• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think of Square-Enixs decision making FF7 Remake episodic?

What do you think of Square-Enixs decision making FF7 Remake episodic?

• Total voters
I'm not a die-hard fan of the original so I guess it's not my place to say. On the one hand, I could understand if a fan felt like Squeenix was milking the remake for all they could. On the other hand, I could understand a superfan being thrilled that their favorite game got not one but three full-length games* for their all-time favorite Final Fantasy title.

*supposedly

Petrae

Filler, annoying checklists of shit to do, inflated time to play, create need for more “episodes” to continue siphoning that nostalgia cash from fanpeople. Final Fantasy stories shouldn’t require hundreds of hours to play, not respecting the player’s time or money.

This is modern video gaming, AAAA-style.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I don’t like it. I’d rather they just kept things closer to the original and got the game out faster. Keeping a world map would make things easier to build.

It wouldn’t be that bad but I am assuming this is putting FF16 further away. I’d rather play a new game instead of them focusing on this for 10 years.

brian0057

Banned
Why sell a single game for $60 when you can chop it up into several portions and sell each of them for $15?

Last edited:
Well, we've known about it for a while now. I'm assuming the complete game will be comprised of no more than three parts and that the decision to separate them was so that fans would be able to play the game sooner, right?

And to be fair, I would rather have a lot to do, more depth to the game world and story which is what it sounds like they were going for.

It wouldn’t be that bad but I am assuming this is putting FF16 further away. I’d rather play a new game instead of them focusing on this for 10 years.
I don't think this is going to delay development for Final Fantasy XVI. There are like eight or so business divisions within Square Enix all with different teams and projects. I assume they're planning to announce Final Fantasy XVI next year during E3 or TGS.

Last edited:

Fbh

It's the one thing still making me doubt how good this will be.

The parts that are remade look fantastic but if they are going to take this 5 hours segment and turn it into a full length RPG they will have to add a ton of new content, and that's what I'm still not sold on. Will the pacing be good? Will the new content expand the world in an interesting way or feel like padding? Will all the new story bits be as abysmal as the plot and writing in literally everything Nomura has been in charge of during his entire career? Is the studio that has been unable to tell a good story for a single player final fantasy game for at least the past 10 years going to ruin the plot of VII by adding dozens or hundreds of hours of new content? Are the mostly terrible sidequests in FFXV any indication of the sort of "content" we can expect to stretch 5 hours into 30?

Then there's the lack of planning with them saying they aren't even sure how many parts it will be, sounds like a "we'll make things up as we go" sort of deal which usually sucks. They might be releasing remake episodes for the next 20 years, or at some point it just stops making as much money and they never finish the full story.

Who said that ep. 1 is gonna be 30 hours or so?

Kitasse himself has said that each part will have about the same amount of content as a mainline entry in the franchise. Which would imply it's going to be at least around 30 hours

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'll decide when I play the full game. So far, the playable demo was awesome, and I can't wait to try the whole thing.

Ethereals

Neo Member
It ensures they pad out the story with garbage so even if you wait until all games are released you still have all the "naruto" tier filler garbage
they added into the parts.
Either way the games will be good and sell well enough but it wont have the same effect as ff7 release not even close exactly because of splitting it up and fucking up the story.

Last edited:
It's probably for the best, if it weren't for the episodic nature of the game, SE even admitted the Remake wouldn't have been made, PERIOD.

SE have stated MULTIPLE times a game this vast wouldn't been possible with current technology WITHOUT CUT CONTENT! And I believe them, the original was 70-80 hours long.

They never intended to make a remake in the first place, but after so many FAN requests they finally cave in, but can you imagine the OUTRAGE if there was cut content? There's no middle ground, you can't please everyone and fans are never happy anyways.

They made the right choice and EXPANDED the game, it's just going to take longer to complete, but the patience will be rewarded with double if not triple the length of the original when all said is done.

This one fan is happy at least, they get two (y) (y) from me!

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’ll buy, play it, and remember the times I spent playing the original years ago. The game was a huge deal to me and people I knew back when it was released. I think it’s a bit shitty, but I’m not producing the game.

I’m a bit upset that it’s taking so long. I’ve kept up with the hype since the tech demo. Now it’s an actual game. I honestly do not want another remake after this. Not that I’m against it, but I don’t like this decade long wait for an episodic game. It’s going to take forever to get to the final battle.

