• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It's been a massive help, thanks. I'm gonna go back to it in a bit. These souls games are so different to anything I have ever played before. I think I have been trying to beat the first werewolf for about 4 hours 😂

Yeah shit's obtuse af which is cool. But now you know the basic mechanics and ways or making progress so you can go on. YW

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Remastered might be the wrong word but actually think it was. I just wouldn't recommend the OG one unless you wanted to kill some time. One of the summons can take 3 minutes.

The steam one is fine, it should have the ability to speed up battles. Wouldn't personally use any of the other conveniences.
i'm reading about how to mod it right now but don't have the energy to set it up at the moment. i'll maybe do it tomorrow. i really want to replace the character models so will do that. as i play it if anything bothers me i'll see what mods i can use. i'm not going to go too crazy with them though.

Last edited:
rDqSEHv.jpg

I've played this several times since it originally launched, but now that it's on PS+ with trophy support, I'm playing it again.

So glad the PS1 emulation ended up being great, at least in North America.

Batiman

Banned
shredders revenge ( gonna start today)
Picked up kirbys forgotten land for my son but gonna check it out later too.
Planning on jumping back into like a dragon after taking a little break from it. These damn cutscenes are long and take up so much time but I just really enjoy the charm of the game overall.

bender

What time is it?
Ico - Playing it via PS+ Premium and I think the last time I played through it was around the time the Ico/SOTC collection came out for the PS3. There were a few spots of serious slowdown that I don't recall occurring on that release. I rolled credits in a little over 5 hours.
Shredders Revenge - While a little simplistic, it's pure joy. I've been limiting myself to 2-3 levels at a time as to not get burned out.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I wanted some kind of variety racer I could pick up and play in short stints whenever I wanted. I remembered Rider's Republic so I gave it a shot. It helped me pull through a pretty nasty cold-bordering on the flu these past two days.

About the parts that matter, the racing, it's all solid. Whether you're on a downhill race on a dirt bike, doing tricks on a BMX bike, or skiing down trails with massive jumps, it all handles fine once the settings are tweaked to your liking. Oddly, however, walking around on your feet is weird - have to hold down on the L stick to move forward, and the X axis is reversed. I don't get how they thought that was a good idea, and the only way to fix it messes up the settings when using a ride or vehicle.

It's kind of like a MMO. One travels an open world map based loosely on the western USA. There's different activities to be found, landmarks to visit, and a few social hubs that I've found. You will see other players out in the world, even in races on terrain you may be traveling across at the time, but there's no way to physically interact with them. They may also simply blink out of your session quickly, or dissapear as they crash and eat shit nearby - only their brief cry of pain evidence that they ever existed at all.

Progression seems fine. So long as you come in the top three once in a while you'll be earning new bikes and other gear pretty quickly (during the first several hours I was earning so many new bikes, boards, jetpacks, and such, that it was a bit overwhelming). The game is easy enough for me, not the greatest of race game players (if I am being kind), to claim the #1 spot rather regularly on normal settings in the bot races. During the mass races, in which 64 players come together to race on tracks that typically include numerous types of vehicles, I usually place somewhere in the middle of the pack. In the smaller races against real people (or what appears to be ghosts of other players' gameplay in some cases) I win on occassion, just not as frequently as against the bots. So it's accessible, for you fellow racing scrubs out there.

The biggest problem is the writing. It's totally tubular. What people who were uncool in the 90's must have thought skaters and other X-atheletes talked like. The voice acting isn't even bad - the actors give earnest performances, the problem is it's all so damned corny and goofy. Like, if I tried to parody some of the writing right now it would be so over the top and absurd that you'd think I was being hyperbolic. I think they were purposefully writing it in such a way to engage very young children, keep it all PG rated, but they definitely should have given more effort. For example: there is what is supposed to be a loveable bunch of goofballs who host zany events and activities and let you join their ranks in a way. They ride around in colorful clothing and stupid masks and helmets, like a G-rated version of the guys from Jackass. Their name? The Shackdaddy Bandits. What does that even mean? No idea.

