• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

AndrewRyan

Completed the true ending of Returnal last night. After so many hours still loving the gameplay loop. Will mess around with the mods now starting with the Samus skin. Love this game!

Nico_D

Divinity Original Sin 2 once a week with my best friend. It’s will take us forever to get through it but it’s a blast every second. They blew tactical turn based combat and class/skill restrictions wide open. It’s amazing the variety of choice you have in combat. The setting and story are fine so far, and the humor is pretty good in a goofy way.

You too? Sale grab, I guess?

We are still at the fort, trying to go ahead underlevelled. No clue or any hint what the lvl should be at any given point. But no handholding.

We talked that just gotta empty the current area of any quests before moving on.

Yumi

You too? Sale grab, I guess?

We are still at the fort, trying to go ahead underlevelled. No clue or any hint what the lvl should be at any given point. But no handholding.

We talked that just gotta empty the current area of any quests before moving on.
Yeah, it look us a while to get out of Fort Joy. We now know there are multiple ways to do it.

We’re playing on the middle difficulty (forget what it’s called) and generally try to fight enemies the same level as us. 1 level higher we find really difficult, 2 levels higher impossible haha.

Once you have a full party and some versatility in skills it’s opens up, but remains difficult so far.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Dragon Age Origins (Series S)

Damn. This is classic Bioware. This game really needs a remake, or at least a remaster like Mass Effect got.

jonnyXx

Gold Member
Genshin Impact.

Started just over a month ago and I'm really hooked on it. The world is gorgeous and fun to explore. The combat is surprisingly in-depth, It's a blast exploiting all the elemental combos. And the music is beautiful.

However all the time gating mechanics are horrid. Bosses that you can only fight once a week?? Materials than can only be obtained on certain days of the week? I wish it just let me do what I want to do when I want to do it instead of on a damn schedule.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Exploring the esper cave now in Final Fantasy 6. It has a great story, very compelling and emotional. You constantly want to forward to see what's next. Fun cast of characters too, that make journey so much more fun. One thing do bother me though, and it's that you seldom have a full party. It doesn't take 5 minutes before some character leaves, some come back, some makes a sacrifice, some don't want to cooperate etc. And sometimes you forget to unequip these characters and you miss out on good gear. It's so goddamn annoying. So now I'm stuck with useless Strago instead of Shadow against Ultros, who's kicking my fucking ass.

Last edited:

drganon

Beat Digimon survive and got the "harmony" ending. Good game, but surprisingly dark. Going to do a second play through so I can get the true ending.

Beat Shadow of the Colossus over the weekend and been playing some Twisted Metal Black

Hell yeah - what did you think of Shadow of the Colossus, and was it your first time or a replay?

Legend of Dragoon
Just entered the Black Castle. Ooooooo.

:messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:

Final Fantasy VI pixel remaster (Switch)
quality of life updates are great. Studdering and some of the charater pixels not so much.

How distracting is it? I have been debating getting the physical pixel remaster but if it's not a good experience I might just skip it.

Completed the true ending of Returnal last night. After so many hours still loving the gameplay loop. Will mess around with the mods now starting with the Samus skin. Love this game!

It has some of the tightest gameplay I've ever experienced. Loved it enough to go for the true ending, and if you haven't already done so I also recommend to play through the DLC Tower of Sisyphus. I'm not one for roguelikes/lites and the tower is a roguelite within a roguelite, but the gameplay is SO good and it fleshes out the story more.

Mitsurux

How distracting is it? I have been debating getting the physical pixel remaster but if it's not a good experience I might just skip it.
Its very strange (The Studder in FFVI), there will be stretches were it is not happening or is not noticible, then there will be times when your just walking in a dungeon and it will studder, at the ends of the battle, during battles. I don't think it ruins the experience, but it can be pretty distracting at times. (I haven't played any of the other game that are part of the collection to see if the studder is there as well)

R6Rider

Gold Member
Playing through MGS2 for the first time ever.

Playing on my Series X via the 360 HD Collection.

Controls are kicking my ass. Leaning out from cover to shoot is more difficult than entire bosses in Dark Souls.

Yumi

Playing through MGS2 for the first time ever.

Playing on my Series X via the 360 HD Collection.

Controls are kicking my ass. Leaning out from cover to shoot is more difficult than entire bosses in Dark Souls.
I feel like I just become competent with the controls by the end of the game the few times I’ve played MGS2.

Especially at the start, every time I get caught or need to react, I go prone and die laying down.

WoJ

I feel like I just become competent with the controls by the end of the game the few times I’ve played MGS2.

Especially at the start, every time I get caught or need to react, I go prone and die laying down.
It replayed MGS2 a few years back and hadn't played it since 2003ish? It boggles my mind how back in the early 2000s the control scheme in that game became second nature to me. Playing it in a more modern era felt damn near impossible for most of the game.

Its very strange (The Studder in FFVI), there will be stretches were it is not happening or is not noticible, then there will be times when your just walking in a dungeon and it will studder, at the ends of the battle, during battles. I don't think it ruins the experience, but it can be pretty distracting at times. (I haven't played any of the other game that are part of the collection to see if the studder is there as well)

Interesting. Thanks for sharing, stutter and its backwoods bro judder annoy me to no end. It doesn't sound like a dealbreaker but it's making me second guess going for a physical copy at these prices.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I saw Call of Cthulu popped up in my PS+ Catalog. Not sure how long it's been there, but as a Lovecraft fan I filed it away as a "play later" game some time ago.