Ill be there day 1 in March, but that feeling of it being incomplete really sucks.

Last edited:

Bigrx1

Banned
I'm not at all interested in playing an entire game in Midgar. I'll wait till the entire series of games is done before I look into whether I want to play through them all or not, FFVII wasn't one of my faves anyway I liked IV and X mostly.

Dada55000

Cutting up is meh, since the game is expanded to, from a purely content sense, into a 'full' game.

Buuut, it's taking a shorter section and padding it out. Could very well end up being the worst case of "brevity is the soul of anime writing for babbies" in games ever.

Ryu Kaiba

It's probably for the best, if it weren't for the episodic nature of the game, SE even admitted the Remake wouldn't have been made, PERIOD.

SE have stated MULTIPLE times a game this vast wouldn't been possible with current technology WITHOUT CUT CONTENT! And I believe them, the original was 70-80 hours long.

They never intended to make a remake in the first place, but after so many FAN requests they finally cave in, but can you imagine the OUTRAGE if there was cut content? There's no middle ground, you can't please everyone and fans are never happy anyways.

They made the right choice and EXPANDED the game, it's just going to take longer to complete, but the patience will be rewarded with double if not triple the length of the original when all said is done.

This one fan is happy at least, they get two (y) (y) from me!
This so much! I saw this coming years before they even announced it. People who are pissy because the games are being done episodically don't remember how huge that game was! All the locales you visit, all the events that take place. Remaking ALLL OF THAT.. IN MODERN FIDELITY!! was going to take forever. I used to tell my friends a long time ago that the only way they would get this done properly is if they chopped it into parts.

Last edited:

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Me, personally... i don't think FF7 needed any tyoe of remake.

If a remake was ordered, i think they should've went with high resolution static backgrounds and 3d models. No need for a full 3d that'll take years to make with multiple sequels..

FF7 is one of the greatest games ive played. Not really looking forward to this so called remake.

Bolivar687

Banned
The combat looks like Monster Hunter, so this is a hard pass no matter how they chop it up. Also OP goes 100x harder than the first post.

PanzerAzel

I’m open to the idea if executed right, but it don’t change the fact that getting rid of the turn based combat was a shit move that did nothing so well as to deflate my hype in an instant.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm not fan of it but I'm hoping just like .hack series it wont take long to bring each volume.

93xfan

Banned
I’m so very pleased by it being multiple games. They never would’ve nor could’ve added as much to the game and been so detail oriented if they released it as one game.

FF7 was my favorite game for years and I’m thrilled about this upcoming multi part remake.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I have zero trust in modern square so until i play the game, this episodic stuff sound like greedy money grab move for me.

And ff7 in my second favourite game ever...

Nickolaidas

One of my favorite games ever with one of my favorite cast ever is getting expanded so that I'll have much more content to enjoy with cutscenes and character development with said characters in gorgeous 4K gameplay with an amazing battle action system.

So yeah, I'm 200% on board and fuck the haters. Fuck them raw and fuck them hard. This is a game I was waiting for years and never thought I would get. Heck it is basically becoming a SERIES now. They can bloat it as much as they like as long as the content is solid and the bloat is enjoyable.

I can sort of understand the decision, even if it is annoying as hell.

Back in the day, FF7 was one of the most expensive video games ever made. Adjusting for inflation, it cost between $125M - $226M. That's a lot of money! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

A remake will cost a lot more, due to the advances in technology (voice acting, motion capture, 4K texture, sound, music, etc.). The risk of remaking the entire game and releasing it must've looked far too great if it bombed.

Hard place and rock now: do you wait until the game is fully complete or buy the episodes as they are released? With the former, you get the complete experience. With the latter, you're technically feeding back positively to the developers and making it look profitable to continue working on the game (and maybe even speed up the process).

🤔

Hard place and rock now: do you wait until the game is fully complete or buy the episodes as they are released? With the former, you get the complete experience. With the latter, you're technically feeding back positively to the developers and making it look profitable to continue working on the game (and maybe even speed up the process).

True fans will go with the latter, supporting the game till the end. All the pessimistic naysayers who care less whether the game fails or succeed will wait for the former.

Top Bottom