• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think of Square-Enixs decision making FF7 Remake episodic?

What do you think of Square-Enixs decision making FF7 Remake episodic?

• Total voters

Pallas

It wasn’t ideal for me but I’m starting to grow on it some of they can keep delivering with each episode. My only fear is that it’ll take forever for part 2 to release.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
It's a shit move for sure that is being influenced by their greed to (once again) capitalize on FFVII's popular status as much as possible.

But what they have shown so far looks really good so i'm kinda torn about it. I will buy the game but i will definitely wait some time.If not for the complete version then at least for the PS5 version of the first part.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
QKfYfkQ.png

That is still being way too optimistic

brian0057

Banned
shhh, gotta hate squareenix whatever they do mate.
Hmmm, of course. Just like how people hated Capcom when they made the Resident Evil 2 remake episodic.
Honestly, I couldn't care less what Squeenix does with Final Fantasy. I'm exponentially more pissed off for what they did to Deus Ex.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

"So, what do you think of the FF remake? It's going to be a total success, yes?"
"Totally, sir. Every 40yo nerd will purchase one. It's going to print money like crazy."
"I have an idea, though. What about... if instead of having to buy one game... they have to buy 5 of them?"
"You're a goddamn genius, Larry."
And I'm totally fine with that, if it means quality content. :messenger_ok:

Ar¢tos

One episode at the end of each gen, so in about 21-25 years, it will be complete.
With FF XVI trailer doing nothing for me and FFV being a bizarre mess, I think I'm done with Final Fantasies.

Airola

One of the best things the original had was the feeling when you got to the world map for the first time.

By the way, has it been confirmed the Remake will have a world map in the next episodes?

Who said that ep. 1 is gonna be 30 hours or so?

It's 5 hours of gameplay and 25 hours of cinematics.

lyan

Hmmm, of course. Just like how people hated Capcom when they made the Resident Evil 2 remake episodic.
Honestly, I couldn't care less what Squeenix does with Final Fantasy. I'm exponentially more pissed off for what they did to Deus Ex.
if we are straying off the whatabout path, this is like how capcom get hated for providing an extra, free, option to acquire post-launch content through playing the game, because it is SFV; because it is squareenix.

Fbh

Oh, uhm... that... that's worse than I thought.
Damn, can you imagine paying $60 for each episode of The Walking Dead?
Da fuck?

If every episode from The Walking Dead was 30 hours long with AAA production values? Yes.

It's pointless to look at this as one game being split into multiple parts. They are basically taking the world and story of FFVII as a base and turning it into a franchise composed of multiple full sized RPG's. If you want to compare it to something then comparing it to Mass Effect 1-3 or Final Fantasy XIII 1-3 would be more accurate than comparing it to a season of the walking dead

Each "episode" will have content comparable to a mainline final fantasy entry and they'll most likely release years apart from each other.

Last edited:

plushyp

I used to tell my friends a long time ago that the only way they would get this done properly is if they chopped it into parts.
So.... you're the one to blame for all this.

giphy.gif

But seriously, it would have been too expensive to ship in one go so I kind of see wher SE is coming from.

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

I can see them trying to put the whole FF7 story inside the remake which would be pretty damn hard to do on 1 disc or at 1 time knowing square if we didn't get it like we are now we wouldn't get the game till 2027.

johntown

Banned
I would have preferred the original game just made to look modern.

I’m not against the game but not a fan of it being episodic. Still plan on buying day 1 or for PS5 since I have a base PS4.

Gargus

Banned
Exactly. This isn't the PS1 game with new graphics. It's a brand new game that retells the overall story in a new, much in-depth manner.

But look at how beloved ff7 is right now and how much people loved the story and characters as it already is. It begs to question does it really need more and will more make it better?

Vawn

Banned
But look at how beloved ff7 is right now and how much people loved the story and characters as it already is. It begs to question does it really need more and will more make it better?

That's a legit question. Maybe they should have done a Link's Awakening remake, where it's almost 1 to 1 with just new graphics.

My only point is to people implying they are making only a third of a game. It's still a full game. Whether you like it or not, nothing about what we've seen suggests that SE is taking a cheap or low effort stab at these games. If anything, they're doing too much.

