• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Playing a Metroidvania Afterimage. I like it a lot. Beautiful visuals, huge areas. Doesn't hold your hand when it comes to exploration. Difficulty spikes can be frustrating, but if you're into the genre check it out. Might make a thread to bring some recognition to it at some point.

I just wrapped up next gen Witcher 3 and both expansions on PC. Not sure whether I’m proud or embarrassed to admit that I started and finished the game in just under 2 weeks clocking in just under 50 hours.

It’s my second playthrough of the game (first time was on Switch because of work travel). However I never got around the finishing the two expansions on my first playthrough.

Amazing on PC and the graphics are still excellent. Heard loads of good things about both expansions (blood and wine in particular) but actually ended up thinking that Hearts of Stone was vastly superior, even though I enjoyed Blood and Wine.

Now I’m kind of lost on what to play. Need a palate cleanser after that much RPG.

Mr Hyde

Killed the first boss in Lies of P. He was a tough cookie but overall not too shabby. Annoying sweeping attacks in second phase but electrical enhancements on your blade melts him pretty fast. The puppets twitchy movement is hard to predict, making parries very difficult. That is my only gripe so far regarding combat.

The game is a shameful rip off but damn, it's pretty darn good with top notch production values, excellent art direction and hopefully a fresh take on the Pinocchio story. It's intriguing so far. The developers have definitely done their homework in regards to Bloodborne. It oozes the same style, but time will tell if it also exhibits the same substance and depth.

bloodborne, ps4 pro.
been saving it for a rainy day, and my pc upgrade components are taking too long to arrive.

love demon/dark souls, but man i forgot how janky it can be (camera, lock on system, overall controls).

just got to father cappuccino or whatever.
was cheeseballing him from behind the graves, talking shit.
he turned into a werewolf or something and slaughtered my ass.
i had ~50k souls (or blood memories, is it?) and now i dont know how to get them back without killing him... not sure i can kill him.
havent levelled up once or anything.
screwed myself.

Mr Hyde

Killed the second boss in Lies of P demo. This game is definitely legit. It gets more fun the more you play. It definitely scratch the Bloodborne itch, at least so far. The world and the story is so far very well executed. The levels features fearsome enemies, some good loot and nice shortcuts, all of what you'd expect from a game like this. Music is also good. If the game delivers, than we Souls-fans are in for a treat, given that Lords of the Fallen releases a month after, and that too looks awesome.

I like, re discovered RE in a sense. To kick things off, I started a brand new playthrough of RE REmake, as Jill! This game hasn't aged a second. The gameplay, graphics, music, atmosphere, story all combine together to form an immersive experience that sucks the player in. It demanded I turn off the lights and tune out any distractions, leaving just me, the controller, and the screen left...that was the first time in a while that I played completely immersed in a video game like that...it was so awesome and relaxing remembering where to go, and get this! A zombie made a sound I wasn't expecting it to make while shooting at it, and it got a scare out of me LOL. Even the scare factor is still there in replays...heh. Besides that, I'm also continuing my RE4R playthrough, which is slowly growing on me the more I play it. I randomly started Devil's Third, game is pretty fun. It's a really fun b movie action game that blends the best of hack n slash and COD style shooting...it's as crazy as it sounds lol. It has the mentality of a hack n slash game but the gameplay of a shooter...like you shoot at a boss to deplete his hack n slash ass hp bar...it's so video game-y and I love it.

I just wrapped up next gen Witcher 3 and both expansions on PC. Not sure whether I’m proud or embarrassed to admit that I started and finished the game in just under 2 weeks clocking in just under 50 hours.

It’s my second playthrough of the game (first time was on Switch because of work travel). However I never got around the finishing the two expansions on my first playthrough.

Amazing on PC and the graphics are still excellent. Heard loads of good things about both expansions (blood and wine in particular) but actually ended up thinking that Hearts of Stone was vastly superior, even though I enjoyed Blood and Wine.

Now I’m kind of lost on what to play. Need a palate cleanser after that much RPG.

I still have the second and third Witcher games to play - some day. It’s been tough getting the willpower to leave my couch for my PC considering how much I’ve been working this year.

Did you end up choosing a decent palate cleanser? I am in a similar situation, just about to finish up TOTK’s final boss before taking a much needed break. The last few hours have me feeling burned out and I’m ready for a change of pace. Thinking FF1 to keep things light and once I have a better chunk of time I am gonna start FF16.

wigsplittin4fun

Neo Member
PREY, Overwatch, Fortnite.

If you're going to play PREY, do it on PC. OW still has its appeal but I don't think the development team is doing a good job outlining the type of competitive experience they want players to have.

That's pretty much all for now. Once February is over I'll have some free time to sit down and give South Park: Fractured But Whole the time it deserves.
Prey was amazing. Def one of my fav games this last gen. Only thing I hated was the zero gravity parts and the map was kinda wonky. Other than that i would def give it a 9.5 outta ten.

I still have the second and third Witcher games to play - some day. It’s been tough getting the willpower to leave my couch for my PC considering how much I’ve been working this year.

Did you end up choosing a decent palate cleanser? I am in a similar situation, just about to finish up TOTK’s final boss before taking a much needed break. The last few hours have me feeling burned out and I’m ready for a change of pace. Thinking FF1 to keep things light and once I have a better chunk of time I am gonna start FF16.
Hey, I ended up buying FF16 after enjoying the demo. It’s basically loads of action followed by really well put together cutscenes. Not exactly the pace changer I was after but it’s very good.

I’d recommend something like Resident Evil 4 Remake as well as a decent pallet cleanser following a big RPG.

Yesterday I finished Persona 4 Golden and got the true ending. Finally! I first bought this game in 2014 when I had a Vita but back then I only played maybe 1-2 hours of it. I wanted to play it again but there was no way to do that until the game released on Steam. I played maybe an hour before giving up. Not because I thought it was bad but because I really wanted to play Persona 3 first. Until P3P came out on Switch this year the only way to play P3 was to play FES on my PS2. I did play about 10 hours of it but I quit and moved to P3P and then moved onto Persona 4 Golden (played both on Switch).

So now they are completed I've started Persona 5 Royal (again). Since I last played it I have played Persona 3, Persona 4, and Shin Megami Tensei V so I'm going into it with a new perspective. I loved P5 when I first played it but I didn't know much about previous Persona games or even SMT games. I didn't realise how much of a departure P5 is compared to P3/4. So much has changed but obviously it still keeps the same formula. I can understand now why P5 became so popular but at the same time I miss some things from P3/4.

I'm going to have to make sure I finish P5R before P3R comes out. I can't wait to see what they do to bring P3 up to the same standards as P5R.

Last edited:

engstra

Finished playing through Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart as it was on PS+. I love 3D platformers but never been a huge fan of this series as it's more combat/shooting focused rather than platforming and collectables. Did end up really enjoying this though and looking forward to the next one! It's also hard to ignore how good looking the game is although the art style doesn't do it too much for me.

Going on holiday now so will be playing a bunch of smaller games on my Switch.

Hey, I ended up buying FF16 after enjoying the demo. It’s basically loads of action followed by really well put together cutscenes. Not exactly the pace changer I was after but it’s very good.

I’d recommend something like Resident Evil 4 Remake as well as a decent pallet cleanser following a big RPG.

You must have my number, I just played through the chainsaw demo for a little separation before moving onto FF1.

sedg87

Banned
Final Fantasy 16
Struggling to enjoy it to be honest. Not sure how long is left but hope it's all over soon. If it ends soon it'll get a 6/10.

Rush2112

Banned
FF16.

After 32 hours, great story and action sequences, but I don’t have any satisfaction or sense of acomplishments from beating the big bosses. The game is too busy telling you how the movie goes than to let you feel the satisfaction of beating it. it’s like playing one of those interactive movie games. You just push some buttons and watch the cutscene. Just make sure you dodge a lot and you can beat everything first try.

Last edited:

Crayon

I have been playing my souvenirs from my recent trip to japan. I picked up a neo geo pocket and a wonderswan while I was there. I had some new displays show up from ebay last week and installed them over the weekend. I've been trying several games but I don't want to bust them all open at once.

I put a surprising amount of time into Wizardry on the swan over the weekend! Who doesn't like an archaic dungeon crawl on 1 aa battery. This is nice because I really have not played much games in like 2 months.

FFXVI, that fight with Hugo was god damn epic and story is getting even better, this game definitely exceed my expectations.
You will love what comes next. I was playing with my sound bars blasting the godly ost that comes with the upcoming fight. I think it is better than the one you just did.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Multiplayer
Battlefield 2042
Rainbow 6 Siege
Saints Row The Third (co-op)

Single Player
Moss - Book 1
Battlefield: Bad Company
Patapon Remastered

RAIDEN1

Completed Norco and probably the first game I've completed this calendar year, good game better than I thought it would be, and grateful it is on Gamepass ...then after hearing that Road 96 will soon get removed from Gamepass I went onto that which is definitely unique and break from the norm...on the PS4 Pro...I am on the cusp of probably selling my copy of God of War 2018.....it has nowhere near the same level of pull for me like Mass Effect has had...and it goes to show why I skipped the God of War games during the time of the PS3....

Mr Hyde

Been going through OG Demon's Souls again. Was a couple of years since I last played it, and since the remake came out it got kinda left in the dust.

It's still a great experience, although I think the remake is way better on almost all fronts. But the original still has loads of charm and replayability. It's a cult classic that I never get tired of. About halfway through, the bosses that remain are Man-eater, Golden Monk, Old Hero, Storm King, Penetrator and King Allant.

I remember playing this back in 2009. It was so weird and quirky. No wikis, no explanations of anything. When you died it was right back at the beginning. Didn't even know how to summon or invade. I just hated the whole experience. It's crazy to think that you played a groundbreaking game that literally spawned its own genre, without even realizing it until years later.

