• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Crayon

Finally back to proper gaming after months of just doing bits here any there. I was taking bites of FF7R and that finally got me back into it. I'm playing Hubris on my snazzy psvr2 and KOF15 on my sweet fight stick and life is good. Something about games that use extra hardware is neat. Maybe it subconsciously takes me back to the super scope and gyromite?

Hubris is alright. It's a little weird, though. It's a shooter that slows down for brief climbing (booo) and platforming (nice!) and in-game cutscenes. There isn't much enemy variety. It's actually a little dull but it's immersive enough to make for a nice vr getaway so I'm having a good time. Good graphics. Generic scifi is easy to slide into. It's just an alright game yet... I think vr might spoil fps for me like racing games. Even this really basic shooting is really fun. You just have so much more input and output in vr. Look at pavlov that takes it way far in it's own direction. There's a few more coming, too.

So, KOF. Most of the little I played for the last month was my neo geo pocket. Alternating through fighting games while something is on youtube. Then I'm seeing that sf6 is a triumph and I'm now wanting to play some kof. So instead of playing it, I watch a ton of long snk videos on youtube while I'm playing chibi-real bout. Then I really wanted to play kof. Then I couldn't decide which I wanted to play. It's not like I collect them but I have several. I decided to show some support and buy kof15. I'm not going to get all into it. Just exploring the game.

Last edited:

-Zelda-

Banned
I am just bouncing around with random games until late september when those updates for Cyberpunk go live. I am impatient for that. For anyone that knows, I wish we could buy property that looks similar to River's plot of land. Speaking of River, I wish he was more important to the story overall like Kerry, Judy, and Panam are.

stn

Played D4 (XSX) last night with a friend, its great. Gonna continue that, FF 16 (PS5), and Valkyrie Elysium (PS4) tonight.

Roberts

Have been playing Steelrising on XSX for the last few days. A great game for those of us into Dark Souls rip-offs. French Revolution meets steampunk. More focus on the story than your typical FS game and it's also relatively easier (even though a few bosses made me sweat a little).

sedg87

Banned
Koudelka
On disc 3. Enjoying this immensely. I've been putting all my points into INT with Koudelka and she's pretty much killing everything on her own.

oji-san

Banned
Played Black Ops Cold War campaign, one mission was really good the rest ok.

Giving ELEX 2 a lot of effort, i liked the first game and kinda struggling with 2. it doesn't look and runs so good on PS5 and in this kind of game you can't just run along the world since every enemy will kill you with 2-3 strikes, will follow the main quests for now and hope to click with it.

amigastar

Played Black Ops Cold War campaign, one mission was really good the rest ok.

Giving ELEX 2 a lot of effort, i liked the first game and kinda struggling with 2. it doesn't look and runs so good on PS5 and in this kind of game you can't just run along the world since every enemy will kill you with 2-3 strikes, will follow the main quests for now and hope to click with it.
If you like ELEX 2 give "The Chronicles of Myrtana Archolos" a try, i'm gonna continue playing it myself. Its really great. Its on Steam also, a mod for free.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I'm debating what to play next: Dragon Quest XI, Xenoblade 3, Chained Echos or Assassin's Creed Origins. Anyone who has played them all, feel free to recommend!

Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age on the Xbox Series S. The licence board reset in this version is a game changer. It completely nullifies the fear of missing out on builds in the original.

King of Fighters XV on the PC with mods. It irks me that the last update broke the practice mode access with space key prompt from player 2. However, after finally beating Boss Goenitz with Rugal's laser beam supers and genocide cutter special, I can finally enjoy the game again. This game is so ridiculously good that it makes it hard to go back to earlier titles.

Last edited:
Basically finished up Baldur's Gate 2 but couldn't get enough of the infinity engine, so I've moved on to Icewind Dale which I also never beat. Loving it so far, liking it more than Baldur's Gate 2 really. About as much as I liked the first Baldur's Gate so far I'd give them even praise, but I'm also only a few hours in to IWD so we'll see! Hopefully it keeps on!

Aesius

Modded Oblivion on PC using this mod list: https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/51105

It's "vanilla-plus" so none of the weird, lore-breaking stuff that other overhauls and mods love to cram in. It's also pre-patched by the curator, so you don't have to worry about conflicts and using Wrye Bash.

