• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is it about being gamers that turns so many of us into assholes when it comes to what we like and don't like?

-Zelda-

Banned
Even I am guilty of this more than I like, though I try to keep it under control. More than any other group I have had to be a part of online, too many of us only exist to tell the other person how wrong they are. You like Metroid Other M? You suck and should never be heard from again. You like Final Fantasy 13? Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad. You think TLOU 1 is better than part 2? Bigot sandwhiches! You think old god of war is better than new god of war? Boy.......

ok, but seriously. What is it about being gamers and being online that makes so many of us assholes who seem hell bent on jerking themselves off over what they like, while tearing others down over other Gamer opins?

Personally, I can't stand TLOU2, but you know what you don't see me do? Bashing people in threads about the game for liking something. Live and let live I hear some folks say. Why does it seem that this is such a foreign concept for some?

Even I am guilty of this more than I like, though I try to keep it under control. More than any other group I have had to be a part of online, too many of us only exist to tell the other person how wrong they are. You like Metroid Other M? You suck and should never be heard from again. You like Final Fantasy 13? Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad. You think TLOU 1 is better than part 2? Bigot sandwhiches! You think old god of war is better than new god of war? Boy.......

ok, but seriously. What is it about being gamers and being online that makes so many of us assholes who seem hell bent on jerking themselves off over what they like, while tearing others down over other Gamer opins?

Personally, I can't stand TLOU2, but you know what you don't see me do? Bashing people in threads about the game for liking something. Live and let live I hear some folks say. Why does it seem that this is such a foreign concept for some?
Tribalism. There's plenty of established Neurology literature over the innate propensity of the human brain to divide the world into us and them valence categories, where the exact membership of the in-group and out-group are socially contingent (hence vulnerable to the instruments of propaganda), and the intensity exists along a spectrum from mild to complete dehumanization of the "othered" group(such as through pseudospeciation).

Last edited:
Art is entirely subjective, and when someone loves a piece of work they REALLY love it. And things we dislike we dislike from our core, so it's easy to get worked up into a fervor.

Also the human race is just getting more bitter overall

Krieger

9hlhx4YawI3ox6Tp4hLNtR8elx_kD2_crwfVeZVKQrc.png

Bias. No one can handle other people liking something other than what they like. Same goes with people that like sports, politics and so on.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Some people are stereotypical keyboard warriors, but even with the best of intentions tone is difficult through text alone. It's so easy to misunderstand what and how someone is trying to convey, and that can easily make a conversation go downhill.

There's also a difference between expressing an opinion and asserting your opinion as fact, and just to confuse things more there's hyperbole and things that sound hyperbolic but aren't because some people are nuts.

Although we would all be better off assuming everything is merely opinion without the preface of "I think", we unfortunately don't.

Ever notice how the lowest effort drive-by posts can sometimes be the strongest bait?

-Zelda-

Banned
Some people are stereotypical keyboard warriors, but even with the best of intentions tone is difficult through text alone. It's so easy to misunderstand what and how someone is trying to convey, and that can easily make a conversation go downhill.

There's also a difference between expressing an opinion and asserting your opinion as fact, and just to confuse things more there's hyperbole and things that sound hyperbolic but aren't because some people are nuts.

Although we would all be better off assuming everything is merely opinion without the preface of "I think", we unfortunately don't.

Ever notice how the lowest effort drive-by posts can sometimes be the strongest bait?

Yeah, it's weird. I can deal with someone posting something like "I tried x game, but I ended up not liking it" but when I see people post something like "Anyone who likes x game is trash" and then stay on that same subject for years at a time, I begin to question what type of bus they took to school.

Last edited:

Pidull

Financial investment.

That first time you buy a game with your own money and it turns out it's fucking Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Superman 64, Enter the Matrix, or Aliens: Colonial Marines is a betrayal you'll never get over.

Once that happens you'll never accept bullshit again.

-Zelda-

Banned
Financial investment.

That first time you buy a game with your own money and it turns out it's fucking Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Superman 64, Enter the Matrix, or Aliens: Colonial Marines is a betrayal you'll never get over.

Once that happens you'll never accept bullshit again.
I guess, but even those games have their fans, and I try to accept it without causing them any BS. Even if it is something "bad" if you like something, then rock on, man!

