• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

drganon

Taking a break from gotg since I recently got smt v for my birthday. Really digging it so far. After playing nocturne, the quality of life improvements they've made are great.

The current rotation is: PS3: Dishonored, Dragon's Dogma, The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, Tomb Raider Underworld. PS4: Doom 3, Layers of Fear, Children of Morta, Underworld Ascendant, Axiom Verge, Star Ocean 4.

The Bureau is surprisingly good. TRU is janky af but superior to the newer games imo. Doom 3 is a blast on PS4 and much better than the BFG Edition from the previous generation. Axiom Verge is fantastic on all fronts. Underworld Ascendant is janky and has obvious flaws but I like it. Dishonored is a blast playing through on stealth/no kill rules. DD and CoM I'm not that far into but are both great so far. SO is SO, you either love it or hate it.

Shai-Tan

Banned
played Darkest Dungeons 2 obsessively for 40 or so hours. ready for more chapters now (only 1 of 5 is available in EA). it gets hate because they changed the design but it's still fun if I start a run and can't pull myself away until it's over (at 3am)

FH5 (nearing the end of patience with this)
Halo mp
Sea of thieves season 5 (it's ok)
Lawn mowing Sim (having lots of fun playing this with my kids)

Might get stuck into Fortnite this week too.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Still Shin Megaming, but I've also had time to try the original WH40K: Dawn of War.

Did a few campaing missions and, while so far it kinda feels like a tutorial, I'm really liking the game.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Metal Gear Solid V
Resident Evil remake
GT Sport
HALO Infinite (practicing with bots, getting familiar etc)

When I'll install my Series S..

Well... a lot 😁

On Series X, I’m playing Far Cry 6, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Scarlet Nexus, Marvel’s: Avengers, Stardew Valley and Skyrim.

On PS5, I just started Ratchet and Clank: A Rift Apart a couple of days ago. Also giving Horizon: Zero Dawn 1 final attempt to see if I can get through it after failing to do so 3/4 times due to boredom. Picking up from a year or so old save so it’s kind rough right now, but that fps patch is making it much easier to give it my final go.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I finished Battlefield Hardline - great game, if buggy as hell. 3.5/5. Would have been a 4/5 without the many game breaking bugs forcing one to reload.

I went back and decided to try and finish the Battlefield 4 campaign since I gave up on it back in the day because of game breaking bug after game breaking bug. This is easily, without any doubt, the worst single player campaign for a first person shooter I have ever played:

• It's the first FPS in which the single player campaign has worse hitreg than the multiplayer. It is bizarre. It takes getting used to because the bullet physics are completely unrealistic. You are often head shotting enemies with sniper rifles or really any gun and nothing happens. You need to learn to lead moving soldiers in a manner that predicts their next animation, because if they begin animations to crouch, get behind cover, or pretty much anything other than running or standing still your bullets simply do not connect
  • There are swimming segments that are incredibly broken. Due to poor controls and weird mechanics dealing with collision detection it takes about five minutes to very, very slowly swim about 15 meters
  • The save points are nonsensical
  • The AA doesn't function like it does in multiplayer. It keeps losing lock-on for no reason, and I kept killing myself because the missiles would hit invisible geometry right in front of me
  • The acting is absolutely dreadful outside of Michael K. Williams's Irish. Seriously. How did anyone designing this narrative give this a green light? It's like B movie, straight to streaming starring Casper Van Dien "movie" levels
  • Your squamates do no damage to the enemies
  • Enemies appear out of thin air at times right next to you. You'll be in cover with your team trying to take a shot, and suddenly there's some Chinese soldier there in the bunker with you. Fucking Nightcrawler from the X-Men levels teleporting
  • Grenade spam. My god, let me at least take cover for two seconds before every NPC throws a grenade. I must have died five times so far because as I am waiting for some friendly NPC's scripted path and animations to finish and get out of my way so I can assume control of my character, I have three grenades tossed at my feet. I can finally move and *boom!*, dead. Time to reload. It's really the luck of the draw whether or not you survive the next reload before the enemies hurl grenades onto you that you cannot avoid because you can't move yet. Just reload and try again
  • I am not some Navy SEAL or anything but I am an on again, off again avid shooter of all guns long and small, and I can say with 100% certainty I can reload any gun, of any manner, at least three times more quickly than this supposed special forces soldier can
  • DICE loves obfuscating the player's view in lieu of properly designing challenging encounters. They dialed it up to 12/10 here. Lighting, which looks pretty, making it impossible to see. Random swirling paper debris inside of places with no wind? Smoke from everything? Rain that seems to have an inner light within each rain drop? There were some segments in which I had to simply stand there and wait for the enemies to shoot so I could target their muzzle flares in an attempt to kill them, because all of the dumb ass DICE retardishness makes it simply impossible for a human being to see what they're doing
I could go on, and on, but man. I am halfway through and determined to see this piece of absolute shit through to the end just to say that I did it. After BF2042 I am seeing DICE in a new light and taking a second analysis of their past work and wow - aside from Bad Company 2, I am realizing DICE really had some of the most horrific and lazy game designers from the past decade. How did I not see this before? (Visceral did Hardline, so that doesn't count)

