• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if only Black People Could Get Superpowers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Another property that dealt with a minority gaining powers, at least first, was Shadowrun.

When magic first started coming back to the world in the year 2012, the first group of people that gained the ability to use magic in notable numbers were the Native Americans.

PSqueak

Banned
So how many story arcs into this will they do the obligatory "first white/non-black person to get powers" storyline? And how many after that til it becomes common place?

That's not a race comentary btw, it's just an inevitable thing that happens in comic books.

Like how in Y the last man there is more than one man alive, and such.

It's like the inevitable point every story where that sort of plot is used head towards.

Damn, that's a lot of electric-based heroes

This got me good.

Basketball would be the world's most popular sport.

Fuck, now i want the Basketball equivalent to Inazuma Eleven to be a thing in this world.

well it depends - are we talking about "super powers always being part of humanity as we evolved?" (because then human history could really go anywhere). Or do you mean if one day black people started developing super powers? Because that would be X-men as others have said:

You'd probably get some Martin Luther King / Xavier types who would encourage us to use our abilities to coexist and benefit humanity overall, and some Malcom x / Magneto brehs who've seen some shit and decide that they don't want to coexist or be a subjugated minority anymore.

how that would end up is also anyone's guess but

We'd be looking at some next-level "superhuman registration act" fuckery.

More dog whistle politics than you could imagine.

A lot of secret genetic research to find out why only black people and how to change that (either by enabling it for non-black people, or ways to remove the genotype / suppress the phenotypes in black people).

Sounds like a literal version of the inspiration behind the X-men.

My understanding was the point of the X-men was to highlight racism and segregation, to have a comic where only black people would have superpowers would certainly see some form of hint that "they need to be controlled"/"They're freaks" or some shit like that.

Will keep an eye on this, think it could do really well with some quality writing.

Well, I mean, we wouldn't be getting as mad at police who shoot first because the last black guy they tried to arrest for no reason shot fucking lasers out of his eyes.

PSqueak

Banned

My understanding was the point of the X-men was to highlight racism and segregation, to have a comic where only black people would have superpowers would certainly see some form of hint that "they need to be controlled"/"They're freaks" or some shit like that.

Will keep an eye on this, think it could do really well with some quality writing.

While that's the origin of the concept for the X-Men, i think the fact that X-Men went for allegory rather than straight up race like this worked in their favor, since the X-Men can be adapted to times, the x-men represent the oppressed, but right know they're more a LGBT allegory than race.

DedValve

Banned
What an embarrassing driveby

That trope refers to a black character who "magically" (literally or figuratively) helps a white character. You either didn't read the article, didn't read the tropes page, or read neither (I['m inclined to believe the latter).

Just a reflex of someone who "isn't racist" yet doesn't want the negros getting too much attention. Best thing to do is just place him in your ignore list and move on.

M3d10n

It would be like X-men, except you could instantly identify all mutants by eye instead of only some of them.

platakul

Banned

X-mens function as social commentary is vastly overrated and only does so when it suits that particular storyline

Dereck

tumblr_ncp6nl2iUv1rqdom4o9_1280.jpg
lmao

Geist-

What would happen in Africa?

Either new world-wide super power, or even more chaos and genocide... but with superpowers.

Interesting concept, but I feel like this would just cause more racism and division in the world than anything else, and a ton of fear.

It will be interesting to see what direction the comic goes.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Should it be bothering me so much that the white lady's reflection in the mirror is closed while she is obviously talking in the mirror?

Same with the woman in the next panel, but I could understand that as talking under her breath.

*Continues reading the preview*

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
So is there a thing with black heroes either being electric sensitive, or having the super strength and/or corollation with metal?

Maz

I thought black people already had superpowers (dehumanizing stare man!).

Jokes aside comics looks cool but I'm more of a manga guy.

galvatron

I find the idea of proposing such a story more appealing than buying and reading a fully realized attempt at telling that story. There's a lot of blaxploitation movies that are essentially this and they're heavy-handed, preachy, and pretty unintentionally amusing (one of my favs being Abar: The first black superman).

Bed Sty is the most racist place I've gone to regularly and I now live in Texas, so accurate setting at least :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom