• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if Naughty Dog Made a Gravity Falls Game?

JCreasy

Dipper as Drake, grown-up, exploring the mysterious (now abandoned?) town of Gravity Falls; hunting for supernatural treasures.

Maybe Mabel's gone missing and he needs to find her. That's what's drawn him back to the crazy town.

It would be like Square Enix partnering with Disney to make Kingdom Hearts.

Am I crazy? Wouldn't this be awesome?

Mariolee

I don't hate the idea. Is the show really that good? Looks like the typical tripe Disney puts out aside from Phineas and Ferb.

I want them to make a game aboard the ISS; where it gets propelled out and crashes against some planet (let's forget logic for a second; it's a video game).

The planet is habitable by day; but at night a species roams around that is pretty lethal.

The team splits up and one of the groups never returns.

The core game mechanic is to fortify the ISS crash site and survive through the nights; but during the day, you need to scavenge and look around the planet for anything at all that could help you get the heck out of there. You also try searching for this missing group.

They can take it from there; but I'm sure there are hundreds of interesting ideas you can spawn from this idea.

The game would have to be very character driven for story. It would also be interesting to go the Heavy Rain route and have the ability to lose main characters (and story); even promoting portions where you need to decide on actions to situations; which have different consequences to the life expectancy of single party members; the whole party; the planet... heck, dream big.

Moonlight

Banned
...why Naughty Dog in particular?

It's not like Gravity Falls couldn't make for a good game, but ND are really not who I'd think of if the question were ever posed to me.

hort

Neo Member
I don't hate the idea. Is the show really that good? Looks like the typical tripe Disney puts out aside from Phineas and Ferb.

It's pretty good. Much better than their usual stuff lately, about on par with phineas and ferb imo

Mabel+return+the+ball+at+once+_b039295a9a30cea6fb9cd7d2fcad4787.gif

I've never cared about any other Disney Channel cartoons before, but Gravity Falls is awesome.

As for the question, there's definitely potential for a decent Gravity Falls game, but I don't see why Naughty Dog would be the first developer to come to mind.

J-Tier

Nah. They should make a Cartoon Network Kingdom Hearts starring Samurai Jack, with Captain Planet playing the tsukkomi role.

I don't like the idea of Dipper being an adult. I'd want the characters to stay the way they are in the show. But I'd definitely be up for a Gravity Falls game. I'm sure it's going to happen eventually.

Has anyone played that recent Phineas & Ferb game? Any good?

They wouldn't even have to make Dipper an adult. Just focus on nailing the charm of the show, and put it in platformer/adventure form.

Nah, it's really good, honestly.

Not so sure about Gravity Falls, but I always thought it would be a nice idea to have an "Uncharted" game aimed at younger gamers, this could help gaining marketshares with a younger audience.

PensOwl

Banned
Honestly, I'd be down for a cheap downloadable Zelda II-ish Gravity Falls game.

...seeing as the next season won't be out until 2015, I think I'd take anything at this point

gritty, realistic adaptation of gravity falls? no. not by naughty dog. not by anyone. ever.

a cel-shaded gravity falls game that's true to the spirit of the show and the characters? someone needs to make it happen.

JCreasy

I arrived at the idea when I sort of superimposed Dipper over Drake in my mind. I started wondering what it would be like to explore the Gravity Falls universe as a third person adventure game, like Uncharted.

Then my imagination just kept going . . .

What if the twins grew-up?

What if they got a full 3D treatment, as if they existed in an Uncharted game? How would they look?

What if Naughty Dog played with the crafting ideas they introduced in The Last of Us? Ex: Dipper collecting relics to craft interesting weapons.

What if exploring the mysteries of Gravity Falls was like exploring the island on LOST?

I just kept thinking how badly I want to play this game.

Thaster

"What if Naughty Dog made a _______ game?"

Fill the blank with anything and I'll say yes.
That is EXACTLY what I thought after I read the thread title.

These "what if Naughty Dog made a _____ game" questions tend to be popping up a lot around here.

As long as the "blank" is good, people will be all for it.

LycanXIII

I want them to make a game aboard the ISS; where it gets propelled out and crashes against some planet (let's forget logic for a second; it's a video game).

The planet is habitable by day; but at night a species roams around that is pretty lethal.

The team splits up and one of the groups never returns.

The core game mechanic is to fortify the ISS crash site and survive through the nights; but during the day, you need to scavenge and look around the planet for anything at all that could help you get the heck out of there. You also try searching for this missing group.

They can take it from there; but I'm sure there are hundreds of interesting ideas you can spawn from this idea.

