• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what happened to mk1 female fighters design

Kikorin

I think them looks great and generally more attractive than before, just younger and more "asian", if make sense. Usually the female design in MK has always been ugly, Sonya looked like a trans before MK11.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
They changed Sonya a bit too...
L1cucQ5.jpg

9VnZGP9.png
Why does Nu Sonya look like Dolph Lundgren?

I don't see the issue.

People desperate to find something "woke" they can cry about but it really isn't there...
Agreed. I've already brought this up before, but hairstyle, makeup, and outfits matter much more to guys than guys think, and most of us here tend to blame it all on other factors. A classic example is with TLoU 2. Simply letting the hair down for the protagonists is a gigantic change:
EcH_yXEXgAAooFp

84572ea28f99efd7bcf5cb5c5d74583d.jpg

or935gmp94951.jpg

It's the smallest changes that make the biggest impact. So in the case of MK 1, putting these women in high-waisted leggings with ponytails, while realistic, is making people on GAF question their attractiveness because imo they look like workout moms. Attractive workout moms, but still moms nonetheless.

The difference between seeing a guy as a sweaty metal music fan or a suave classy guy(and this can be the exact same man on a different day) literally comes down to wardrobe, beard style, and haircut.

Meanwhile Capcom ready to make bank with the inevitable swimwear outfits for Juri, Chunli and Cammy..

Current MKs visual style is ugly, It’s a creative choice to remove the sex appeal by giving the women more masculine features and cheek bones that do splash damage. even the outfits the women wear looks like boner killing maternity clothing

I recall them saying they designed it to be practical, maybe it is, maybe you wouldn’t defend your realm with your tits hanging out, but I don’t care, pretty women activate my neuron’s so as petty as it sounds, this kills my interest as there are plenty of other good fighters out right now that give me what I want.

GymWolf

Faces were weird even before tbh.

Not a huge downgrade when the baseline was also meh.

Tanya is the worse of the bunch, she look like that black model with the fucked up jaw that people consider beatiful and brave.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
The big bad in this one is armed with an ugly stick, and boy do he know how to use it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

GymWolf

It would help if these screenshots weren’t YouTube compressed blurry messes.

Regardless, I’ll review this fairly.

Mileena = better
Sindel = same
Kitana = worse
Tanya = better

Idk what happened with Kitana but she gives me the ‘modern mom’ image, especially with those high waisted leggings and that top. It’s weird and a gigantic downgrade. The designs for the rest are better and Sindel keeps being treated with the best care in both beauty and style. I don’t know why that’s a thing either.

The ones who are currently whining about the lack of cleavage will stop caring once they show the alternate outfits. The same thing happened with Street Fighter 6. As for the ones who are complaining about the faces, I only agree that Kitana looks worse. I don’t see any agendas, especially since they’ve greatly improved Mileena and Tanya.
Yeah they really improved tanya.

Also new tanya be like

Ponahalo-Mojapelo-20.jpg

Dural

Mileena, Kitana, and Sindel all look way better. People were complaining about how shit they looked in MK11, this is an upgrade in my eyes.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Agreed. I've already brought this up before, but hairstyle, makeup, and outfits matter much more to guys than guys think, and most of us here tend to blame it all on other factors. A classic example is with TLoU 2. Simply letting the hair down for the protagonists is a gigantic change:
EcH_yXEXgAAooFp

84572ea28f99efd7bcf5cb5c5d74583d.jpg

or935gmp94951.jpg

It's the smallest changes that make the biggest impact. So in the case of MK 1, putting these women in high-waisted leggings with ponytails, while realistic, is making people on GAF question their attractiveness because imo they look like workout moms. Attractive workout moms, but still moms nonetheless.

The difference between seeing a guy as a sweaty metal music fan or a suave classy guy(and this can be the exact same man on a different day) literally comes down to wardrobe, beard style, and haircut.
I mean, Dina had a fatty
dave-chappelle-flirty-lip-bite-bc0eu507okpx1d7w.gif

kunonabi

Mileena, Kitana, and Sindel all look way better. People were complaining about how shit they looked in MK11, this is an upgrade in my eyes.
Nobody was complaining about mk11 Sindel. She was like the one female character nobody had any issue with. MK11 wasn't even that bad with the female designs outside of Sheeva, Sonya, and the combat kids really, it was just a lot of the default outfits were bloody terrible.

xrnzaaas

Attractive female fighters aren't allowed in Mortal Kombat since MK11. This doesn't apply to male fighters of course - they can be hot and bare chested. Netherrealm went full woke quite a few years ago.

Inspector Q

The main thing that bothers me will probably get me labeled as a racist, lol. But it's not that. I just want the characters to look like the characters. Kitana and Mileena from both MK11 and MK1 just look like Oriental women performing cosplay. Now Sindel has joined the group. Just comes off as a bizarre change. This has nothing to do with whether or not they are attractive. They just look nothing like the characters they are portraying.

Tanya looks like shit AND looks nothing like any previous version of Tanya.

Now Ashrah and Sareena were hit with the ugly stick, lol. They are freaking hideous with that malformed scalp thing they both have going on. I guess they did a good job if that is what they were going for.

