• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I decided to jump back into Battlefield 2042. It's kind of depressing how few servers / modes / whatevers have vehicles. I p.lay BF to drive tanks and planes and destroy stuff. What is even the point if every server is basically CoD?

Eh. Still better than CoD.

Quoting myself here. BF2042 is so hit or miss. Either you get a server full of bots, or a server full real people insulting each other. I feel like I am back in the late 2000's with the insult servers and I kind of enjoy it ngl

Crayon

So I discovered this YouTube channel electric underground. At first he seemed like an arcade purity obsessive. He is, and I disagree with many of his views, but the channel has so much more than just opinions.

He's got great ideas on fundamental gameplay and design. It's more like I like to talk about games, but he seems notably smarter than me so I find myself sucked in to the videos. They explain and expand ideas that I've only thought of in the vaguest way, or never thought of at all.

So these videos after the last few days inspired me to play a space shooter. You can call them shmups and go fuck yourself. I call them space shooters.

I had recently bought a nicely made bootleg of Cotton 2. :messenger_grinning_sweat: So last night I got down on that.

Now I'm not very good at these at all. I loved them as a kid because they were scifi. That type of game was such a staple I just took for granted it's existence. All I knew was that it started with space invader and ten years later it was one of Japan's premier exports.

So there are a few periods where I enjoyed one for a few weeks at a time. I loved r-type delta and ikaruga, and more, but that was back when I would always play for survival.

At some point in the 2000's I tried playing for score and it turned out to be way better for me. I sort of unlocked a new level of enjoyment. So since then, I start a new one playing for survival, possibly going on easy at first. Then over 3 or 4 hours I start playing for score.

So, Cotton 2.

Let's get something straight. This 4MB ram cart shits all over add-ons like the Sega CD or 32x. This is a console upgrade done right. The N64 one wasn't as good because the games that supported it -as well as they sold- don't have the shelf life of 2d games.

The Saturn can push a lot of big sprites, but the low base memory cost something important: missing frames. This along with sprite numbers and size, are the main things that would set an arcade game way above it's console version.

So the cart fixes that. The games that supported it do look closer to what you would expect in an arcade.

Cotton is slow paced and I've been finding more mechanics over like 4 hours of play. A mix of system things and commands. I feel like I can have some strategy and mix it up. Which is cool because being a tourist in this genre, my patience has a limit with the frequent restarts. This has tools to play around with and I'm not thinking of restarts at all.

The attract mode has been running for a minute now. I'm going to take one more run. Luckily I have the pretty Saturn stick because this game has no auto fire and you shoot hella fast. This would be unplayable for me on a pad because hammering my right thumb would inflame my old wrist.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Ghost of Tsushima: Still my main game and still enjoying it. Although I feel funny going into the homes of these poor peasants who got fucked over by Mongols - and I’m literally taking their supplies, linens, leather, etc. Like, what a dick move. Why you making me rob these people Sony??

Grindstone: Installed this on Steam Deck and played a little on vacation. Damn this is really good. Haven’t enjoyed a puzzle game this much since Baku Baku Animal on Saturn.

Fable: Ditto for this. Haven’t played since the Xbox days, but damn if it didn’t immediately feel great. Like slipping into a cozy pair of slippers, or burying your face in a pair of really great tits.

King Dazzar

Gave up on Spiderman 2. I just couldn't take it any longer. Too many repetitive boss fights. And whilst I like the Marvel films and Spiderman, as a game I get bored traversing the city after a while. Still, respected the game, but it's no good when you're forcing yourself to carry on. Did about 85% of it too. I hope Wolverine mixes it up and gels with me better.

I also tried Astro's Playroom and gave up after an hour. Platformers have never been my thing though even since Manic Miner from the 80's. Again, respected the game, just not for me.

So I better play something I like soon! Maybe both Star Wars Jedi games next...

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Lamplighters League. At 30 hours, just cant describe how much fun I've had. Its like Shadow Tactics but with a slightly simplified and more addicting gameplay loop. Its pretty much one of my favorite stealth games ever. I dont know if I'll be able to get the remaining crew members recruited so I could see myself playing a 2nd time to see them. Each person is pretty interesting in terms of story and abilities.

Penny's Big Breakaway. Finally started it today. Game is phenomenal if you like creative platformers not afraid to change the rules on control scheme and try something new. Replayed level 3x because it was still fun, and going for max collectibles and time attack were fun too.

dave_d

Well I finished Ghost of Tsushima a few weeks ago and have gone on to playing Alundra for the Playstation. Umm, I hope this game gets better. So far I've run into the following (both in Lars' Crypt).

