• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Skyrim is nothing like Morrowind. It’s more of an exploration game and offers very little character build variety. Different design priorities. I started Morrowind but ended up playing Oblivion. Might get back to it once I finish guild questlines.
I probably put a few thousand hours into Morrowind.
I think 80 hours into Oblivion, and dropped it before finishing it.
2 hours into Skyrim.

sedg87

Banned
Koudelka
I haven't played this since I was a teen and I never finished it; I think I got to disc 2 and forgot about it. I always wanted to go back and play it again so here I am.

I love the atmosphere and setting. The rain hitting the roof of the monastery, the dimly lit kitchens, and the creepy, haunting corridors. Combat is rather slow and I think I like that. The designs of the monsters so far are really good. I wish there were more RPGS with this sort of vibe and design.

-Zelda-

Banned
Koudelka
I haven't played this since I was a teen and I never finished it; I think I got to disc 2 and forgot about it. I always wanted to go back and play it again so here I am.

I love the atmosphere and setting. The rain hitting the roof of the monastery, the dimly lit kitchens, and the creepy, haunting corridors. Combat is rather slow and I think I like that. The designs of the monsters so far are really good. I wish there were more RPGS with this sort of vibe and design.
Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve 1 and 2.

Skeptical

Finishing up Unbound: Worlds Apart. It's a puzzle platformer/ precision platformer/ Metroidvania-lite game who's main gimmick is that your character creates a portal around him to an alternate universe with different rules, like turning fireballs to bubbles or turning a block into an enemy (or vice versa), etc. While I expected it to be more puzzle-ish, there was really only one sequence at the very end that was anything more than basic. Instead it seems like the precision platforming ended up taking the center stage, albeit it isn't as complex as the pure precision platformers like Celeste or Meat Boy or whatever. Because of that, I would say that this game doesn't break out into being special, but the challenge is there, the art is nice, the Metroidvania map gives it a solid identity, and the portal concept kept it fresh. Solid game overall.

Johnny2Bad

Right now I'm playing Red Dead Redemption 2 for the umpteenth time. I seem to be going back to previously placed games a lot lately since I've been completely disappointed with the last 4 games that I've bought.

Those games are:
Assassin's Creed Black Flag:
I still have this installed so I might go back to it again but it's just so bloody hard. I end up dying multiple times before I can complete a mission.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey:
This game just pissed me off! It's that bounty hunter system. You build up a wanted level killing enemies even though that's what you're supposed to do and those bounty hunters keep harassing you while you're trying to get things done. The only way to stop it is to travel halfway across the map to kill the sponsor. I just got fed up with it.

Mount and Blade Bannerlord:
I waited a long time for this to come out for console, only to be massively disappointed. It's got a huge learning curve but I was actually enjoying it until I tried to make money. Maybe the PC version is better but making enough money seemed to be hopeless, even though I followed many different YouTube video tutorials.

Witcher 3:
I almost finished this game but the last boss battle just frustrated the fuck out of me. The problem with that game is the health bar system. You can't fully heal when eating or taking potions. The bar fills slowly so you constantly have to dance around, avoiding attacks while the bar fills.

As far as AC games go, I love AC Valhalla and AC Origins was pretty good. I've played Valhalla several times including the expansions. Origins I've played once but I'll probably play again.

Mafia 3 I've also played many times and probably will again.

GTA5 I've played the shit out of and I think I'm pretty much done with it.

I play GT7 about once a week or so when I feel like doing some racing.

Still playing Ridge Racer 2 (PSP game on PSN) and have gotten to the Max Tour where the cars go faster than you possibly can and the best way to go faster is to have one of them bump you from behind for a 30mph boost. The races are fun to race but so impossible. I got through the first set of races somehow.

I remember Ridge Racer PSP having these types of races and going NOPE then too.