Honestly, this mod list is basically a modern remaster of the game (and quite likely better than what Bethesda could/would do). It plays flawlessly, improves the visuals significantly, rebalances the leveling/loot system, and fixes a ton of bugs/weirdness that held the game back.

amigastar

Basically finished up Baldur's Gate 2 but couldn't get enough of the infinity engine, so I've moved on to Icewind Dale which I also never beat. Loving it so far, liking it more than Baldur's Gate 2 really. About as much as I liked the first Baldur's Gate so far I'd give them even praise, but I'm also only a few hours in to IWD so we'll see! Hopefully it keeps on!
Icewind Dale is the more action oriented brother of Baldurs Gate 2. Why do you like it better than BG2?

Icewind Dale is the more action oriented brother of Baldurs Gate 2. Why do you like it better than BG2?
Well, like I said I'm not all that far so I can't make too many judgements. The narrative seems tight and simple so far. When I've reached some of these areas toward the end I like all the dialogue and potential options there seem to be there. Otherwise I can't say too much about it yet.

I think the change in setting is nice, maybe I was a little burnt out from having played Baldur's Gate not long before 2. I didn't like that 2 starts you in some relatively decent size dungeon that you're stuck in until you exit and toward the middle of the game you begin to get funneled from area to area that you're mostly contained in and I wasn't a huge fan of that. I did like that it finally opened back up toward the end, but in a way it felt kind of oppressive (mermen, island, under dark, on and on it felt like). I also like these games a lot better with smaller settings (ie villages and not cities, the town of BG was one of my least favorite aspects of the first game and BG2 immediately drops you into a large city after you escape that dungeon). It was still fun and I think if I played it again I would _not_ import my characters from the first Baldur's Gate as a lot of the fun I have with these games is starting out really shitty and feeling that substantial upward mobility each and every important level up. That could have contributed a little bit as well to my general feelings toward BG2.

Duchess

Finished Guardians of the Galaxy.

Very good, very funny. Recommended.

It's not without plenty of annoying bugs, though.

sedg87

Banned
Koudelka
Finished. Loved pretty much all of it. Great atmosphere and vibe. Not enough games like it.

Think I'll play Breath of Fire 4 next.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
  • Exoprimal - Can't put it down. Player level 24. 40% complete with the story. Alternating between Witch Doctor, Roadblock, Nimbus, Deadeye so far.
  • Planet of Lana - Probably half way. Need to finish it.
  • Live A Live - Picked it up after months of being on break and finished the Prehistory section, which was fantastic and hilarious. Started the Distant Future section and it's completely the opposite. What a great game. After finishing Future, probably will take another small break. Just Japan left and I'm done.
  • Sword and Fairy - Haven't played it for a week, but just got done exploring a large city and getting a new party member.

Just finished Atelier Marie. A few times, actually. The game only takes 8-10 hours.

Getting all the trophies is a bit confusing without a guide. I'm trying for the Researchers ending, but not sure how to get a few pieces of equipment.

Drake

Finished 13 Sentinels. I enjoyed, but IDK if I could play another Visual Novel type game like this again. If I want a novel, I'll go and read a book. When I play a video game I'm looking for more engagement. But the story was really good and the art style was top notch.

I'm halfway through Uncharted 4 on PC and then after that I'm gonna play Ni No Kuni 2 which I got on the Steam Summer sale.

Drake

Now, why would you want to do that? That game was such a disappointment after how good the original Ni No Kunis was.
Yeah, I heard it was more combat focused and I thought it looked fun. After 13 Sentinels I needed something like that. Even if the game isn't that good I'm only out 8 bucks.

Yeah, I heard it was more combat focused and I thought it looked fun. After 13 Sentinels I needed something like that. Even if the game isn't that good I'm only out 8 bucks.
Yeah, mostly joking. It's okay. But, I hated the Pikmin x Dragon Quest combat. I just wanted more of the style from the first game.

13 Sentinels was great, though.

Last edited:
I'm late to the party but i'm playing Elden Ring for for the first time and 15 hours in it is just confirming my view that Japanese devs are are on a whole other level than whatever utter fucking trivial nonsense western devs attempt.