I wouldn't mind it being 3-4 max episodes, if it weren't for the fact that they've frontloaded Midgar so much that they're either screwing up the pacing or we're getting a shit ton of episodes. Midgar already had a lot of aspects to it in the original game and most of it was segregated, due to how the plate and slum system worked. Spending a ridiculous amount of time in Midgar thus makes very little sense. More so considering that all the towns that could actually need some expansion (since they're open areas, thus being far more representative of scale, while also being part of the journey through the world) in the world. It's looking more like 5-6 episodes (unless they've only frontloaded Midgar, a terrible decision btw), which is just way too much. Honestly 3 episodes should've been the goal, functioning as a trilogy.

Nickolaidas

I wouldn't mind it being 3-4 max episodes, if it weren't for the fact that they've frontloaded Midgar so much that they're either screwing up the pacing or we're getting a shit ton of episodes. Midgar already had a lot of aspects to it in the original game and most of it was segregated, due to how the plate and slum system worked. Spending a ridiculous amount of time in Midgar thus makes very little sense. More so considering that all the towns that could actually need some expansion (since they're open areas, thus being far more representative of scale, while also being part of the journey through the world) in the world. It's looking more like 5-6 episodes (unless they've only frontloaded Midgar, a terrible decision btw), which is just way too much. Honestly 3 episodes should've been the goal, functioning as a trilogy.
You're worried that each city is going to be a full-fledged game? If that is so, I doubt it.

I mean, there wasn't a single location in FFVII that was as large and content-filled as Midgar, was it? Though I can definitely see part II not giving you access to the entire world. They will probably pull a FFXV and have some locations cut off until later. While in FFXV the later was a later part in the main game, in FFVII later will probably mean the next chapter/entry/game/episode/whatever.

final_fantasy_7_remake-02.jpg

Just play the modded PC version, your wish is now granted, let all your buddies know, you're welcome. Now if you don't mind, the rest of us want better deserve better, nothing wrong with the original, but we're expecting something new and fresh, and SE is delivering that for all of us fans.

You're worried that each city is going to be a full-fledged game? If that is so, I doubt it.

I mean, there wasn't a single location in FFVII that was as large and content-filled as Midgar, was it? Though I can definitely see part II not giving you access to the entire world. They will probably pull a FFXV and have some locations cut off until later. While in FFXV the later was a later part in the main game, in FFVII later will probably mean the next chapter/entry/game/episode/whatever.

I'm not worried that each city is going to be a full-fledged game, but that for scaling to work, it would mean more of each location along your travel. While Midgar is the biggest city and the place you spend the most time, it is still just a part of a city that's more or less split up into sectors with slums and plate levels, whereupon you have access only to parts of it.
Events inside Midgar: Mission reactor section 1, small meeting Aeris in the plaza of sector 8 and running away from soldiers along the streets, sector 7 meet-up, mission for reactor 5, then sector 5 slums with Aeris, then sector 6 ending with Don Corneo, sector 7 again just to get to the reactor, then climbing up Shinra Tower, following the bike ride sequence to exit Midgar. It has a really nice pace, not trying to make you do too much and sementing mostly story beats and motivations. Because there's a whole world on the outside.

Since Midgar would never be fully recreated and it is the opening chapter, it makes no sense to spend a whole game on it, because it frontloads the game heavily. For a game spanning continents, it makes it even more ridiculous. Unlike Midgar a lot of other places are basically fully visitable, meaning they'll have to be fully represented. More so, all of those places have small events/sidequests to them that the player is supposed to find variation in.
By frontloading Midgar this much they'll either disappoint or have to equally flesh out the rest of the game.

People spend like 3-5 hours in Midgar. Since Midgar in the remake will have as much content as a full-fledged FF game, that means at least 30 hours dragged out from those 3-5 hours. That's pretty ridiculous. Midgar is what, like 20-25% of Disc 1? Making a whole game about that? Get ready for front load deluxe or 7 episodes (hey, FF _7_).

Last edited:

mortal

I understand their justification, but I still dislike this approach.

Regardless, they still will end up taking all of next gen to release all of the parts, All of this time just to retell more or less an already very familiar story. We all know they're also taking another opportunity to milk the hell out of FF VII nostalgia, let's not kid ourselves. I'd rather all of this creative energy and resources be invested into creating new mainline Final Fantasy entries. I do wonder if Square Enix going to be doing this same dance every console gen for FFVI, FFVIII, or FFIX remakes?

