• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

RAIDEN1

Playstation Pro: Mass Effect 2/PES 2021...M.E 2 addictive as ever .. to say the LEAST!

XSX: Horizon 5, and Halo Infinite, all the way! With maybe the odd Sonic Racing Transformed but more the former rather than the latter..

I just finished Little Misfortune, and it was another incredibly original and lovingly crafted work by Killmonday games. It didn't have the puzzles of Fran Bow and was more of an interactively-limited linear adventure rather than a traditional adventure game, but it was charming for what it was nonetheless. I would have enjoyed some challenge to go along with the wonderful narrative/artistic creativity, but it was still worth a play.

I’ve been doing another play through of Skyrim on Series X. Have like 80 mods and playing a FemNord Battlemage. It’s been fun and pretty relaxing.

Also decided to finally crack open Control Ultimate edition, because I previously finished Alan Wake remaster, and want to see how it connects to that and Alan Wake 2. I’ve gotten to the Research area in order to find Marshall and the more I play this game the more I’m annoyed with it. (Mini rant incoming I suppose).

Firstly I tried one of the timed side missions; it had me backtrack to a different section of the game, I died during it, and it didn’t let me retry it. So basically if you don’t get the side missions first try, it’s just a huge waste of time I guess? I shrugged it off and kept going.

I went to an area with these plants creatures where these weird things could shoot poison/acid at me from across the room and I could barely see them because the game was too zoomed out and everything blends into the environment. I got through it after dying several time and shrugged it off.

Now it seems almost every enemy encounter has enemies with rocket launchers in it, which are incredibly hard to distinguish from the regular enemies who have basic firearms, since the game is so zoomed out most of the time, and all the soldier enemies look the same. And every time I get hit by a rocket it does about 75% damage.

So every encounter goes like this: try to find the rocket boi before he hits me out of nowhere, kill him, start attacking other enemies, kill enough enemies for the game to spawn more in, they spawn behind me or out of view, anther rocket boi hits me out of nowhere, I try to use the shield or dodge to go around and get health pick ups, then I get surrounded and I’m fucked as soon as I’m out of shield. If I dodge/run and find cover I get flanked or the cover gets destroyed, and I’m too far away from health pickups.

To me this just seems like bad design. I’m trying to use every option the game gives me but none of them end up being any good. Maybe I’m just bad and doing something wrong. Idk. I try not to blame games if I die repeatedly and I like a challenge, but something just seems off about this game’s combat. It’s like they tried to make it like the new DOOM games which has the player constantly moving and needing to be close to enemies to get health. The difference is most enemies in DOOM are melee and the Main Character’s movement is much faster and fluid. If you run to get health in DOOM you need to worry about spacing between enemies so you don’t get slapped while doing so. In Control if you run out to get health it doesn’t matter where enemies are, they can just shoot you. And shielding and dodging doesn’t help that much in those instances. DOOM gives you half a dozen guns with their own ammo so there’s plenty of options, where as Control only let’s you use two weapons at a time and they share ammo for some stupid reason and you can Earthbend.

The thing is I think this could just be fixed if the player could use Health packs instead of needing to get health dropped from enemies. But yeah I haven’t hated rocket launcher enemies this much since Ninja Gaiden 2, but I love that game so maybe I’ll change my opinion on Control later. Not sure yet. Any thoughts? Do I just suck or did anyone else feel the same?

ssringo

Very fun retro puzzle, platform, metroidvania. Not very hard but it has a nice loop of exploration, puzzles and upgrades.

Sadly going to get lost in the avalanche of new releases and announcements.

Chastten

Banned
Over the past 4 weeks I played and Finished Dragonball Z: Kakarot, Atelier Ryza 2, Pokémon Shining Pearl, Mario Party Super Stars and Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age back to back. Taking a well deserved break for a few days now, while grinding a bit in Genshin as always.

