• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Horror Movie Still Affects You As An Adult?

Mr Hyde

A Nightmare on Elm Street and Pet Sematary are still scary and creepy films. I watch them from time to time and they still hold up very well, much thanks to the excellent stories that are told and imaginative visuals that back it up. Another movie I find incredibly hard to watch, even today, is Irreversible. I didn't see it as a kid, I was in my twenties when it released in 2002, but goddamn it fucked me up bad. I think the movie is legit good, with a strong message about revenge and how shit can quickly escalate to something so horrible that it completely destroys your life, but fucking hell is it painful to watch.

Mr1999

Hereditary, I'm sure going in not knowing what to expect didn't help. It was a traumatic experience, half way through the movie you are still trying to guess what movie is about and they do drop hints in the movie but unless you are into that shit or know it u haven't got a clue, so it almost lies to you, pulls you in. Great movie.

midnightAI

Wow, weird, thought I'd be the only one to say Jaws was one of the scariest films I'd ever seen. I was a kid though, probably about 8 or 9, but I couldn't dangle my legs over the edge of my bed at night for weeks after that. Not an issue at all now though, I don't think any movie scares me now.

Alien Abduction (The McPherson Tape) was kinda freaky when it was first released though even though it's low budget, I was just flicking through channels and that came on, didn't know the name of the film or what it even was because I missed the very beginning.

StueyDuck

Nothing so much as an adult (I also don't watch many horror movies since my teens anyway).

But I remember watching darkness falls. The one where the monster kills you when your last tooth falls out.

I must of been like 11-12 . Thought I was a big boy because horror movies generally didn't disrupt me. But then in a cruel twist of fate that night my last tooth actually fell out.

That was not a good night 🤣. Obviously in retrospect it's moronic but 11 year old me wasn't as tough as I thought

Sinister intro doesn't sit with me well either but that's not the horror nature, there's just something about how it's filmed that when watching it gives the chills...

kondorBonk

Funny Games: 1997 Original
A fantastic movie where the villains don't really seem like they are filled with hate or have some ultimate goal. Just bored kids who decided to be cruel which leaves everyone unprepared. A more realistic approach to the idea from beginning to end. Some of the real world horrors committed by adolescence make it all the more believable.

American Beauty: 1999
Its hard to describe. Nothing rocks me more than existential dread and for some reason this movie makes it hit hard.

Last edited:
Hereditary, I'm sure going in not knowing what to expect didn't help. It was a traumatic experience, half way through the movie you are still trying to guess what movie is about and they do drop hints in the movie but unless you are into that shit or know it u haven't got a clue, so it almost lies to you, pulls you in. Great movie.
It's one of my favourite horror movies. I remember going to see it in the cinema and when that scene happened it was super quiet. The movie like you say drops hints but you don't realise at the time. The most obvious was the nut allergy being mentioned cause you just knew it was going to be important but I never expected it to go that way lol.

Midsommar was kinda the same. Good for rewatching to catch all the hints. It does show a painting at the start which shows the events of the movie but it's not on screen long enough and you just forget about it especially after that kind of opening sequence. Overall it's not as scary as Hereditary but still one of my favourites.

It's a shame Beau is Afraid sucked. I hope Ari Aster's next movie is another horror.

I went to the theater in high school. I remember I had seen a preview I thought it was a pure SciFi movie. I was not prepared for that for sure.

Also that scene in the Omen when the babysitter kills herself by jumping off that building. It wasnt graphic or anything but it was disturbing.
I am very interested in the sequel series
Hopefully Joely Richardson and Richard T Jones come back.

Mossybrew

Agreed OP Poltergeist was really freaky when I was a kid. But I haven't been scared or legitimately bothered by horror movies as an adult. True crime stuff is the only thing that can be upsetting so I usually steer clear of that category.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
What horror movie did you see as a kid still affect you, in the sense that it scares the living crap out of you, even as an adult? Something that's pretty much burned into your brain.

For me it's the original Poltergeist. That movie still scares the crap out of me today. Even the ghost walking down the stairs scres the living shit out of me. And I won't even go into the things that come out of that portal when they're trying to rescue Carol Anne.

