• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's the time of year for horror movies, what are you watching?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Starting off the season with John Carpenter's 'The Fog'

4k HDR Blu-ray on the Bravia 65", playing off the PS5 of course.

I feel like audiences have really come around on this one. I can remember being younger and even horror fans said it was dumb.

Legit one of the best ghost story movies ever. I live in a coastal town too, can see the water from my house. So dope, love this time of year.

fart town usa

Gold Member
JHwjCDE.jpg

SpiceRacz

I've been going through a bracket of short horror films on YouTube in the run up to October. Not gonna lie, most of them aren't great, but there are a few gems in there. Happy to share some if anyone is interested.

Also watched 'Cobweb' Monday night. I'm starting to think I have no tolerance for modern horror. 99% of it is really fucking bad.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I've been going through a bracket of short horror films on YouTube in the run up to October. Not gonna lie, most of them aren't great, but there are a few gems in there. Happy to share some if anyone is interested.

Also watched 'Cobweb' Monday night. I'm starting to think I have no tolerance for modern horror. 99% of it is really fucking bad.
Nice, share the gems please.

YouTube has some great channels with random old horror movies that don't get copyright strikes. Nothing amazing but some are really entertaining if you need some cheese.

Body Count is one I was watching a few weeks back, need to go back and finish it. Great Italian take on Friday the 13th.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
In recent releases, I thought Talk To Me was pretty decent. Hard to find decent horror movies imo 😕
Shudder has a ton of gems, I cancelled my subscription a while back but might subscribe again for October.

What kind of horror do you like? I'll try to recommend some stuff.

One that comes to mind is the 1980s remake of The Blob. That movie is so amazing, I'll leave it at that cause it's best to go in blind.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
My wife and I watch a different set of horror films/television every October. One of my favorite traditions. She never got to watch horror growing up so it's all new to her.

This year, I'm thinking we're going to watch:

• The Exorcist
  • Talk to Me
  • the new Halloween trilogy (I haven't watched them)
  • Hellraiser
  • The Mist (black and white version)

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Shudder has a ton of gems, I cancelled my subscription a while back but might subscribe again for October.

What kind of horror do you like? I'll try to recommend some stuff.

One that comes to mind is the 1980s remake of The Blob. That movie is so amazing, I'll leave it at that cause it's best to go in blind.
I like psychological horrors with thought provoking themes and symbolism that stick with you for a while , ie Babadook, hereditarily, funny games, etc,

fart town usa

Gold Member
I like psychological horrors with thought provoking themes and symbolism that stick with you for a while , ie Babadook, hereditarily, funny games, etc,
If you can handle subtitles you need to watch 'The Wailing'

It's spiritual but has a lot of symbolism and definitely makes you think and engage with the film.

It's South Korean. Don't look it up! Just set like 3 hours aside sometime this Fall and watch it in a dark room, the movie is like 2.5 hours and is worth every second.

Legit one of the most terrifying movies I've ever seen, the way it strings you along...it's amazing. Has a 99% on RT if that matters to you.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
My wife and I watch a different set of horror films/television every October. One of my favorite traditions. She never got to watch horror growing up so it's all new to her.

• The Exorcist
  • Talk to Me
  • Hellraiser
If you watch the new Halloween films please share your thoughts. Lots of divided opinions for the last two but I enjoyed them all.

Not counting the original, Halloween Kills (the 2nd one) is my personal favorite now, the overall vibe is masterful to me and the way they filmed Michael in the dark, man he looks cool as fuck!

On that note, H20 is really underrated IMO. Gets a lot of hate but if you marathon the OG movies I find it's hard to argue that it isn't one of the best ones.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie

It's spiritual but has a lot of symbolism and definitely makes you think and engage with the film.

It's South Korean. Don't look it up! Just set like 3 hours aside sometime this Fall and watch it in a dark room, the movie is like 2.5 hours and is worth every second.

Legit one of the most terrifying movies I've ever seen, the way it strings you along...it's amazing. Has a 99% on RT if that matters to you.
Love it. Will watch 😎

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I watched "No One Will Save you"

It is about the girl from last man standing fighting aliens. meh made for streaming movie.

poodaddy

Is this on Shudder?

fart town usa

Gold Member
I randomly decided to give The Howling 2 a shot a few nights ago. It's very 80's in not good way so far. Christopher Lee is the lead in it which is cool. Was that guy ever young?
Your Sister is a WEREWOLF!

Let's be honest, you watched it for the werewolf orgy scene.

This is now the thread theme.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I watched "No One Will Save you"

It is about the girl from last man standing fighting aliens. meh made for streaming movie.

You know what ? Cinematography was nice as was the girl's acting, other than that though...it's a continuous and ridiculous jump scare fest for the 1st act , a boring 2nd one and...a kinda ridiculous 3rd one with the exposition thrown in.

A movie full with constant groans, screams and zero suspense and horror.
It didn't know whether it wanted to be a "normal" alien invasion movie or something "deeper", it's basically signs + interstellar+ a lil' bit of 2001 a space Odyssey.

I've seen worse but, in the end...

