• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Horror Movie Still Affects You As An Adult?

2011's Grave Encounters fits the bill. It is about a paranormal investigation tv show crew that gets stuck in a mental hospital and reality just warps around them in unforgettable ways. It reminds me of ghost stories where places shift and it just makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

I was very scared of horror movies when I was a kid. But none of those movies managed to leave a lasting impression on me.
My wife though, watched The Exorcist and to this day it still terrifies her.

Hereditary, I'm sure going in not knowing what to expect didn't help. It was a traumatic experience, half way through the movie you are still trying to guess what movie is about and they do drop hints in the movie but unless you are into that shit or know it u haven't got a clue, so it almost lies to you, pulls you in. Great movie.
I didn't watch it as a kid obviously, but it's a movie I don't think I'll ever watch again.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Jaws. Final answer.
I saw Jaws on TV when I was way too young with the only condition that my mom watched it with me.

Of course 2 minutes in the phone rings and my mom talks to my aunt in the kitchen (We had landline phones on the wall back then kids) for about 45 minutes.

But it's too late when she comes back, I'm already a mess traumatized with floating severed heads and that asshole Mayor who won't close the beach.

And then there's this bit forever stuck in my head. Thank you Robert Shaw 😆

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Honestly, her acting was great. I feel like a jerk saying this, but it was her Hollywood facial work that took me out of it. When they took great pains for verisimilitude for the rest of the movie, apparent plastic surgery took me out of it

Indeed. Well said. Its was the face. Why feel like a jerk? She looked like she's wearing a very expensive and brand new Halloween mask when juxtaposed with the grimey vibe of film. She was so beautiful.

But yeah it was BAD choice.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Indeed. Well said. Its was the face. Why feel like a jerk? She looked like she's wearing a very expensive and brand new Halloween mask when juxtaposed with the grimey vibe of film. She was so beautiful.

But yeah it was BAD choice.
I feel like a jerk because I don't think it's beautiful. It creeps me out in an uncanny valley way

QSD

The most recent horror movie I saw was The Dark & The Wicked and that stayed with me for a couple of days, but more because of the overall bleak atmosphere. Very well made, with some unsettling scenes.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I saw Jaws on TV when I was way too young with the only condition that my mom watched it with me.

Of course 2 minutes in the phone rings and my mom talks to my aunt in the kitchen (We had landline phones on the wall back then kids) for about 45 minutes.

But it's too late when she comes back, I'm already a mess traumatized with floating severed heads and that asshole Mayor who won't close the beach.

And then there's this bit forever stuck in my head. Thank you Robert Shaw 😆

Which scene had the floating heads? I kept thinking they'd edit so those weren't visible. Did you mean when the fisherman's leg is severed?

The scene from Jaws that got me as a kid was when Quint (Shaw) is being eaten and spits blood everywhere. Many later TV cuts censored that but still showed him being eaten. By the way, with the DVD release they showed the extras where they'd reshot that scene like 5 times. There was one which was much more intense and better it didn't make it to the final cut. MPAA was ready to slap an R-rating on Jaws anyway and I'm not sure what type of smooth talking the producers and Spielberg did to get it down to a PG.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Which scene had the floating heads? I kept thinking they'd edit so those weren't visible. Did you mean when the fisherman's leg is severed?

The scene from Jaws that got me as a kid was when Quint (Shaw) is being eaten and spits blood everywhere. Many later TV cuts censored that but still showed him being eaten. By the way, with the DVD release they showed the extras where they'd reshot that scene like 5 times. There was one which was much more intense and better it didn't make it to the final cut. MPAA was ready to slap an R-rating on Jaws anyway and I'm not sure what type of smooth talking the producers and Spielberg did to get it down to a PG.
I just rewatched that scene and I was mistaken 😁

It's the part where they find an abandoned boat and Hooper dives in. He finds a shark tooth then the dead guy's head pops in through a hole in the hull. Not severed but all ghastly & messed up 😄

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I just rewatched that scene and I was mistaken 😁

It's the part where they find an abandoned boat and Hooper dives in. He finds a shark tooth then the dead guy's head pops in through a hole in the hull. Not severed but all ghastly & messed up 😄
Yeah and that scene was unexpected when they shot that. Glad that scene never got cut before they pushed the theatrical.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Event Horizon is just great, love that movie. Despite seemingly everyone dunking on it at release, I always thought it was the one SF/Horror hybrid of its time worthy of being up there with Alien and The Thing.

deathsaber

There's also this fucked up scene in the otherwise trashy movie Troll were Sonny bonos character gets turned into this weird plant thing. That still gets me.

Fuck this scene lol

tenor.gif

The movies that deeply affect me are not actually horror movies.

The Elephant Man with Anthony Hopkins, John Hurt and Anne Barcroft for instance. Any film that portrays humanity in that light.

LimanimaPT

The Exorcist, Alien, Poltergeist and The Fly.
Well, I'm not scared anymore, but those really scared the hell out of me as a kid, especially The Exorcist.
Ho boy, I miss fealing scared with movies...

Edit: And Evil Dead, that one was terrifying too...

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I could never really watch The fly growing up, I tried at different points in my lifetime due to sheer curiosity but its not even scary it's just fucking disgusting. To this day I havent tried again.

Fools idol

Banned
You guys will laugh but Blair Witch Project.

I watched it with two friends on my 12th birthday right before we went camping together for the weekend while my parents where away thinking we were being smart asses and I'd be lying if I said I got a wink of sleep on that camping trip... turns out my friends older brother and his girlfriend had caught on to our dumb idea and followed us out to the woods to fuck with us in the night. I distinctly remember that scene where the guy is just fucking screaming for help and the girl in the woods is convinced it is her friend calling for help and that really stuck with me...

We woke up the first night at 3 am to the sound of what I now obviously know was his brother shouting us and some noises outside our tent to mimic what happens in the movie and all 3 of us hauled ass out of there so fast we didnt even realise it was actually him lmao... my friend was histerical by that point thinking the blair witch had his brother 🤣 I dont think we ever found the tent cause we didnt dare go back for it for weeks, before his brother admitted it. My parents were away for the week after and I just spent the nights with the lights on, while my friends brother played oblivious to troll us, my friend finally got sick from anxiety and that is when his bro admitted the troll. Looking back it was fucking amazing pranking. He had us all terrified and convinced that the blair witch was real and I was damn near 13 years old rofl

Last edited:
Top Bottom