• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Giving Resident Evil 6 a try and actually enjoying it surprisingly. It's very flawed and I think the QTE's sections really could have been taken out, but it's more than fun enough if you just treat it as an action game and not think of it as Resident Evil title. So far, I've enjoyed Ada's campaign the most. Shortest and there's pretty much no QTE's, has some puzzles like classic RE too. Her weapons arsenal is pretty fun to use as well, you get a crossbow.

Leon's campaign is the most 'horror' feeling at the beginning, and I wish they would have kept that tone throughout.

One of those games I'm warming up to over time, even with all of its flaws. I can't deny it's got a lot of content as well. You get 4 campaigns, plus all the bonus content.

Ballthyrm

I'm playing Card Shark. A tale of thievery, mischief and various shenanigans with a roguish fake count that makes his living as scam artist.
The setting is in pre-revolutionnary France on the eve of the revolution.

You play as a deaf-mute that's thrown into that world and must learn to cheat to survive.

maxresdefault.jpg

It's a bit like a wario-ware like game with various mini challenges of memory, dexterity and observation.
It's really well done and the setting really makes it a game to remember as you meet a lot of famous people of the time.

The art style is also quite unique as It feel like a paper cutout animated world.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Giving Resident Evil 6 a try and actually enjoying it surprisingly. It's very flawed and I think the QTE's sections really could have been taken out, but it's more than fun enough if you just treat it as an action game and not think of it as Resident Evil title. So far, I've enjoyed Ada's campaign the most. Shortest and there's pretty much no QTE's, has some puzzles like classic RE too. Her weapons arsenal is pretty fun to use as well, you get a crossbow.

Leon's campaign is the most 'horror' feeling at the beginning, and I wish they would have kept that tone throughout.

One of those games I'm warming up to over time, even with all of its flaws. I can't deny it's got a lot of content as well. You get 4 campaigns, plus all the bonus content.
Chris and Jake’s campaign is where the action based gameplay really shows itself. Chris can’t just settle down. My only defense for RE6 is with the virus and how it’s spreading across the city. Everything has to speed up in order to keep the story going. Capcom’s collection of games during that time period aren’t really missed.

Shifty1897

Just finished No More Heroes on Switch (#6 completed game of 2022) and dove right into No More Heroes 2. I forgot how crazy these games were but they've been a lot of fun and a welcome break after beating both Bloodborne and Demon's Souls for the first time.

Finished Resident Evil with Jill. I know it's nostalgia talking but I absolutely adore this game. I genuinely think I could play it for the rest of my life without ever getting bored. I'll finish Resi 0 next and then play, errrm, ummmm, not sure. I've finished Remake, 2, 3, 4 and 7 already this year.
Play Resident Evil Code Veronica bro! One of my favourites in the series.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Just got a Switch Lite. Currently going through SMT 5 and obviously getting my ass kicked. Also Metroid Dread, Monster Hunter Rise and Triangle Strategy. Great games all around.
i had to play on casual for SMT5 :messenger_tears_of_joy: gave up near the end of the game because i felt like there was a huge difficulty curve when you get to the last open area. i've played through all the souls games but SMT5 broke me.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
i had to play on casual for SMT5 :messenger_tears_of_joy: gave up near the end of the game because i felt like there was a huge difficulty curve when you get to the last open area. i've played through all the souls games but SMT5 broke me.
The later section of SMT V you start to see enemies using more pierce and almighty attacks, the Zeus boss fight showed me I had to changed up my tactics and Nahobimo’s unique skills like Kannabi Veil and Murakumo becomes very useful.

It's all about your builds man. You really should be using neg dmg passive abilities way before that point. If you do your builds right and do your fusions in the right ways you should be ok.

Keep going! Try and mess around with your builds and you should be ok.

I'm doing it on Normal mode. Casual mode would just feel like I didn't beat it. But each to their own!

Last edited:
I just got the last achievement on Tales of Vesperia.

Great game, but I wish there weren't so many super time-sensitive stuff, I had way too many tabs open just for this game lol (4 on the Aselia wiki alone, two different playthroughs to cross-check, an achievements guide, an item database for when I was looking for a specific item for synthesizing...). also, I suck at it, and have no idea how those people can make those 150-hits combo videos; against the very-definitive-final-bonus boss I had to lower the difficulty because of how annoying he was by not playing by the rules.

I'll rank it third amongst Tales games, after Eternia and Symphonia.