I've now fininshed exactly 60 Switch games since the whole Covid business started so I might take a little break from the thing to get some of my PC games outta the way. I've got so many (free) games between the various launchers, it's a waste to not play any of them.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I was going to play some COD Cold War but the latest patch has made the game unplayable on PC (crashes as soon as you start a match) and they also removed all of the prestige progress. So I uninstalled it and I'm downloading Overwatch. Hopefully the Christmas event starts this week.

Phase

Got the $1 pc game pass so I've been trying out a bunch of games.

The ones I haven't uninstalled after 20 mins are Dead Cells, Halo Infinite, Serious Sam 4, and Ghost of a Tale. Really enjoying them all.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
MGSV aka Masterfull Game Sex

Anyways, some side objective was rather vague so I looked it up

(https://www.ign.com/wikis/metal-gea...mander_and_the_soldiers_riding_in_his_vehicle)

In short you'd have to fulton 2 jeeps without them spotting you.. And this guide told me to let D-Horse defecate on the road so when driving over the horse shit the car would slide and all inside be dazed due said unexpected slide maneuver so I could run up and fulton the jeep and everyone inside...

Horse poop.

200.gif

Just felt like sharing 😁

kunonabi

Not really feeling like playing much due to family issues but I did try to power through Terminator Resistance to no avail. Just too dull for me. Might to try to muster the drive to finish dillion's dead heat breakers but we'll see.

Vagswarm

Not really feeling like playing much due to family issues but I did try to power through Terminator Resistance to no avail. Just too dull for me. Might to try to muster the drive to finish dillion's dead heat breakers but we'll see.
I heard it's not the greatest from an FPS gameplay standpoint, but it's amazing if you're a fan of the Terminator franchise. Been thinking about getting it as well since it's 50% off on Steam.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Finished The Witcher 3 + Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine. Third playthrough. One of the best games of last gen. Now I'm currently occupied with The Surge 2, Blasphemous and New Super Mario bros deluxe. All of them are really good. I'm halfway through in Surge 2, love the sci fi vibes and combat, very cool atmosphere. In Blasphemous I'm doing NG ++ for newly released dlc Wounds of Eventide. New Super Mario bros deluxe is for my quick 2D Mario fix. Just arrived in Sparkling waters. Great game.

Last edited:

kalecsan

Banned
Finally trying Death Stranding. First hours were great, but I didn't get to experience the most interesting part yet, that is; traversing the landscape using the ladders and rope. I'm after the first boss and didn't have to use them, not even once. My most disappointing moment was when I saw a mountain, I packed the tools and went eager to climb it , just to receive an off putting "Non construction area" or something like that.
I guess It's my fault for expecting something more open and less linear, I'll try to concentrate in the story rather than the world.

RAIDEN1

Judgement.

Was expecting the physical media to get some cut. But, got tired of waiting.

And this game is fucking amazing and entertaiment to play. Gonna spend hours on it, without any hurry.
I brought that in the recent PSN sale, another one on my backlog

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
NSMBU feels like a super charged version of SMB 3. Last couple of worlds have been great with lots of nostalgic feels but also some fresh platforming.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Death’s Door - fought a major boss and now continuing on. It feels good. A little simplistic at times and some frustrating deaths. Overall it’s like a Zelda game with more of a focus on environmental obstacles.

Dark Souls Remastered - playing the Switch version. I was just wanting to play it on Switch. Also wanted to prep for Elden Ring and I had thought about Bloodborne, but I just played through that again this year. I’m at the 4K. I did this run with the Gravelord sword, but I’ve had issues with it. I used a Crystal Halberd for O&S.

Halo Infinite SP - I’m having an awesome time with it. It could be my favorite Halo campaign.

Omega Riddler

Neo Member
Death’s Door - fought a major boss and now continuing on. It feels good. A little simplistic at times and some frustrating deaths. Overall it’s like a Zelda game with more of a focus on environmental obstacles.

Dark Souls Remastered - playing the Switch version. I was just wanting to play it on Switch. Also wanted to prep for Elden Ring and I had thought about Bloodborne, but I just played through that again this year. I’m at the 4K. I did this run with the Gravelord sword, but I’ve had issues with it. I used a Crystal Halberd for O&S.