Last edited:
The Evil Within...can't get enough of this game...the more I replay it the more I enjoy it! I always enjoyed it but am enjoying it even more these days...it's my favorite modern survival horror game :]

Godhand...my PS2 copy arrived today! I played more of the beginning, such a sublime 3D beatemup from Clover! This and Okami completed my Clover collection of 2 games :D

Mobilemofo

Took a gamble on Elex 2, as I couldn't find a game I was in the mood for. 15 minutes later, I uninstalled, appologise to my playstation, and myself, and watched BrassEye instead. Fuckin horrible game.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’ve been unapologetically playing Grimace’s Birthday on Gameboy Color. I’m genuinely considering speedrunning it.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey:
This game just pissed me off! It's that bounty hunter system. You build up a wanted level killing enemies even though that's what you're supposed to do and those bounty hunters keep harassing you while you're trying to get things done. The only way to stop it is to travel halfway across the map to kill the sponsor. I just got fed up with it.
It’s been a while since I played, but can’t you just kill the bounty hunter? I seem to recall only killing one sponsor. The rest I killed whoever was after me. It was worthwhile since I got unique gear from it, I believe.

xrnzaaas

More game pass lttp...

Planet of Lana was a really charming game, one of the better Another World spiritual successors I've played so far. Great characters, fun main duo, beautiful locations, cool puzzles for most part.

Sommerville was a much worse experience. Some of the puzzles were idiotic (like the bucket one from the early part of the game) or didn't work properly because of issues with the physics.

Reaseru

Just finished Final Fantasy XVI. Currently I'm playing COD Black Ops (story mode because of PSN Plus), Stranger of Paradise and starting tomorrow I'm going to try out Exoprimal on Gamepass.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Finished Siege of Paris in AC Valhalla. It wasn't as good as Wrath of the Druids. It was kinda weak. Gonna play through the campaign now before entering Dawn of Ragnarok. Been on and off this game for a year now. Sometimes it's great and I wanna keep playing. Sometimes it's awful and I never wanna touch it again.

I've progressed in Silent Hill Homecoming too. Cleared the police station and joined forces with Elle. The game isn't bad but it's no way near the quality of Team Silents work. It feels derivative and the combat is awful. I do like the atmosphere and the story. Alex is a good protagonist who fits the SH male hero archetype. And Akira Yamaokas music still gives me them feels and it adds a lot to the game. Without it, it would feel even worse than it is.

Johnny2Bad

It’s been a while since I played, but can’t you just kill the bounty hunter? I seem to recall only killing one sponsor. The rest I killed whoever was after me. It was worthwhile since I got unique gear from it, I believe.
Nope. More will just keep coming. Killing the sponsor is the only way to stop it but as soon as you start killing more enemies, the bounty starts going up again.

RDR2 has a much better system. You just pay it off at the post office and you get plenty of time to do so. Unlike Odyssey, money is easy to come by.

Johnny2Bad

Finished Siege of Paris in AC Valhalla. It wasn't as good as Wrath of the Druids. It was kinda weak.
I didn't mind SoP but WotD was much better. I usually save those for the end so I have more time to wear the Thor armor which can't be completely acquired until near the end of the game. I also save the Valka missions (Asgard and Jotinheim).

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
after a couple of months i finally got back into Elden Ring... Just finished the Ranni Questline after beating that hard as nails Astel Naturalborn

Now Ranni is my wife and i got a cool OP projectile sword (that i'm not smart enough to use yet) The game could end here if im being honest, i got the girl and i defeated the hard boss

But alas it continues because fromsoftware packed so much stuff into this game.

Coming here for some advice, where should i go next? I want to level up my INT 6 levels to be able to use the sword properly.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Took a gamble on Elex 2, as I couldn't find a game I was in the mood for. 15 minutes later, I uninstalled, appologise to my playstation, and myself, and watched BrassEye instead. Fuckin horrible game.
8Jy6CUM.png

after a couple of months i finally got back into Elden Ring... Just finished the Ranni Questline after beating that hard as nails Astel Naturalborn

Now Ranni is my wife and i got a cool OP projectile sword (that i'm not smart enough to use yet) The game could end here if im being honest, i got the girl and i defeated the hard boss

But alas it continues because fromsoftware packed so much stuff into this game.

Coming here for some advice, where should i go next? I want to level up my INT 6 levels to be able to use the sword properly.
I recommend Mohgwyn's Palace, as it will allow you to level up quickly by ranged weapon aggroing big bird off cliff at Palace Approach Ledge-Road site of grace. Fastest way to get there is through White Mask Varré questline. After exhausting all his dialogue at first site of grace you can find him outside Rose Church in Liurnia. If you attest to a lack of faith in the Two-Fingers he will provide five festering bloody fingers for invasions. Three attempts (very successful at first site of grace) will have him ask you for a maiden's blood. There is a dead one in the original tutorial area, that is accessible after finding the Four Belfries in Liurnia and using the key in the chest to activate a way gate to the beginning area. After completing the task and pledging yourself to his Lord an item will allow you to teleport to Mogwyn's Palace.

For more Elden Ring info I recommend asking in its dedicated thread.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/elden-ring-ot-one-ring-to-rule-them-all.1631116

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Bramble on Game Pass. It's fucking terrible. The nice environments are ruined by the protagonists terrible character model and somehow worse animations with the uninspired game play being the cherry on top.

T-0800

So I've been fascinated by shadow of the beast since back in the day. I didn't actualy play it till like 2000. I remember being let down because it was so stiff controlling and rife with cheap hits. Sure did look nice on that genesis though!

I also had a lynx when I was a kid and the game was available there, but I had never tried it. Well I still have that same lynx and let me tell you lynx collecting is great as there is all kinds of nib old stock out there. So I picked up a copy of the game. I put it in a few weeks back and it was much like the genesis one. Stiff. Unfair. But damn did it again look nice on that lynx!

So I figured this game had more historical value, as an early game from psygnosis and reflections, displaying their prowess from amiga demos in the form of a complete game. But I grabbed for that lynx last nite and stuck this cart in to give it another go. And.... I think I'm getting it. All these wonderful toys at home and I want to play sotb on my lynx when I get off work lol.

Have you played the PS4 version? Well worth playing and it even includes the original Amiga version.

SNPlayen

Elex (first one) Why did I not play this eurojank beauty earlier? I’m only about 3 hours but it is very much like one of my all time guilty pleasures, Gothic. For some reason I thought they would try and make it more “modern” but they seem to be sticking to their roots.

Crayon

Have you played the PS4 version? Well worth playing and it even includes the original Amiga version.

Yes! Along the way I did. I definitely noticed the game when it was announced. When I eventually got a trial of psnow as it was called at the time, I tried the game out. It felt genuine in a "so this is what they wanted to make" kind of way because at that point I still considered the original difficult to enjoy. I don't remember there being the original version in there.

I don't remember how far I got, but I played it for awhile since it was an easier entry point to something I was always interested it.

T-0800

Yes! Along the way I did. I definitely noticed the game when it was announced. When I eventually got a trial of psnow as it was called at the time, I tried the game out. It felt genuine in a "so this is what they wanted to make" kind of way because at that point I still considered the original difficult to enjoy. I don't remember there being the original version in there.

I don't remember how far I got, but I played it for awhile since it was an easier entry point to something I was always interested it.

The original is an unlock. Not hard to do.

Naked Lunch

A little bit of Exoprimal, a little bit of GTA V Series X.

But a whole lot of watching Twin Peaks for the first time in my life. It's such a wild fucking show.
Twin Peaks (the episodes with Lynch's direct involvement of course) is as good as TV will ever get.
Then the fact that the whole '25 years later...' thing actually happened in real time - thats just not something you can just duplicate.

Last edited:
Too much right now.

Have been playing Diablo 4 basically since launch. Slowed down the last few weeks but still fun to hop on when the group is online.

FF16 bought on launch, have been playing and enjoying but slowed way down. Don't think I've progressed very far. And have a ton ahead of me.

Was addicted to TOTK until D4 came out, and haven't played much since, but intend to get back.

Dave the Diver on Steam sale is a total time sink and the absolute last thing I needed to add to my playlist right now, but it's been super fun.

I was replaying Spidey before FF16 because of Spider-Verse hype. Have put it down for now, but need to get back before the sequel.

Got RE2 for $10 and really want to jump in after RE4 Remake was my first RE game earlier this year and I totally loved it.

And the game releases aren't slowing down either. There just isn't enough time in the day...

Very ambitious, I hear ya. This is a particularly busy year for me with current releases. Normally I play only one or two a year and stick with my backlog. Lack of time and how long games have become make it harder - I remember when 40 to 50 hours was a long RPG.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Still FFXVI.

The game is far longer than I expected tbh. It’s kinda overstaying its welcome by now. As good as the combat system is, I don’t think that it can carry a game with this length. By now everything but the most vital boss fights is a piece of cake for me and it’s also always the same approach. I do still like story and characters though.

Still FFXVI.

The game is far longer than I expected tbh. It’s kinda overstaying its welcome by now. As good as the combat system is, I don’t think that it can carry a game with this length. By now everything but the most vital boss fights is a piece of cake for me and it’s also always the same approach. I do still like story and characters though.
I felt the same way. It's a good game, but towards the end I just wanted it to be over. And it doesn't, it just keeps going and going and going.

Since I finished Trails Into Reverie

I bought Kuro no Kiseki 1 and 2 on Steam and applied the English Patch for the first game

Still waiting for 2 to get a full English
patch.

20 mins into the first game and its really good

Surprised by how good it looks

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Making my way through FF16.

What an amazing game. As a fan of both DMC and FF, this game is a match made in heaven.
The boss fights in this game are excellent, such great designs and movesets.

And the Eikon boss fights are so insanely good. Like some of the best set pieces in gaming, the way the music comes in and the fight coreography.
Pure hype at maximum levels. It makes GOW3 and Metal Gear Rising look tame in comparison. And the graphics in these sections look insanely good. I just finished a certain dragon eikon and the graphics in the whole sequence literally looked like CGI. It was insane.

Wait I had no idea Kuro 1 had an English patch.

Is it any good?

It's fantastic

I don't have to worry about censorship either

I'm around 2 hours in and I'm almost done with the Prologue

Graphically looks a lot better than the previous games

Animation wise it's a massive improvement

Battle System had a massive overhaul and I'm liking it even more than the older one.

The Protagonist I like alot more than Rean and Lloyd. The rest of the Cast is interesting. Story hasn't hooked me yet but it's good so far

Last edited:

[Sigma]

River City Girls 2. I'm inching closer to the Platinum which will be my 100th finally. Of course i'm playing Street Fighter 6 as well, mostly training mode stuff lately. I'll Platinum like 5 games in one day after getting that 100th Platinum since purposely waited till River City Girls 2 was in a good state to start playing it. I recommend that game btw whether you want to pay the price now or wait till a price drop, it's a fun beat em up and better than the first game in pretty much every way except I believe the boss battles where more fun in the first and the boss characters where cooler.

AndrewRyan

Playing some small little titles on the Steam Deck, and by small I mean file size.. they are all tiny.

Theatre of Doom: Addicting twin-stick shooter with melee. Can finish the main campaign in ~3h.

STRIDER: Originally published in 1989 the reboot was inspired by Shadow Complex. Fun action game with lots of exploration and hidden areas.

Tormentor❌Punisher: This f'ing game, haha. Another twin-stick shooter where RT is a machine gun and LT a shotgun. You reload the machine-gun ammo by firing the shotgun so there's a natural rhythm thing that happens with the music - all while she's swearing like a sailor, lol.

Top Bottom