• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game will sell more? Hogwarts Legacy or Tears of the Kingdom? (Up: Hogwarts finishes almost 2 million ahead up to Feb '24)

What will sell more more?

• Hogwarts Legacy

Votes: 137 42.2%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Votes: 188 57.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gambit2483

Have you seen the last gameplay showcase?
After watching that showcase I just don't see how this game is supposed to run on Switch. After seeing Pokemon Scarlett/Violet (yes I know the dev is trash) running on Switch it feels almost impossible...unless they seriously dumb down a lot of the geometry/physics/textures/models/ lighting effects etc. etc....there's just no way

Flabagast

Yes. You can fly around, go to a specific place to fight, and create your own room where you can play with animals. Are you able to Abra Cadabra any person in the game? Make anything in the game float? I still didn't get what exactly is the game besides being open world and offering you a lot of options to do stuff, something is missing for me. It does look like an Assasin's Creed type of game where you just go about and do things, I guess for me there's no there there. Maybe another trailer will tie all the pieces together.
You sum it up very well. The game seems to do a lot of things but at the same time it has not shown any sense of direction or what will be the main adventure whatsoever. It is really weird, rarely has a game shown so much before release while telling so little about what the core experience will consist in. It is not really reassuring imho

Hoppa

Zelda. I can see it at #1 on the Nintendo e shop top selling for at least a year easily. Hogwarts will lose steam in a month

Griffon

Who says it's not? How about we wait to actually hear from Nintendo regarding Tears of the Kingdom before we assume it's not launching with new hardware...as it should.
The brand new nintendo hardware releasing this May? With less than 4 months of lead time and completely skipping June/E3-type shows? Nothing but wishful thinking. It would be nice if I was wrong but it's not realistic.

To be clear, the only game that interest me out of both is Zelda.
But without a new console to go with I don't believe it'll ever scratch BotW's insane reach.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
The brand new nintendo hardware releasing this May? With less than 4 months of lead time and completely skipping June/E3-type shows? Nothing but wishful thinking. It would be nice if I was wrong but it's not realistic.
The Switch was announced in October, presented in January, and released in March. While we knew about NX, the mainstream people didn't. Not to mention Nintendo announced and released games in less than 3-4 months. This isn't 2000s when you needed a long news cycle, not to mention TikTok people need thing right away.

Tams

The Switch was announced in October, presented in January, and released in March. While we knew about NX, the mainstream people didn't. Not to mention Nintendo announced and released games in less than 3-4 months. This isn't 2000s when you needed a long news cycle, not to mention TikTok people need thing right away.
The normal Switch TotK special edition has been leaked.

No Switch successor is coming with TotK. Give it up.

ikbalCO

I can not wait to play hogwarts legacy, pre ordered it a month ago.

But i bought a switch for tears of the kingdom, thing i wouldnt do for any other game.

So, hope thats enough to explain my position.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח

I wasn't suggesting there will be, because yes, the moment I saw the leak I knew those dreams were gone.

I was just mentioning it's possible for Nintendo to do a half a year of promotion for new hardware.

John Bilbo

Breath of the Wild Remastered + Tears of the Kingdom double pack releasing on the next system a year after the release of Tears of the Kingdom?

Airbus Jr

Banned
Zelda ToK will break record both sales and GOTY award at the same time

Almost any zelda game are critically aclaimed game with a few exceptions

Hogwarts were made by Ubisoft so 50/50 chance it can be good or bad can go both ways

Not to mention the purple haired community will bombard hogwarts legacy metacritic review so im certain hogwarts metascore will be lower than zelda tok

Last edited:

Baki

Zelda sold 27M units over a period of 5 years. Hogwarts is releasing on all platforms but has a delayed release for last-gen. I think Hogwarts wins, even if the delayed release will hurt sales on the Switch and its success in Japan. This is all dependant on Hogwarts being a 8/10 solid game with good word of mouth.

