• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what happened to mk1 female fighters design

Crayon

They changed Sonya a bit too...
L1cucQ5.jpg

9VnZGP9.png

That is such a massive improvement.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
They look much more natural, feminine, and beautiful than all prior iterations? Namely the more recent ones like MKX & MK11.

With much older ones you might try to make a case for beauty, primarily from cutscenes rather than gameplay, but they are in very videogamey/halfway-to-anime style that doesn't look like a real human like these do.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
but they are in very videogamey/halfway-to-anime style that doesn't look like a real human like these do
I don’t understand why is that bad thing? You are not playing game like MK for immersion or realism.

The character absolutely destroys each others bodies and bones in full detail and they get right back up as if nothing happened.

Last edited:

kunonabi

I almost feel like they do it on propose so when they release the classic costumes, you're more likely to purchase.
Problem is that the classic costumes don't look great on the new models. Like Mk3 Sonya's outfit doesn't really work without that Kerri Hoskins physique. MK1 should fare a little better in that regard as Tanya and Li Mei are really the only ones that should suffer from that issue.

Gojiira

But erm Sindel and Mileena look Gorg in the most recent trailer, for once they actually look pretty great…Cant wait until Nyl gets his hands on the models for some degeneracy 😂

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I can play the games yall be playing.

Kitana had the perfect model and look in the last game, they ruined it.
Let's look.

First, Kitana in MK11 with her brother who was out traveling:

WKOidAm.png

Pretty good. There is some charm there.

Now we did get a good look at her sister Mileena before the curse hits.

syYqA5J.png

Not huge amounts different. Definitely more human-looking. Pretty cute still, I'd say. But let's put the fam together because it's hard to tell how alike they are with all the masks.

2p10cun.png

Yeah they look a lot alike. They both look similar to their mother, but we haven't seen their dad in this so it's hard to tell how much they are weighted to his likeness, but I'm pretty sure they would have internally considered this.

DrFigs

Netherrealm always had pretty bad female character designs. But yeah it's certainly a trend that women with big breasts are sexist to have in games or whatever.

RCU005

Mileena and Sindel look better in MK1. Kitana looked beautiful in MK11, but still look good in MK1.

Tanya looks bad. Personally, I really don’t like her design at all.

Last edited:
I think Sindel, Tanya, Li Mei, and Ashrah look great in MK11.

There's a very bizarre issue though where the men are insanely attractive comparatively to the women. The MK subreddit has tons of posts about going gay over reptile, and Kano in 11.

Also, this might be an issue for some people, but there isn't a single white woman in the primary cast. I haven't really seen anyone comment on this yet, and I don't care as MK has always been based primarily around people of Asian descent.

MK has really struggled with good female design throughout its history, with the worst being MK Deception Sonya, MK9 Sonya, and MK9 Mileena ribbons.

The best female designs have probably been MK11 Jade, MK Deception Jade, [alt] MK Deception Mileena, MK3 Sindel [honestly all of her variations have been decent], I'm also a fan of OG Sonya costumes.

MiguelItUp

They look much more natural, feminine, and beautiful than all prior iterations? Namely the more recent ones like MKX & MK11.

With much older ones you might try to make a case for beauty, primarily from cutscenes rather than gameplay, but they are in very videogamey/halfway-to-anime style that doesn't look like a real human like these do.
Agreed. As someone that's pushing 40 I'd much rather get their MK1 look than something that resembles some adolescent's wet dream. Their female models are at least looking better, cause for awhile they were looking pretty rough. Even when people thought they "looked good." I LOVED MK9, adored it. But some of the female characters in that looked pretty rough. Probably the most negative MK1 critique from me is how some of the outfits really look like something out of a Marvel movie or something.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
So she’s been turned from a cartoon into a still slim and fit still very conventionally attractive much more realistic looking woman that is dressed like the original design?

Wow. What a truly devastating blow.

What, you’re acting like she’s hideous now because she doesn’t have equally massive tits?

Would you reject this athlete-level blonde woman in real life?
Yes?

You might like your women to have a strong male jaw line, flat chest and no hips - but I don’t.

Puscifer

Last edited:

radewagon

Mortal Kombat 9 was the last good MK game. The designs started getting worse after that.
Don't get me wrong. As someone who basically gave up on the series once it went 3D, I was floored by how much of a return to form MK9 was. I fell in love with the snappy kombat, delightful violence, and throwback visual design. That said.... the same design choices that were so cool looking back then have aged VERY poorly. Honestly, looking at them today is kind of cringe. They look like bargain bin Frank Frazetta fanarts or something.

Hoppa

I can play the games yall be playing.

Let's look.

First, Kitana in MK11 with her brother who was out traveling:

WKOidAm.png

Pretty good. There is some charm there.

Now we did get a good look at her sister Mileena before the curse hits.

syYqA5J.png

Not huge amounts different. Definitely more human-looking. Pretty cute still, I'd say. But let's put the fam together because it's hard to tell how alike they are with all the masks.

2p10cun.png

Yeah they look a lot alike. They both look similar to their mother, but we haven't seen their dad in this so it's hard to tell how much they are weighted to his likeness, but I'm pretty sure they would have internally considered this.
I didn't even realise it was Sindel in the trailer until they showed her moveset, she looks very similar to Li Mei. Kitana and Mileena make sense since they're sisters, I remember they used the same face model for them in MK11 so prob same for this game too

FeralEcho

I'll be the first to complain about bad female designs (cough" Spiderman 2 )but these look really great with the exception of Tanya who has a horsemask on her head.

Milleena and Kitana are both in their best designs ever.MK 11 designs looked like garbage.

in general this game has so sleek sexy looking characters both male and female so i don't know what you're talking about.

Lethal01

I thought we were talking about the costumes of which some are obviously desexualized. But the face? most of them are way hotter and more feminine.

Filben

Mileena, Sindel, Kitana look good. It's the outfits that look ridiculous. Tanya doesn't look into the camera is partly hidden by her hair. So can't say for sure.

I'm not sure if pointing out four designs is enough to make a point.

Top Bottom