• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the best classic Xbox games playable on SeriesX/S?

Shtef

I never had an original Xbox when I was growing up, only a PS2. Now, I'm in the mood for some old classic games. What are the must-play games that I can buy digitally?

GenericUser

Morrowind
Morrowind
Morrowind
This is the wrongest possible answer. The draw distance and overall performance on xbox is abysmal. If you have any chance to play it on pc, get it there.

I say one of the best games you can get is RDR1 from the xbox 360 generation. That game never was ported to PC and the xbox 360 version is the definitive way to play this classic.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I never had an original Xbox when I was growing up, only a PS2. Now, I'm in the mood for some old classic games. What are the must-play games that I can buy digitally?
Panzer Dragoon Orta, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure, Kotor 1/2, Alan Wake, Desdly Premonition, Dead Space, Morrowind, Oblivion, Blinx, etc… need to look into what I have available again hehe there is tons of stuff :)!

Last edited:

KaiserBecks

This is the wrongest possible answer. The draw distance and overall performance on xbox is abysmal. If you have any chance to play it on pc, get it there.

Morrowind is running at 4K/60fps on Series X, so if you‘re into trying the vanilla experience, this is a great and comfortable way to go.

OP you should also try Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and Conker‘s Bad Fur Day. Knights of the Old Republic is also a must play.

GenericUser

Morrowind is running at 4K/60fps on Series X, so if you‘re into trying the vanilla experience, this is a great and comfortable way to go.

OP you should also try Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and Conker‘s Bad Fur Day. Knights of the Old Republic is also a must play.
But the draw distance is still very very low, isn't it?

It’ll put hair on your chest
CWxc5SK.jpg

I say one of the best games you can get is RDR1 from the xbox 360 generation. That game never was ported to PC and the xbox 360 version is the definitive way to play this classic.
The PC version of Morrowind doesn't have controller support so that's a deal breaker for me at least.

Maybe also consider (re)playing muliplatform titles like Max Payne 1 + 2 and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory as they run now in glorious 4k/60.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Somebody said here once on NeoGAF that if the Activision -Microsoft deal went through then Microsoft would resume brining more of their B.C titles back...however without a shadow of a doubt, you could only DREAM of getting such games playable on the Playstation 5...(yeah I know on the flip side you'll get folks saying well the console is doing just fine without the classics..)

ReBurn

Gold Member
I was playing Dead or Alive 3 last night and it's kind of amazing how good a game that old looks on current gen machines. You can tell it was originally made for a standard def machine but It scales really well.

I play the Xbox version of KOTOR most. That's the top game for me. Morrowind is good, too.

Last edited:
Today's potato can run Morrowind perfectly, so unless you literally have no other option I'd suggest playing it anywhere else. The controller scheme is.....ambitious to say the least, definitely a kb/m game.

Kotor, jade empire, crimson skies, bad fur day
Definitely go with these, KOTOR 2 is serviceable, but the ending is missing in the retail version so it has to be modded back. Star Wars Republic Commando is also brilliant.

Honestly the only OG Xbox exclusives that aren't there are the MechAssault games, God those were good times.

MarkMe2525

Today's potato can run Morrowind perfectly, so unless you literally have no other option I'd suggest playing it anywhere else. The controller scheme is.....ambitious to say the least, definitely a kb/m game.

Definitely go with these, KOTOR 2 is serviceable, but the ending is missing in the retail version so it has to be modded back. Star Wars Republic Commando is also brilliant.

Honestly the only OG Xbox exclusives that aren't there are the MechAssault games, God those were good times.
I still have my mechassault disc, I wish they would have figured out the licensing issues for that title. Jumping back into that game would have been a huge nostalgia high.

Cashon

Banned
Red Dead Redemption is the top pick. You can't play it on PC, it looks fantastic, and load times are shorter. It's pretty much a remaster on a Xbox One X/Series X, which is the only place to play it in this state. I replayed it in 2020 and still think it holds up as one of my favorite games of all time.

Ben87fr

I'd say the splinter cells (1, pandora tomorrow, chaos theory and double agent on the original xbox), both kotor 1 and 2, jade empire

intbal

Armed and Dangerous
Black
Breakdown
Crimson Skies
Mercenaries
Morrowind
Knights of the Old Republic
Timesplitters: Future Perfect
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Splinter Cell Double Agent

Those are my picks for the OG Xbox games that are not only great games, but are significantly enhanced by backwards compatibility. So, for example, even if you played Black on PS2, playing it on Series X at high resolution with perfect performance (and semi-widescreen) is just a far better experience.
KOTOR and Morrowind are enhanced even more since the original games suffered from extremely long load times. On Series X, the loads are essentially instantaneous, which transforms the gameplay experience beyond what simple performance and resolution boosts can achieve.

Last edited:
Also Halo 1 & 2 through Master Chief Collection.

*Wish Vanilla Ninja Gaiden 1 and Genma Onimusha were BC.
I bet Genma Onimusha having pre-rendered backgrounds makes BC a challenge. When I played Resident Evil 2 on an emulator, the backgrounds were in ~240p but the characters, which are real-time polygons, were in 4K. It's a jarring look.

Yeah, that is correct. And it sucks. I hate using mouse and keyboard.

The PC version of Morrowind doesn't have controller support so that's a deal breaker for me at least.

A Morrowind mod for controller support. Probably not the best experience since the game wasn't designed for it, but where there's a will, there's a way.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I think that Metal Gear solid 2 got a special edition named substance for Xbox ? I saw Splinter Cell so I have to put MGS2 there too.

Top Bottom