• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what did you wanna be when you grew up??

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Seriously.

490a16c371c3a0810aa1d97025b1b602.jpg

Rayderism

I wanted to be rich so I didn't have to work. But that didn't pan out.

My new plan takes advantage of people who "identify" as something they are not....

I identify as a 70 year old retired guy. Where's my Social Security check?

I've a feeling this won't pan out either. Sigh.....back to reality and my miserable factory job.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As a young kid in kindergarten (or around that age), bus driver or fireman in the hose truck. Then a bit older, porking the hot chicks in Threes Company.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I never cared. I never had an answer to this question as a kid.

And I still don't know.

I kinda like experiencing this particular incarnation even though I wouldn't care if it stopped next morning. Still, there's some stuff I'd like to experience. It's has been a fascinating ride in both extremes for now though.

Last edited:

nush

I wanted to work for my favorite game company. That way I'd get their games for free, play all their games early and hopefully work with some cool people who made those games.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Is this a sentence, and does anyone understand it.
I tried to run it through Google Translate and got nothing.

Kanjo got it right, though.
I think the dude got some issues posting all these semi-esoteric threads.

Anyway, I wanted to be a lunch analyst when I was a kid, but never quite made it.

Last edited:

badblue

I wanted to be a writer.

One of those dreams I shelfed for a few decades due to life even though I always had the time to work on it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I wanted to work with computers since I was in middle school and got my hands on a used Commodore computer and learned BASIC.

I'm so fortunate that I was able to make it happen at a time when most courses and jobs were in large cities and my youth and education was mostly rural near a smaller city. I had to do a job I didn't want for a while as I fought to get my foot in the door at my first software job at a small software company.

AREYOUOKAY?

Perhaps I avoided a terrible fate by not becoming an artist with the current state of video games especially being one for Blizzard. They are not the respectable dream job company anymore.

nuwoevB.jpeg

That and the rapidly progressing AI art apocalypse.
Which I have already embraced to make funny pictures.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

A lot better than what i did grow up to be, but then again, i thought i'd grow up to be brilliant at everything at a young age, it didn't quite happen lol.

Quasicat

Gold Member
In late elementary school, I wanted to be a history teacher master chef. I had it all figured out, I would teach during the day and would then open my restaurant up for the evening/night. I remember talking with my guidance counselor and I was getting to a point in my life where I needed to make a choice. I went with teaching, but now I cook all of the time at home. With the advent of ai, I use co-pilot to help me come up with awesome dishes to try out on my family.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Archaeologist and Jackie Chan.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I was crazy 20 years ago with the shit I could do because I literally wanted to be like Jackie.
Then I go old...I can still do stuff and few people have caught me doing it with 😳 on their face
but it doesn't come without the pain...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
"archaeologist"
same here its fucking Indiana Jones film is it not
Don't get me wrong, i love indiana jones, but i was all about dinosaurs, discovering bones etc.

At some point i was able to describe any dinosaur that has been discovered, weight, size, location of discovery, diet etc, not even joking, i was obsessed :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
When I was really little Fireman or Astronaut. But the first job I remember actually wanting was when I started college I was majoring in English because I wanted to be a video games writer/journalist. Luckily I wised up and changed majors/direction. I really dodged a fucking bullet there.

Ristifer

A comedian. However, when you get children to laugh at your dumbass antics as a kid, it doesn't really translate well into your teenage/adult years. Unless you're on Jackass.

Plus, I'm not funny.

Aesius

I never really had a career in mind as a kid. The first one that really appealed to me was college professor, and that was when I was in college. I had never remotely considered teaching, but college profs seemed to have much better jobs in comparison to high school/middle/elementary school teachers. But I abandoned that idea after researching it pretty heavily. I just wasn't willing to jump through all the hoops it takes to land a tenure-track position. Plus, I wasn't passionate enough about any particular subject to want to devote my life to it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom