ago

Lasha

Correcting Chinese. One because I'm a slow reader. Two because teachers are super strict about handwriting which means counting each stroke.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Anything when I'm tired and they are full of energy.
Play-doh is also an absolute pain if you have carpet, that shit gets mashed in there and then hardens.

Kimahri

Banned
You need to be extremely careful if you don't live like a pig so that kids to not run around and smash the paint on the walls, wooden floor, sofa, etc.

Equally terrible - all sort of 'magic sand' where they can play with the sane inside. It's sand - gets fucking everywhere, you spend as much time cleaning as kids to playing.

I have never had these problems.

We've been pretty consistent in only doing these things at the table though, never had issues. Clean up is never more than a damp cloth to wash away any stray drops of paint. The sand isn't an issue either, we have this bowl like thing for it, and just vacumm any stray sand.

I recommend trading in your kids for some tidy ones. I highly recommend it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
My oldest is 7. He's really creative and is trying to write a little book. The problem is that it's basically fan fiction. He takes all these aspects of all the different things he's into and mashes them together. This wouldn't actually be a problem but he is one that constantly talks. Literally his mouth does not stop moving from the moment he opens his eyes in the morning to the moment he closes them at night. So all day we hear about how bendy put ink on Sonic then Henry turned into a mermaid but Mario kills mermaids with his diamond sword but Steve protected him from the lava so that Sally could tell the captain the ship is sinking in the ocean of blood... Kind of worry about him sometimes lol
Also birthday parties. I've only been to 2 with my kids but I swear my blood pressure had never been higher. Thank God my wife takes them most of the time or I would have ruptured something long ago
lmao. mine is very talkative too. it will get better as they age. other kids in school or teachers wont tolerate the constant talking and he will learn and adjust.

but the fact that he wants to write is very encouraging. i cant get mine to read and apparently reading at that age is the key to success later in life. it all starts when they are 7-8.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
-Play dough fucking sucks but they love it.

-My 4 year wants to write Christmas cards to like everyone we know this year. It’s cute, and I like the sentiment and the desire to learn to read and write well, but each one I swear it takes like 10 minutes to spell out something like “you are the best aunt ever I love you”

As the topic says, weather is getting bad so kids are at home. They are still small so mom and dad need to play babysitter and find nice activities for them.

I absolutely hate all sort of arts & crafts involving paint. You need to be extremely careful if you don't live like a pig so that kids to not run around and smash the paint on the walls, wooden floor, sofa, etc.

What do you hate doing with your little spawns?

My advice is live in the now and put a little aside to repaint, recarpet, retouch your home when your kids get older. Young kids, teenagers and their friends trash walls, corners, surfaces etc even when they're well behaved mostly.

My pet hate is mindless things e.g. beetroot on a kitchen countertop, use a knife on the countertop. The usual mundane things you tell/teach your kids over and over if only they'd take a second to process things better.

DelireMan7

My daughter loves craft things but I hate this. Now I told her that I don't like that so I let her do but still supervise her a bit to avoid a mess.

I also do not like when they want to paint, not because I am afraid of spills or stains everywhere, but because it involves too many "infrastructure and cleaning" (you need protection for the table, space, water for brushes, palette for the paint then afterward you have too clean brushes, palettes, water cup...) Don't know, it's too annoying for me xD.

For a time, my children always wanted to play "parents/child" role play. Especially my daughter wanted to play the baby. I hate this because it's not a game for me, it's my everyday life. So again I told her, it's not funny for me.

But I am fine with reading books, playing boardgames, videogames, and every child games (hide and seek, etc...) and roleplay (like "teacher and student")

OZ9000

Banned
My ocd is so bad

My son is 3 and still isn't potty trained - I am absolutely hating the process right now

I don't ever want another kid

Fools idol

Banned

you basically raising Jeffrey Dahmer bruh

jokes, this is actually hilarious. My kid is 3.5 and she talks constantly already, I feel were on the same path

Fools idol

Banned
My ocd is so bad

My son is 3 and still isn't potty trained - I am absolutely hating the process right now

hang in there. Wife is also extremely ocd about germs and tidying and it was a nightmare but one day our kid just .. got it. We had this book called princess penny potty or some shit that made it into a little game and our kid took to it like a breeze after that.

Mine is 2 in a couple of weeks.

Yeah I didn’t account for how difficult winter would be. The wife usually takes him to the park twice a day every day. That… is over. The house is trashed. He has so much energy. For the first time I feel my age!

I work from home and that was wonderful before. He’s crawl over to the office door and sit there and wait for me towards the end of the working day. That is also over. Now he’ll slam the door open, pile in and start smashing at my keyboard, closely followed by a rushing, frazzled wife.