Trunx81

Made the mistake of trying Red Dead Redemption 2 after finishing Horizon: Zero Dawn. That slow pace really turns you off after blasting your arrows into machines. Got to make a longer pause and play something else, I guess ...

PanzerCute

FF16, Rogue Legacy 2 and next on my list are Hubris, Synapse and Switchback (when it's patched in the next few days) on PSVR2.

And I still play a shit ton of Hunt Showdown, the best online FPS ever made (for my tastes)

PanzerCute

Been going through OG Demon's Souls again. Was a couple of years since I last played it, and since the remake came out it got kinda left in the dust.

It's still a great experience, although I think the remake is way better on almost all fronts. But the original still has loads of charm and replayability. It's a cult classic that I never get tired of. About halfway through, the bosses that remain are Man-eater, Golden Monk, Old Hero, Storm King, Penetrator and King Allant.

I remember playing this back in 2009. It was so weird and quirky. No wikis, no explanations of anything. When you died it was right back at the beginning. Didn't even know how to summon or invade. I just hated the whole experience. It's crazy to think that you played a groundbreaking game that literally spawned its own genre, without even realizing it until years later.
My only complaint about the remake is the OST of Maiden Astrae. It's great on the remake, don't get me wrong, but it's nothing compared to the original music. That track is beautiful, melancholic and reeks of evil at the same time. One of the best track ever made imo.

WoJ

Playing The Witcher 2. I started it several years back and got frustrated by the combat and dropped it because I kept dying.

It's clicking better this time and there's lots I like about the game. It feels like a very dense game to dive into so I can only play in small chunks of time which makes progress seem slow. But overall I am enjoying it.

Also going to play through Halo:MCC. I've never played a Halo game before.

Mr Hyde

My only complaint about the remake is the OST of Maiden Astrae. It's great on the remake, don't get me wrong, but it's nothing compared to the original music. That track is beautiful, melancholic and reeks of evil at the same time. One of the best track ever made imo.

The original Astraea track is up there with the greats. Somber and melancholic, yet bone chilling and evil. Remake version is great but goes too much "Hollywood" with focus on choir and violins. I love the lore of Valley of Defilement, it's so sad and vile and disgusting at the same time. Astraea and her relationship with Garl Vinland is gripping psychological shit. First time I played the game I felt awful for killing her and the music playing just reinforced that feeling. Suddenly, it was I who was the villain. It's the best part of the game if you ask me, despite the levels themselves being a hell hole to endure.

Edit: This version by Alex Roe is also very good. He does great remixes on Souls music.

Last edited:

Crayon

Just a minute ago I was playing digimon battle frontier. It just showed up in the mail. I thought it was a platformer because I... rolled over a thumbnail on youtube and bought it lol. It's more of a platform fighter. There is not much to it.

But I'm really playing FF7R. I've beat it once. It took the whole runtime for me to realize how much I liked it, so I started over on the hard mode. I dropped that for something else and didn't go back. Last weekend I loaded up that save and damn this game is satisfying. The combat is so intense and visually it's some of the craziest shit. The way you can spend all day in the combat menu while all these perfect character models and sparks are flying around in super slow motion is so fun. Like i'm playing an action game with a lot going on but being able to stop and take it all in, assess the state of the moment, and relax while I ponder my options. I love it.

And that soundtrack holy shit. It might be better than the nier games.

sedg87

Banned
Final Fantasy X-2
Got about halfway through this in the PS2 days, but haven't played it since until last night. Finished chapter 1 and really enjoying it. Not sure if I'll use the fiends as I really like all three characters.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
One of my time favourites. I always try to play through it at least once a year.

oji-san

Banned
Replaying Ghost of Tsushima, never played the DLC. I'm at act 2 and the game is just fantastic, i replayed lately several games like The Witcher 3 and some hours with AC Valhalla and Origins and i think that for a third person open-world melee combat based game GoT has the most refined combat, just a joy killing enemies with such a fun combat system. Also visual art is mesmerising, can't wait for some sequel news.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Replaying Ghost of Tsushima, never played the DLC. I'm at act 2 and the game is just fantastic, i replayed lately several games like The Witcher 3 and some hours with AC Valhalla and Origins and i think that for a third person open-world melee combat based game GoT has the most refined combat, just a joy killing enemies with such a fun combat system. Also visual art is mesmerising, can't wait for some sequel news.
Once you become familiar with the combat, you gotta try the "Lethal" difficulty. The game is immensely more fun at that difficulty. No spongy enemies anymore.

Everybody dies in 1-3 cuts, and so do you.

When you're cutting waves after waves of enemies, that fluidity and level of fun is just unmatched.

Last edited:
Once you become familiar with the combat, you gotta try the "Lethal" difficulty. The game is immensely more fun at that difficulty. No spongy enemies anymore.

Everybody dies in 1-3 cuts, and so do you.

When you're cutting waves after waves of enemies, that fluidity and level of fun is just unmatched.
Is that available from the start? I can't remember but I chose the hardest on my first playthrough and at first there was a bit of friction and a curve.. but once I got the hang of it I was sooo glad I chose it. Grreeeaaat game!

Top Bottom