Great game, but I wish there weren't so many super time-sensitive stuff, I had way too many tabs open just for this game lol (4 on the Aselia wiki alone, two different playthroughs to cross-check, an achievements guide, an item database for when I was looking for a specific item for synthesizing...). also, I suck at it, and have no idea how those people can make those 150-hits combo videos; against the very-definitive-final-bonus boss I had to lower the difficulty because of how annoying he was by not playing by the rules.

I've never been able to stomach this sort of thing in JRPGs. Having to alt-tab constantly or, worse, keep a guide up on the phone... never mind the stress of worrying that you might miss one tiny thing in a 40hr game. It takes the enjoyment out of things. I'd rather miss whatever content is there (unless the ending is dependent on it because the devs hate me)

Also, the best Tales games are clearly Abyss and Graces F. That's objective, unquestionable fact :]

I've never been able to stomach this sort of thing in JRPGs. Having to alt-tab constantly or, worse, keep a guide up on the phone... never mind the stress of worrying that you might miss one tiny thing in a 40hr game. It takes the enjoyment out of things. I'd rather miss whatever content is there (unless the ending is dependent on it because the devs hate me)

Also, the best Tales games are clearly Abyss and Graces F. That's objective, unquestionable fact :]
Abyss is ojectively one of the worst, actually; totally forgettable soundtrack, awful English voice acting, terrible characters (Luke gets more and more annoying everytime he gets "character development"), and the combat system has some good ideas but gets completely ruined by a terrible first implementation of free-run. Story was good at least. Like with FF7, people only like it because it was their first game from the series they played.

reektann

Started up Citizen Sleeper on PC gamepass on a whim - 5 hours later and I’m still here! Really excellent writing and music in this. Not my usual type of game but it’s been really great. Being able to play it all just using a mouse/mouse wheel and no keys has made it very chilled.

Horizon Forbidden West
The latest patch really fixed the performance mode. It looks perfect now.
The game feels surprisingly clunkier than the previous one. Especially the climbing.

They should have changed the weapons to something energy-based. It's so dumb crafting 30 arrows while doing a summersault.

cLZrlR7.jpg

Really good game. The laughably bad AI for stealth kills the immersion a bit, but it's best just to accept it's video-gameness.

I loved 90% of the game, but the end of the game has one annoyingly difficult part that just seems to be broken, causing the auto-aim to miss, resulting in having to redo one section way too many times. I came very close to shelving the game for that part, until I eventually got through it.

Abyss is ojectively one of the worst, actually; totally forgettable soundtrack, awful English voice acting, terrible characters (Luke gets more and more annoying everytime he gets "character development"), and the combat system has some good ideas but gets completely ruined by a terrible first implementation of free-run. Story was good at least. Like with FF7, people only like it because it was their first game from the series they played.

You take this back now.

Anyway, I played Symphonia first... I didn't like it as much because the story falls off absurdly fast (I've played the game so many times, still cannot remember anything that happens after the first arc of the plot, it is so damn boring)... As for Abyss I liked Luke (I know, controversial) and Jade and didn't dislike the rest of the cast too much. The battle system wasn't good but neither really are any of them except Graces so I don't care. It has easily the best ending in the series. Maybe it's due a replay though so I can reconfirm this...probably after playing Arise it will seem even better than I remember in comparison tho

lachesis

Finally finished Age of Calamity. Took little shorter than 80 hours. By finishing it, I mean I completed every single side quests - and oftentimes it felt like I'm doing gardening, like all those side quest popping up like weed, and it took some methodical patience to really tackle every one of them - and sometimes felt like a lot of padding. Felt like the game wasn't giving me enough rewards to really encourage try out other characters. Upgrading or leveling up cost so much rupees and felt quite slow process...

And having such slow leveling up and having such vast playable character roster -kinda hindered the flow of the story, and not that it had the strongest story to boot with... but during my actual play thru - I had hard time really focusing anything on the story at all. I knew what was going on, but not 100%. After completing the game, I took a few hours and sat there and watched the cut scenes in a row, which made me to enjoy the story a bit more.

I don't think I will be getting the DLC though - I may just check out the cut-scenes on Youtube.
The sub-30fps performance wasn't as horrible as I expected - except the last Hateno challenge battle, where the fps while fighting the Calamity Ganon, it felt like some single digit fps. This was one of the games that I was holding off for the Switch Pro, actually... and would have been great if it was fluid 60fps.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Deadcraft

capsule_616x353.jpg

Found the demo randomly on Switch and haven't stopped playing it since. Never even heard of this game. It's not even AA, it's just A. It's a very low budget, ugly Japanese game. Reminds me a bit of the original NieR or Drakengard 3 sometimes, but even more low budget.

