• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Alpha Male

Series X
Battlefield 2042
Halo Infinite multiplayer
Super Mega Baseball 4
Forza Horizon 5
Jedi Survivor

PS5
XCOM 2 War of the Chosen

Switch OLED handheld
Tears of the Kingdom

Krathoon

Actually, I played some Witchhaven and Anvil of Dawn.

(blows out the cobwebs)

I was thinking about playing some Realms of Haunting.

Started up FFXIII. Still holds up for for me. Best OST ever.

I plan to replay that soon. I was so disappointed at launch I sold it as soon as I beat it, but recently got another copy and I'm going to give it another run and see if I enjoy it more. I always liked the battle system so at least I know I will enjoy that aspect.

Octopath Traveler, still playing it and while there are some things I'd change I'm really enjoying it. I only started it a few days ago and I'm already at 20 hours, fun little game. I love some of the talents they have - especially scrutinize and steal, I enjoy how they are integrated into the gameplay and just in general love looting everything from the townsfolk. 😆

I plan to replay that soon. I was so disappointed at launch I sold it as soon as I beat it, but recently got another copy and I'm going to give it another run and see if I enjoy it more. I always liked the battle system so at least I know I will enjoy that aspect.

Octopath Traveler, still playing it and while there are some things I'd change I'm really enjoying it. I only started it a few days ago and I'm already at 20 hours, fun little game. I love some of the talents they have - especially scrutinize and steal, I enjoy how they are integrated into the gameplay and just in general love looting everything from the townsfolk. 😆
My advice is play it with another game. Play a chapter of XIII then take a tiny break and go back to something else. Then back to XIII again. Avoid a little burnout on the battles and you'll enjoy it more. You wont get lost with a couple days break inbetween lol. The sequels are also fun.

Reactions: Isa
My advice is play it with another game. Play a chapter of XIII then take a tiny break and go back to something else. Then back to XIII again. Avoid a little burnout on the battles and you'll enjoy it more. You wont get lost with a couple days break inbetween lol. The sequels are also fun.
I did order XIII-2 on accident when trying to get this last year, so I may give that a try too.

Crayon

God damn FF7R on hard mode is pretty damn hard. Level is capped. You have to fight and scrounge for every mp. The benches don't even give you mp. And the no items! On top of that the enemie difficulty is cranked up enough that it could have been hard mode on it's own. It's great when you puzzle out a fight after 3-5 tries, but there have been a few times now where I'm like "I don't think I can do this" and I'm ready to give up.

I played this a few hours today. It's a buck on Fanatical in a bundle. Avoid the other motorcycles to reach checkpoints racer. I paid 60 cents for it because I got five games. Works on Steam Deck.

My brain is fried as F. Goodnight!

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Finished OG Demon's Souls. Felt great to revisit this gem after playing the shit out of the remake. But it does feel very dated now, even compared to the later Souls-entry. From Software's impeccable art design hasn't really begun flourishing here so the graphics are kinda dull, with classic PS3-brownish aesthetics smeared all over. It looks really bad sometimes. And then you have stiff combat, stiff animations, 4-way directional rolling, strict item burden and equip burden, travelling to the nexus just to reload an area, dull magic etc.

The remake is just night and day when compared. Bluepoints work is more than just a massive face lift. They made sure the gameplay was up to snuff too, with improved animations, omnidirectional rolling, magic casting being fun and fast, teleporting between archstones without visiting the nexus etc. It's easily the greatest remake ever made and it obliterates the original in every way possible.

Gorgon

Finished replaying Skyrim and Fallout 4 on XSX with mods (mod policy is better on Xbox than PS, unfortunately, otherwise I'd play them on the PS5). May go back to Skyrim for more fuckery soon since I didn't end the actual main story this time or the first time I played it on PS3.

Now replaying The Witcher 3 on PS5. Bought the DLC on sale, which I didn't play before because my PS4 broke down back in the day.

Also bought Kingdom Come: Deliverance on sale, as well as the DLC pack. KC2 may be around the corner and I didn't play the original much the first time because it was dropped from PSN Extra, so I took advantage of the recent sale that is still going on. Will play it after TW3 and Starfield.

EDIT: Still have to finish my replay of the Mass Effect trilogy too :messenger_grinning_sweat: Damn, so much shit to play.

