• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What gaming subscriptions do you consider "must haves"?

Which gaming subs do you consider must haves?

• Steam Subscriptions

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Xbox Game Pass / Ultimate

Votes: 75 41.0%
  • Nintendo Switch Online

Votes: 21 11.5%
  • Playstation Plus /

Votes: 36 19.7%
  • GeForce Now

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Prime Gaming

• Netflix Gaming

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Humble Choice

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Apple Arcade

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • EA Play / Pro

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Ubisoft+

• Other / Mods / Communities

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • NeoGAF Gold

Votes: 20 10.9%
  • None

Votes: 54 29.5%

• Total voters

Aenima

Only Gamepass and PS+ Extra offer a great amount of value for the money they cost. But the value these subs offer also depend from user to user, someone with alot of free time to play games that dont buy many games at launch will get much more value from these services than someone that can only play a few hours a week.

None of them is a "Must Have". Online gaming should never have been locked behing a paywall.

Only Gamepass and PS+ Extra offer a great amount of value for the money they cost. But the value these subs offer also depend from user to user, someone with alot of free time to play games that dont buy many games at launch will get much more value from these services than someone that can only play a few hours a week.

None of them is a "Must Have". Online gaming should never have been locked behing a paywall.
I think even if you only play a few hours a week, the value is there. It's not about trying to play everything, it's about saving on a few full priced buys, trying stuff you'd never buy etc. If a light user saves buying a couple of AAA and a couple of indies then they're already ahead.

I used to hate the idea of subs, now I view them as fomo saving, buyer's remorse saving gaming.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
There is no Steam subscription OP.

I don’t even consider Humble Choice a subscription since I pay for a month when i decide I want the games.

xrnzaaas

This is very subjective. If you like mods you're gonna want to have a mod sub, if PS4/PS5 are your primary platforms you'll want at least base PS+, if you have nostalgia towards Nintendo classics then it's Switch Online, if you like the Netflix approach it's going to be Game Pass / PS+ Extra and so on.

Personally I'm against Game Pass like subscriptions. My free time is limited and I like to plan myself what I'm going to buy and play next. Not a fan of resorting to what's in the sub and worrying is it potentially getting removed.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
None. Video game subscription platforms are a scam. Always. You know what the 'best deal in gaming is'? Buying a game, playing it, enjoying it, and ensuring that the developer makes another one.

And there's no such thing as 'Steam subscriptions'.

I would say Apple Arcade is worth the cost of admission if you have enough Apple devices. The games work across iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and Mac and you can share your sub with up to 5 family members and play with/against them online. Apple gives out free subscriptions like candy and an annual subscription runs for $45 ($3.75 a month) at places like Costco.

Are you getting PS5, XSX, or Switch quality games? Not really, but there are games that are just as good as their console counterparts (e.g. Zen Pinball Party, Taiko no Tatsujin, Dead Cells, etc.) and the games they do have are frequently updated and free from the ads that plague the games in the App Store. Most games are compatible with controllers (PS, Xbox, and Switch controllers are all supported without any workarounds) and there are some rare games where a touch interface does come in handy.

It's not a "must have", especially if you already have your hands full with console or PC games or just hate the idea of anything mobile related, but value for money is pretty decent

MacReady13

No interest whatsoever in gaming subscriptions. I buy the games I want to play to support the developers in the hopes they can continue making the games I love. And I will continue doing that until the day subscriptions take over which is when I will stop gaming.

Reactions: SHA
Top Bottom