• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think of Square-Enixs decision making FF7 Remake episodic?

What do you think of Square-Enixs decision making FF7 Remake episodic?

• Total voters

Nickolaidas

I don't understand why it has to be this way. I would preferred them cancelled it to work on the next mainline entry. Move on instead of clinging to your former glory.
Remakes have been a thing since forever. In gaming, movies, anything.

It's a solid concept. Remake something beloved with todays standards. Sometimes it surpasses the original; sometimes it doesn't.

I think this will be an amazing ff game.

Carna

Banned
Remakes have been a thing since forever. In gaming, movies, anything.

It's a solid concept. Remake something beloved with todays standards. Sometimes it surpasses the original; sometimes it doesn't.

I think this will be an amazing ff game.

My problem with this remake, is they took too long to make it. And now we have to wait for years for episodic content.

the Trails of Mana remake looks more promising than this.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Shit move because of cost.

How much is it going to cost in total? £50 for Midgar, how many parts is it going to be?

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
I would really like anyone saying this game is gonna be 30 hours long to somehow explain how we'd get that many hours of content between the sector 7 reactor and leaving midgar in a 3rd person action game.

With the change to the battle system, Square made it clear that old FF7 fans like me are not the target demographic for this remake. It's for a new audience through and through. People who like their games in bits and think turn based combat is something that can go out of date. To those people, enjoy.

With the change to the battle system, Square made it clear that old FF7 fans like me are not the target demographic for this remake. It's for a new audience through and through. People who like their games in bits and think turn based combat is something that can go out of date. To those people, enjoy.

Not true at all, FF7 is still my favorite game of all time, yet I'm still looking forward to the Remake. How do you explain that?

Ikutachi

My ideal FFVII remake is to use the look of the original's FMVs brought to life to be in a playable state. That takes less resources to make.

6e1ecfw.gif

Last edited:

kevin_trinh

I don't know much about game development, but should the remake usually take less time to make compare to the original? Like you already have the story, assets, design, ect...All that left is make it with current gen graphic, choose the gameplay style you think fit and what more? What the heck took them 5 years to make just 20% of the game compare to the original one?

ghairat

I think it is a good idea for this kind of game. I'm trying to see it the same way as I see legend of heroes trails of cold steel with its "episodic format". FFVII is a big game and the dev shouldn't in any way rush the development

Nullien

Neo Member
I kinda like the episodic format, but I'm afraid it will take too long. First episode should be the same as the first original CD, imo

Only Midgar on the first one makes me think that they will add too much plot, and that might not end well...

I will enjoy it anyway, though!

TheContact

While I'm not happy the game is being released in episodes, I feel like the game would not have come out at all if it were not done this way, and I'd rather have FF7 remake in multiple parts than no FF7 remake at all. It is going to suck paying like $360 or so for all the episodes, but at least with different developments they can improve on some things that people were critical of in past episodes. Like I'm hoping they have some kind of fully turn based option, not a hybrid ATB.

cireza

The fact that it is developed as episodes means that there is no vision as a whole, which takes off quite a lot for a RPG. Each episode is probably going to be pretty linear, limited in areas available, no world map to explore etc... And how are they going to handle stats transfer to the next episode ? I fear that you will lose the feeling of building something along an entire adventure.

This sounds like a complicated choice overall.

Gun Animal

I'd feel a lot better about it if SE had public tentative release dates for the second and third titles, Disney style. I'd like to know how long I'm gonna be waiting to finish the trilogy. Of course, in all likelihood, the second and third titles will not be released on PS4, and the first will surely be rereleased on PS5, so a full release schedule would only make people realize that waiting is the best option.

FF7 Is this decade's Half Life 2 Episodic content. The final chapter will suddenly be avoided like the plague. Nobody will talk about it. Squeenix will say "These things...they take time."

aADrnK9_460s.jpg

ManaByte

Gold Member
I think it's real shady how the box doesn't mention that it's part 1 of three on the cover. There are people who won't know it's episodic buying it and then getting mad that the game is just Midgar.

Reactions: Fbh
So long as the side quests are there, I think it could work... but will we be able to keep our levels/equipment between episodes? backtrack as we please (limited in similar ways as the original one was obviously) etc.?

Assuming it's at most three episodes, preferably two.

Reactions: Fbh

Bkdk

I think SE is planning to call the other parts of the FF7 remake a numbered sequel of the FF series, with some new and returning characters and quite a lot of tweaked story content plus some new locations, mechanics and open world. Wouldn’t be surprised that if they add in new storyline origins and hint at many new content to the FF7 universe. They did say they will dedicate recourses to this just like a new FF sequel.

Fbh

I would really like anyone saying this game is gonna be 30 hours long to somehow explain how we'd get that many hours of content between the sector 7 reactor and leaving midgar in a 3rd person action game.

By greatly expanding the entire segment.
Make every dungeon bigger/longer, have new dungeons/areas/bosses, make a much larger part of Midgar accessible to the player and turn it into a big explorable city instead of a bunch of small interconnected areas, greatly expand the amount of sidequests and side content, add whole new story elements that weren't in the original like those ghost-like creatures they have shown in the trailers or the new encounter with Sephiroth, etc, etc.

Again, for the better or worse this isn't a 1:1 remake with updated graphics. It's basically a whole franchise of AAA RPG's based on the original game

I don't think they will release years from each other. I am estimating around a 1-1.5 year window between each "episode". They have the engine, they more than likely have most of the story planned out already, now it is just putting the pieces together and fixing whatever isn't loved inbetween episodes (such as tightening up any issues with spells, balancing, etc).

I guess only time will tell.
But if they do indeed plan on making every part the size of a full mainline entry while maintaining the high production values they have shown so far then the only realistic way I see the next episode releasing in 1 year is if they pullet a Ubisoft or Activision and have multiple large teams working in parallel

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
It would have been so much easier to just remaster the original with new character models and backgrounds (With some QOL changes).

Actually, I think I would have prefered that over a full remake.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
It would have been so much easier to just remaster the original with new character models and backgrounds (With some QOL changes).

Actually, I think I would have prefered that over a full remake.
LOL "just remake all the character models and all the environments" that is a full remake!

i don't mind it. would rather get a series delivered in episodic nature than have to wait a whole console generation for the final thing. thing is, this has been decided on for years now. people need to accept it as reality at this point.

as for the question "do you wait for the game to be fully complete?" well as soon as they release a game, it will be complete in itself. each episode will be stand alone. how is this hard to comprehend? if you need "the full story" as seen in the original game, you can play it. it has been out for 20+ years.

if you are saying "I will wait til the full game is done" then LOL i don't believe you because you will be right there in the OT thread for the first episode complaining just like you haven't been paying attention.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
LOL "just remake all the character models and all the environments" that is a full remake!

Not really. It's just a graphical upgrade. Modders have been doing these things for years.

The backgrounds are static images. It would have taken a tiny fraction of the time to produce.

Daymos

It's a terrible move. I believe they wanted this thing to be quickly made by a 3rd party and slapped out in $20 installments every 6 months or so, but because the quality was so bad they realized they were shooting themselves in the head and decided to do it 'right'.. but by that time they couldn't use what had already been started without it still being episodic.

Thus it's just another Square/Enix fumble like 3 final fantasy 13 games and final fantasy 15 being in development for 10 years. They are idiots. Plain and simple.

Last edited:

Dunki

I think it is a great Idea to make it the Star wars of Video games. Release 3 or 4 games with like 1 or 2 years between it. Only Problem I see is that this first gen will be on the Ps4 while others will be on next gen consoles. They should have made a cut and only released it on PS5/ next gen. A huge leap in Graphic will just cause more prolems during the development.

Also I am someone who did not like FFVII after Disc 1 but I am really excited to see how they will add content without leaving out the most memorable scenes in such a Society which gets offended by the air some people breath. Will be intersting to see how they handle stuff like Cloud beating areith, Cid;s story, the cross dressing, the cloud rape part etc.

StormCell

My worthless opinion as someone who is a big fan of FFVI and FFVII: they had a simple objective with some risk involved, and there were lots of low-hanging fruit ways to show the original a lot of love. There were off-the-shelf solutions for even bringing the original art into HD and making it pop again (just like it did in 1997).

But this isn't the Squeenix way, I guess. They've blown up the original objective, which was remake FFVII, and the new objective is recreate FFVII. Whole new game. Whole different engine. Not the same game you played in 1997 at all. The story you thought you knew? Prepare for 25 hours of stuff you never even imagined let alone wanted. The section of the game you realized was just the intro to your favorite jRPG? It's no mere intro now. It IS the game they're currently making.

This could have been so much easier. Unpaid amateurs are doing better than these guys.

Enjay

Banned
By greatly expanding the entire segment.
Make every dungeon bigger/longer, have new dungeons/areas/bosses, make a much larger part of Midgar accessible to the player and turn it into a big explorable city instead of a bunch of small interconnected areas, greatly expand the amount of sidequests and side content, add whole new story elements that weren't in the original like those ghost-like creatures they have shown in the trailers or the new encounter with Sephiroth, etc, etc.

Again, for the better or worse this isn't a 1:1 remake with updated graphics. It's basically a whole franchise of AAA RPG's based on.
You have way too much faith in square enix's work ethic.

Fbh

You have way too much faith in square enix's work ethic.

I really don't.

Said it in an earlier post, the biggest reason I'm not fully sold on this is because I don't know if all the added content will be good, and based on who is making the game I worry that it won't. I do think they'll make dungeons longer but I don't know if they'll be enjoyable or be too long, tedious, repetitive, etc. I do think we'll be able to explore a lot more of the city but I don't know if there's going to be anything fun to do in it or if it's going to be like Altissia in FFXV (nice looking but boring). I know as a fact they'll expand on the story with new events and characters (because the trailers have shown it) but I don't know if any of the added story will be good (and with Nomura in charge it's basically guaranteed to be bad). etc.

I don't think expanding Midgar and turning a 5 hours segment into a 30 hours one is too hard. What I don't know is if they'll be able to do so in a way that's fun and engaging.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Care to elaborate on that great counterpoint?

Are you suggesting that since the PS1 game up to leaving Midgar was about 5 hours, that this game will have that same amount of content?

It's been discussed a million times already.

Basically this:
The parts that are remade look fantastic but if they are going to take this 5 hours segment and turn it into a full length RPG they will have to add a ton of new content, and that's what I'm still not sold on. Will the pacing be good? Will the new content expand the world in an interesting way or feel like padding? Will all the new story bits be as abysmal as the plot and writing in literally everything Nomura has been in charge of during his entire career? Is the studio that has been unable to tell a good story for a single player final fantasy game for at least the past 10 years going to ruin the plot of VII by adding dozens or hundreds of hours of new content? Are the mostly terrible sidequests in FFXV any indication of the sort of "content" we can expect to stretch 5 hours into 30?

"retells the overall story in a new, much in-depth manner" my ass, it's just milking the cow dry and writing bullshit ("the guardians of fate" sounds like classic nomura shit).

Last edited:

ROMhack

Don't really mind. It looks overblown but Final Fantasy has been that way for a while and at least this time they've got a good foundation (ie story/characters/plot).

I think the worst thing might be that they'll put so much into the Midgar section and neglect the rest, therefore making the first episode look really different when it's all done.

Still looks like a concept game in many ways.

Last edited:
Midgar is like 5 hours at best, right?

So if they continue that trend... math was never my strong subject, but... wouldn't that be like $480?

At the very least, they will "need" to make 4 of these $60 "episodes," which in itself is ridiculous.

Vawn

Banned
Midgar is like 5 hours at best, right?

So if they continue that trend... math was never my strong subject, but... wouldn't that be like $480?

At the very least, they will "need" to make 4 of these $60 "episodes," which in itself is ridiculous.

I am pretty sure the plan is three games.

Barakov

Definitely not a fan of it. I can understand since the scope of the game seemed to have changed quite a bit(Midgar being bigger and denser etc.). I think most people would've been fine with a 1:1 remake with better graphics.

Still, I have hope this will turn out good. What I don't have hope in is Nomura and co. getting this out in a timely manner.

Top Bottom