Elysion

Banned
I think we should also keep in mind that there‘s a good chance that TotK will sell less than BotW, perhaps significantly so. That‘s a pretty common phenomenon with big Nintendo IPs, and is probably one of the reasons why many of them only get one game per generation. Skyward Sword sold significantly less than Twilight Princess, just like Mario Galaxy 2 sold significantly less than Galaxy 1, or like Majora‘s Mask sold significantly less than OoT. And I have no doubt that, if IPs like Mario Kart or Smash Bros had more than one game per gen, that the subsequent entries would sell less than the first ones. This isn’t the case for all Nintendo IPs, but certainly for the big ones.

Furthermore, BotW was a very unique game that launched alongside a new system, and was also the very first open world (3d) Zelda game. TotK on the other hand will be a direct sequel, and the novelty of BotW‘s unique gameplay systems has worn off by now. If TotK ‚only‘ manages to sell 20 million copies for example, as opposed to BotW‘s almost 30 million, then it wouldn’t be that hard for Hogwarts Legacy to overtake it imo.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Probably Zelda because the the 10 people who actually boycott hogwarts will buy Zelda..

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Might be close initially as Hogwarts will probably have a tonne of front loaded sales from massive Potter nerds whereas Tears of the Kingdom will probably sell millions of copies a year for the next 3-4 years.

Fatmanp

The only thing stopping it being Zelda is if a new console is released within 12 months and their isn't a version available at launch. Nintendo games sell through the lifespan of a console so if that ends without a jump on point it could sell fewer than it should.

Rykan

BOTW sold 27 million copies. Meanwhile, the best selling Harry Potter games are HP & the philosophers stone (12m), Chamber of Secrets (7M) and Lego Harry Potter (8M). You people are seriously overestimating the combination of Popular franchise + Good/Decent Game. Fallen Order is similar in that regard, and it's nowhere near BOTW sales either despite being on a comparably popular IP and widely considered to be a good game.

It's probably going to do well if it's a good game, but there's no way it's going to be doing Zelda numbers.
This is gonna age well, I'm sure.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Seeing as one is available on multiple and the other only one.

Hogwarts has the potential for a lot more sales than Zelda.

ron burgundy anchorman GIF

But seeing as Zelda will be the better game overall. Quality always rises.
There might be a chance Zelda outsells Hogwarts in the end.
Cant Believe Here We Go Again GIF by Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore

All the points to me.

Harry Potter Lol GIF by Sky

legend of zelda GIF
Maybe I called it ?

I think Zelda will sell more

Anyone got those numbers

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Hasn't Zelda already sold same amount than HL? Last time we knew it was at 12M in one month and Zelda sold 10M in three days.

Scotty W

Gold Member
Zelda games have always had legendary legs, so Zelda.
I think one of the secrets is that Zelda games are not made irrelevant by sequels, usually. And they age well enough that normies can go back and play them later.

Older Ass Creed or CoD games, for example, because I could have the sane experience with better graphics and qol improvements with a newer game. Older Pikmin and Splatoon games are examples off this.

It is interesting that Nintendo rarely makes more than one sequel to a game without drastic changes.

Links Awakening got 2 sequels, which are basically the same. Wind Waker got 2 on the DS. NSMB got 2.

Ocarina is a special case because, like the original, it was archetypal, in that all games copied it for years. Considered in this light, Ocarina got 1 direct sequel, and 3 pseudo sequels, WW, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. Interesting that of these pseudo sequels, only the one that people did not want is the one that has legs today.

cormack12

Gold Member

Hogwarts: 22 million

TOTK: 19.5 million with data up till Sept 31st.
Delta: As of June 30th TOTK was at 18.51 million (https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...lls-more-than-18-million-copies-in-two-months)

So between June 30th and Sept 31st, it sold 1 million copies across 3 months. It needs to sell 2.6 million copies in 3 months to take Hogwarts crown. Did the holiday boost sales?

Top Bottom