Last edited:

Duchess

Still on Guardians of the Galaxy. Enjoying it a lot, though it could've done with a bit more time in the oven. Square-Enix should've spent more time polishing this, instead of pushing that Avengers game.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Replaying Castle of Illusions remake. I love the Disney games of old and this is not an exception. Great platformer with a very cozy atmosphere. I miss these games with Mickey Mouse. Magical Quest, Mickey's Wild Adventures, World of Illusions. Classic games that somehow just stopped being made. With the tech available today you could craft beautiful 2D animated platformers, but no, Disney today is just cape shit and Star Wars.

So I'll admit that I don't know shit about Final Fantasy and the last one I played was Final Fantasy 7 on the PS1. My buddy told me that he thought I'd like the new game and explained that each game has its own self contained story and that this one had some Game of Thrones vibes. I ended up playing a bit of the demo and really liking it so I'll probably go ahead and get the full game soon. I honestly thought that Final Fantasy games were a continuation of one long ass story...

BlakeofT

I've been working on the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster collection on Switch. I skipped over 2 since I heard it's leveling was weird. So far I've completed 1, 3, 4 and now I'm pretty far into 5, which is by far the best one so far IMO. Looking forward to 6! I'm hoping that 7, 8, 9, 10/10-2 and 12 go on sale on Switch within the next month or so. From what I can tell there's a Square Enix sale every 2-3 months, and it's been 2 months now. I think only the first of the 13 trilogy goes on regular sales on Xbox, so I'm not sure what platform I'll try to play those on...

I've never played these before now other than starting 7 a few times when I was too young to play it around when it came out, and 15 which I guess technically counts. Very happy that I'm enjoying the games so far!

Muffdraul

I should be playing FFXVI, but after 25 or so hours, I pissed my pants in boredom and doubt I'll ever go back to it.

Instead, I've somehow ended up juggling re-plays of TLOU Pt 1, Dead Space Remake, and (lol) Watch Dogs 2. And once in a while I go back to my TotK post-game file to mop up unfinished caves and look for the guy holding up Hudson Construction signs.

I've been working on the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster collection on Switch. I skipped over 2 since I heard it's leveling was weird. So far I've completed 1, 3, 4 and now I'm pretty far into 5, which is by far the best one so far IMO. Looking forward to 6! I'm hoping that 7, 8, 9, 10/10-2 and 12 go on sale on Switch within the next month or so. From what I can tell there's a Square Enix sale every 2-3 months, and it's been 2 months now. I think only the first of the 13 trilogy goes on regular sales on Xbox, so I'm not sure what platform I'll try to play those on...

I've never played these before now other than starting 7 a few times when I was too young to play it around when it came out, and 15 which I guess technically counts. Very happy that I'm enjoying the games so far!
II is totally worth playing. If anything it is much easier than ever and you don't need to even think about "the leveling". Imo the game gets a bad rep but it is absolutely solid. It is a good precursor to IV. I consider III to be a follow up to I spiritually and IV the same to II. They develop similar ideas as the game prior.

Roberts

Played a lot of Forza Horizon 5 after a long break. New dlc is great and maybe it is just me but it feels like they have worked on performance mode - it just feels like it looks better than it did at launch.

Finally started Steelrising. I have a soft spot for Dark Souls rip-offs and this one's unique setting and overall gameplay works for me. I'm still at the beginning but already hooked.

BlakeofT

II is totally worth playing. If anything it is much easier than ever and you don't need to even think about "the leveling". Imo the game gets a bad rep but it is absolutely solid. It is a good precursor to IV. I consider III to be a follow up to I spiritually and IV the same to II. They develop similar ideas as the game prior.
I probably will go back and give it a try. I like that it uses the MP system where each spell has a cost, rather than having MP for different tiers of spells like 1 and 3. I respect that 1 and 3 are different in this regard, but I much prefer the "standard" MP system.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Finished Castle of Illusions. Short and sweet. Very fun platformer oozing with that classic Disney charm. Probably going to venture down the Mickey Mouse path and replay all his classic games.

I was watching the 20 hour Patrician TV doc on Skyrim and felt the need to mess around with it in-between what I'm currently playing.

I remembered I hadn't fully done the Dark Brotherhood quest line this recent playthrough so I rolled a character to go do so, but man that line is so disappointing.. it feels so short when you don't factor in the really low effort "go kill x at y" that the Hammerfell dude gives you. There are certainly a few highlights, but it really made me hungry for the meal I won't be able to have for a long time yet, Elder Scrolls VI.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Continuing my Mickey Mouse adventure, this time with Mickey's Wild Adventures on PS1. It's a port of Mickey Mania with additional content. Looks better too, with improved animations and sprite work. I play this game from time to time. Going through some of Mickey's most famous movies is a lot of fun. The game is hard as shit, a staple when it comes to retro gaming. Bit since I played it so much it's not that difficult anymore. The later levels however are pretty rough.

sedg87

Banned
Diablo 4
Started leveling a druid. Gone with one of the guides on Icy Veins - the pulverize one. It's pretty fun although it's quite simplistic.