Don't have a problem with Li Mei or Sonya. Not a huge fan of Li Mei's outfit which brings me to my next point:

Someone on this dev team has a thing for peep toe shoes on their females, lol. Some variety would be nice...

stn

A lot of the female characters look too similar, IMO. Same thing for the males -- look at Kung Lao and Raiden, for example. They look the same. Apart from Baraka, Shao, Kenshi, and Cage, the other males look boring and same as shit. Luckily, there will be alternate costumes and gear.

Crayon

The main thing that bothers me will probably get me labeled as a racist, lol. But it's not that. I just want the characters to look like the characters. Kitana and Mileena from both MK11 and MK1 just look like Oriental women performing cosplay. Now Sindel has joined the group. Just comes off as a bizarre change. This has nothing to do with whether or not they are attractive. They just look nothing like the characters they are portraying.

Tanya looks like shit AND looks nothing like any previous version of Tanya.

Now Ashrah and Sareena were hit with the ugly stick, lol. They are freaking hideous with that malformed scalp thing they both have going on. I guess they did a good job if that is what they were going for.

Don't have a problem with Li Mei or Sonya. Not a huge fan of Li Mei's outfit which brings me to my next point:

Someone on this dev team has a thing for peep toe shoes on their females, lol. Some variety would be nice...

Not racist but "oriental" is just used for antiques now and not people.

faorXXXII_hali_235_405.gif

I do remember when it was the common vernacular, though. Also: asking every asian kid if they knew karate lol.

Inspector Q

Not racist but "oriental" is just used for antiques now and not people.

faorXXXII_hali_235_405.gif

I do remember when it was the common vernacular, though. Also: asking every asian kid if they knew karate lol.
What's ironic about it is that I didn't want to use the term "Asian" because I thought THAT would be a problem because Asian people come from a ton of different places. More the fool me, I guess, lol.

HoodWinked

Aside from Tanya which looks terrible, this is feeling alot like the nontroversy of the Starfield title screen.

whos-behind-tanya-also-hey-tanya-v0-wr2hjw7j9edb1.png

Last edited:

Crayon

What's ironic about it is that I didn't want to use the term "Asian" because I thought THAT would be a problem because Asian people come from a ton of different places. More the fool me, I guess, lol.

Well see your intentions were good! I also think "asian" is kinda weird because it is used exactly the way we used "oriental" anyhow. It just means "I can't really tell a korean person from japanese or chinese etc so how about I use something more general". So I think your line of thinking is intuitive.

SSfox

Mileena looks amazing in MK1, I just hope she will play great as well. I don't care about the other females that much but I don't think they look that bad.

The only thing I really dislike are the Kameos, I just prefer pure 1 VS 1. The tag and assist I can only tolerate that shit in crossover games.

Fbh

Other than Tanya I don't see the issue.
The rest look good IMO.

Sindel looks more "cute" than "sexy" but she still looks good.
Mileena and Kitana look good. Also with them you are basically comparing carefully designed key art of their old design with a zoomed in screenshot of a random cutscene

I actually thought most of the female faces looked pretty good in MK11 especially Sindel who I thought looked really good. In MK1 as far as faces go, I think Mileena looks improved. Kitana? I’m not sure, but I think she looks slightly better. Sindel? Different, but still attractive. Tanya looks worst, but maybe it’s a bad angle or screenshot perhaps?

Now I feel lot of the female costumes look almost homogenized or even kind of plain in MK1. They aren’t bad, but I feel most of them kind of lack personality or uniqueness I suppose. Look at Nina, Acuzena, Xiayou, Lili and Asuka in Tekken 8 for example. Each character’s outfit displays their personality and looks distinctive from each other imo.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Mileena and Kitana:

Fymgh64WYBYL4at.jpg:large

MuVEyiP.png

Dare I say the models actually look better than the model.

PeteBull

Sonya Blade from og mortal kombat had amazing strong and sexy design, even back then, fricken 1992 game

Hell look what babe they found for mk3 mocap session ofc it was all before woke agenda started to rule the development, good simple times ;*(

miklonus

Eh, Ashrah is a huge downgrade too and Li Mei has the same generic Asian face that Sindel and Kitana have. Tanya is still the worst of the bunch but Tanya sucks regardless so I find it hard to really care one way or the other. I don't mind them going for more natural looks after how excessive MK9 was but they're definitely aiming to downplay the women as much as possible. It wouldnt stand out as much if the men weren't all super attractive and as super jacked as can be.
The men look super generic as well. This game looks like they had ne male model, and one female model, and they made a bunch of different characters based off two models that all look similar to one another. Half the men look alike too.whether they're attractive, slightly attractive, or unattractive, I never saw a game before, in this genre or any other, where nearly all the characters look identical to each other. I seriously can not tell a large majority of the men apart. The women not only look alike, but a large majority of them sound like Kelly Hu as well. The lack of variety is astounding.

Where Street Fighter V had too many blondes, Mortal Kombat 2023 has too many brunettes. Characters are damn-near wearing identical clothing. Sindel looks like Li Mei if you take the gray hair away.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
But erm Sindel and Mileena look Gorg in the most recent trailer, for once they actually look pretty great…Cant wait until Nyl gets his hands on the models for some degeneracy 😂

Mate Li Mei can get it too.

jwMa6sLT_400x400.jpg

I wouldnt even need to many drinks for Ashrah to get it.
8fpxQyT.png

Top Bottom