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've been playing some Detroit: Become Human again hoping to be able to get into it. I also picked up Shenmue III in the year end sale and I'm about to start that. Might replay the first two to reacquaint myself with it. Also playing GTA III on PS4. The PS2 version, not the definitive (lol) edition. I picked up a PS4 slim to take with me when I travel and I've been picking through my library.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell

Y0ssarian

Banned
Finished the campaign of Anthem tonight. It's such a weird game. The combat and movement is so good but the characters and story are garbo. I'm not sure if I'll delete it off my SSD straight away because I did like that gameplay and now I don't have to deal with the terrible characters.

I'm about 3 hours into Jade Empire. It'd be cool if I could beat it before Halo Infinite drops, because I'm certainly going to be taking a break from RPGs and playing halo after jade empire

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Im currently playing Hyper Light Drifter. So far I am really liking it. Its sort of a modern take on the original Legend of Zelda wiht a SciFi vibe. You have an overworld and different mini dungeons. You collect different triangles (not a triforce :) ). You can get power ups and different weapons and abilities.

I also like the atmosphere and music alot.

kingwingin

Was waiting on the physical copy of dusk but I caved and double dipped. Amazing game! Controls and runs so well on switch! Few bosses were insanely hard even on the easiest difficulty, chewed through your health in seconds if you stopped moving

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Skyrim on PS5.

What is it with this game? I mainly bumped it in to see how the free PS5 upgrade is and I find my self being more addicted to it by the hour…. Again. Prolly have already around 20 hours clocked in 3 days. And this is really something for me. Had some many bugs already and yet I can‘t unglue myself. No one makes RPGs like Bethesda.

Also, I find myself slowly appreciating that Bethesda ditched classic quests by making the dungeons tell the stories on their own. Unlike in Witcher 3 the whole world feels so vivid and alive. You never know what shit is going to happen. Unlike Witcher, which is clearly better written but also at the same time (perhaps because of this?) feels so… static.

Such a great game. I love Berhesda for making it but at the same time hate them for taking so long with TES6. Get a move on Howard!

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Currently trying to complete SMT V.
Also re-playing Space Marine. Game is a ton of mindless fun and I enjoy playing it like every two or three years or so.

Im currently playing Hyper Light Drifter. So far I am really liking it. Its sort of a modern take on the original Legend of Zelda wiht a SciFi vibe. You have an overworld and different mini dungeons. You collect different triangles (not a triforce :) ). You can get power ups and different weapons and abilities.

I also like the atmosphere and music alot.
Love that game, one of my favorite indies ever. I really enjoyed both it's demanding combat and it's exploration, every area has a ton of secrets to find.

Honey Bunny

I finished Battlefield Hardline - great game, if buggy as hell. 3.5/5. Would have been a 4/5 without the many game breaking bugs forcing one to reload.

I went back and decided to try and finish the Battlefield 4 campaign since I gave up on it back in the day because of game breaking bug after game breaking bug. This is easily, without any doubt, the worst single player campaign for a first person shooter I have ever played:

• It's the first FPS in which the single player campaign has worse hitreg than the multiplayer. It is bizarre. It takes getting used to because the bullet physics are completely unrealistic. You are often head shotting enemies with sniper rifles or really any gun and nothing happens. You need to learn to lead moving soldiers in a manner that predicts their next animation, because if they begin animations to crouch, get behind cover, or pretty much anything other than running or standing still your bullets simply do not connect
  • There are swimming segments that are incredibly broken. Due to poor controls and weird mechanics dealing with collision detection it takes about five minutes to very, very slowly swim about 15 meters
  • The save points are nonsensical
  • The AA doesn't function like it does in multiplayer. It keeps losing lock-on for no reason, and I kept killing myself because the missiles would hit invisible geometry right in front of me
  • The acting is absolutely dreadful outside of Michael K. Williams's Irish. Seriously. How did anyone designing this narrative give this a green light? It's like B movie, straight to streaming starring Casper Van Dien "movie" levels
  • Your squamates do no damage to the enemies
  • Enemies appear out of thin air at times right next to you. You'll be in cover with your team trying to take a shot, and suddenly there's some Chinese soldier there in the bunker with you. Fucking Nightcrawler from the X-Men levels teleporting
  • Grenade spam. My god, let me at least take cover for two seconds before every NPC throws a grenade. I must have died five times so far because as I am waiting for some friendly NPC's scripted path and animations to finish and get out of my way so I can assume control of my character, I have three grenades tossed at my feet. I can finally move and *boom!*, dead. Time to reload. It's really the luck of the draw whether or not you survive the next reload before the enemies hurl grenades onto you that you cannot avoid because you can't move yet. Just reload and try again
  • I am not some Navy SEAL or anything but I am an on again, off again avid shooter of all guns long and small, and I can say with 100% certainty I can reload any gun, of any manner, at least three times more quickly than this supposed special forces soldier can
  • DICE loves obfuscating the player's view in lieu of properly designing challenging encounters. They dialed it up to 12/10 here. Lighting, which looks pretty, making it impossible to see. Random swirling paper debris inside of places with no wind? Smoke from everything? Rain that seems to have an inner light within each rain drop? There were some segments in which I had to simply stand there and wait for the enemies to shoot so I could target their muzzle flares in an attempt to kill them, because all of the dumb ass DICE retardishness makes it simply impossible for a human being to see what they're doing
I could go on, and on, but man. I am halfway through and determined to see this piece of absolute shit through to the end just to say that I did it. After BF2042 I am seeing DICE in a new light and taking a second analysis of their past work and wow - aside from Bad Company 2, I am realizing DICE really had some of the most horrific and lazy game designers from the past decade. How did I not see this before? (Visceral did Hardline, so that doesn't count)
I enjoyed the BF4 campaign but I'm not an FPS guy so maybe all of this completely went over my head.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Currently trying to complete SMT V.
Also re-playing Space Marine. Game is a ton of mindless fun and I enjoy playing it like every two or three years or so.

Love that game, one of my favorite indies ever. I really enjoyed both it's demanding combat and it's exploration, every area has a ton of secrets to find.

Finished it last night. Was a really fun game.

I think I am going to play the first Batman Arkham game next, never played that before.

T-Cake

AC IV: Black Flag. My Assassin's Creed marathon is slowly coming along. At first I couldn't get the hang of the ship battles at all but now it's more fun than the land missions. I miss Desmond and gang though.

TintoConCasera

Finished it last night. Was a really fun game.

I think I am going to play the first Batman Arkham game next, never played that before.
Liked that one too. If you are into Metroid games kind of progression you'll love it.

Shuffling between multiple games: Nioh 2, Rocket League, Hades, Crash Bandicoot 4, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney trilogy and Hell Let Loose.

Rayderism

Been playing Mass Effect Legendary Edition. Never played them before.....really enjoying them, started with the first one and am working my way through them in order. I even bought Mass Effect Androgynous. Recently started ME3 at this point.

FunkMiller

Still making my way through Guardians Of The Galaxy, and thoroughly enjoying it. Really is a very decent interactive movie type game, that captures the spirit of the first film very successfully.

Also playing It Takes Two with my girlfriend… and fuck Take Two for targeting the devs of such a brilliant little, feature packed co-op game.

ikbalCO

Just finished re:village
Currently playing halo infinite campaign (can't stop) & horizon 5 (does not end) on series s
I was planing on playing ghost of tsushina on ps5 but xbox is taking all my time atm.

AC IV: Black Flag. My Assassin's Creed marathon is slowly coming along. At first I couldn't get the hang of the ship battles at all but now it's more fun than the land missions. I miss Desmond and gang though.
My favorite story and lead in ac game. Every one praises the ship battles and fail to see how special the narrative of ac iv is
Quantum Break, again. Love the game and very underrated.
Fully agree. I was kinda pissed when they didnt include qb to control/allen wake canon.

MachRc

OMG finally finished Days Gone, Jeebus....the ark....the colonel, all over.

been playing alot of horizon, driving home in traffic, to then sit down on the couch and drive moar on the SX.
I think Im level 36, I just press down on D pad and Right for next race. I do like 5 races a day....
1yB11Gs.jpg

On the PS5 I play some ghost of tsushima director's ed, ps5 version, i had ordered the wrong ps4 version at first how embarrassing , its going good.
4BWr1UY.jpg

but all my time is going to be spent on Halo for probably the whole month.
l7q8Txs.jpg

T-Cake

My favorite story and lead in ac game. Every one praises the ship battles and fail to see how special the narrative of ac iv is
Hmm, I’m only half way through the story but I’m not finding that aspect particularly gripping. Maybe it will get better in the second half.

T0minator

My go-to has been Returnal, lately.

The risk and reward gameplay setups are really genius game design. You can't just go through it guns blazing (as cool as it is to do that)
Using the right items "should I pick up this item that increases my hit damage on enemies and risk getting infected with a parasite that drains my health over time" or "should open this chest that has items in it and risk a monsters coming out and attacking me"

The gameplay scenarios you're put in are really genius and highly highly underrated. I'm thinking another price drop and alot of people will finally be able to see how awesome Returnal is

Y0ssarian

Banned
Finished Jade Empire. Best graphics on OG Xbox? Story, characters and quests were good. Combat a little clunky. I just maxxed out the sword and steam rolled peasants.

Next up is Divinity Original Sin and Halo Infinite!

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Finished Jade Empire. Best graphics on OG Xbox? Story, characters and quests were good. Combat a little clunky. I just maxxed out the sword and steam rolled peasants.

Next up is Divinity Original Sin and Halo Infinite!
I pretty much agree with everything you said about Jade Empire, but at the time there was really nothing like it. Plus, even today, it has an odd peacefulness to some of the scenes. Just loved the interactions.

Y0ssarian

Banned
I pretty much agree with everything you said about Jade Empire, but at the time there was really nothing like it. Plus, even today, it has an odd peacefulness to some of the scenes. Just loved the interactions.
You can see how Bioware started to transition from dnd type combat from KotOR to more action style like the mass effect games. I really enjoyed the game, will probably replay it in 6 months as path of the closed fist.

I am on a roll with Bioware games. I have Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Editions, Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition and Mass Effect Andromeda left

Vagswarm

Finally paused Diablo 2: Ressurected (made it to Hell; Act 2) in favor of Halo Infinite. I just finished the intro but enjoying it so far. From an immersive / environment perspective it's the best one at this point. It's definitely darker and the bad guys feel more evil. There's a lot of character interaction and it just looks and feels great. Plenty of space to move around and battle in. There's also a sense of urgency and the effects are awesome. It's the first game I've played on this laptop that hasn't defaulted to the highest graphical settings -- it started at medium! I turned it up to high and there is some slight stuttering at times. It feels pretty polished overall though.

Still too early to tell how it fares from a gameplay / combat standpoint. I keep running out of ammo, but there's usually a few weapons available. Definitely not stocked to the max like previous games, but there are ammo crates and explosives.

Haven't seen any of the open world type stuff yet, or the outdoor areas, so I'm assuming there's more. It's definitely kept me hooked for sure... despite playing through the entire MCC earlier this year, it feels like it's been a long time since a proper Halo campaign was released. Halo 5 wasn't that great but I did like 4. That's still a decade ago!

Top Bottom