Fromsoft pivoted from perfecting metroidvania to perfecting open world games whilst US/UK devs are spending their time worrying about how many trans women of colour are represented in their 4/10 clone of whatever game was popular 3 years ago.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
After finishing Final Fantasy 16 (loved the game! 9.5/10), I've been addicted to playing Rogue Legacy 2.

It's such a well-made, well-thought-out game. Extremely clever in balancing and how it approaches everything: from combat to traits, to different playstyles to castle management.

I'll likely go all the way and end up playing the game for several dozen hours even after finishing it, like Hades (120+ hours platinum).

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Horizon 2 - currently ~30h on the clock

Why was this received so "badly" by the gamers? As of now I think it is better that the first game.
Assuming you're talking about Horizon Forbidden West, it certainly is a better game than Horizon Zero Dawn. The sense of wonder and discovery was (obviously) better in HZD because it was the 1st game, but HFW excels in everything else.

I don't believe it was received badly by gamers. It has a Metacritic and Opencritic score of 88.

There was a small vocal minority that trashed the game because of its exclusivity. And then it also got overshadowed by Elden Ring as both were released in the same month.

sedg87

Banned
Breath of Fire 4
Haven't played too long; I've just got the sandflier parts from the valley. I think I like the overall aesthetic more than the third game.

Roberts

There was a small vocal minority that trashed the game because of its exclusivity.
I know you want this to be the reason, but that is only partially true. I have seen many, many playstation fans on twitter commenting its story and gameplay flaws despite nobody ever complaining about its stellar graphics. More anecdotal, but I have quite a few Ps-only friends who liked the first game and only two of them actually finished and enjoyed it, the rest abandoned it half-way. Also, I remember a lot of regulars here on Neogaf expressing their problems with the game. It's not exactly God of War 2018 universally praised scenario here.

I'm debating what to play next: Dragon Quest XI, Xenoblade 3, Chained Echos or Assassin's Creed Origins. Anyone who has played them all, feel free to recommend!

I have, the order you listed them in is pretty spot on actually. Dragon Quest XI is a GOAT JRPG (recommend the definitive edition though with the better music and extra story). Xenoblade 3 is also excellent but got a bit long / bloated for me and the story runs out of gas. Chained Echoes I didn't love so much, heart is in the right place but it kind of gates your progression a bit which makes the battles feel pointless. AC: Origins is an AC game, at this point you know what you're getting, it's fine and well made but nothing too exciting.

Last edited:

-Zelda-

Banned
Finished FF16, rather disappointing and unsure what to play next. Maybe go back to Diablo 4 for season 1.
Man, I would be all over that Diablo game if it did not force always online requirement. In the small town I live in, there is only one internet provider option and it's beyond trash. takes a long time for sites to load for me, and you can forget streaming services like netflix as you will never get into it to subscribe in the first place let alone watch anything on it. That's why I wish those shows were on blu ray, but that is an entire different topic.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I have, the order you listed them in is pretty spot on actually. Dragon Quest XI is a GOAT JRPG (recommend the definitive edition though with the better music and extra story). Xenoblade 3 is also excellent but got a bit long / bloated for me and the story runs out of gas. Chained Echoes I didn't love so much, heart is in the right place but it kind of gates your progression a bit which makes the battles feel pointless. AC: Origins is an AC game, at this point you know what you're getting, it's fine and well made but nothing too exciting.
I appreciate this! I continued AC Origins and will continue to play it, however I’m going to start Dragon Quest today!

Glad Xenoblade is second given I just finished XC2: Torna and it would have been a bit too much Xenoblade.

I’ll give Chained Echoes a pass and wait for Sea of Stars next month.

_Justinian_

Gold Member
Satisfactory.

About 15 hours in and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of this game. I'm also doing the "beginner" location. I haven't even built an actual factory yet. All I think and dream about is "How do I make this more efficient?" and now I see that I can eventually build hyper tunnels and trains!? Oh and that space elevator is freaking massive. I keep staring at it in awe. Sometimes I just stop and watch my machines working and it's the most calming thing ever.

Devil May Cry 4 on the 360...maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan this hack n slash is now nostalgic! I remember it feeling so new when it originally came out...I couldn't play it on release sadly, it was much later that I finally got to play it. This game still feels so great to play and has that classic Capcom touch to it...several features in this game haven't been surpassed even if I'm not mistaken...the time has come and so have I

Top Bottom