• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game will sell more? Hogwarts Legacy or Tears of the Kingdom? (Up: Hogwarts finishes almost 2 million ahead up to Feb '24)

What will sell more more?

• Hogwarts Legacy

Votes: 137 42.2%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Votes: 188 57.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

.Pennywise

Banned
Betting time!

So what do you think will sell more of this two games releasing in 2023.

Hogwarts Legacy, belonging to a mainstream audience and one of the biggest pop culture franchises, multiplatform game.
Or Tears of the Kingdom, from one of the biggest, most beloved gaming franchises and sequel to award winning game Breath of the Wild.

i voted TOTK but now i actually think about it i think it'll be Hogwarts as long as it's not a total mess.

Zelda will sell a fuck load for sure but HP is a bigger brand and more child friendly.

Nautilus

Banned
Off, hard to say.

Its easy to assume that Tears will do around the same as BOTW, which would be 30 million which you could count on one hand the number of ganes that do that. On the other hand, Harry Potter is one of the biggest IPs ever, and Hogwarts Legacy is THE dream Harry Potter game. Hell, the tie in games used to sell several millions each, and they were mediocre games. So yeah, the game has potential.

Chastten

Banned
Hogwarts seem like a safe bet, unless it turns out to be a really bad game or TotK does launch alongside a Switch Pro. Both don't seem to be the case though.

TotK will sell really well, but it won't do as well as BotW since it seems by all accounts to be a direct sequel stuck to aging hardware. It doesn't have close to the hype of BotW which was a 'first' and exciting new direction in the series on a new piece of hardware.

Meanwhile Harry Potter is also a massive franchise, launching on every piece of hardware known to mankind, and everything seems to indicate that this will be the first good game in the franchise, since, like... forever.

Woopah

Hogwarts being on way more platforms will give it the advantage I think. We'll get the final TOTK sales, but I'm not hopeful we'll get public data on final Hogwarts sales.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Zelda, but Hogwarts will definitely have legs. I just don't think it's going to quite ship the 25m Zelda is bound to move eventually.

Banned
Zelda.
simply due to the fact that Nintendo games tend to sell at high numbers for months or even years.

even if the initial launch numbers are higher for Hogwarts, Zelda will overtake it eventually

Last edited:

Havoc2049

As an RPG fan, I would be EXTREMELY leary of Hogwarts, as Avalance makes a lot of shovelware licensed trash. Some of their past winners include Rugrats, Hanna Montana, Toy Story and Cars.

TuFaN

I've watched all Harry Potter movies and I enjoyed them a lot, but I'm not a huge fan of that world. I've played almost every Zelda game multiple times and I can't get enough of that franchise.
Considering those facts I still have to say it is quite hard to say.

What we know is, that Hogwarts Legacy is getting released on ALL modern gaming platforms except phones and Zelda only on the Switch.
So I'll say that Hogwarts will sell more but Zelda will be the GOTY.

acm2000

an open world harry potter game by a developer who makes shit games vs an open world zelda game thats a sequel of the most overrated game of recent times.

excuse me while i tremble with hype :messenger_tears_of_joy:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Unless Hogwarts has some huge issues at launch, then I think it'll sell far more.

Especially over time.

BoTW sales number Per Google:

27.79 million unit

Part of the hugely popular Zelda franchise of video games, BotW has accumulated over 27.79 million unit sales as of September 2022.

Even if Tears of the Kingdoms sold half of that, it would still win.

Hustler

If Hogwarts was a multiplayer game, I could see it outselling Tears possibly. But Breath of the Wild sold nearly 28 million…. I don’t see Hogwarts pulling in those kind of numbers as a single player game. (I still can’t believe this isn’t a co op / shared experience game)

I’m buying Hogwarts day 1 btw.

Gudji

Hogwarts Legacy releases on PC, PS4, PS5, Switch, Xbox Series, Xbox One and its the most popular IP between the two (it will also have more and bigger discounts). So I voted that but in the end it will come down to how good the game is.

There isn't an universe where I see Hogwarts Legacy being more relevant than motherfucking Zelda! That being said HL is a multiplatform title.

You know what, I really don't care about Harry Potter but for the all the fans out there I hope it turns out great!

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I’m the biggest Nintendo / Zelda fan around but Harry Potter on multiple platforms will destroy Zelda in sales.

BootsLoader

Banned
Hogwarts Game because it is Multiplattform and because it’s a really well known brand. Until they fuck it up of course which I highly doubt.

Rykan

I’m the biggest Nintendo / Zelda fan around but Harry Potter on multiple platforms will destroy Zelda in sales.
Hogwarts Game because it is Multiplattform and because it’s a really well known brand. Until they fuck it up of course which I highly doubt.
BOTW sold 27 million copies. Meanwhile, the best selling Harry Potter games are HP & the philosophers stone (12m), Chamber of Secrets (7M) and Lego Harry Potter (8M). You people are seriously overestimating the combination of Popular franchise + Good/Decent Game. Fallen Order is similar in that regard, and it's nowhere near BOTW sales either despite being on a comparably popular IP and widely considered to be a good game.

It's probably going to do well if it's a good game, but there's no way it's going to be doing Zelda numbers.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
BOTW sold 27 million copies. Meanwhile, the best selling Harry Potter games are HP & the philosophers stone (12m), Chamber of Secrets (7M) and Lego Harry Potter (8M). You people are seriously overestimating the combination of Popular franchise + Good/Decent Game. Fallen Order is similar in that regard, and it's nowhere near BOTW sales either despite being on a comparably popular IP and widely considered to be a good game.

It's probably going to do well if it's a good game, but there's no way it's going to be doing Zelda numbers.
While you have a point, I think times have changed now and the marketing for the Hogwarts game is superior to the previous games. Plus, this time they are making a serious game in comparison with previous games which were mediocre. I don’t know, maybe my understanding is wrong.
By the way, I’m a big Zelda fan, since Ocarina of Time.

Deerock71

I'm going with TotK, because I'm sure it's going to be a cross-gen game, which will force many early adopters (like me) to buy it twice.

Jinzo Prime

I'm a Zelda fan, but unless TotK is revolutionary, I don't see it pulling the same numbers as BotW. In fact, we know that games like Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Skyward Sword sold less than their predecessors.

That being said, can a single-player Harry Potter game outsell a Switch flagship title with all of Nintendo's marketing behind it? Guess we will find out.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Out of the gate: Hogwarts. Easily. Zelda I feel has to REALLY bring it by addressing the glaring issues BOTW has, to get people to jump in like they did in 2017 (or whenever that game came out).

Harry Potter is Harry Potter though, and that this is looking like an actually GOOD use of the IP only increases the fervor.

. . .long term, I can see BOTW2 putting in work and selling more. Not sure why these two games are being compared though.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Hogwarts is multiplatform. Zelda will sell plenty, but the multiplatform nature should boost hogwarts sales.

Tams

Both will sell very well, but Harry Potter looks like it has mediocre gameplay, so will be relying very heavily on people's love for the franchise.

If it where just the love for the franchise that would drive sales, then Hogwarts Legacy would sell more hands down. But Zelda does have ardent fans, but in addition is being made by people who not only have well-known and fantastic records of making great games, have already made on in the same vein as Tears of the Kingdom.

On the other hand, Avalanche Software have a recent history of only making mediocre film tie-in games. And there's no film to go with Hogwarts Legacy to help push it - not to mention that the last two Fantastic Beasts have somewhat tarnished the Harry Potter brand.

I don't put much value in the Switch only vs. multiplatform debate. Most people are not going to double dip on this and are there are over 114 million Switches out there, which by May won't have had a major game for 9 months.

Last edited:
Top Bottom