The only activity I hate is catching Hot Wheels cars before they smash the TV screen.

God I hope he’s like me and just wants to sit around reading all day instead of playing with messy toys.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

My ocd is so bad

We tried it with our oldest when she was 2-years old, no success. She just learned within a year by looking how her friends are doing. I think potty training is a massive scam industry.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Snl Queen GIF by Saturday Night Live

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I used to eat playdough as a kid.

...wait. I guess that explains everything
My wife actually started making it homemade...it's not quite the same consistency but it's cheaper and I'm pretty sure there's nothing inedible in it...can't be worse than my 22 month old putting a loaded up paint brush in the mouth...(non-toxic paint thankfully)

lachesis

Going to kids birthday parties when they are young as accompanying parent to look after.
I mean they are so cute and all - but I'm just a natural born introvert who doesn't like crowded, loud parties with many parents that I barely know.
Also the food. If I had to eat that horrible Chuck-e-cheese pizza or dried bagels and veggie dips.. :(

Havoc2049

Dealing with the way they teach math these days when helping my daughter out with her homework. They took something quick, simple and strait forward like basic math and made it complicated. 🤣

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I hate genetic disorders, but I love my kid with a genetic disorder.

My step daughter also talks non stop, doesn’t listen, and won’t go to bed when she’s suppose to. She’s had her Switch taken away for months for her attitude. Dinner time also sucks with her. She hates everything and will demand we feed her whatever she wants. My wife or I will spend time making a meal and she complains every single day. I wish I could eat in another room. Even when she gets her way, she has something to complain about. We’ve made special meals for her, but I never see her attitude change. Bedtime and dinner are probably the worst.

I love everything else about her. She asks me about plots in games I’m playing. She would be my best movie pal because she loves horror. She can’t watch any of the films she asks me about. I don’t let her play M rated games and I don’t discuss them with her. Her bio dad shows her stuff when she’s there. It’s one of those “do the right thing as a parent” type of things. When she’s older it might be a lot more interesting discussing these things.

I have a newborn and the activity I hate most is trying to get her to sleep at night
My wife got mad at me for always rocking, bouncing, and for a while wearing a vest with him in it. Cause he got older and doing that would lead to serious injury. He would throw a fit and come to expect being put to bed that way.

My ocd is so bad

You'll love hearing this one then. My daughter self-trained potty, toilet and basically the whole deal with a few hygiene tips from mum. It might has well have been angels and beams of light in that dunny.

Being dad, I got our son first up, who took a while to feel comfortable about where to shit and to this day still probably hates wiping his own arse. He'd hold in his shits during early primary school and we'd have to suppository his stool. It took about 1.5 years to get him out of that. He still prefers to shit at home, many adults do.

Good luck mate.

OZ9000

Banned
You'll love hearing this one then. My daughter self-trained potty, toilet and basically the whole deal with a few hygiene tips from mum. It might has well have been angels and beams of light in that dunny.

Being dad, I got our son first up, who took a while to feel comfortable about where to shit and to this day still probably hates wiping his own arse. He'd hold in his shits during early primary school and we'd have to suppository his stool. It took about 1.5 years to get him out of that. He still prefers to shit at home, many adults do.

Good luck mate.
Girls seem to be a little brighter I think. My niece is more advanced in terms of potty training than my son.

Winter John

Gold Member
Going to my kid's concert/talent nights at her school. Christ they suck. I fuckin hate going to those things. Obviously I love seeing my kid on the stage but the rest of it blows. For some reason there's always a fat kid playing a trumpet. The last one there was some kid singing a Dylan song. She started off doing all this breathy vocal shit then halfway in she started rapping the lyrics. It was horrifying. I wanted to punch her in the teeth.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I get to go to a spelling bee today. The USA gets knocked down a peg on the world stage in my book because of this stupid obsession with spelling bees. Painful for everyone involved and also focuses on a completely useless skill. I feel bad because I really want my kid to fail so they don't progress past their school competition - but I have to suck it up and encourage and praise my kid.

Cyberpunkd

Going to kids birthday parties when they are young as accompanying parent to look after.
Sounds painful - in France birthday party is 2 hours ON THE DOT, you drop your kid, go away, pick them in 2 hours.
I get to go to a spelling bee today. The USA gets knocked down a peg on the world stage in my book because of this stupid obsession with spelling bees. Painful for everyone involved and also focuses on a completely useless skill. I feel bad because I really want my kid to fail so they don't progress past their school competition - but I have to suck it up and encourage and praise my kid.
Think about it this way - at least in a few years they won't misspell "rogue" for "rouge".

Top Bottom