Of course one part that really screwed me up as a kid is one you can probably guess and that would be the guy tearing his face off. What makes that worse is the uncanny valley of the mannequin they use for that face as Steven Spielberg's hands (yes, that was Spielberg's hands) start pulling it off over the sink, blood and flesh and all.

To this day I still cannot watch that movie during the night time. It's affected me that much even as a grown up.

Good one. As a child I was fascinated with the paranormal. This movie terrified me as well.

Not anymore though.

Although I purposely still don't watch anything with ghosts before bedtime.

Excluding current "ghost" movies. They're dumb.
But that's a non issue because I don't watch them anyways somewhat

That's why i mentioned Rosemary's Baby. An Occult psychological grooming paranoia induced nightmare ritual.

That shit is real. It's "scary" because it's true.

"Ghosts" or rather unexplained entities as well, but we still don't know what and how and such. Still..

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Hereditary
Midsommar
The VVitch
The lighthouse (somewhat)

nightmare-slain nightmare-slain

arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF

Dark Star

The Exorcist (original)

Shit still go me fuked up lol. Regan is terrifying.

Stephen King’s IT (1990)

Yeah it’s technically a mini series, but pennywise is creepy af. Made me scared of sewers and clowns for life.

Others:

The grudge
The ring / ringu
Pet Semetary (original, I think also made for Tv)

Recently:

Hereditary
Midsommar
Barbarian
A Serbian film

Last edited:

Dr_Ifto

Children of the Corn. Something about the creepyness of that film still affects me. Ive seen hundreds of horror movies, and nothing gives me the same chills.

I will say ,the film no longer gives me chills and its pretty decent horror movie. But that initial feeling is something im chasing.

I hate sleep paralysis.

Have you ever had a "good" or benign experience with it?
I've had that. It feels like me shadows are moving in on you as well and if you try to go immediately back to sleep, it's like having a nightmare again. It's so freaky. I rarely get it - maybe once a year at most - but why are you it's pretty scary.

Valonquar

Jacob's Ladder. There's a lot of split second things that are creepy as fuck, like when his wife has all black eyes and loads of tiny rat teeth.

Audition. The "feeding" scene and the sounds that come from the duffel bag the dude is in.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Not really a horror movie but this whole series of events in Robocop 2 will always be uncomfortable for me:

And the amazing result:

The "monitor screen face" (excluded from the above clip for some reason) is also such a great sci-fi horror design:

Everything about this is amazing. The way they kill him and the whole procedure to turn him into that thing. Hospital scenes like this really get me. And even though Robocop 2 is not as good as the first movie, Robocain makes up for it big time. He is more impressive and intimidating than ED-209 in the first movie (which is an achievement in itself) and scarier than any other monster/horror villain, sci-fi or not.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

"Whistle and I'll Come To You" an old BBC special based upon the M.R James short story.

To this day, if I'm on a quiet beach and it's starting to hit that mid evening time of day, you can bet I'm going to quicken my pace until I'm back under a roof and four walls.

It's up on YouTube if you fancy a look.

badblue

Went over to friends sleep over birthday party around 11-12 years old. He had cool parents so they rented him Child's Play 2 (on vhs). Gave me nightmares for weeks.
I don't want to sleep in the same room with any largish doll in the room.

For a bonus: as an Adult I watched Crowsnest. Crowsnest Pass is a highway that I've driven on a ton of times in the past and will in the future. I don't stop anywhere along there after that movie. (not that I did before)

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
It was deep star 6 for me. In hindsight, it’s not scary at all but I was around 10 when I saw it and I watched it alone. Scared the crap out of me. I don’t like scary movies at the best of times and this one was it for me.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Went over to friends sleep over birthday party around 11-12 years old. He had cool parents so they rented him Child's Play 2 (on vhs). Gave me nightmares for weeks.
I don't want to sleep in the same room with any largish doll in the room.

For a bonus: as an Adult I watched Crowsnest. Crowsnest Pass is a highway that I've driven on a ton of times in the past and will in the future. I don't stop anywhere along there after that movie. (not that I did before)
That’s a really neat part of Alberta/BC

For whatever reason my Father decided it was a good idea to let me (5years old) rent American Werewolf in London, The Company of Wolves, and Jaws in the same month one summer. So I was afraid of our swimming pool during the day and Werewolves roaming my neighborhood at night. What a time to be alive!