Anyways, as far as non-car racing games go it's one of the best I have tried. If you can ignore the corny setting and characters it's 3.5/5.

Last edited:

Jaybe

AC Origins. I just learned you can flip to eagle view after setting your mount to go to the next destination. Makes travel a lot nicer.

Need to do this TMNT game soon too

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
started FFVII on Steam. not the remake the original. downloaded 7th Heaven and some mods. when in the field it's quite stuttery even though i have the 60fps mod. also sometimes the HD textures will take a second to load in. sometimes none appear at all and the movie sections are jarring because they seem to be the originals.

i've never played the original and i'm only about 6 hours into the remake. i'm enjoying both :)

Labadal

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. I beat chapter 3. It's not an easy game, like I expected it to be. You actually have to think about your moves, which I like. I won't get the DLC, but the sequel interests me.

Cryio

My PS2 platform mascot journey continues!

Finished Jak II, started Jak 3 (all emulated). Now it seems Jak 3 is significantly more broken visually on both PCSX2 and RPCS3. Need to spend some time to see how I can get the best visuals or best performance.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Been trying xcloud. So far it's a great experience. Gears 2 runs at 1080p 60 so it seems quite a lot of 360 games run enhanced on xcloud

Using a wired connection on PC.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Booted up Capcom VS SNK 2 EO on the cube, which I hadn't done since back when it released and wow, it's even more fun than I remembered.
Only thing I don't like is some of the sprites looking out of place, also what have they done to Ryo? He seems way slower than in other games.

Music has some real bangers tho.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
I just started Dying Light 1 on Series X, the game plays pretty well and is scratching that open world type Falloutish itch.

I just finished Greedfall it was an amazing game but dragged too much in the very late game.

I'll turn on Snowrunner from time to time, but the clowns who make it are too busy squeezing the fanbase with DLC to fix the newest abortion of a patch they just put out trying to get 4k 60fps on Series X and PS5. It's so bad that the game is now worse than ever with frame drops and even reintroduced freezes.

I'll play Ring of Pain sometimes while relaxing with music or a podcast.

I'm jonesing for a good Metroidvania so I might replay Hollow Knight again or continue to slog through EnderLilies or F.I.S.T. I'm kind of excited that Souldiers is being revamped on June 25th due to all the backlash from fans.

If I'm feeling sadistic I'll turn on the shitshow that R6 Siege has become, it really needs to die and get replaced sooner than later.

Last edited:

chaseroni

My PS2 platform mascot journey continues!

Finished Jak II, started Jak 3 (all emulated). Now it seems Jak 3 is significantly more broken visually on both PCSX2 and RPCS3. Need to spend some time to see how I can get the best visuals or best performance.
Hey! If you don't mind me asking how did you go about playing Jak II?
Did you use the new PCSX2 or another emulator? The last time I tried playing I couldn't get it to run smoothly.

started FFVII on Steam. not the remake the original. downloaded 7th Heaven and some mods. when in the field it's quite stuttery even though i have the 60fps mod. also sometimes the HD textures will take a second to load in. sometimes none appear at all and the movie sections are jarring because they seem to be the originals.

i've never played the original and i'm only about 6 hours into the remake. i'm enjoying both :)
I highly recommend finishing the original first. Despite its misleading title, Final Fantasy VII Remake is a sequel to FFVII, not a remake.

I'm hopeful that the actual remake, Ever Crisis, comes to consoles.

Last edited:

reektann

Still playing Mad Max - had it on Steam forever and have really been enjoying it. The melee combat whilst simple is very moreish with the Batman feel and the madness of the car combat always end in a fireball flying over my head.

I was lucky enough to get a Steam Deck too and it works superbly on that - it’s been so hot recently here I don’t want the PC on so this on the deck has been a delight!

Last edited:

drganon

I was sick for a week, so not much. Recently got monark for the ps4, that's been pretty decent. I've beaten two bosses so far. Also finished up the last case in Phoenix Wright Justice for all on the trilogy collection.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
MlLB The Show 22 Road to The Show I'm in the playoffs with my redneck power hitter Butch Walker.
We're losing 9-0 in the 9th inning and I pop a solo homerun.

