• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

stn

Two hours into Bloodborne and I loved every minute until I lost over 7000 echoes and was reminded why I also hate FromSoft. Garbage and unnecessary game design. I am definitely NOT playing Elden Ring after this. :messenger_face_steam:
You can always make up for it. Don't let losing echoes discourage you. You'll not only get better at the game but you'll also find places where you can grind.

I'm playing Spiritfarer. Never thought I'd get to this, but I feel like I've played everything worth playing. My backlog is non-existent - at least from games that don't just sound like a chore to play.
With Spiritfarer you have to go in with realistic expectations about what it is and what it isn't.
That being said Spiritfarer is a lovely game about love, loss and what it means when we die. It made me cry a few times which is extremely rare for a video game to do to me. I played it on GP and immediately bought a physical copy for the Switch for my library when a physical copy was released because I liked it so much.

I've just started Eastward on Nintendo Switch. I'm really enjoying it so far - sort of a mash up between LOZ a Link to the Past and Earthbound weirdness. Beautiful opening game animation as well and I hoped there would be more in cut scenes when progressing through the game but I haven't encountered any so far. The only annoying thing is not being able to save anywhere because it limits when I can play the game.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Got blasphemous for the Xbox because it is currently discounted. Really enjoying it so far. Controls are good, graphics are detailed, great backgrounds, good animation, decent difficulty, good level design. Very good Metroidvania so far.
Paid 6 bucks for it. Absolutely worth the price.

th

Cryio

Already a third way through Ratchet Going Commando. What a smooth playing game. Story is surprisingly weak so far though.

Naked Lunch

Dragon Warrior 1 [NES]
I wanted to (finally) finish the original. My younger self never had the patience for this back in the day. The charm and perfect color pallet of the series was always there from the beginning. Some absurd level grinding required. For the last boss you must be at level 20 to have a chance which is crazy to me.

Still, im glad I finally was able to see this one thru to the end. One of the better NES endings for sure. Its interesting it says 'based on Dragon Quest' in the end credits. From what I understand the US Warrior version has some differences from the Japanese one.

Ace Combat 7 [Series X]
Starting an Ace Difficulty run. Already finding some hidden aces in the levels.

Halo Infinite [Series X]
Finally found my style and rhythm in multiplayer. Been pretty consistently playing well.

Last edited:

Josemayuste

Monster Hunter Rise (gotta be ready for that Sunbreak expansion) Diablo 2 resurrected, and some nice old Skyrim from time to time, I play all of them on Nintendo Switch.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
In what feels like a years long quest to find another game truly like Stardew Valley, I think I've finally found one that is close with Little Witch in the Woods.

Early on it's very linear, essentially an hour and a half long tutorial. There's too much dialogue and what's here is very odd and amateurish (or maybe I'm just too old), but it's still early access so hopefully they hire a scribe to punch it up some while also trimming down some unnecessary lines. But the rest of the gameplay is great. Study the world around you, craft witches brews and treatments, chase critters for their goodies, complete quests for villagers, etc. Nice chill vibe, great pixel art and retro music.

It's still rough around the edges and not nearly as expansive as Stardew (no surprise), but there's a lot of potential here and definitely a game to be enjoyed.

Last edited:
Resident Evil 5 is a lot more fun than I remembered.

In the past I used to constantly compare it to RE4, which I think affected my enjoyment. Standing on its own, it's a pretty fun action game that really shines in co-op especially. My only gripe is some of the bosses are ridiculous in the higher difficulties, you have to be like perfect. I enjoy the upgrade system too for weapons, although it's definitely quite grindy.

Graphics still look pretty good as well, it's aged quite well.

Kssio_Aug

Got blasphemous for the Xbox because it is currently discounted. Really enjoying it so far. Controls are good, graphics are detailed, great backgrounds, good animation, decent difficulty, good level design. Very good Metroidvania so far.
Paid 6 bucks for it. Absolutely worth the price.

th
It really is a great game! Finished it recently and had a lot of fun with it. And definitely not as frustrating as I usually hear people talk about.

There's one (maybe 2) short section of spikes, near the end, that is super annoying. But other than that, I really had no problems with the platforming of the game. I think they improved the plataform "physics" after a patch, but sadly it apparently still scaries a lot of people away.

Would definitely recommend it to everyone who likes either Dark Souls or Metroidvania games.

Last edited:

tylrdiablos

I stuck 1 hour into V Rising and refunded it. It's not a bad game, I'm just burned out on [Gather 50 Wood Planks and 100 Stone to craft a Lumber Mill] games. Should have done more research I guess. (My friends and I put 50+ hours into Valheim very recently.)

So now I'm considering playing Death Stranding on PC. Doesn't this game have online elements that are heavily influenced by what other players have done (don't they leave ropes behind for you to climb and bridges to cross etc?) - I don't know if the online experience will be helped or hindered by me being late to the party.

The_hunter

In what feels like a years long quest to find another game truly like Stardew Valley, I think I've finally found one that is close with Little Witch in the Woods.

Early on it's very linear, essentially an hour and a half long tutorial. There's too much dialogue and what's here is very odd and amateurish (or maybe I'm just too old), but it's still early access so hopefully they hire a scribe to punch it up some while also trimming down some unnecessary lines. But the rest of the gameplay is great. Study the world around you, craft witches brews and treatments, chase critters for their goodies, complete quests for villagers, etc. Nice chill vibe, great pixel art and retro music.

It's still rough around the edges and not nearly as expansive as Stardew (no surprise), but there's a lot of potential here and definitely a game to be enjoyed.
Have you tried Littlewood?

R6Rider

Gold Member
Battlefield V - Me and a group of friends installed it again so I've been mostly playing that for multiplayer.

Sniper Elite 5 - Mostly invading people so far. Super fun to do and try different things.

Resident Evil 5 - Finished the main game and have one more DLC to finish in co-op.

Edit: Just noticed they are all fives :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Forgot to mention that I also have beaten Metal Gear Rising again.

This game is, for sure, one of my favorites. I've beaten it three or four times since it came out and it still gives me the same amounts of fun and excitement it did the first time I played it.

I like how the combat is more about parrying and evading than doing crazy combos, the enemy variety is good enough and the game's duration and pacing are perfect. I never felt like I was getting bored or that a level or bossfight was dragging for far too long.

Oh, and the music! Top ten videogame OSTs for me, not only for the music itself but because how they use it and mix it to make it even more exciting, like playing certain specific parts during a QTE or scene or the classic move of playing the song with lyrics in the final part of the boss fight. Good shit.

And finally, I was surprised that the game still manages to look real good even today, specially at 4K. A patch it's needed to increase the resolution upto that point, and it breaks the UI in some places (mostly the codec and the customization screens) but hey, totally worth it.

What a game, if you haven't played it go do so, now!

Battlefield V - Me and a group of friends installed it again so I've been mostly playing that for multiplayer.

Sniper Elite 5 - Mostly invading people so far. Super fun to do and try different things.

Resident Evil 5 - Finished the main game and have one more DLC to finish in co-op.

Edit: Just noticed they are all fives :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Time to change your name.

Marvel Snap closed beta, better than I thought it'd be. Fun game so far.

AC Origins tomorrow for 60fps patch on Xbox.

And very casual some WoW action.

I stuck 1 hour into V Rising and refunded it. It's not a bad game, I'm just burned out on [Gather 50 Wood Planks and 100 Stone to craft a Lumber Mill] games. Should have done more research I guess. (My friends and I put 50+ hours into Valheim very recently.)

So now I'm considering playing Death Stranding on PC. Doesn't this game have online elements that are heavily influenced by what other players have done (don't they leave ropes behind for you to climb and bridges to cross etc?) - I don't know if the online experience will be helped or hindered by me being late to the party.
Usually online experience is pretty helpful in that game. People left vehicles and ladders for hard to reach places and the vehicles made the early grinds easier. I never had an issue with online in that game and I have over 60 hrs played.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
It really is a great game! Finished it recently and had a lot of fun with it. And definitely not as frustrating as I usually hear people talk about.

There's one (maybe 2) short section of spikes, near the end, that is super annoying. But other than that, I really had no problems with the platforming of the game. I think they improved the plataform "physics" after a patch, but sadly it apparently still scaries a lot of people away.

Would definitely recommend it to everyone who likes either Dark Souls or Metroidvania games.
Absolutely. I think it is challenging, especially later it can get quiet difficult, but I don't think that any seasoned player of sidescrollers will have problems finishing the game, and like you said, except one or two annoying sections it is never frustrating or unfair.
I'm close to finishing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Are they making a sequel by any chance ? I missed the hype train when this was current and forgot about it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Playing some Star Ocean 2 on my Slim PS2 with my RF switch hooked up to a QLED TV on Channel 4. I’m having a great authentic retro experience. About 15 hours in, level 40. So far, so good. Finished First Departure last year on PS4. I’ve been slowly playing Stella Glow on 3DS. Slow summer and I usually rush through my library.

