• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Aenima

Started playing Nioh 2 just now, instant hooked to the game. Game feels harder than the 1st one, or maybe im just too distracted by the huge knockers of my character. Damn you character creator with boob slider.

-Zelda-

Banned
Finished the Future Redeemed Xenoblade Chronicles 3 DLC, and was really happy to hear Joanne Hogg singing the closing theme again like she did for Xenogears and Xenosaga episode 1. That, coupled with the post credits scene of that DLC has me hopeful for a Xenosaga trilogy remaster or remake. As of now, I have started Xenoblade Chronicles 1 remaster to go through the whole thing again, but my mind keeps wandering to Xenosaga and even Gears. Would love those games on the Switch. make it the ultimate console for Xeno games.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

The Medium

This game has Silent Hill written all over itself. I really dig the atmosphere and the dual world mechanics. It doesn't feature any action, like battling monsters, it's more of an investigation where you have to look for clues and keys in order to progress. I think the game is very cool so far. It feels fresh and sort of unique compared to the contemporary games that are currently trending. It just has this creepy weirdness to it. And the music by Akira Yamaoka totally sets the mood.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Zelda Tears of the Kingdom. It’s just like when Elden Ring came last year, I literally dropped everything else. Hopefully I’m done with it until Starfield comes out, if I’m not them Starfield will have to wait. Amazing game. 10/10

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Zelda Tears of the Kingdom. It’s just like when Elden Ring came last year, I literally dropped everything else. Hopefully I’m done with it until Starfield comes out, if I’m not them Starfield will have to wait. Amazing game. 10/10
I have the same dilemma, I also hoping to finish TotK before FFXVI comes but pace I’m going that’s gonna happen.

My plan is just between the two game.

Still working my way through Persona 4 Golden. I just done the video game dungeon and I hated it! At first it was cool because of course the gaming theme. Loved the music, the dungeon looked like it was built in Minecraft, and even the boss attacks looking like an old JRPG menu was cool.

I got all the way to the end and realised I needed a key so I had to rush through the levels to get back to floor 7 to find the boss. Went back to the door and realised I didn't get the key lol so had to go back for it and climb back up again. The boss fight itself was so tedious and I had to constantly deal with ailments.

So now I'm back home after having a cooking competition.

Compared to Persona 3 Portable which I played before this then 4 is a lot better in terms of gameplay. The dungeons are so easy to get through compared to Tartarus. I'm warming up to the characters in P4 but I miss the characters and dark vibe from P3. Even though I already know who the murderer is (I watched the anime years ago) I am still enjoying it.

I would guess I'm probably about half way through the game now.

In Tears of the Kingdom i feel like I'm going in circles still. My Switch says i've played at least 15 hours. Every time I try to move forward towards Rito Village I get distracted. Feeling a bit more confident fighting enemies now but I still need more hearts. Only saw 2 geoglyphs so far. I want to go back to the sky islands but any time I jump on a falling rock it only goes up so far before falling. Haven't explored the underground beyond doing the Robbie quest to get the Camera.

I am just at the Gizette? place beside the broken bridge into Rito Village but I feel like I'll be a while before I get in there. Found some cool gear to help against the cold so I'm not constantly eating cold resistance food.

Duchess

Finished Chained Echoes.

Now, I'm not about to teach you lot how to suck eggs, so I'm just going to add my voice to those praising this absolutely wonderful RPG. The overdrive bar really differentiated this game from all others, and came into its own during the most intense boss fights. Highly, highly recommended!

Bloodborne. I finally took the plunge and bought a PS4 just for it. Now that I have a PS4, I'm interested to hear of any other worthwhile exclusives. So far I know of Bloodborne and the gravity rush games. Anything else any of y'all would recommend

Bloodborne. I finally took the plunge and bought a PS4 just for it. Now that I have a PS4, I'm interested to hear of any other worthwhile exclusives. So far I know of Bloodborne and the gravity rush games. Anything else any of y'all would recommend
mpANSAr.jpg

You don't get them for free on your PS4, but all should be pretty cheap and include quite a few of the best PS4 games.

bender

What time is it?

The Last Guardian - It's probably my least favorite Team Ico game but it still oozes their style and charm and is really good in its' own right.
Until Dawn - One of the few games in this genre that I think are worthwhile. A really fun cast and twists that I didn't see coming.
Shadow of Colossus Remake - A remake to one of the best games ever created. I can't recommend this enough.

Finished Suikoden II

Took me around 43 hours. It's my 3rd favorite Suikoden game, with my number one favorite being Suikoden V and Suikoden III. Suikoden II and III are the only Suikodens where i wasn't able to get all 108 Stars of Destiny. For II, I was able to get 107, there's one I didn't know was recruitable who only appears during the SRPG BATTLE #3. I'm going to get the Remastered Rereleases so that I can 100% Suikoden II. Great game, great example of how a sequel goes bigger and better.

As for my next game I know I'm gonna to be playing Prey (PS4) next. I played a ton of long games in succession. Need to mix it up a bit. Thanks for that advice Danjin44 Danjin44

So far, I finished 22 games this year. I know I want to try to do the 52 game challange.

Last edited:

liquidzr0

Neo Member
On the last few missions of Cyberpunk 2077 and finishing up Pokemon Violet. Going to resume FF 3 before FF XVI. Sporadically playing Battlefield 2042. Next up will be finishing Horizon Zero Dawn DLC before continuing Horizon Forbidden West, Resident Evil 2 Remake, and TLOZ: BOTW before starting Tears of the Kingdom. May throw Mega Man BN in there too

Barakov

Gold Member
Just beat The Callisto Protocol. Definitely had its' moments but it's one of those games when you beat it, you're glad it's over.

Kinda crazy how much of a step back it is from Dead Space.

Last edited:

MrTentakel

Summer is coming and I spend more time outside but enjoy casual 30-60min sessions with:

Forza Horizon (XBX)
Bio-Prototype (PC)
Hitman (PS5)
(damn you, modest pelican!)

bbw_lover87

Last week started stardew valleg with the wife she doing almost all the shit im drinking beer and fishing imao, playing guilty gear strife on xbox and destiny 1 with my son

Naked Lunch

Final Fight CD [Sega CD]
This game hits so hard due to the cd soundtrack. Im not sure exactly why but it feels more fun to play this version over the others. I would have been legit blown away if I owned this back when it released. Playing this on my triple bypass modded Genesis is sublime.

Panic Restaurant [NES]
The stuff this little niche hidden gem does with sprite design and bosses on the NES is awesome. I was never able to find a copy of this in the wild way back in the NES days. There was that one Nintendo Power magazine I read over and over which displayed this game in all its glory. Im finally playing thru it all these years later. Gotta love the restaurant menu as a map stage break screen. Gameplay is a bit hit or miss but lots of creativity in this one.

Halo Infinite multiplayer [Series X]
Weekly noob beat downs. Looks like new maps are about to hit the rotation.

Eagerly awaiting Street Fighter 6. SF launches are one of the biggest deals in gaming - and they dont happen often. Very happy the series has returned to Xbox.

Elden Ring

It's my second attempt after dropping the game somewhere late game last time. I just arrived at the Academy and honestly, I'm already tired of the game's utterly obnoxious insistence on every other enemy having endless tanky combo strings. I absolutely love the world, atmosphere and I think it's a gorgeous game but they definitely doubled down on everything I haven't been liking about From's last few games.

Final Fight CD [Sega CD]
This game hits so hard due to the cd soundtrack. Im not sure exactly why but it feels more fun to play this version over the others. I would have been legit blown away if I owned this back when it released. Playing this on my triple bypass modded Genesis is sublime.
You just reminded me that I still have my original copy, box and all.

Hot Wheels Unleashed again since the DLC went on sale (Steam). Not worth the price so far, although I've only played are a few frustrating Looney Tunes courses.

Last edited:
Metroid Prime 2

This one I just beat, it was the original GameCube version with HD texture pack. I bought it Day 1 back in the day but never finished it and kind of remembered it as equal amounts brilliant and frustrating. After revisiting Prime 1 recently, I was bound and determined to finish this one and my impression stands after beating it. It's often brilliant, tons of fun and just great. At the same time, I found it frustrating too often, overly complex and obtuse and lacking the flow of Prime 1.

Complaining about backtracking in a Metroid game seems ridiculous at first but Prime 2 takes it to an absurd level. There often is no elegant nor speedy way to get to a far-flung place unlike earlier entries. The main issue though is that the dual world approach will often have you backtrack through the same shit seemingly a million times just to get back to a portal. Those rooms are often stuffed with complex enemies that can be run & gun tackled and sometimes they're combined with platforming and attacks that can knock you out of said platforming. Sanctuary Fortress for example is kind of a marvel of level design but the more time you spend in it, the more the dual world approach becomes a fucking chore.

Then there are the bosses. They somehow get worse as the game progresses with the one, two punch of the final boss being questionable as hell design-wise imo.

It's a weird game overall. I'd often absolutely love it because the basic formula is still amazing but there are many overly complex additions on top that only take away from the prior game's great flow. A great example is the room where you get the screw attack. There's this whole back and forth between light/dark and portals but it feels like an annoying waste of time rather than a clever puzzle and I remember thinking...okay, why, so I can watch that animation/load screen for the millionth time several times in a row?

Still, I'd be hard-pressed to give it anything lower than a 7/10 because the Prime 1 base is so fucking strong.

stn

Trying to beat Final Fantasy 15 (PS4) as soon as I can, on chapter 9. It is good, I love the feeling of adventure that it gives off. That said, some of the gameplay elements are shallow. Still quite good. Digging the story, too.

[Sigma]

Was thinking of starting Oninaki today but I kinda starting to get the urge to play Helldivers again. It's been years so it will be like I started over if I do lol. Still waiting on the mythical River City Girls 2 60fps update:(
That River City Girls 2 patch comes out the day before Street Fighter 6 releases. Ain't that some shit.🤣😒😑 That patch took 5+ months too.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Grinding out Platinum trophy for Returnal.

Ridiculously good game, sublime mechanics and a genuinely interesting slice of SF.

The secret best PS5 exclusive release.

Paltheos

Coming up on 150 hours in Zelda. I'm at the point of clean-up where I look up the stuff I'm missing, make a list, and look up the general locations. The game might be starting to lose steam for me. I'm close enough to seeing all the non-obscene, 100% content though. Might be able to do it all this weekend if I continue non-stop playing.

Metroid Prime 2

This one I just beat, it was the original GameCube version with HD texture pack. I bought it Day 1 back in the day but never finished it and kind of remembered it as equal amounts brilliant and frustrating. After revisiting Prime 1 recently, I was bound and determined to finish this one and my impression stands after beating it. It's often brilliant, tons of fun and just great. At the same time, I found it frustrating too often, overly complex and obtuse and lacking the flow of Prime 1.

Complaining about backtracking in a Metroid game seems ridiculous at first but Prime 2 takes it to an absurd level. There often is no elegant nor speedy way to get to a far-flung place unlike earlier entries. The main issue though is that the dual world approach will often have you backtrack through the same shit seemingly a million times just to get back to a portal. Those rooms are often stuffed with complex enemies that can be run & gun tackled and sometimes they're combined with platforming and attacks that can knock you out of said platforming. Sanctuary Fortress for example is kind of a marvel of level design but the more time you spend in it, the more the dual world approach becomes a fucking chore.

Then there are the bosses. They somehow get worse as the game progresses with the one, two punch of the final boss being questionable as hell design-wise imo.

It's a weird game overall. I'd often absolutely love it because the basic formula is still amazing but there are many overly complex additions on top that only take away from the prior game's great flow. A great example is the room where you get the screw attack. There's this whole back and forth between light/dark and portals but it feels like an annoying waste of time rather than a clever puzzle and I remember thinking...okay, why, so I can watch that animation/load screen for the millionth time several times in a row?