The game would have to be very character driven for story. It would also be interesting to go the Heavy Rain route and have the ability to lose main characters (and story); even promoting portions where you need to decide on actions to situations; which have different consequences to the life expectancy of single party members; the whole party; the planet... heck, dream big.

A Pitch Black game?

AniHawk

naughty dog shouldn't be allowed near gravity falls with a thousand-foot pole. they lost their touch for whimsy a decade ago.

michel ancel though- yeah that's the stuff right there.

JCreasy

gritty, realistic adaptation of gravity falls? no. not by naughty dog. not by anyone. ever.

a cel-shaded gravity falls game that's true to the spirit of the show and the characters? someone needs to make it happen.

Not gritty. They could nail the humor, I'm sure of it.

highly underrated show that everyone needs to watch. also you know you want to hear Kristen Schaal as mabel who also does the VA for Louise on Bob's Burger and sometimes act

JCreasy

...why Naughty Dog in particular?

It's not like Gravity Falls couldn't make for a good game, but ND are really not who I'd think of if the question were ever posed to me.

There competency with explorer/adventure games would work well for the Gravity Falls universe. I'd like to see how they'd spin a grown-up Dipper.

Bailers

My kids would love it. And beg me to buy a copy.

But a better outlet for that would be Disney Infinity. I'll take a Manitar please.

shut_up_and_take_my_money_by_thelpsdragon-d5pm72s.png

How the hell did I miss this topic?

Honestly, I'd be down for a cheap downloadable Zelda II-ish Gravity Falls game.

I'll like this too, but people totally ripped on that adventure time one, and that wasn't half bad...

At the very least it's guaranteed to be better than the WayForward version!

See above. Though I don't get all the WF hate. I think they have more good titles than bad...(Aliens DS, Boy and his Blob Wii, Ducktales Remasted, etc)

highly underrated show that everyone needs to watch. also you know you want to hear Kristen Schaal as mabel who also does the VA for Louise on Bob's Burger and sometimes act

Damn straight! GF-GAF represent!

Wii U game where the gamepad is used to browse the Journal
and it's developed chby Naughty Dog.

I think this is awesome, so would Sony using the Wonderbook technology to create a real virtual Journal 3.

naughty dog shouldn't be allowed near gravity falls with a thousand-foot pole. they lost their touch for whimsy a decade ago.

michel ancel though- yeah that's the stuff right there.

I think a gravity falls game could work, if they take a cel-shaded look to it; a kiddie Uncharted, with the hidden treasures being the weird oddities that occupy the town (think like the hidden goodies in the Ghostbusters game).

Think about it:

A young explorer
His female, reckless partner in crime
His sarcastic on and off again love interest
An elderly, world-weary father figure with his own secrets to hide

Sounds like uncharted and gravity falls to me...

It's kinda like how people want insomniac to reboot Megaman using the ratchet and clank engine. It's doable...

I want Remedy to make a Gravity Falls game in the vein of Alan Wake.

If they can make it creepy and scary (think the haunting episode), it would be great!
The show needs to return to this too!

You may want to start reading here:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=480646
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=90590693

and hopefully welcome to GF-GAF, friend!

Costume Quest is very similar to how I'd want a Gravity Falls game.

Hmm...maybe art style wise. Don't know about a GF RPG turn based...

Is this fucking Gamefaqs? Thumbs down.

url-17.gif

But a better outlet for that would be Disney Infinity. I'll take a Manitar please.

My Disney Infinity (from targets buy 2 get 1 free) will remain sealed until I get my Dipper, Mabel, and Wendy figures! Don't be stupid, Disney! You're already doing Phineas and Ferb!

AniHawk

I think a gravity falls game could work, if they take a cel-shaded look to it; a kiddie Uncharted, with the hidden treasures being the weird oddities that occupy the town (think like the hidden goodies in the Ghostbusters game).

Think about it:

A young explorer
His female, reckless partner in crime
His sarcastic on and off again love interest
An elderly, world-weary father figure with his own secrets to hide

Sounds like uncharted and gravity falls to me...

that's what i mean though. naughty dog has no talent for whimsy. they tried rebooting jak and daxter and couldn't wrap their head around not telling a grimdark serious story. when they try to go for goofy they wind up with dumb stories and bad characters like in the uncharted games. and nothing about the uncharted series has led me to believe they would be good at making a treasure-hunting game with different gameplay based off weird items.

SJRB

Gold Member
No supernatural shit man, come on. Those were the worst segments by far in all three Uncharted games.

Top Bottom