My teammates are going nuts like I cured cancer, solved world hunger and negotiated world peace.

It's goddamn embarrassing 😆

95mellow

Dusting off The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt as it's been years since I played it. There's something so relaxing about it. Other than that, I've been enjoying the insanity of Neon White. The Machine Girl soundtrack is a banger.

Starting the climb from Gold to Platinum for Street Fighter V, too. I really like the game but the netcode, at least in Europe, is damn inexcusable at times.

I'm tempted to start up a playthrough of Morrowind soon. I'm not sure which mods are considered essential these days - does anyone have advice? I want a vanilla-like experience.

Jennings

Metroud Dread.

So far the only thing I dread are running into the annoying E.M.M.I. robots that are lame, and boss fights without boss health bars.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
with FFVII (original) i think i have settled on the mods i want to use. i only played a little of it and have spent time modding it before i continue playing. i like to think i've made my own little FFVII remake :messenger_tears_of_joy: i know Part 2 of the remake/sequel is out next year but i won't be able to play it until it comes to PC so i'm just going to play through the original with mods. i made some comparison photos (i couldn't figure out how to take a proper screenshot so used my phone camera :messenger_tears_of_joy:)

2.jpg
1.jpg

4.jpg
3.jpg

if anyone is interested, i'm using 7th Heaven with these mods:

2022-06-19.png

EDIT: played a bit more today. lol i'm only 1h 30 mins into the original and already i'm further than i am in the remake.

in the original i just escaped the church with Aerith. in the remake i only just fell into the church.

i've played about 8 hours of the remake. i didn't realise how much stuff was added in the remake.

Last edited:

Daytonabot

Banned
With Dragon Quest (Switch), Phantasy Star (Switch), Final Fantasy (Pixel Remaster, Steam Deck), and Earthbound Origins done, I decided I was neglecting the western side of the 1980s RPGs. Bard's Tale (Remaster, Steam) is proving hard to get hooked on, but I'm sticking with it. I'm looking forward to Wasteland Remastered (Steam) next on that side.

I'm also trying to finish up Murder by Numbers (Steam Deck). It gets tough on the third case on the harder difficulty and without hints.

Up next is probably Dragon Quest II (Switch) and something AAA on Steam. It was going to be Days Gone, but I am also slowly co-oping State of Decay 2 with my brother, and that may be too many open world zombies.

Thabass

Just beat Horizon Forbidden West. Really enjoyed it, but could have gone without:

The crazy Kojima twists and fighting Metal Gear at the end

Other than that, I loved it.

In the past week I've platinumed:

Psychonauts 2 - one of the most imaginative 3D platformers I've ever played, props to MS for the Double Fine acquisition, I'll miss them on PlayStation.

MediEvil - absolutely loved this remake, surprised by the reviews, apparently the game was too challenging for some of these game journalists. Beautiful, old-school goodness.

This week I've started:

Jak II, LocoRoco, Ape Escape, Jak X. Checking out some of these new PS+ catalogue games really, revisiting old faves and trying stuff I somehow missed, seeing what grabs me, I generally don't like to have more than 2 games going at the same time and I see them to completion before selecting the next.

Horizon still sits unfinished which surprises me. I'm near the end but got distracted by other stuff, I should get back to it. It's a fantastic game but it just hasn't captivated me in the same way HZD did.

op22

Switching between 2D hordes of monsters in Nightmare Reaper and 3D hordes in Vermintide 2. Nightmare Reaper has a large assortment of weapons that feel great to use. One of them is fists with ninja stars between all fingers. It might be the best game ever made. The best parts of Vermintide 2 so far have been the clank of my giant wooden hammer hitting the iron faceplate of an enemy, switching to a gatling gun when my health is low to mow down a horde armed with spears and swords, and those things that suck the life out of me whenever I veer too far away from my teammates.

Rippa

Just finished OG Demon’s Souls on my PS3 for the first time. It was fantastic for its time. But…

I thank god BluePoint came along and gave the remake all of its improvements. Especially the quality of life improvements.

Now I’m off to play TMNT Shredder’s Revenge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom