• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

xrnzaaas

I've finally finished Aliens: Dark Descent and it's a solid 8/10 in my book. Second best alien game right after Isolation. They captured the atmosphere and the aesthetic of the Aliens movie perfectly, I liked most of the mechanics and the story was also very cool. In fact some of the ideas could be used in future movies like
making hybrids, having the Darwin Era cult or encountering the xeno titan.
I didn't like the timer, but that's just me and I alawys hate them in video games. I finished the game way before the time run out, but it still strayed me away from going back to past locations and maxing out their collectibles. I also didn't like the frequent bugs, especially when the game stopped autosaving in one of the missions. It should be patched, but so far they've only released 1 small update.
Still a great game overall, I had a lot of fun, even if the very tense moments when my team was going crazy and the alien attacks were becoming even more aggressive. The second to last mission involving
no motion trackers
was also very tiring (in a good way). :)

AndrewRyan

Been playing Chorvs, a space combat game picked up during the recent sales. Kind of like a modern StarFox without the cute characters. A nice break from standard shooters.

chlorate

Halo 3: ODST on the LASO difficulty via the Master Chief Chronicles on PC. LASO brings a fun challenge to a game that would otherwise be really simple.

foamdino

Started messing around in Baldurs Gate 3 early access to try out build ideas etc before the launch next month. And now trying to beeline the main quest in Horizon Forbidden West to tie that off before I'm sucked into bg3

JordiENP

Bayo 3... this game is entertaining as f
Bayo3.jpg

ODESSA92

Neo Member
The original Tropico. Was on sale on Steam. Never played it before but I can see why people like it. Doesn't take itself too seriously and its funny too.

Schmendrick

The waiting game again. I'm done with FF16 and Diablo 4's endgame is too undercooked at the moment so.... I'm waiting for uuuh ...
Maybe Starfield...I guess.

xrnzaaas

The Last Case of Benedict Fox - What a disappointment. In my ~2-3 hours there were MULTIPLE times when I didn't have any idea where to go next. It's like the devs are making fun of you with the "I hate feeling lost" difficulty option because that's what this game is about. Would it be that hard to allow for small directional arrows or area highlights to point you to stuff? It's like they gave you the option to auto-solve puzzles and called it a day instead of trying to implement a good hint system. Not gonna bother with finishing this one, because constantly googling the next steps for hints is just not fun.

The double jump mechanic is also heavily flawed. The controls in a game like this should be super tight, not have you guess if the jump will work this time or not.

Last edited:
Street Fighter 6 and Persona 3 FES. Really enjoying both and will probably be end of summer before I touch anything else.

Bought Persona 3 last year when it looked like the PS3 store was about to go offline and before the remake was announced. Felt I might as well play it since I own it and I won't feel tempted to buy the $60-70 remake on release.

The Last Case of Benedict Fox - What a disappointment. In my ~2-3 hours there were MULTIPLE times when I didn't have any idea where to go next. It's like the devs are making fun of you with the "I hate feeling lost" difficulty option because that's what this game is about. Would it be that hard to allow for small directional arrows or area highlights to point you to stuff? It's like they gave you the option to auto-solve puzzles and called it a day instead of trying to implement a good hint system. Not gonna bother with finishing this one, because constantly googling the next steps for hints is just not fun.
Did you turn exploration to easy? All it does is give standard icons on the map that are present in any other game in the genre.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I am closing in on the end of Tears of the Kingdom, and I was thinking: if Nintendo can make a game like this on what is essentially old cell phone hardware, imagine what wonders they're going to work with their next console.

ddammsoni

Neo Member
I am closing in on the end of Tears of the Kingdom, and I was thinking: if Nintendo can make a game like this on what is essentially old cell phone hardware, imagine what wonders they're going to work with their next console.
I can't stop playing Zelda, almost forget FFXVI.

xrnzaaas

Did you turn exploration to easy? All it does is give standard icons on the map that are present in any other game in the genre.
Yes I've tried all the settings. It doesn't help at all, because looking at the map I already know which locations I haven't visited. The problem is not having all of the quest items (keys etc.) and the notes how to use them. The game doesn't help in finding them and doesn't give any hints how to use them to solve puzzles. You either do all the work yourself or pick auto-solve - there's no middle ground.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

Just started my first Etrian Odyssey game with number 3 from HD collection on Switch. Absolutely love it after 5 hours.
Also bought Metroid Prime.