6/10 from me

Last edited:

rao.d.luffy

Someone please create the 31 Days of Horror 2023 thread
Unfortunately I can't create topics here yet, but don't let the tradition die
If anyone wants, I've already made a bannner, and you can use it:

Here are the old threads for those who want to know more about it:
2022 - https://www.neogaf.com/threads/31-days-of-horror-ot-2022-nobody-is-coming-to-save-you.1642265/
2021 - https://www.neogaf.com/threads/31-days-of-horror-invasion-ot-the-october-movie-marathon.1619699/
2020 - https://www.neogaf.com/threads/31-days-of-horror-the-ravenous-ot-the-october-movie-marathon.1567775/

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President

• The Exorcist
  • Talk to Me
  • Hellraiser

Didnt know about the b&w Mist version. I love that movie

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I've been in that horror-movie mood. Recently, I've watched:

Constantine: I fell asleep watching this back in 2006, and never saw it to completion until last week. It's fantastic! Psyched about the news for a sequel

The Ninth Gate: I like neo-noir; I like horror. This one had way more of the former than the latter, but still a fun ride.

The Conjuring: Once shit (and people) start flying around the room, I lose interest, but that scene with the two girls in their bedroom where one is freaking out saying she sees something behind the door is AWESOME. Give me more of that, please. The best horror is the stuff you can relate to, and that scene was grounded in experiences I think most people have had

The Empty Man: This is a 6 out of 10 movie that could've been edited into a 9. The bones are there; the horror is solid; the storyline is unique, but it just feels messy and overlong

---------------------------------------

Anybody got any hidden gems out there with "grounded" horror combined with Christian/satanic mythology? Some of my favorites in that vein are: Hereditary, Paranormal Activity, The Blackcoat's Daughter, The Exorcist, Starry Eyes...

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I have 3 questions for you horror freaks.

1. Does The Thing still hold up?

2. What's consensus best "modern horror" movie? Any horror movies released in the last 10 years that will be considered classics?

3. Do you have any "feel good / PG13 / Holiday vibe" movie recs? IE Nightmare Before Christmas, Krampus, Trick or Treat (but not those, I've seen those)

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member

2. What's consensus best "modern horror" movie? Any horror movies released in the last 10 years that will be considered classics?

3. Do you have any "feel good / PG13 / Holiday vibe" movie recs? IE Nightmare Before Christmas, Krampus, Trick or Treat (but not those, I've seen those)
1: Yes
2: Hereditary
3: Gremlins 1 & 2

fart town usa

Gold Member

1. Fuck yes. Only part that has aged is the stop motion monster at the end of the film.

2. Barbarian for me.

3. Hocus Pocus. The OG is entertaining as hell. The Monster Squad is a classic too.

fart town usa

Gold Member

Sweet Home.

The movie for the basis of Capcom's Famicom game of the same name that inspired Resident Evil.

Awesome movie, great practical effects, has a Spielberg/Poltergeist vibe. Director hates it though and I don't think it's ever been released on DVD.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I've been in that horror-movie mood. Recently, I've watched:

Constantine: I fell asleep watching this back in 2006, and never saw it to completion until last week. It's fantastic! Psyched about the news for a sequel

The Ninth Gate: I like neo-noir; I like horror. This one had way more of the former than the latter, but still a fun ride.

The Conjuring: Once shit (and people) start flying around the room, I lose interest, but that scene with the two girls in their bedroom where one is freaking out saying she sees something behind the door is AWESOME. Give me more of that, please. The best horror is the stuff you can relate to, and that scene was grounded in experiences I think most people have had

The Empty Man: This is a 6 out of 10 movie that could've been edited into a 9. The bones are there; the horror is solid; the storyline is unique, but it just feels messy and overlong

---------------------------------------

Anybody got any hidden gems out there with "grounded" horror combined with Christian/satanic mythology? Some of my favorites in that vein are: Hereditary, Paranormal Activity, The Blackcoat's Daughter, The Exorcist, Starry Eyes...
Watch the Wailing. It's not Christian cause it's Korean but it does involve a Catholic priest. It's so damn good, really can't recommend it enough.

What I'm Watching

Zom100
Mieruko-chan
Summer of 84
No One Will Come To Save You:
Dark Harvest (October 13)
The Last Voyage of The Demeter
Talk To Me
The Boogeyman (2023)
The Fall of House of Usher
The Outer Limits
Quarantine
Satanic
Grave Encounters
[Rec 2]
Pandorum
V/H/S 85
Pet Semetary Bloodlines

Waiting for Streaming/VOD

The Nun II
A Haunting In Venice
The Sacrament
Saw X

Gonna Be Rewatching

Rosemary Baby
Trick R Treat
Sleepy Hollow
Saint Maud
A Dark Song
Susperia Remake
As Above So Below
Hellraiser (Original)
Child Play Remake
Southbound
It Part 1/2
Doctor Sleep
Pet Semetary (Remake)
The Lighthouse
The Thing
Brightburn

What I'm reading

Skeleton Crew by Stephen King
The Dark Half by Stephen King
The King In Yellow by Robert W Chambers
Hell's Paradise
The Walking Dead

What I'm playing

I might play Alan Wake 2 since I enjoyed the first game. But what I seen of Wake 2, there's some stuff that turns me off

I have both Evil Within games on Steam. So might play those too

Last edited:
Did any of you guys catch The Borderlands? I think it also had another name...The Final Prayer! I really enjoyed it. Not sure if I'd recommended on here... 🤔

Edit: Ooh - Also! I enjoyed Grave Encounters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom