• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Finished Hogwarts Legacy yesterday and overall would say that it was a great game, even though the 2nd part of the map ruined it a bit for me. Waaayyyy to many enemies and bullet sponge fights. Granted, I didn't use most of the games systems like potions and so but still.... Final boss was pretty epic.

Anyway, bought and booted System Shock Remake now. I know I only have an old GFX card (970) but damn, why is this game so taxing? I didn't even look so good. It's summer here and I really don't need the additional heating from my rig. Can't play more than an hour before starting to sweat like a pig.... May put this game aside until the console release. Dunno...

LostDonkey

GTAIV Ultimate edition PC.

Some people told me that it's shit because the licenses to the music didnt get renewed so the radio stations just repeat the ads over and over but it's not true.

COUSIN!!!

GTAIV Ultimate edition PC.

Some people told me that it's shit because the licenses to the music didnt get renewed so the radio stations just repeat the ads over and over but it's not true.

COUSIN!!!
I played the two versions and they dilute the soundtracks of the original release by combining DLC soundtrack with base game soundtrack, removed tracks, and more frequent ads. Radio Vladivostok and K109 The Studio are gutted. I literally have to play a cracked version because they fucked up my retail version so bad with soundtrack changes, Rockstar Games Launcher implementation, and awful framerate inconsistency. The original version was by no means polished on release, but this version is even worse than that.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
System Shock Remake

I have to admit I struggled with the game for large parts of medical because everything just looks the same and since there aren't a lot of tutorials I didn't get the puzzles. But now I'm in research and boy... I'm hooked. I never played SS1 but 2 is one of my favourite games of all time and this is now basically just like it. YISSS!!!

Tried out Strangers of Paradise.. wtf is this? Lol

Graphics were really jaggy and bad - though after applying the first patch it looks much better/smoother. Gameplay is.. interesting. At first it was slightly overwhelming but I began to get used to it slowly. I started on hard and didn't find it to be difficult until I came to the first boss - even that wasn't difficult but I had to learn how to play the game a bit better to proceed which is good. Glad I didn't choose a lower setting for this one. Still don't completely understand the jobs and how to get certain ones even though it's unlocked in the tree.

The story seems .. laughable interpretation of FF. Granted FF was nothing special, but I can't help but think the game would almost be better off without even having it. It just seems bad.

But the gameplay itself isn't bad, I'll continue to check it out and see where it goes.

engstra

Completed the Iki Island DLC for Ghost of Tsushima. After feeling fatigue of completing the main game, I have to say that I really enjoyed this area. It felt pretty fresh with the new activities and mechanics. Thought the more marine landscape was more dramatic and really clicked with me.
Happy to say that I now have 100%ed both main game and DLC and can finally delete it off the console and move on to new games.

Started playing Black Mirror as it was going off the plus subscription soon. It's a janky point & click dark/lovecraftian mystery game but having fun with it.

stn

Completed the Iki Island DLC for Ghost of Tsushima. After feeling fatigue of completing the main game, I have to say that I really enjoyed this area. It felt pretty fresh with the new activities and mechanics. Thought the more marine landscape was more dramatic and really clicked with me.
Happy to say that I now have 100%ed both main game and DLC and can finally delete it off the console and move on to new games.

Started playing Black Mirror as it was going off the plus subscription soon. It's a janky point & click dark/lovecraftian mystery game but having fun with it.
For Ghost of Tsushima, how tough was the multiplayer DLC? I have a goal to 100% the game and am fearing those trophies in particular.

On My Way Link GIF by GIPHY Gaming

Tried out Strangers of Paradise.. wtf is this? Lol

Graphics were really jaggy and bad - though after applying the first patch it looks much better/smoother. Gameplay is.. interesting. At first it was slightly overwhelming but I began to get used to it slowly. I started on hard and didn't find it to be difficult until I came to the first boss - even that wasn't difficult but I had to learn how to play the game a bit better to proceed which is good. Glad I didn't choose a lower setting for this one. Still don't completely understand the jobs and how to get certain ones even though it's unlocked in the tree.

The story seems .. laughable interpretation of FF. Granted FF was nothing special, but I can't help but think the game would almost be better off without even having it. It just seems bad.

But the gameplay itself isn't bad, I'll continue to check it out and see where it goes.
You unlock most advanced jobs by spending upgrade points in the two basic job trees required for the advanced job. For example Thief advanced job is unlocked with both a node in Pugilist job tree and a node in Duelist job tree. A few like Hunter advanced job and Black/White Mage advanced jobs are unlocked directly from Marksman job tree and Mage job tree, respectively.

Functionally, I prefer some of the basic jobs over some of the advanced or expert jobs they lead to. For example, the Lancer basic job is very versatile.

Last edited:
You unlock most advanced jobs by spending upgrade points in the two basic job trees required for the advanced job. For example Thief advanced job is unlocked with both a node in Pugilist job tree and a node in Duelist job tree. A few like Hunter advanced job and Black/White Mage advanced jobs are unlocked directly from Marksman job tree and Mage job tree, respectively

Functionally, I prefer some of the basic jobs over some of the advanced or expert jobs they lead to. For example, the Lancer basic job is very versatile.
Thanks, I did finally figure out this by playing more, but it wasn't immediately obvious to me that I needed to unlock the jobs in multiple trees, so I was wondering why I couldn't try the knight. Seems like quite an interesting game as far as the gameplay goes. I am on the Dark Elf quest now, I think I'm at the boss but I shut it off for now as the XVI demo downloaded and I had to rapidly exit. 😆

Crayon

So I've been fascinated by shadow of the beast since back in the day. I didn't actualy play it till like 2000. I remember being let down because it was so stiff controlling and rife with cheap hits. Sure did look nice on that genesis though!

I also had a lynx when I was a kid and the game was available there, but I had never tried it. Well I still have that same lynx and let me tell you lynx collecting is great as there is all kinds of nib old stock out there. So I picked up a copy of the game. I put it in a few weeks back and it was much like the genesis one. Stiff. Unfair. But damn did it again look nice on that lynx!

So I figured this game had more historical value, as an early game from psygnosis and reflections, displaying their prowess from amiga demos in the form of a complete game. But I grabbed for that lynx last nite and stuck this cart in to give it another go. And.... I think I'm getting it. All these wonderful toys at home and I want to play sotb on my lynx when I get off work lol.

Nico_D

Finished Planet of Lana. It was a good game, some repetition here and there but enjoyed my time with it.

Next is either Outer Worlds or Weird West. I have both installed. Recommendations?

Superkid93

Neo Member
Jumped into Resident Evil 5 after rolling credits on RE4 Remake. Can't quite decide if the game is trash or awesome?

Last edited:
Finished the Directors Cut of Ghost of Tsushima. I highly recommend it especially if your a fan of old samurai movies.

Now I'm playing Assasins Creed Odyssey. Haven't played enough for a verdict but I hate how MTX are shoved in your face. There's ads for them everywhere in the menu system. I hope i don't feel like I'm screwed if I don't use MTXs.

Corian33

Hooked on Diablo IV. Keep thinking about playing something else but it’s just too easy to jump into D4 and immediately be having fun. World Tier 3 opens up a whole new spectrum of gear and character building that is so tantalizing. It’s not just make number more big, it’s finding all these legendary perks that you can combo together into a new fighting style for your character.

stn

I played a mix of Diablo IV (XSX), Battle Chasers: Nightwar (PS4), and Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning (PS4). I'll continue with the same games until FF16 releases.

WoodyStare

I’ve been digging through the backlog this year and finally caught up on some classics, also mixing it up with some new releases:

Silent Hill 2 (PS2)
Silent Hill 3 (PS2)
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC)
Resident Evil 4 (Wii)
Ghostwire Tokyo (XSX)
The Witcher 2 (XSX)
Spider-Man (PS5)
Nioh (PS5)
Killzone 2 (PS3)
God of War: Ragnarok (PS5)
Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)
Portal 2 (XSX)

Enjoyed all of them. Currently switching between Jedi Survivor on Xbox and Metal Gear Solid 5 on PS. The latter is unexpectedly taking up a lot of my time but I can’t complain when I’m having this much fun. I’m not even halfway through and it’s arguably the best stealth game I’ve ever played.

I’ve been digging through the backlog this year and finally caught up on some classics, also mixing it up with some new releases:

Silent Hill 2 (PS2)
Silent Hill 3 (PS2)
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC)
Resident Evil 4 (Wii)
Ghostwire Tokyo (XSX)
The Witcher 2 (XSX)
Spider-Man (PS5)
Nioh (PS5)
Killzone 2 (PS3)
God of War: Ragnarok (PS5)
Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)
Portal 2 (XSX)

Enjoyed all of them. Currently switching between Jedi Survivor on Xbox and Metal Gear Solid 5 on PS. The latter is unexpectedly taking up a lot of my time but I can’t complain when I’m having this much fun. I’m not even halfway through and it’s arguably the best stealth game I’ve ever played.

2023 has been a really tough year for backlogs, lots of great HUGE AAA releases. Kudos to making great progress so far.

I am 150 hours into TOTK, finally starting to feel a bit fatigued so I'll probably break and continue playing some other games (FFXVI and my enormous backlog) to change things up before going back. I can't believe just how enormous the game is, between sky/land and caves/depths.

Mr Hyde

Been playing Sunset Overdrive now for a couple of days. Had trouble getting in to it when I first bought it a couple of months ago, didn't like the overly colorful art style and cringy characters. But the more I've played, the more I've enjoyed it. You can clearly see the Ratchet and Clank DNA in this, with all the zany weapons at your disposal. The traversal is also so good, when it finally clicks and you've unlocked a couple of abilities, you zip through the world in lots of cool ways, grinding and gliding all over the place.

The graphics and art style has grown on me and it looks incredible from time to time. The rich colors really pops on the screen at higher resolution. The humor and the characters you meet are both funny and completely deranged, especially the main character has some really funny dialogue that's been making me laugh out loud several times. And the customization is top notch, with lots of hilarious gear to wear.

I think I'm starting to fall in love with this game.

Last edited:
Diablo 4 peppered with Street Fighter 6, both are GOTY contenders. In two days though everything else gets pushed to the side, Final Fantasy for life ⚔️

Diablo 4, Tears of the Kingdom, and Persona 4 Golden.

I'm about to do the dungeon in December. I'm on 12/20. I know I should finish it on 12/22 but I am giving myself a couple days to do it now I've maxed out most of my social links.

bender

What time is it?
I finished the We Love Katamari remake. Such a wonderful game. My favorite level was rolling up the mini-Sumo Wrestler who just wanted to win against the bigger guy.

Powerwash simulator finally got its' hooks into me as well. I still think they have a lot they could do to improve the sequel like washing top to bottom on objects but it still gives off the joy of popping bubble wrap.

Playing a bunch of Street Fighter. While I think the single player is dumb fun, it's way too fucking long.

Also playing Diablo IV co-op with a buddy. That thread we had on the Zelda musou games kind of put a bow on my feelings about Diablo progression and level scaling in that it reminds me of the mindless slog that is a musou game.

Also started the System Shock remaster on my Deck. It actually performs well if you set your frame cap to 40FPS. The only issue is the UI fonts are just too small for that device. I'll have to see if there is a tweak for it in an .ini file as there aren't any scaling options in the menus.

The Wonderful 101 finally clicked with me recently. It’s so good, and I can’t stop playing it.

I’ve also been going back to finish the achievements for Dishonored 2, which I definitely did not give enough credit when it released originally (in part due to technical issues).

Last edited:

IAmRei

resuming tales of arise, havent finish it yet because few weeks ago i got hyped by dragons dogma, and replayed the first until ng++ want to play stranger of paradise, but of course it could hold ToA for me again, i think i want to finish it before i can play FFXVI

RAIDEN1

I'm finding it challenging to truly sink into God of Bore....(Sorry I mean War) the 2018 edition.....as one Neo Gaffer once said in a thread somewhere here that the games are just one slog fight after another....or one-mini-boss after another and the combat is just not gripping or exciting for me as say it was in Spiderman games, or even Batman for that matter...some really dumb decisions in the game.....in terms of if you select the setting for more story than combat, certain sections are still dam controller throwing difficult than they were previously...ie the section when you are trying to free a dragon, and in one of the hidden caves on the side resides a mini boss....I don't regret not purchasing it in 2018 and I never brought any of the games in the PS2 or 3 days.....so I am not sure if I want to continue on with it, or just sell it on.......where as when I fired up Mass Effect 3 for only my 2nd ever playthrough of that game few days ago...I found a grip to it that I don't get with God of War 2018.....so yeah thinking about abandoning it and watching rest of the story on YouTube...

Last edited:

checkcola

Mass Effect 1 from the Legacy Collection on my Xbox Series X (haven't played that game in forever), having to use a check list to keep track of planets I've explored. LOL

Also do the daily quests on Fortnite, always a nice little bit of mindless fun where you don't think too much.

Started up FF VI hoping I could beat it before XVI comes out. Not sure that's possible. It's been a long time since I played VI, but it's definitely the toughest of all the first VI games right out the gate - I'm not spending any additional time to level or anything, but the first several boss encounters required certain abilities to be used (like rune) or you are roasted quick, damage numbers seem high, I like it a lot. 👍

Top Bottom