Early on it's good. Better than expected. I love detective stories, I love Lovecraft, and the vibe feels perfect so far. The new Horizon DLC will have to wait....

Fredrik

Assassin’s Creed Rebellion. I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I need to start a new Elden Ring playthrough or something.

Vyse

Gold Member
Playing some Ghostwire Tokyo.

I’m also doing another run through BotW in Master Mode to get a reminder of all the locations. I won’t be able to finish before TotK though, I think.
Playing Ghostwire too. It’s like supernatural far cry. Just finished BOTW. Have Redfall next and most likely Jedi Survivor after that. Should hold me off until the time sink of Diablo 4.

Naked Lunch

Splatterhouse [Turbografx 16]
An all time classic - but filled with insanely cheap hits all over the place. This game used to scare the hell out of me as a kid. Playing as Jason Voorhees is just too cool.
I cant finish it, yet - but im determined to beat this game once and for all.

Snatcher [Sega CD]
Got my Mega Everdrive Pro up and running. Finally playing thru Hideo's early masterpiece.

Armored Core Verdict Day [XB360]
A fresh playthru in anticipation for ACVI. I tried and failed at hardcore mode a few years back - wont ever attempt that mode again.

Halo Infinite [Series X]
Wrecking fools online at least a couple days a week.

Paasei

About to treat myself with Cult of the Lamb. Seems like an excellent game for the Steam Deck. Wanted to get Jedi Survivor for PC today, but I don’t trust the performance.

SCB3

Splitting my time between:

Star Wars Jedi Survivor:

The last game was my GotY in 2019 and one of my favorite games of all time almost instantly so yea been pretty hyped for this, so far I'm loving it on PS5

Cult of the Lamb

A perfect Steam Deck game, good for an hour whilst taking my 3 year old to bed, just about halfway through the second area and its getting tougher

And I am thinking of either starting Live A Live or finally tackling Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition before getting to the DLC for 2: Torna Golden County and finally Xenoblade Chronicles 3, in JRPG mood before FFXVI is out in June and Live A Live really impressed me with its Demo on Steam Deck and I can continue the save I had there

Hestar69

ff15 to see how much better ff16 will be

Don't remember the combat being this awful but it's the one thing about the game I am not liking. I'm on everyone's fav chapter 13 atm. Hope to beat it this weekend.

In prep for FF16, I’m back plowing through FF14. Currently made it through to Stormblood. Has been a fantastic experience. Works great on consoles (ps5).

Forsete

Gold Member
Horizon Burning Shores
aqfP5N3.jpg

Gran Turismo 7
WEwALy4.jpg

FF6 pixel remaster- first time playing.
This was when games didn't tell you where to go or how to get there. Figure it out!

Horizon FW- good game despite some glaring flaws. This game is a treat to play. Yes, the skills/materials/crafting is overly grindy and bogs down the otherwise great combat.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
World of Ruin in FF6. Got absolutely wrecked on the floating island, with an underleveled Shadow and Edgar. Forgot how rough old jrpgs were when you're not leveling your entire party. And sometimes I turned off enemy encounters because I wanted to explore in peace and it got me royally fucked. Ultima weapon just annihilated me in 2 seconds. The road before that also drained me on almost all items due to enemies being so goddamn powerful so had to restock on the ship, and then you have to do the whole fucking trek again! I remember having a rough time here as well when I played the original and then I didn't have the luxury of turning off random encounters so I can only imagine how painful that was.

But some of the design choices annoys me, particularly the fact that some characters leave the party only to return later. Like Shadow. Having him be absent for a long time and then return only for the final showdown on Floating Island is bullshit. That's not a good idea at all, don't know what the hell Square was thinking here. Sure, Terra in Esper form is powerful but when 2 party members die instantly and I have to waste her reviving the others, only for them to get killed again? Yeah, fuck that shit.

killatopak

Gold Member
I’m currently setting up Skyrim (again) for like the billionth time. I never tried the survival mode stuff that they added so might as well fire it up since I got sucked into TES lore vids and wikis.

Hohenheim

Currently having a blast with Metroid Prime Remastered on the Switch, while also playing Tinykin on PC (game pass) when I need a different vibe. Great stuff in very different ways. Tinykin have seriously amazing tight controls, and Metroid Prime was suprisingly easy to get into with a controller as well, although it's the first FPS in a long time that I control with a controller instead of keyboard/mouse. Kinda clunky in handheld mode, but it works. Game is absolutely brilliant.

Next PC game will be either The Forgotten World, Redfall or Penament, while Advance Wars re-camp or 13 Sentinels will be the next "on the go" game after Metroid is done.

bender

What time is it?
Finished RE4:R on Professional. Now that the newness has worn off, I greatly prefer the original but the remake is still a good time.

Tried out the PSN trial of Cult of the Lamb. Glad I never purchased it as crafting/base management + Binding of Isaac is definitely not my cup of tea.

Also tried out a bit of The Last Case of Benedict Fox. Seems pretty clunky out of the gate.

Top Bottom