DavidGzz

Some are so invested in their plastic toys that they put down the other side. Maybe if they had more games to play they wouldn't have time to troll threads reference things they hate. Every other poster acts like they own 99% of stock in Sony, Nintendo, or MS.

Wildebeest

Sometimes you have to test people to see if they really like something or are just being milquetoast and saying they love everything that is popular just to make people like them. A lot of the people who really like something for a long time find it almost impossible to talk about without constantly complaining about it.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Immature man children exposing their identity through their preferred whatever. Sad really: shows a low level of consciousness.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's intolerance and lack of basic empathy.
We talk online to people we wouldn't normally interact with. After all, in reality, you don't just continue interacting to people you dislike/don't vibe with.
Everyone who didn't play forspoken and just saw the memes, was keen on making sure, I am an idiot for liking the game.
It's really troublesome. Studios close because people are stubborn and follow hate bandwagons.

I've gotten so much hate and so much pain for simply trying to "stand my ground" of "yes, I like this game, I think it's good and here is why"... usually against people who now nothing about it.
It was similar with tlou2 or death stranding (lol just a walking sim bro, while the game is mechanically dense in reality).
In tlou2 especially, You can see 3 groups of people:
-Those with empathy who wished Ellie to stop by the end of the game.
-Those with lack of empathy who wished Ellie to continue.
-Those who would not pick the game up and try themselves because they are either hung up on fake leaks or that one thing happening in the game everyone knows about.

As for me - I am tired of defending my ground so I will let someone else speak for me. Also - she perfectly covers why critique is unfair and it can be applies to other games too.

-Zelda-

Banned
Another theme is people making fun of or dismissing anyone that does not like "popular/successful thing" If you try to air out what you did not like and why in your own topic, you get mocked and trolled and hated on for not liking the flavor of the month, which is also dumb.

It's something I have considered as well, why is the gaming community full of so many assholes? Every other community I've been involved with across my life has been generally quite pleasant but gaming is just so full of fighting and trolls and all that stuff.

Maybe it all started because of the console wars we all had to go through as kids at school. When we're young we couldn't afford every console and so we obviously have to defend our choices to other stupid kids and fight for our brand because it's all we could have at the time. Maybe that's it.

We talk online to people we wouldn't normally interact with. After all, in reality, you don't just continue interacting to people you dislike/don't vibe with.
Everyone who didn't play forspoken and just saw the memes, was keen on making sure, I am an idiot for liking the game.
It's really troublesome. Studios close because people are stubborn and follow hate bandwagons.

I've gotten so much hate and so much pain for simply trying to "stand my ground" of "yes, I like this game, I think it's good and here is why"... usually against people who now nothing about it.
It was similar with tlou2 or death stranding (lol just a walking sim bro, while the game is mechanically dense in reality).
-Those who would not pick the game up and try themselves because they are either hung up on fake leaks or that one thing happening in the game everyone knows about.

As for me - I am tired of defending my ground so I will let someone else speak for me. Also - she perfectly covers why critique is unfair and it can be applies to other games too.

This post I find really curious. You're defending your stance on Forspoken which I commend and think it's totally fine for anyone to like a game and then you're grouping people into the type of people who play TLOU2 but I don't fit into any of those 3 groups and it makes me sad that people find it so easy to 'group' people. EVERYONE is an individual. Yes it is likely that you can loosely group a human demographic with definitions and I'm sure you're just making a post on a forum so it's not a thought out thesis and you probably just meant 'the majority of people who play TLOU can be grouped in 3 main ways' instead of just 'you can see 3 groups of people'.

My point is you're doing what you're saying you're receiving regarding Forspoken with regards to the people who play the TLOU2 even if it's loosely.

I have empathy, emotionally I wanted Ellie to stop, but also I must lack empathy because I didn't want her to stop because it's a GAME and the gameplay loop is hella fun to control using the plastic in my hands.

If someone chooses not to play a game because of the leaks that's honestly their loss but it's up to them to judge whether they like it or not. It is not the consumers responsibility to manage whether studios get closed for making a shitty game that didn't sell because of any various reasons. We all want good games, we don't agree on what makes a good game. It's like with any form of creation any entertainment media. If anyone could truly define what the 'IT' factor is in anything it would be easy to make smash hits every time without even considering how difficult it is to make things... but making awesome shit is HARD, it is DAMN HARD, you might have a crushing idea but the implementation of that idea is the hard part.

Last edited:

-Zelda-

Banned

People should not be demonized for liking "bad games" Or even disliking "good" games either for that matter) If you or anyone else likes forspoken, then kick ass! Personally, I did not, but will never or at least try very hard not to hate on people who do.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Being a fan of a certain platform regarding it's library, nostalgia or other valid reasons is fine.

Purposely being antagonistic/toxic downplaying AND actively being negative about other brands is nothing less than childish.

I mean. This is simple deduction.

Don't get me started on this asinine DF analysis crowd. Fucking losers.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
People are assholes on Instagram and other non anonymous places too.
...you know there's no identity requirement for instagram right?
But I digress because that's not the point, even if it's not "anonymous" per se, it's still is, a random name tells you nothing of where you can find this person, and even if it did there's still the perceived distance safety layer.
It's about there being a sense of "safety" through several layers, so they mouth of like the loudest cunts in the internet, but in real life they wouldn't say shit; essentially this:
internet-reality.gif

Being a fan of a certain platform regarding it's library, nostalgia or other valid reasons is fine.

Purposely being antagonistic/toxic downplaying AND actively being negative about other brands is nothing less than childish.

I mean. This is simple deduction.

Don't get me started on this asinine DF analysis crowd. Fucking losers.
I actually find the DF content useful and informative, it helps to know which console or platform to buy a product on. Owning a Gaming PC and PS5 I like to know where I'm going to get the best experience per my hardware. It's also interesting to know how the latest technology is performing and I find Alex's PC videos truly informative and the work he does that is outrageously impressive.

But... to use it for the console wars is just facepalm idiotic I agree.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
...you know there's no identity requirement for instagram right?
But I digress because that's not the point, even if it's not "anonymous" per se, it's still is, a random name tells you nothing of where you can find this person, and even if it did there's still the perceived distance safety layer.
It's about there being a sense of "safety" through several layers, so they mouth of like the loudest cunts in the internet, but in real life they wouldn't say shit; essentially this:
internet-reality.gif
So you would pick a fight or shoot someone that is being a asshole if you could?

Kilau

Asshole?!

jessica jones page GIF

Crayon

I don't have anywhere else to get super cereal about videos games. Either professing my love for one or cursing another. Some people get cranky more often than others is all.

-Zelda-

Banned
I don't have anywhere else to get super cereal about videos games. Either professing my love for one or cursing another. Some people get cranky more often than others is all.
That on it's own is fine. it's taking it too far into dickbag territory where it becomes tiring. That is generally speaking mind you. Not calling you a dickbag.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Who said you are weird and why?

Long story to off topic friend <3

I actually find the DF content useful and informative, it helps to know which console or platform to buy a product on. Owning a Gaming PC and PS5 I like to know where I'm going to get the best experience per my hardware. It's also interesting to know how the latest technology is performing and I find Alex's PC videos truly informative and the work he does that is outrageously impressive.

But... to use it for the console wars is just facepalm idiotic I agree.

Your last paragraph is what i meant and see used as ammo for those todler "warriors"

You ain't the weird one

Well 😅

When a game really hits hard for you, it's a magical experience, unfortunately times change and what works for you seems to get crowded out by other tastes, this makes you feel inherently defensive because unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the tent is big enough for everyone, either everyone wants to chase what they think makes the most money or it becomes a big political slapfight over the tone.

Some examples for me, I don't care about crafting mechanics, so I loved Fallout 3 and NV, but Minecraft was so big, so they added that sort of shit to 4, which left me cold.

I also don't like Fortnite, but it's the hottest thing right now, so so many things chase that Fortnite audience.

I liked the old school more "purer" survival horror games, but RE4 killed that forever, even if some games have since brought some (but not all) of those elements back.

I liked The Last of Us, but 2 comes along with a hostile tone I found off putting, but now Last of Us will forever be an ip for people that liked 2, than fans of the original game, like me.

I like characters with big breasts, but Sarkeen don't like it, so it's gone.

So yeah, I get kinda grouchy as I feel pushed out of this medium, as do a lot of people, because devs either chase the highest dollar or the biggest political brownie points, rather than allowing a naturally diverse set of games for diverse tastes.

Top Bottom