I wonder if the saints were mistranslated. If they were as follows

Saint White
My teachings are beneath all others

Saint Red
My teachings are greater than blue's

Then the puzzle makes sense

Also I ran into this

I was trying to do the rooms with the lamp and the room with the slimes and thought I did it wrong. After I did it the game took a while to load and then put me in an empty room where I couldn't do anything.(So I thought I messed up) I ended up looking up a guide. Looks like I triggered a bug since it should have put me in a room with stairs that leads to a boss fight.

Fredrik

Elden Ring
Been going from level 60 to level 95 the last couple of days. I love this game so much! The most deserved GOTY ever 👑
And I’m still learning new things about it after 500+ hours. Currently using the Carian Regal Scepter staff with 60 int requirement. Saw it mentioned that you get the boost from a left hand staff, had no idea, so I’m now keeping the Meteorite staff in the left hand for gravity spell boost. Awesome! 👍

Humdinger

Just finished Deliver Us the Moon. Not bad, not great.

I give the game credit for good level design, interesting environmental puzzles, and putting me in situations I've never been in before (e.g., running out of oxygen in outer space). I got stumped a few times later in the game, but overall it's pretty easy and straightforward. I think it took me about 7 hours to complete, give or take.

I'm not a big fan of the way the story was told - through indistinct recordings of past occurrences, uncovered by a faceless protagonist. It just felt too cerebral and detached. The story didn't make a whole lot of sense. And although it's supposed to be emotionally evocative, it didn't affect me much, except maybe a little at the end, but even then that felt sort of sentimental/manipulative.

Maybe 7/10 for me.

Last edited:
I've had a really fun day racking up Peggle Nights Ace Badges. Up to 48 of 60.

I've basically found out one of the Masters is really good that I never used (Marina, Electrobolt) and that my main for like 90% of the time I've been playing kind of sucks (Master Hu, Zen Ball).

Well I finished Ghost of Tsushima a few weeks ago and have gone on to playing Alundra for the Playstation. Umm, I hope this game gets better. So far I've run into the following (both in Lars' Crypt).

I wonder if the saints were mistranslated. If they were as follows

Saint White
My teachings are beneath all others

Saint Red
My teachings are greater than blue's

Then the puzzle makes sense

Also I ran into this

I was trying to do the rooms with the lamp and the room with the slimes and thought I did it wrong. After I did it the game took a while to load and then put me in an empty room where I couldn't do anything.(So I thought I messed up) I ended up looking up a guide. Looks like I triggered a bug since it should have put me in a room with stairs that leads to a boss fight.

You're in for something alright 👀

amigastar

I'm about to play Pokemon Legends: Arceus. Did anyone play it, is it good? I'm not the biggest Pokemon fan but it looks relatively fun to me. And if not what Pokemon game you recommend, people?

I've played Yokai Watch for a short time. I liked it but the battles were strange, kinda random.

Yeah I prefer Yokai Watch to the Pokemon games

Each entry they try their hardest to mix up the battle systems. All Yokai Designs are bangers. Music and Graphics are great. Even love the plot and cast. Always gave me a Saturday Morning Cartoon feel

kunonabi

Mostly Dragonball the Breakers since the new season is amazing with the balance overhaul and it's also having a 2x exp boost. Such an upgrade over how terrible last season was.

GTA4 on PC. Was reluctant to buy and play it thinking it would sour my memory on the 360.
Installed the Fusionfix mod, cranked the traffic and graphics to max and boy was I wrong. A better GTA than 5 for sure.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Get Even.

71xmiqLPslL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Dang, that's cool. How do you like it? I've had this for years and never started it. All I know is it has a corner shot gun.
The game is similar to Condemned, because it has a lot of real-life gadgets.

But it is a Psychological Thriller game, I am liking it, because the OST is strong and puts a lot of tension due to the sounds.

The essence of the game is that you shouldn't use weapons, but since I hardly have time to play, I do use them xD.

It has more psychological themes and especially children's stories, I will not give spoilers.

The game is very psychological and plays with the mind.

The thing about the Corner gun is like in real life, but I feel that despite being an interesting weapon, in the game they overvalue it quite a bit xD.

This is the weapon of the game

cornershot-back__fdu9hrzimr_dw_cuf.png

Cornershot_eurosatory2006.jpg

images

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Still on ER's Shadow of the Erdtree.

Amazing game got an amazing expansion. Wonder how they'll try to top it on their next game.

Perhaps a new engine and a better camera? A man can dream...

Top Bottom