Fbh

Tales of Arise.
I'm enjoying it, though so far (12 hours in) I'd say it's good but not great. The visual upgrade compared to previous games is nice, and the combat is pretty fun if a bit too flashy (to the point it's sometimes hard to see what is going on). I specially like how they basically removed mana and replaced it with "cure points" so the casters in the team are actually useful and don't constantly burn through their MP.
The weak part so far is the plot, it's all very generic (main character has amnesia...sigh)

sedg87

Banned
I, too, am playing World of Warcraft. I resubbed a few months ago to see how Shadowlands has played out as I haven't played since September '21. Anyway, I haven't even checked the Shadowlands stuff out. Just been running old raids for mounts and nope, not had a single one drop.

Also been playing Resi 0 again. Wesker Mode. I don't think I've used more than a couple clips of ammo really; That special ability of his just seems to shred everything!

Last edited:
I've been playing the Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection

I've always wanted to play these games. I'm not a huge MM fan in general but the fast gameplay and the saber had a lot of appeal to me. I think I bounced off it as a kid because of the difficulty, shameful as it is to admit.

Right now I've finished every game except ZX Advent.

So. The Zero games are sick and imo every entry is better than the last. At first it's frustrating, and I found the best way was to scrape through towards the end then restart and try to do a better run... given the ranking system and the short length of each game it seems set up with this in mind.

When you know what you're doing, you can dash through stages cutting and blasting enemies like a ninja. The blaster also shouldn't be underestimated, since charged shots can kill basic enemies at a distance, and strong enemies can be more easily dispatched by for eg. mixing a charged shot with a dash cut. It's simple but there's a real rhythm to it.

I'm not a fan of the elemental system. It's a MM staple but I don't like it in any of these games. You equip the correct elemental chip to counter the boss and suddenly you bypass the challenge of the boss almost entirely. That's it. By the fourth game, the system was neutered to the point of being a non-issue, so I guess Inti Creates knew it sucked too.

I don't like subtanks either. You find them hidden in a couple of levels (or in cyber elves allegedly, but I never used those since they affect ranking). How difficult the game is is largely dependent on how many of these things you get... I think they're just too big of an advantage for an optional thing that often requires returning to a level with a later ability.

Most of the bosses are great to fight and learn, but there are a few with moves that seem to be down to luck. Also, the first game has by far the hardest end boss, which makes the subsequent final bosses seem a bit weak (especially Zero 2's).

And as you might expect, many levels rely heavily on pits and insta-death surfaces. It can feel a little cheap at times, especially given the limited view that the game allows, and it makes me wish effort had been put in to extend the view to the full width of a 16:9 display.

My favourite game of the series was 4. The level design was stronger and generally had less annoying BS than previous games sometimes did. The elemental system nerf meant that I had to engage with the bosses. There's a system that involves changing the weather for a level into an easy or normal difficulty state, which is a fun way to give people an easy mode if they need it imo. There are no real stinker levels like the Sunken Library from MMZ3 or the Crystal Cave from MMZ2.

All in all I'm happy I finally played these games. It really can't be overstated how satisfying the saber feels... the various animations for enemies being sliced in two are satisfying. Oh, and the port is good. It's not an emulation, there's no input lag that I noticed. They should have added an option to instantly restart a level though. Actually that's my #1 gripe with these games. It's so frustrating to want to restart a level but have to instead reload and skip through some scenes.

Anyway... two more games. Fewer words.

ZX is okay. It's a worse version of Zero in a Metroidvania style world that exists solely to waste your time. The lava level is genuinely some garbage tier game design and the final level feels very much like something they had to rush... Nobody should care about the story in these games but even by those standards this is very poorly told. Oh, the player has multiple forms with different moves but you will only use two of these forms unless the game demands otherwise.

ZX Advent so far is another mediocre game but they took the saber away from you and replaced it with a weird lock-on projectile attack that you will NEVER use. They did add some more forms based off animal-like bosses rather than humanoids, which sounds cool but in reality they're of very limited utility and only serve to clutter the menu you have to navigate whenever you want to switch form.

I wouldn't recommend the latter two but the collection is easily worth it for the Zero games. I'm glad that Inti Creates is still around and making some of the best platformers ever (Curse of the Moon 2 and Blaster Master Zero 2 are amazing fyi) and Capcom should call them up and fork over the cash for a new Zero game of some sort

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
Just finished Panzer Dragoon Orta and Half Life 2 Episode One. Why are these OG Xbox games so based.

I still need to finish off Sonic Unleashed. I would have done it by now if I didn't have to collect medals. I'm also playing Sonic Advance, I'm like halfway through

Last edited:
Top Bottom