• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What gaming subscriptions do you consider "must haves"?

Which gaming subs do you consider must haves?

• Steam Subscriptions

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Xbox Game Pass / Ultimate

Votes: 75 41.0%
  • Nintendo Switch Online

Votes: 21 11.5%
  • Playstation Plus /

Votes: 36 19.7%
  • GeForce Now

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Prime Gaming

• Netflix Gaming

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Humble Choice

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Apple Arcade

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • EA Play / Pro

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Ubisoft+

• Other / Mods / Communities

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • NeoGAF Gold

Votes: 20 10.9%
  • None

Votes: 54 29.5%

• Total voters
I have been looking around the Starfield mods scene and thought to myself which mod places are the best to subscribe to? Which lead me to wonder how many am I currently subbed to and which ones do I keep?

Always have Game Pass Ultimate and Switch Online.

What subs do you recommend for a Starfield player for the next couple of years?

What subs do you recommend for gaming in general over the next year?

TexMex

Well for me, I play online so they all are. Not as much because I think the value is amazing, just a requirement to play.

I think the Switch one is amazing value tho. 50/year for a ton of NES/SNES/N64/GBA games has been worth it many times over for me. It’s almost all I use my switch for, especially my Lite. Love it.

Well for me, I play online so they all are. Not as much because I think the value is amazing, just a requirement to play.

I think the Switch one is amazing value tho. 50/year for a ton of NES/SNES/N64/GBA games has been worth it many times over for me. It’s almost all I use my switch for, especially my Lite. Love it.

Yep, my kids have been hammering the retro Nintendo stuff too. Well truth be told they're not the only ones, I've had my lion's share.

Same goes for online play for me as well, the friends between Discord and Xbox is my circle. The systems there are pretty awesome and easy to use.

GHG

Mod subscriptions? What the hell are you talking about?

For Starfield just go on nexus mods, browse and download whatever takes your fancy, as you would with any other game that has mods.

Mod subscriptions? What the hell are you talking about?

For Starfield just go on nexus mods, browse and download whatever takes your fancy, as you would with any other game that has mods.

I was looking at just that one. They have monthly/yearly sub plans, I like to show my appreciation in financial terms. In fact I've just subbed to premium at Nexus Mods. Insert great minds joke here...Hell if it leads to some volunteer or freelancing modders to produce more great mods I'm all for putting some cash down for the goods.

EDIT: I've also been out of the PC modding scene for along ass time, so getting back into it with Starfield.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: GHG

violence

I have gamepass for the library and PSN for online. Once both end, I’m probably not renewing either. My PC set up is pretty nice now.

Last edited:

GHG

I was looking at just that one. They have monthly/yearly sub plans, I like to show my appreciation in financial terms. In fact I've just subbed to premium at Nexus Mods. Insert great minds joke here...

You don't need to sub there unless you really need faster download speeds. The default download speeds are pretty good and there is no other benefit.

You'd be better off showing appreciation to the individual mod authors via the donation system.

Robb

Gold Member
I subscribe to GamePass but I’m not sure I would without the stacking-deal/multi-year thing.

I don’t think there’s any of them I’d consider a ‘must have’.

Cornbread78

You're missing one OP.... it counts.....
w3McXha.png

Kabelly

The only reason Nintendo gets my money for their shitty online service is because of Splatoon and even that tests me considering the awful peer-to-peer netcode they have. Splatoon deserves so much better. Also my sub auto renewed so here's to rewarding them for nothing.
9qAarXt.png

Cyberpunkd

Do you collect physical only or just play single player stuff etc?
I have a digital PS5, I don’t want to add to my backlog so I don’t buy a lot of games if I know I won’t have time to play them. Having a collection of GP games or PS+ is pointless - doesn’t matter if it’s 20 or 200 games, I won’t have time to play them.

Same for SP - I play mostly RPGs, so doing the same thing 1000 times in a multiplayer game doesn’t appeal to me. I like to take my time and reflect on playing, not be forced to grind ranks or season rewards.

Esca

Do you collect physical only or just play single player stuff etc? I'm just curious how you like to game without subs is all.
I play mainly single player games and anything that is/has multiplayer I get on the PC.
I can only game so much nowadays and I buy what I want to play most since more new games come out then I can realistically play so all the games on a sub are a waste for me.
Also I'm digital only. Don't have the room for the games much anymore

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

Gamepass ultimate and PS+ extra.

Not sure I'm going to continue to buy full years subs anymore, might switch to month purchases when I want to play something. Recent price increases got me thinking...fuck em.

I don't recommend any of them, but begrudgingly have NSO and PS+. Sometimes I play Monster Hunter online and that's really it. I do utilize the games that come with the subs, but prefer physical.

Fredrik

Must have?
None.

Game Pass is nice if you get it cheap. But they’re closing those doors and at regular price I doubt I’ll keep subbing, I play Starfield on PC anyway and I assume I’ll do the same with upcoming MS games because I want unrestricted modding.

PS+ Premium was nice when it was cheap, I got in at $5/month through PS Now conversion, but I cancelled the sub when they increased the price.

I have a Geforce Now sub, the mid founders sub at $5/month. I don’t use it tbh but it was nice when I had a lower end PC and could try out RTX.

Apple Arcade was nice to play Fantasian but it’s too expensive for the number of great games they have there.

But as said, none are must have services imo.

Killjoy-NL

PS Plus, but I'd call it a necessity rather than "must-have"

On that note:

FFXIV sub is a must-have, tbh. But I do not have a continuous subscription

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
i have the regular Nintendo subscription that you pay like $20 for a year mainly so I can play mario kart online although I did play some of the old mario platform games that the subscription gives you access to

Codes 208

i play games online so things like NOS and PS+ are a requirement

Gamepass ultimate/pc however is definitely a worthwhile convenience as a former xbox fan (now pc gamer)

Cyberpunkd

I play mainly single player games and anything that is/has multiplayer I get on the PC.
I can only game so much nowadays and I buy what I want to play most since more new games come out then I can realistically play so all the games on a sub are a waste for me.
Also I'm digital only. Don't have the room for the games much anymore
Are you me?

High Five Friends GIF by Amazon Freevee

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I dont care for none of them, I'm simple person. I buy physical copy of the games interested in and I dont play online....thats it, nothing more and nothing less.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Oh god I’m the only one who voted for Apple Arcade. Don’t shame me, GAF. 😩

Imagine thinking that you need at least 1 subscription. I mean I guess it's 2023, you're supposed to have like 7 subs to things and pay $200 a month like some survey of Americans was saying

supernova8

Banned
Interesting to see that so many people on Xbox, presumably many/most of whom are subscribed to Game Pass, decided it was worth paying $35 to get Starfield a couple of days early.
I kinda thought the whole point of Game Pass was to pay a monthly fee and not have to pay for shit individually. $35 for a single fuckin game, that you could play tomorrow at no additional cost if you just waited... Jesus Christ.

Then again, it's their money and it's not like it really detracts from the experience of (patient) folks who choose to wait for the "official" release. Just an interesting phenomenon...

Kinda implies that this stuff is going to get worse and worse as time goes by. In the not-so-distant future, Game Pass might end up being a load of shit unless you agree to be nickle and dimed.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Interesting to see that so many people on Xbox, presumably many/most of whom are subscribed to Game Pass, decided it was worth paying $35 to get Starfield a couple of days early.
I kinda thought the whole point of Game Pass was to pay a monthly fee and not have to pay for shit individually. $35 for a single fuckin game, that you could play tomorrow at no additional cost if you just waited... Jesus Christ.

Then again, it's their money and it's not like it really detracts from the experience of (patient) folks who choose to wait for the "official" release. Just an interesting phenomenon...

Kinda implies that this stuff is going to get worse and worse as time goes by. In the not-so-distant future, Game Pass might end up being a load of shit unless you agree to be nickle and dimed.
the worst part is you don't keep the game, you pay for the premium version but if your gp runs out you can't play anymore the premium upgrade
then they will be mad at Rockstar shrak cards and COD skins

Any sub that offers your moneys worth.
Personally I have not enough time to finish everything I want before it leaves on Plus Premium. But I guess depending on your gaming tastes all options can be the right choice. Seems like a decent amount of options to choose from, evreryone should find one or two services to enjoy, or maybe none if they buy anyway at full price at release or whatever.

Top Bottom