Last edited:
After jumping back in to play a few hours of Skyrim I felt magnetized as usual to go back into Morrowind. I love Morrowind and have a great time even today just starting a character on a basically vanilla game (I do use OpenMW for upscaling/running higher resolution) and with that in mind I think this game is still so beautiful. It has such an incredible atmosphere and I love just about everything about it, even the hit chance! I love how spell effects can be used to make the sort of character you want or give you the traversal options you need. Maybe the base character models could use some upgrading, but I'm sure there's a mod for that - but honestly I don't even care. Something about this world always draws me back even 20 years later. I hope Skyrim is the same way in the long run, but it's much more difficult to start a game and drop right in. At least with Oblivion I could save a character right at the Sewer exit gate and reconfigure him and have the similar "Morrowind" feeling of a quick start up. Skyrim doesn't give that option and you have to run through that long sequence again and it kills a lot of my vibe before I even get started, not to mention the way skills are handled in that game and reduced even further than Oblivion.

I love that the heavy handed scaling isn't present in Morrowind - you start off rough and really do feel that increase in power every step of the way. It's a tough act to follow.

TsZeRcE.jpg

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Booted up Silent Hill Homecoming. Been wanting to play this for quite some time now. I remember playing it first on PS3 and I didn't really like it, but now that time has passed I wanted to see if those feelings are the same. It's also nice playing it at higher resolution and framerate compared to the PS3s awful performance. Graphics still holds up. Great atmosphere so far, very classic SH. And those nurses - hubba, hubba 😍

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Finished Lies of P demo. The final boss, the scrapped watchman, was a really cool boss fight. Tested your abilities to the max. The adrenaline rush and the feeling of besting him after 10 tries equals that to Dark Souls. This game is definitely on my radar now. Great game so far and a cool twist on the Pinocchio story.

Paltheos

Trails into Reverie, as I expect to be playing for the next month, if the last several games in the series are any indicators as to length when squeezing out every ounce of content.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Unlocked a second tower now in Tears of the Kingdom + explored some of the sky islands. So far this is my GOTY along with HiFI Rush. This game is so impressive. How the hell did Nintendo manage to achieve something like this on the tiny little Switch? You don't see this level of creativity and scope, even on the new gen machines. The mechanics at your disposal really changes up how the game is played. Amazing work by Ninty here. They should be rewarded plenty by the end of the year.

swaffles23

Finished FFXVI and Space Marine on Steam Deck.

Started Star Wars Jedi Survivor on PS5

Gonna pick up Baldur's Gate 3 afterwards, hopefully it runs good on Steam Deck

_Ex_

I'm about halfway through b.l.u.e. Legend of Water for PS1. I enjoy being a teenage girl playing with a dolphin in submerged Egyptian ruins.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Final Fantasy XVI and Diablo IV

Man, who thought it was a good idea releasing these at almost the same time. I need sleep.

sedg87

Banned
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Completed. Got the best ending. Still one of my favourite games. Everything about it is incredible.

In a bit of a retro mood so thinking of playing some PS1 games next. Gonna start with Koudelka and then Dino Crisis.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
You wanted to say Bloodborne? Because this boss is just a shameless reskin of Darkbeast Paarl.

Yeah, he was very similar to Paarl, which is not a negative in my book as it's a dope boss fight. Scrapped watchman was even better because he wasn't as unpredictable as Paarl, with a more refined moveset, thus being more fun to fight.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Booted up Silent Hill Homecoming. Been wanting to play this for quite some time now. I remember playing it first on PS3 and I didn't really like it, but now that time has passed I wanted to see if those feelings are the same. It's also nice playing it at higher resolution and framerate compared to the PS3s awful performance. Graphics still holds up. Great atmosphere so far, very classic SH. And those nurses - hubba, hubba 😍
Make sure to play Downpour after that as well if you haven’t already. Hidden gem. Absolute disgrace that there has been no port to the newer generations yet.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
After jumping back in to play a few hours of Skyrim I felt magnetized as usual to go back into Morrowind. I love Morrowind and have a great time even today just starting a character on a basically vanilla game (I do use OpenMW for upscaling/running higher resolution) and with that in mind I think this game is still so beautiful. It has such an incredible atmosphere and I love just about everything about it, even the hit chance! I love how spell effects can be used to make the sort of character you want or give you the traversal options you need. Maybe the base character models could use some upgrading, but I'm sure there's a mod for that - but honestly I don't even care. Something about this world always draws me back even 20 years later. I hope Skyrim is the same way in the long run, but it's much more difficult to start a game and drop right in. At least with Oblivion I could save a character right at the Sewer exit gate and reconfigure him and have the similar "Morrowind" feeling of a quick start up. Skyrim doesn't give that option and you have to run through that long sequence again and it kills a lot of my vibe before I even get started, not to mention the way skills are handled in that game and reduced even further than Oblivion.

I love that the heavy handed scaling isn't present in Morrowind - you start off rough and really do feel that increase in power every step of the way. It's a tough act to follow.

TsZeRcE.jpg

Skyrim is nothing like Morrowind. It’s more of an exploration game and offers very little character build variety. Different design priorities. I started Morrowind but ended up playing Oblivion. Might get back to it once I finish guild questlines.

Skyrim is nothing like Morrowind. It’s more of an exploration game and offers very little character build variety. Different design priorities. I started Morrowind but ended up playing Oblivion. Might get back to it once I finish guild questlines.
Yes, sadly it's not much like Morrowind. It has similar feeling in some regards but they've done so many changes first in Oblivion and then to Skyrim moving away from what made Morrowind so good it does feel like a completely different game style. This is why I'm both really excited and equally worried/cautious about Elder Scrolls VI.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Make sure to play Downpour after that as well if you haven’t already. Hidden gem. Absolute disgrace that there has been no port to the newer generations yet.

Yeah, I have played it once on PS3 but the performance was awful and made the game nearly unplayable. But I remember liking it quite much, despite all the issues. I'm thinking about playing it on RPSC3, will probably get decent performance out of it then.

Too much right now.

Have been playing Diablo 4 basically since launch. Slowed down the last few weeks but still fun to hop on when the group is online.

FF16 bought on launch, have been playing and enjoying but slowed way down. Don't think I've progressed very far. And have a ton ahead of me.

Was addicted to TOTK until D4 came out, and haven't played much since, but intend to get back.

Dave the Diver on Steam sale is a total time sink and the absolute last thing I needed to add to my playlist right now, but it's been super fun.

I was replaying Spidey before FF16 because of Spider-Verse hype. Have put it down for now, but need to get back before the sequel.

Got RE2 for $10 and really want to jump in after RE4 Remake was my first RE game earlier this year and I totally loved it.

And the game releases aren't slowing down either. There just isn't enough time in the day...

-Zelda-

Banned
Finished and enjoyed Final Fantasy 16, but my thumb HATES games with stagger mechanics thanks to giving enemies millions of HP. I tried new game plus which makes the enemies harder and also gives them more HP on top of a level enhancement from up to 100. Stagger mechanics needs to die off forever because I am sick of damage sponge padding. Went over to Hogwarts Legacy and Dragons dogma Dark Arisen.

Top Bottom