• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What dead game do you wish you could play again?

StueyDuck

WARHAWK!!!!!

Ps3 obvs

Although with modern gaming and twitch kids etc, it'd probably be sweaty as fuck and kinda shitty.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I am probably the only one....

everquestonlinefrontiers_ps2box.jpg

How many sub-titles does a game need lol

RickSanchez

A bunch of DOS games, which may not exactly be dead, but would be too cumbersome to get running on a modern WIndows 11 system - Sky Roads, Paratrooper, Ski Free, Road Rash, Test Drive, Dangerous Dave - these are some of my earliest gaming memories. If someone knows of an easy way to play these on a modern system, let me know. I actually tried to get Road Rash running a while ago, but couldn't manage it.

Yes, i'm old.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
A bunch of DOS games, which may not exactly be dead, but would be too cumbersome to get running on a modern WIndows 11 system - Sky Roads, Paratrooper, Ski Free, Road Rash, Test Drive, Dangerous Dave - these are some of my earliest gaming memories. If someone knows of an easy way to play these on a modern system, let me know. I actually tried to get Road Rash running a while ago, but couldn't manage it.

Yes, i'm old.

Dosbox

Even works in the browser:

RickSanchez

Dosbox

Even works in the browser:

I need to check this out when i get back home from work.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Phantasy Star Online. I really loved that game, especially when playing with a good group.

PSO2 just isn't the same.

Wins the thread.

Still miss my Afro magic dude to this day.

So as a long time PSO player there was a reason I didn't list it for a dead game I wish I could play again.

That's because I play it to this day on and off.

Your not the only people that miss PSO compared to the travesty that came afterwards (OK OK the DS PSZero was good too) so people keep the game going, and there's plenty of people who do.

Last edited:
Motor City Online. I think it came out around 2001 or so and was basically like an MMO for car junkies. There was an incredible amount of detail (especially for the time) that went into building each car and the online community was great. Definitely some of the most fun I've ever had in a video game and it was actually made by EA back before they turned into a giant steaming pile of shit.

00_Zer0

Team Fortress Classic
Battlefield 2
[PC version with 64 players and commanders - not the garbage console version]

Still the 2 best FPS games of all time. Who would've thought gaming would regress so far?

TFC is still available to purchase on Steam. Not many players keep it going nowadays though, but it's still alive and kicking, and ready to purchase on Steam. Unless you are talking about the old Quake version before Valve scooped up the modders that created it? I played so much more of TFC than TF2. For whatever reason I couldn't get into TF2 the way I was able to get into TFC.

Naked Lunch

TFC is still available to purchase on Steam. Not many players keep it going nowadays though, but it's still alive and kicking, and ready to purchase on Steam. Unless you are talking about the old Quake version before Valve scooped up the modders that created it? I played so much more of TFC than TF2. For whatever reason I couldn't get into TF2 the way I was able to get into TFC.
Ive owned TFC on Steam the day the Steam client released - it was pretty much the launch game of Steam itself from my memory. I remember people hated Steam to death back then, hah.

I wouldnt call TFC 'alive and kicking' in 2024.
To be fair I havent tried recently but there was literally 2 servers with maybe 10 people the last I checked, heh.
I would love for it to see a resurgence though - but I know that aint happening.

I feel you on the TFC/TF2 comparison. TF2 removed all the insane (and fun) nade and conc jumping. TFC (and TF1) are still completely unique FPS experiences.
Team Fortress Classic is still probably my favorite videogame of all time.

Last edited:
Castlevania Harmony of Despair. It needs a PC version.
Oh Hell yes! It seems like such a no-brainer. Konami could just keep adding levels and characters. We got that Getsu Fuma level and character pack to finish, they could do even more crossovers and promote new stuff.
What about a MGS Delta jungle map with a fight against The Sorrow at the end?
We could get reps from more games, more retro maps. Just live service it, Konami, if that is the money paw curse needed to make this game happen.

It'd be so cheap for them to make and maintain, even if it didn't sell in big numbers it would turn a profit and make fans happy!
Hell, this is how I got my wee cousin into the series!

do it jewish GIF

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Ive owned TFC on Steam the day the Steam client released - it was pretty much the launch game of Steam itself from my memory. I remember people hated Steam to death back then, hah.

I wouldnt call TFC 'alive and kicking' in 2024.
To be fair I havent tried recently but there was literally 2 servers with maybe 10 people the last I checked, heh.
I would love for it to see a resurgence though - but I know that aint happening.

I feel you on the TFC/TF2 comparison. TF2 removed all the insane (and fun) nade and conc jumping. TFC (and TF1) are still completely unique FPS experiences.
Team Fortress Classic is still probably my favorite videogame of all time.

Naaaaaa TFC massively predates steam, I had like half a decade on WON.net playing it before steam. TFC was on there at launch, but so was CS 1.6, Half Life Team Deathmatch and Day of Defeat. It was just valve moving there old still active multiplayer games from WON.net to steam. I think the first new title steam actually got was Half Life 2.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Naaaaaa TFC massively predates steam, I had like half a decade on WON.net playing it before steam. TFC was on there at launch, but so was CS 1.6, Half Life Team Deathmatch and Day of Defeat. It was just valve moving there old still active multiplayer games from WON.net to steam. I think the first new title steam actually got was Half Life 2.
Well - sure.
I bought one of those big box pc Halflife and TFC boxes way back before Steam existed.

I mean - TFC was one of the first games to launch on the Steam client.
I remember the TFC community was freaking out over having to DL and transition over to Steam.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Well - sure.
I bought one of those big box pc Halflife and TFC boxes way back before Steam existed.

I mean - TFC was one of the first games to launch on the Steam client.
I remember the TFC community was freaking out over having to DL and transition over to Steam.

I was a global server admin for one of the largest UK server providers Multiplay at the time. For us it was essentially because the new account system used the Steam ID instead of IP like WON. This ment that much of our admin tooling needed a rework which might have sounded easy (and it eventually turned out to be) but as we where also a business selling servers, making sure all the owners and the commands on things like mIRC still worked after the change over was a nightmare.

Was a stressful couple of months.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 multiplayer and its Vietnam expansion were the closest to perfection that the franchise ever got, with map designs that were ridiculously better than everything that followed.

I can fire up BF2042 and play the Portal mode renditions whenever they come up, sure, but it's just not the same.

I wish Battleborn was still able to be played, I really liked it and thought it was better than Overwatch gameplay wise.
Strange choice. I mean, the game lasted about two weeks until Overwatch hit the shelves. How did you get so attached to it in such a short time?

Mondai

Strange choice. I mean, the game lasted about two weeks until Overwatch hit the shelves. How did you get so attached to it in such a short time?
I’m, I played it every day for the whole period it was online and I loved it… what’s so hard to understand about this?

Neon Xenon

Hawken. The real Hawken, not that Reborn bullshit from a year back.

I can't think of another mech game that felt as fluid and as easy to pick up as that one did. FPS controls combined with the weighty feel of mechs was a fantastic combo. Lost many hours to that.

Top Bottom