Breath of Fire 3
Get to the end of a dungeon. "Ryu isn't smart enough to operate this." SIGH.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
There are so many mini stories wherever I go. Exploration has been so rewarding because of that. Just being in the world is so immersive. Piper and Valentine are pretty cool. I want to finish it before Starfield.

The main story is a proper train wreck but I'd recommend to experience it at least once. The exploration aspect is the main reason to play Fallout 4. I sink 300+ hours in that game and I'm still finding new stuff. Try survival mode if you into this kind of thing. It's by far the best way to play.

The main story is a proper train wreck but I'd recommend to experience it at least once. The exploration aspect is the main reason to play Fallout 4. I sink 300+ hours in that game and I'm still finding new stuff. Try survival mode if you into this kind of thing. It's by far the best way to play.

I would definitely try survival if I replay it and would add a lot of mods as well. Sad to hear about the main story. It got interesting
just now when it made me rethink whether I should have killed Kellogg when we go in his memories.
But I understand if it is downhill from here.

M.W.

Games you mean. At least 10.

The main ones are FF16, Diablo 4, Rocket League, BF2042. Have a few NDA betas I'm playing and then the rotation on the Ally.

• FFXIII (chapter 4). Playing a chapter every day or two. The art style is jaw dropping.
  • Planet of Lana (2 hours in). Really picks up after the first hour. Extremely enjoyable.
  • Sword and Fairy (5 hours in). The most impressive Chinese made game I've ever played. Art style is so good.
  • Splatoon 3. Salmon Run is still great. First time back in a while. The new stage is brilliant. Really makes you think through some interesting positioning.
Going to probably go all in on Exoprimal next week.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I would definitely try survival if I replay it and would add a lot of mods as well. Sad to hear about the main story. It got interesting
just now when it made me rethink whether I should have killed Kellogg when we go in his memories.
But I understand if it is downhill from here.

Oh yeah, it gets much, much worse. Also the problem is: there was no choice. You had to kill him in order for the story to progress. It's completely on rails and you have no options. You can't say no. Past Fallout games are much better at giving you options on how you interact with story. Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas are amazing at it.

Anyway, enjoy, it's a great game to just wonder around, explore, kill some stuff, loot and build. I'd suggest survival ASAP because: a) you can't fast travel and the best moments in this game happen when you're just wondering around and b) a lot of game systems that are useless on normal difficulty become critical on survival.

KBii

Banned
Xenoblade 3/DLC - I did a thing where I played XB3 up to the final area then started the DLC. It was going just fine until...

Zelda: ToTK - Nabbed me and I was getting so into it and exploring/building and not having progressed that much (got to Rito), but then...

Diablo IV - Dragged me down to Hell and now I'm stuck somehow even though I'm not making much progress getting distracted by daily dungeons and such. It'd probably go faster if...

Final Fantasy XIV
- I could stop playing this constantly for a while to focus elsewhere!

I do want to play FF16, but have no PS5. But I'm thankful because with this backlog I'd hate to add yet another long game on top of things. Will wait for the PC version.

Oh yeah, it gets much, much worse. Also the problem is: there was no choice. You had to kill him in order for the story to progress. It's completely on rails and you have no options. You can't say no. Past Fallout games are much better at giving you options on how you interact with story. Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas are amazing at it.

Anyway, enjoy, it's a great game to just wonder around, explore, kill some stuff, loot and build. I'd suggest survival ASAP because: a) you can't fast travel and the best moments in this game happen when you're just wondering around and b) a lot of game systems that are useless on normal difficulty become critical on survival.

Oh yeah. i understand what you are saying. That is true. Can i change difficulty to survival midgame?

Last edited:

dodgu007

Neo Member
The Witcher 3 (PS5)
Finished the base game (First time on PS5 third total) and started/finished Hearts of Stone for the first time.Taking a break before i start Blood and Wine.

Mafia Remake
Never played the original, Got the platinum from the remake but i didn't particularly enjoy the game (poor gun combat and frustrating mission design)

I'm thinking of jumping into the Alan Wake Remaster next. Played the original on PC about 12 years ago and i recall really enjoying it.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Oh yeah. i understand what you are saying. That is true. Can i change difficulty to survival midgame?

I think you can but once you change from survival back to normal or hard, survival will be blocked on that save. I might be wrong. Also, the higher your difficulty, the better chance of legendary enemies spawning. You can find some really cool gear by killing these. My favourite being armour that increases your speed. Stack a couple of these and you’ll be blazing through the wasteland.

I think you can but once you change from survival back to normal or hard, survival will be blocked on that save. I might be wrong. Also, the higher your difficulty, the better chance of legendary enemies spawning. You can find some really cool gear by killing these. My favourite being armour that increases your speed. Stack a couple of these and you’ll be blazing through the wasteland.
Cool. let me give it a try.

Haven't touched TOTK for a while and loaded it up earlier. I can't remember what buttons to press :messenger_grinning_sweat: I'm going to need to get used to it again.

Going to start Baldur's Gate 3 but only do a few hours.

The Witcher 3 (PS5)
Finished the base game (First time on PS5 third total) and started/finished Hearts of Stone for the first time.Taking a break before i start Blood and Wine.

Mafia Remake
Never played the original, Got the platinum from the remake but i didn't particularly enjoy the game (poor gun combat and frustrating mission design)

I'm thinking of jumping into the Alan Wake Remaster next. Played the original on PC about 12 years ago and i recall really enjoying it.
I wish I could replay Witcher again for the first time. How have you been enjoying it? I'd like to think you're having fun with it if you've played about 70-110 hours (depending on your playstyle) but I know some people push through games even if they aren't having a great time with it. Blood & Wine is an amazing expansion and you're in for a treat. Took me about 50 hours to get through it. Hearts was about 15-20 hours and the base game was 90-100 hours.

Last edited:

dodgu007

Neo Member
I wish I could replay Witcher again for the first time. How have you been enjoying it? I'd like to think you're having fun with it if you've played about 70-110 hours (depending on your playstyle) but I know some people push through games even if they aren't having a great time with it. Blood & Wine is an amazing expansion and you're in for a treat. Took me about 50 hours to get through it. Hearts was about 15-20 hours and the base game was 90-100 hours.
Yeah it's definitely a top 10 game for me. My base playthrough was 92 hours and HoS about 15-16 hours. I had heard B&W was much longer than HoS and i didn't want to get burnt out so i'll probably play another game or two before jumping back in and starting Blood & Wine.

I played a bit of Baldur's Gate 3. I take back any time I've said it's "Divinity Original Sin 3". This game is actually so much fun. I know I'm still only in the tutorial area but I'm really into it even if it's quite overwhelming. I didn't know it had a lovecraftian/cosmic horror vibe to it. Holy shit I'm so excited for the full game.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Finished Mickey's Wild Adventures. The Prince and the pauper stage is rough. That's where I lose most of my lives and continues. Always have. It's like the developers cranked up the difficulty to 11 just because it's the final stage. A great adventure for sure, makes me want to dive in to Magical Quest and World of Illusions to see how they hold up today. But I'm going to take a small break and finish up some backlog first.

Krieger

Warhammer 40K: Inquisitor Martyr, the Sororitas DLC dropped on consoles this week and I'm currently going through it and the new season.

Dr. Suchong

Finished Mickey's Wild Adventures. The Prince and the pauper stage is rough. That's where I lose most of my lives and continues. Always have. It's like the developers cranked up the difficulty to 11 just because it's the final stage. A great adventure for sure, makes me want to dive in to Magical Quest and World of Illusions to see how they hold up today. But I'm going to take a small break and finish up some backlog first.
Magical quest still holds up well with the different costumes affording different abilities.
I'd say World of illusion is best in Co-op.
I still find myself whistling the music from World of illusion.

Dr. Suchong

Dishonored series. Again. On Series X
Absolutely love them. Sublime level design.
Art direction is painterly and utterly bewitching.
Found out Child of Eden on 360 is BC, so ordered that for practically pennies.
I think it's a worthy (spiritual?) successor to Rez.
Criminally overlooked by many.

Last edited:
Dishonored series. Again. On Series X
Absolutely love them. Sublime level design.
Art direction is painterly and utterly bewitching.
Found out Child of Eden on 360 is BC, so ordered that for practically pennies.
I think it's a worthy (spiritual?) successor to Rez.
Criminally overlooked by many.
Is CoE still fun without Kinect?

Top Bottom