Still, I'd be hard-pressed to give it anything lower than a 7/10 because the Prime 1 base is so fucking strong.

Agreed on some of the light-dark world traversal but the more modular design should have made backtracking easier overall. Temple Grounds is the overall hub but as you progress through the game you can unlock shortcuts that connect the other regions directly. Seekers open up a path between Agon and Torvus, Power Bombs open up shortcuts from Sanctuary to the other two, and obv. Light Suit opens up direct teleports between all the main energy controllers. Prime 1's rough here by comparison - a point that was hammered home to me when I played the Remastered release and didn't get Space Jump first like I do every time I played the GCN release. You have to make *3* trips across half of Magmoor, across the exact same rooms, after clearing the Chozo Ruins. By the end of the game, some areas just don't connect directly at all too. There's an appeal to that kind of design too but the lengthy trips if you want to get anywhere can be a hassle.

Some of the design in Echoes could be cleaner though, yeah. The devs clearly wanted to play with the other world mechanic but the long loading times tended to make things more tedious. Maybe it would have been better if the transitions were faster but I don't think they had that luxury on the GCN hardware. Those games are built to keep only two rooms loaded at a time, and Retro already was cutting corners as is to keep the game running smoothly. Notice how two, large rooms are never directly adjacent to each other? On original hardware, you can crash Prime 1 relatively easily by Boost Balling too quickly through some of the connecting tunnels in the Chozo Ruins (interestingly, I don't think this ever happened to me in Phendrana).

A little surprised to hear you don't like some of the endgame bosses. I'll give you Emperor Ing as I've never been a fan of his flailing tentacle form that didn't like lock-on or his final form that always seemed to have some non-deliberate obstruction blocking his vulnerable spot, but most of the other endgame bosses are pretty cool. Spider Guardian and Power Bomb Guardian are fun puzzle fights, Quadraxis is commonly cited as a favorite among fans for its scope and grandeur, and Chykka... isn't quite late-game but it's my favorite fight in the game for how fast-paced and involved the second phase is.

Ended up platinuming Spiderman on PS4. Absolutely loved it. Wasn't planning on buying/playing Miles Morales but now I'm definitely looking to do that. And hyped for Spiderman 2. Also jumping back intermittently to TotK still and likely will for a while.

Random question here.. I can get the PS4 version (of Miles) for 20, which I gather includes the PS5 upgrade for when I get the PS5 soon.. other option is to go ahead and buy the Ultimate edition on PS5 but as far as I can tell the only benefit that offers me is Spiderman Remastered included as a download (it's a download, right?) Since the PS4 version will include a free upgrade to Miles PS5 right?

Can I use my Spiderman PS4 to buy a standalone Spiderman Remastered on PS5 shop? I don't really want it because it's digital only but still maybe interested depending. Do I have about the right of it understanding wise though?

Thanks! 🙏

bender

What time is it?
Zelda isn't grabbing me like the first one but it was difficult to imagine that would happen again. I'm still really enjoying my time with the game but I find myself drifting to other titles.

I finished Progear on the Capcom Arcade Stadium. It's really fun but tough as nails. I pumped in so many virtual quarters to get a clear.

Tried out some We Love Katamari REROLL + Royal Reverie and it's as wonderful as ever.

And I played a bit of SF6. I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed but having fun. Can't wait for some friendly matches this weekend.

Stratostar

Picked up a used PS5 copy of The Callisto Protocol for 25 bucks last month on a whim, started it this week and I’ll be damned, this game fucking rocks.
Having an absolute blast with it in performance mode with headphones. (IQ is equally great in both modes, unlike RE4’s comparatively blurry perf. mode)

The quality of this game’s sound design cannot be overstated. it’s so immersive, it legit sounds like I’m there. Everything sounds exactly as it should, right down to every melee hit, stomp, squish, and mechanical noise in the environment. Dualsense haptics are also phenomenal.

I’ll share more thoughts when I’m done with it but I’m already starting to regret not supporting this at launch.
Will definitely be grabbing the story DLC later this summer.

Top Bottom