I can understand the merit in recreating something old with the means of current tech and fresh new eyes; so I'm not trying to just dismiss the work that's been put into FFVII Remake, as it is some amazing work. Although to me, Square as a dev is more interested in navel gazing, trying to recreate their glory days, instead of exploring the fringe and pushing concepts and the genre forward. This is the reason I'm falling out of love with the Final Fantasy series. There's no more mystery and discovery with these games. Everything has become too familiar.

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
If you look at something like Crash or CTR or Medievil and look at how long those relatively small, simple games took to remake then the task of remaking VII with the level of visuals people wanted is just insane so for me it’s understandable why Square are releasing it in episodes while greatly expanding the story and content of the game.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It's probably for the best, if it weren't for the episodic nature of the game, SE even admitted the Remake wouldn't have been made, PERIOD.

SE have stated MULTIPLE times a game this vast wouldn't been possible with current technology WITHOUT CUT CONTENT! And I believe them, the original was 70-80 hours long.

They never intended to make a remake in the first place, but after so many FAN requests they finally cave in, but can you imagine the OUTRAGE if there was cut content? There's no middle ground, you can't please everyone and fans are never happy anyways.

They made the right choice and EXPANDED the game, it's just going to take longer to complete, but the patience will be rewarded with double if not triple the length of the original when all said is done.

This one fan is happy at least, they get two (y) (y) from me!

...What? The original was barely 40 hours from start to finish. . 70-80 hours for a 100% run.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
One episode at the end of each gen, so in about 21-25 years, it will be complete.
With FF XVI trailer doing nothing for me and FFV being a bizarre mess, I think I'm done with Final Fantasies.

There is no such thing as a Final Fantasy XVI trailer. Nothing has been shown from the game outside of a vague statements that it will be in development because of course it will be. Also FFV released back in '92. I assume you mean FFXV?

I'm not worried that each city is going to be a full-fledged game, but that for scaling to work, it would mean more of each location along your travel. While Midgar is the biggest city and the place you spend the most time, it is still just a part of a city that's more or less split up into sectors with slums and plate levels, whereupon you have access only to parts of it.
Events inside Midgar: Mission reactor section 1, small meeting Aeris in the plaza of sector 8 and running away from soldiers along the streets, sector 7 meet-up, mission for reactor 5, then sector 5 slums with Aeris, then sector 6 ending with Don Corneo, sector 7 again just to get to the reactor, then climbing up Shinra Tower, following the bike ride sequence to exit Midgar. It has a really nice pace, not trying to make you do too much and sementing mostly story beats and motivations. Because there's a whole world on the outside.

Since Midgar would never be fully recreated and it is the opening chapter, it makes no sense to spend a whole game on it, because it frontloads the game heavily. For a game spanning continents, it makes it even more ridiculous. Unlike Midgar a lot of other places are basically fully visitable, meaning they'll have to be fully represented. More so, all of those places have small events/sidequests to them that the player is supposed to find variation in.
By frontloading Midgar this much they'll either disappoint or have to equally flesh out the rest of the game.

People spend like 3-5 hours in Midgar. Since Midgar in the remake will have as much content as a full-fledged FF game, that means at least 30 hours dragged out from those 3-5 hours. That's pretty ridiculous. Midgar is what, like 20-25% of Disc 1? Making a whole game about that? Get ready for front load deluxe or 7 episodes (hey, FF _7_).

There is a ton they could go into with Midgar. Going more in-depth with the Turks as an example and how that organization is run (basically bringing Before Crisis into the main story). Maybe even have references or sidequests that relate back to Deepground and the World Regensis Organization. Fleshing out the SOLDIER and various other groups that occupy, live in, and control Midgar.

If every episode from The Walking Dead was 30 hours long with AAA production values? Yes.

It's pointless to look at this as one game being split into multiple parts. They are basically taking the world and story of FFVII as a base and turning it into a franchise composed of multiple full sized RPG's. If you want to compare it to something then comparing it to Mass Effect 1-3 or Final Fantasy XIII 1-3 would be more accurate than comparing it to a season of the walking dead

Each "episode" will have content comparable to a mainline final fantasy entry and they'll most likely release years apart from each other.

I don't think they will release years from each other. I am estimating around a 1-1.5 year window between each "episode". They have the engine, they more than likely have most of the story planned out already, now it is just putting the pieces together and fixing whatever isn't loved inbetween episodes (such as tightening up any issues with spells, balancing, etc).

Neff

It's not ideal, but it's necessary. I've said for years that it's only way to do it. People easily forget just how much content the game has, and how fast it moves. Incidental, one-off rooms are packed with unique assets, and there's hundreds of them.

I'm more concerned about the gameplay changes myself, but I still think it'll be a good game regardless.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I guess if you rush through it sure. FF7 is my favorite game though, so I 100% complete every play through.

Rushing would be around 20-25 hours. Average run is about 40. Most people don't go for 100% runs in RPGs and they are not a great quantifier of length, given much of that time is literal grinding.

The people in here expecting a high quality product are going to get burned hard and it's going to rule if you're expecting a "high quality" product.

FF XV was actually good but this board thinks it's bad though, so...

Rushing would be around 20-25 hours. Average run is about 40. Most people don't go for 100% runs in RPGs and they are not a great quantifier of length, given much of that time is literal grinding.

Anyway my point there's 70-80 hours worth of content, no need to drag this out of context.

Last edited:
There is a ton they could go into with Midgar. Going more in-depth with the Turks as an example and how that organization is run (basically bringing Before Crisis into the main story). Maybe even have references or sidequests that relate back to Deepground and the World Regensis Organization. Fleshing out the SOLDIER and various other groups that occupy, live in, and control Midgar.

There's "a lot" that they can go into anywhere. But Midgar is merely the opening chapter of the journey. You're literally meeting Turks throughout the journey. Going too in depth at Midgar at the start makes absolutely no sense and destroys the mystique that you're left with when it comes to the organization.
As I've said, it's way too frontloaded, destroying the incredibly nice pacing the original game had, where it funnels you nicely along the exposition and introductions of characters, with a few stops to allow for exploration, to get the main plot working post-Midgar (going after Sephiroth). A whole game on the other hand? At that point it's just "Midgar - The Game". Anything you add too much of would slow the flow down or it would front load everything unnecessarily. Midgar is just the start, the world is filled with locations that more so would have opportunities to be expanded a lot. If we're following the same kind of treatment throughout the whole rest of the game, then it'll be FF 7 Episodes. No one has the patience and no game has the flow to go along with that.

johntown

Banned

Just play the modded PC version, your wish is now granted, let all your buddies know, you're welcome. Now if you don't mind, the rest of us want better deserve better, nothing wrong with the original, but we're expecting something new and fresh, and SE is delivering that for all of us fans.
Wow........ you do a lot of assuming and reading way too much into my post. Let me correct you.

I have already played the modded version multiple times and if you actually read my ENTIRE post you would see I plan on buying the new game because I LIKE it. This thread is about what ppl think about the game being episodic which is what I don't prefer. For some reason you think I don't want the game or don't like the game?? You also seem to think that I am not a fan?

You post would have been a lot better if you said just play the modded PC version but for some reason you took it step further and started assuming things about me that are not true and pulling stuff out of your ass.

Wow........ you do a lot of assuming and reading way too much into my post. Let me correct you.

I have already played the modded version multiple times and if you actually read my ENTIRE post you would see I plan on buying the new game because I LIKE it. This thread is about what ppl think about the game being episodic which is what I don't prefer. For some reason you think I don't want the game or don't like the game?? You also seem to think that I am not a fan?

You post would have been a lot better if you said just play the modded PC version but for some reason you took it step further and started assuming things about me that are not true and pulling stuff out of your ass.

There's no assuming in my post, which cannot be said about your current post. You stated you "preferred the original game just made to look modern." There's not much room for assumption there, so if anyone is pulling stuff out of their ass it's you.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
There's no assuming in my post, which cannot be said about your current post. You stated you "preferred the original game just made to look modern." There's not much room for assumption there, so if anyone is pulling stuff out of their asses it's you.
Okay snowflake you are doing it again. Please snowflake tell me what I am assuming in my post?

I can see you have a hard time understanding simple things so I will make this clearer for you so hopefully you can understand.