Jaws still has a slight affect on me every time I enter the ocean. Not scared but mindful of what lurks beneath.

ReBurn

Gold Member
None, really. I didn't really have access to horror movies, or any movies, as a kid. I grew up too poor and too rural. An uncle took me to see Star Wars in the initial run when he got back from the army and an aunt took me to see The Rescuers when she visited. Other than those I only saw two movies before I was 13 that weren't edited for TV, so nothing really scary was left in them.

When I was able to go myself I never went to horror movies. The only one I went to that really had an effect on me was Hostel, and that was only because it relied so much on gore instead of suspense that I just hated how gratuitous it was. I went back and watched tons of the ones that released when I was younger and I never got into them. Most are either gore or jump scares, both of which are the clickbait of the genre to me.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
For whatever reason my Father decided it was a good idea to let me (5years old) rent American Werewolf in London, The Company of Wolves, and Jaws in the same month one summer. So I was afraid of our swimming pool during the day and Werewolves roaming my neighborhood at night. What a time to be alive!

Jaws still has a slight affect on me every time I enter the ocean. Not scared but mindful of what lurks beneath.
The Company of Wolves was great. Not sure if it would have scared me to see it as a kid. Oh wait...the transformation post-wedding scene.

I was actually creeped out by the scene in Twilight Zone movie where a young Nancy Cartwright is eaten after being zapped into that trippy cartoon.

I was actually creeped out by the scene in Twilight Zone movie where a young Nancy Cartwright is eaten after being zapped into that trippy cartoon.
That's funny you mentioned that because that movie creeped the hell out of me too. The scariest part is where the girl is watching TV and you find out she has no mouth.

That really freaks me out bad.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
That's funny you mentioned that because that movie creeped the hell out of me too. The scariest part is where the girl is watching TV and you find out she has no mouth.

That really freaks me out bad.
The movie was creepy but the only thing disturbing I learned about it as an adult was about Vic Morrow's decapitation on set.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Yeah I remember hearing about that. But had to do with some kind of helicopter accident.
Spielburg warned Landis' crew not to use blanks in the guns or pyrotechnics for that shot. Many reason but ultimately the heliciptor was among those. In a deleted scene Vic tries crossing a moat with two children. When the pyrotechnics fired off near the hovering heli, one struck the rear tail rotor. This led the helicopter angling down as it crash nearly on top of Morrow and the two children. However, the angle it crash landed caused the top rotary to swing low and decapitate Morrow and the two children before stopping.

Somehow, through editing they managed to patch the episode together but it was a sad and ironic last role for Morrow. Also the two children who shouldn't have been there either.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Again, hoe could I forget !
Thanks.

The Witch and The Lighthouse were great. The Northman isn't horror but still really liked it. Looking forward to Robert Eggers doing Nosferatu.

They were more then great I'd say. Northman was good but Nicole Kidman was a baaaaaaaad choice. I was so looking forward to it but her presence really stopped me being fully immersed. I DON'T GET IT. AT ALL. Must've been a favor thing or such.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Only a few are still scary to me:

The Exocist
The Amityville Horror
Blair Witch Project
Paranormal Activity

....and Human Centipede ....for the grossness of it

tommolb

There was a film I watched when I was about 13, think it was called "The Witch" or something but that doesn't marry up with the plot.
Haunted house type story. Starts off with kids breaking in, getting spooked and chopped in half while trying to climb out a window on the way out.
Family buys house later, during renovation a girl appears at random.
They get priest in who gets killed by a saw blade ripping through his chest.
At the end of the film the devil stalks the house knocking pins into peoples heads while they lay there screaming.
A guy wielding a cross comes to the house and gets some folks out.
No idea what the film might of been.
It scared the sh1t out of me at the time.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Again, hoe could I forget !
Thanks.

They were more then great I'd say. Northman was good but Nicole Kidman was a baaaaaaaad choice. I was so looking forward to it but her presence really stopped me being fully immersed. I DON'T GET IT. AT ALL. Must've been a favor thing or such.
Honestly, her acting was great. I feel like a jerk saying this, but it was her Hollywood facial work that took me out of it. When they took great pains for verisimilitude for the rest of the movie, apparent plastic surgery took me out of it

Top Bottom