Halo Infinite SP - I’m having an awesome time with it. It could be my favorite Halo campaign.
343 really outdid themselves in this game. But I feel that they focused too much on the single player that it's hurt the multiplayer.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Started playing Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony on the PSP. Playing with Retoarch since the game recently got achievement support last week.

Didn't play it when it first came out, but I've had the UMD since forever. A few hours in already and I have to say I quite like it. It takes me back to a time when games were simpler, and it's scratching that Diablo itch since a lot of more modern games in that genre always feel so lifeless.

Y0ssarian

Banned
Finished Halo Infinite campaign. Also saved all the marine squads, destroyed all banished outposts, secured all FOBs and killed all the high ranking targets.

I tried Wasteland 2 Director's Cut and I'm not really feeling it. Gonna start Mass Effect Andromeda and maybe Divinity Original Sin as well

yamaci17

after my halo 1-2-3-4-infinite marathon, I started playing Reach. funny? hahah! its still fun. some missions can be very repetetive though but the heroes of reach concept is cool

bender

What time is it?
Making my way through Crosscode now. I just got to the desert area and I'm level 24 or so.

How do you like it? I've been meaning to try it out but my RPG backlog is ridiculous.

I've almost wrapped up Max Payne via Xbox BC on XBX. The simplicity of the mechanics and level design definitely show its' age but I'm having a good time with it.

I've also been playing the Artful Escape. The mechanics are really, really basic and I basically button through all of the dialog. It's a visual treat though so I guess I recommend it a play through.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I clocked bloody 30 hours of Skyrim in my 1 week holiday last week. How is that even possible?

I 100% this game 10 years ago and yet find myself having an absolute blast. For me there is just no other game/series that lets you dwelve into a fantasy world like TES - and now I finally know why I was never able to get into Witcher 3. It's just nothing like Skyrim. Here I'm literally having the feel of being part of a world where events happen whether I'm present or not. Compared to this Witcher is just a bunch of quest/script triggers in a static world.

It's also why I could not care less about the bugs (of which I've only had surprisingly few so far). Never change Todd.

Honey Bunny

I'm about to dive into the FF XV DLC. Surprisingly, because I was ready to give up on the game for most of the second half, but the final chapter really saved my interest in the world.

yansolo

dark souls remastered, near the end doing the dlc now and one more area left , top game

also tried ocarina of time, never having played it as a kid i respect for what it was for its time but its too dated for me by todays standards to continue, got up to the castle just after the tutorial dungeon

just messing about with different games until elden ring

R6Rider

Gold Member
How do you like it? I've been meaning to try it out but my RPG backlog is ridiculous.
I'm enjoying it a lot. There's lots of platforming and puzzles involved for each dungeon and boss fights, so keep that in mind. Combat is simple, but you have plenty of options and skills to unlock as you play. Game has fantastic music and lots of references to other games, movies, characters, etc. The story isn't amazing, but I do like the characters and the interactions between them.

You can really tell the developers put a lot of time and care into the game.

stn

Tales of Arise (PS4) - pretty sure I am about to finally face the last boss. 'Been playing for 48 hours so far. Once I beat it I'm going to do trophy cleanup and go for the platinum. Then, I'll focus on Halo Infinite (XSX), and Guardians of the Galaxy (PS4).

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I think I am going to play the first Batman Arkham game next, never played that before.

So I started playing and have made it pretty far. I am somewhere in the middle I guess. I beat Bane and I am a bit further than that.

So far I like it a lot. At first I thought the controls were a bit janky, and yes they still are but I realized the game isnt an action game so the controls arent as important as I thought. Beating up enemies is fun but the detective work is more fun.

Last edited:

Honey Bunny

I'm about to dive into the FF XV DLC. Surprisingly, because I was ready to give up on the game for most of the second half, but the final chapter really saved my interest in the world.
Promtpo and Gladiolus DLC was crap. Episode Ignis DLC was really amazing and I recommend it to everyone. Hard to believe the same people worked on them.

Top Bottom