1. Now if you don't mind, the rest of us want better deserve better. - When you say the rest of us that means you are purposefully excluding me meaning that I don't want something better which is not true ( in other words out of your ass)

2. SE is delivering that for all of us fans. - this states that I somehow am not a fan (again another statement from your ass)

3. What exactly am I pulling out of my ass? (please elaborate) Seems like you are unable to have a rebuttable that uses your brain and you are just repeating what I am saying to you.

3. Still plan on buying day 1 or for PS5 since I have a base PS4 - this is from my original post which you either were unable to read or could not understand. (buying day 1 seems like someone who is a fan and wants to play the game).

I admit I prefer the game to just look more modern but that does not mean I don't like the remake or that I am not as much of a fan as you are. Just don't cherry pick from ppls posts and then insult them.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Okay snowflake you are doing it again. Please snowflake tell me what I am assuming in my post?

I can see you have a hard time understanding simple things so I will make this clearer for you so hopefully you can understand.

1. Now if you don't mind, the rest of us want better deserve better. - When you say the rest of us that means you are purposefully excluding me meaning that I don't want something better which is not true ( in other words out of your ass)

2. SE is delivering that for all of us fans. - this states that I somehow am not a fan (again another statement from your ass)

3. What exactly am I pulling out of my ass? (please elaborate) Seems like you are unable to have a rebuttable that uses your brain and you are just repeating what I am saying to you.

3. Still plan on buying day 1 or for PS5 since I have a base PS4 - this is from my original post which you either were unable to read or could not understand. (buying day 1 seems like someone who is a fan and wants to play the game).

I admit I prefer the game to just look more modern but that does not mean I don't like the remake or that I am not as much of a fan as you are. Just don't cherry pick from ppls posts and then insult them.

Calm down with the childish name calling, mate. This was literally your post:

I’m not against the game but not a fan of it being episodic. Still plan on buying day 1 or for PS5 since I have a base PS4.

There is only so much to go by that info. Don't get in a tizzy when people suggest a modded version of FF7 that is literally what you said you prefer: The original game in a modern look.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Shitty move in my opinion because they took five years since it was announced at E3 2015 for only episode one so does that mean that each episode will be every five years???

Never been a fan of FFVII or the series in general but I must admit that I am interested in the Remake but will wait to see if/when the entire game is completed and released.

Nickolaidas

Shitty move in my opinion because they took five years since it was announced at E3 2015 for only episode one so does that mean that each episode will take 4-5 years?
I doubt they will. First episode had to narrow down gameplay mechanics, materia rules, summon rules & the like. Subsequent episodes will find all of that ready and waiting.

My take is 2 to 3 years tops from here on.

So if it ends up being 3 episodes, I can see it ending in the twilight years of the ps5.

Really curious to see if the latter parts will get ps4 versions.

93xfan

Banned

So true. People forget the original has a bunch of faults and poor decisions in the way the story is presented. Such as the president of Shinra showing up in person and Barrett not shooting him.
Not being able to get the city of Junon, except you save a girl who’s pet dolphin can let you jump up there.
Or Wedge falling from the top of the tower in Sector 7 and saying something like “ugh”.

Even back when I was 14 (and thought movies like The Rock were quality films), I would try to imagine something different and less corny happened in those scenes that ended with the same result.

This new story looks polished and smart. I don’t expect I’ll be needing to buy battery’s to power some random propeller when trying to climb up wreckage and get to the Shinra HQ. I expect it’ll be more like I’ll buy some climbing gear.

Last edited:

On paper, I genuinely believe it’s a smart move. The level of detail we’ve been seeing in pre-release media for Part 1 wouldn’t have been possible otherwise. This is looking like a damned good realization of one of the coolest cities in video game history.

The problem is that I have no idea yet whether or not the execution is going to work in the long run. Right now, I obviously can’t even say with any level of certainty whether Part 1 will actually be good. But even if it is, all sorts of hangups can happen between now and whenever the heck Part 2 arrives, let alone further installments. Square could overly course-correct based on internet clamor, or the development staff could get slammed with more limited resources at some point, or a new director could come aboard midway through production with a lesser vision that impacts the lasting legacy of the series.

It’s a good idea. Won’t matter though if it’s a bum result.

Top Bottom