That said, it's just fun. Seems like it's a unique spin on the farming games Marvelous puts out. Here you are surviving in a post-apocalyptic zombie world. Everyone looks like a character from Mad Max or Fist of the Northstar. Your character has some zombie DNA and gets unique powers, and the ability to create zombies, augment them with various weapons, create your own weapons, grow crops, grow zombie crops also.
Whatever your expectations are after reading that, lower them. But even still, I'm having a ton of fun and can't stop playing it.

ss_1c9e5bd80c7bea7751ff6174d520462ff9d18261.1920x1080.jpg
images

images
cFGGlBC.jpg

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Halo Ranked (open crossplay)
Solo duo controller apparently a very small userbase so waiting takes to long. And Elden Ring

Really sucks being a loner with social anxiety because *we could win so more often when using comms. Then again I'd have to learn all locations by heart lol. Plus I sound like a retarded Arnold with my accent

Bleh

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

Yesterday I finally gave in and made my first purchase from the Epic Store. Darkest Dungeon II, I loved the first one and was tired of waiting for a Steam version.
When it finally hits Steam I'll buy Day One.

Yesterday I finally gave in and made my first purchase from the Epic Store. Darkest Dungeon II, I loved the first one and was tired of waiting for a Steam version.
When it finally hits Steam I'll buy Day One.
I didn't realize that was out. Has there been word of a console release?

I finally finished the full Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection. I won't go into many words since I previously wrote too many about the Zero games and ZX, but I feel bad for ZX Advent... it was subject to two really bad decisions that screwed the game:

- not giving you the ZX form until the late game and instead making your main form a worse version of the X form from the previous game
- forcing a bunch of boss enemy forms on you that have no practical use except Metroidvania-style bypassing of obstacles

The level design overall was better than ZX despite a couple of rough spots early on, and they reigned in the Metroidvania-style world so it's pretty much just level after level without much backtracking. But at that point... just make it like Zero or any other Mega Man game where we choose levels from a list.

Big recommend for the collection as a whole but these two games have problems and I can't really recommend them on their own.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
started final fantasy vii remake on pc.

im only a few hours in but im having so much fun. the combat system is brilliant and im loving the soundtrack. the characters while they seemed a little silly at first, mostly cloud with that hair and ridiculously huge sword, i have really warmed up to them! i like the setting too it has a cyberpunk feel to it.

i cant believe im only just playing this now. ive heard how great it is time and time again but i never really took it seriously. the only final fantasy games ive played are XIII and XIV. XIII bored me to tears and XIV was not bad but it seemed a bit creepy with elves, cat people, and people riding around on chickens. so i guess just avoided final fantasy altogether after that.

recently ive been trying to play games that i have been close minded about. while the FF games i played didnt do anything for me it felt unfair to ignore them based on just two games. FFVII is on sale right now on PC and i got it cause i actually had the time to play so it felt like the perfect time to give it a shot and so far im so glad i did :)

Last edited:

stn

Fist of the North Star (PS4), I'm on chapter 6. I've never watched the anime but I bought it when it released because of its similarities to Yakuza. It is very solid, looking forward to finishing the story soon. After that, back to Elden Ring (XSX).

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Fist of the North Star (PS4), I'm on chapter 6. I've never watched the anime but I bought it when it released because of its similarities to Yakuza. It is very solid, looking forward to finishing the story soon. After that, back to Elden Ring (XSX).
It's secretly the best Yakuza game. You should see if the PS4 theme is still up for free. Has that crazy Japanese metal song on the home page lol.

started final fantasy vii remake on pc.

im only a few hours in but im having so much fun. the combat system is brilliant and im loving the soundtrack. the characters while they seemed a little silly at first, mostly cloud with that hair and ridiculously huge sword, i have really warmed up to them! i like the setting too it has a cyberpunk feel to it.

i cant believe im only just playing this now. ive heard how great it is time and time again but i never really took it seriously. the only final fantasy games ive played are XIII and XIV. XIII bored me to tears and XIV was not bad but it seemed a bit creepy with elves, cat people, and people riding around on chickens. so i guess just avoided final fantasy altogether after that.

recently ive been trying to play games that i have been close minded about. while the FF games i played didnt do anything for me it felt unfair to ignore them based on just two games. FFVII is on sale right now on PC and i got it cause i actually had the time to play so it felt like the perfect time to give it a shot and so far im so glad i did :)
Cool, I picked it up on ps5 but only put in about 3-4 hours. I need to jump back into it, as i really didn't dig in yet. The fact that it is only half a game has kind of held me back.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
My nephew, for some bizarre reason, really likes The Avengers on PS5. He's ten. Anyways, he roped me into playing it with him and god the game is soulless. I decided to go back and replay the first part of the story mission, and one can tell that whoever wrote and designed the story missions really had passion and vision at first. Kamala feels like a genuine teenager, the fandom feels real, it's fun and vibrant, etc.

Then when that opening ends the game suddenly feels like some free to play browser-based schlock that is trying to get kids to buy Blorko Coins or whatever. Just absolute ass and balls.

Ryūtō

Just started playing The Last Guardian and... it's really something. Fighting with the camera is the most frustrating part so far and I've heard it doesn't really get any better. And controlling your character is equally as frustrating: I don't know how to explain it, but he feels too heavy and floaty at the same time. I know it's probably deliberate, but the physics based gameplay really dampens the enjoyment IMHO.

I'm only a few hours in and plan on finishing it, but a second playthrough is out of the question.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Just started playing The Last Guardian and... it's really something. Fighting with the camera is the most frustrating part so far and I've heard it doesn't really get any better. And controlling your character is equally as frustrating: I don't know how to explain it, but he feels too heavy and floaty at the same time. I know it's probably deliberate, but the physics based gameplay really dampens the enjoyment IMHO.

I'm only a few hours in and plan on finishing it, but a second playthrough is out of the question.

All those years in the oven, all of the delays to presumably polish it, and all I can remember is fidgeting with the camera or accidentally falling off stuff because the character seemed to like taking a few extra steps after I took my thumb off the stick. What a rough game that was.

TwiztidElf

I recently finished Dying Light 1, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Much more than I expected to.
Prior to that, I finished Persona 5 Strikers which I also enjoyed quite a lot.
^ Those two were the last of my "soft secondary backlog".

I've picked up Catherine Full Body. It was cheap on PSN. It's quite good so far, but the church bell dinging is ridiculous. I haven't looked to turn it off, but I hope that's an option.

I just finished platinum unpacking for playstation now I’m moving on to ghost of Tsushima,and finishing final fantasy 7 remake on ps5.

Last edited:

Yeah, the game controls horribly. Shame, because otherwise it was a very good game.

Amory

images

I'm finally getting around to RE Village after buying it on launch day. Goes to show I should not be buying games on launch day...
Enjoying it. I'm not sure if it's in my top tier of RE games (with REmake, REmake 2, Code Veronica, and RE7), but it's close. Could get there if it finishes strong. Playing this on Steam Deck and I can't believe how well it runs and how good it looks.

fire-emblem-awakening-logo.jpg

Never gave Fire Emblem much of a chance and with the 3DS eShop shutting down I figured I'd pick it up while I still can. Still early on, but I'm not sure if this series is for me or not. I don't think the game does a great job onboarding the player. There's a lot of menus thrown at you and I haven't seen much explanation of what I should be doing outside of battles. Battles themselves are fun, but I'm pretty sure I suck even though I'm winning in the end.

images

Picked up the GTA "definitive" (and I use that term very lightly) collection and I'm slowly working my way through GTA3 for the first time since ps2. This game doesn't hold up too well. I do enjoy the nostalgia and that the game is so loose in its structure that you can frequently find shortcuts to beating missions. But combat feels terrible, the map quickly becomes so hostile that you can barely survive just driving around let alone try to explore, and there are too many BS missions that aren't any fun, just frustrating. I'll finish it eventually.

And then I've been firing up Gran Turismo 7 from time to time to get a few races in, and technically I'm still playing Paper Mario Origami King but I dunno about that one. Game has not grabbed me and the combat is so tedious. Think I might be done.

Gt111

Neo Member

Hey I played this.. beat the game

Overall I thought it was ok

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
My nephew, for some bizarre reason, really likes The Avengers on PS5. He's ten. Anyways, he roped me into playing it with him and god the game is soulless. I decided to go back and replay the first part of the story mission, and one can tell that whoever wrote and designed the story missions really had passion and vision at first. Kamala feels like a genuine teenager, the fandom feels real, it's fun and vibrant, etc.

Then when that opening ends the game suddenly feels like some free to play browser-based schlock that is trying to get kids to buy Blorko Coins or whatever. Just absolute ass and balls.
Proof that you really love your nephew :messenger_grinning:

On my side instead of replaying Skyrim for the 56th time I decided to reactivate my old Elder Scrolls Online account to dive back into that world.

My level 8 Sorcerer is still there and I'm so lost but enjoying it in small doses. I'm also surprised at how many people are around.

Top Bottom