• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is it about being gamers that turns so many of us into assholes when it comes to what we like and don't like?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Forums are a place to talk about games.

People tend to talk about negative things more so than positve ones.

It’s why the news is all negative. Good news isnt news.

If we were all just here praising every game it would be boring as fuck.

Oh my god I love god of war. Oh my god me too it’s my fav game yay!

So yes, shit on bad opinions, give people name tags, and make fun of ugly graphics. Long as it’s not person it’s not harm

Last edited:
Multiplayer happened, it made everything worse, anything that involves people competing with each other will result in shitty behaviour, look at sports for example, its even worse there.
It's a big reason for a shift away from games as a storytelling medium or at least a game in which you can "win"

Now it's increasingly akin to a virtual sport or a virtual sandbox, meanwhile games that still care about story have overcompensated by leaning too hard on "cinematic" gameplay forgetting a game can do both, tell a good story while still being full of gameplay.

Multiplayer was fine when it was very firmly a secondary thing, but Cawwadooty shifted it towards the main event and yeah, it stinks.

It's not just gaming. Social media has a way of turning even the most trivial things into huge battlegrounds.
That's just because of the way social media works.

Controversy Online > More Likes and Comments > More Points from the Algorithm > More People Viewing > Controversy IRL > Controversy Online

It's a vicious cycle poisoning the world.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

I can be guilty of this too.

I think, at least for me it is due to a fear of if something you like doesn't do well or get enough of an audience, it will no longer be supported and the industry will move on to the next big hot trend.

Instead of moving on, I think some of us keep holding onto gaming as a primary/secondary hobby and it sucks feeling left behind. I think that causes bitterness and resentment causing people to lash out at each other.

There is also a lot of misinformation and people who love to stir the pot and watch people fight. I don't care one way or the other about console wars or what console is the best. I just like playing games. I do have my biases. The thing I do notice is others who are deep into these "wars" will make big assumptions and try to pull you into their own petty insecurities calling you a fanboy and other immature sayings.

Lastly, I feel like the gaming demographic is compromised of mostly kids and teens and adults who aren't well socialized. It is a perfect storm for immaturity and arguments.

Saber

Gold Member
I agree only about the part about LoU1 bigot thing. It's clearly a mindset created on internet by the social media as a part of movemment to avoid any criticism, while using the "free speech" to make use of cancel culture.

The LoU2 part leaks thread here was the most cancerous thing I ever heard. You couldn't criticize a single thing before someone call you problematic and bigot.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's a double edged sword, some people just can't understand people having a different opinions, call them assholes and make out it's something that's it's not.... just like this thread.
Most of the time the people disliking are the ones being bashed by the other guys just because they can't except that there's some people who thinks their holy grail is a piece of shit.
Sometimes it's the other way round.

If a Xbox gamer is shitting on a Playstation game you take it with a grain of salt, just like you would if a Playstation gamer was shitting on a Xbox game.
But if a series fan is shitting on a game but says the first one is a masterpiece and they also a gamer on the platform it's on, maybe, just maybe they have a valid opinion.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Engage with gamers in person and not on forums and comment section of shitty blogs posing as journalism, and you'll find a lot of reasonable people.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
dont buy shit games bc hype. Buy games you like. Play them.

Yeah but hyped gamex performs very slightly better on E while it's resolution is slightly better a G.

Choose your preference and play.

Ffs

CuNi

After a while, it just really becomes annoying to explain to others why their opinion about games is wrong.
Imagine you have to tell people over and over again that the game they play is bad, and they shouldn't enjoy it, yet they continue to do so!

(/jk)

I think it's just that when people enjoy something a lot and see that thing be attacked, they instead feel attacked themselves and try to defend it, getting very emotional, while being able to criticize or make fun of other games they are not so fond of. I started in the Xbox-Ecosystem before switching to PC and enjoyed many of the Xbox exclusives and I have to admit, when I was younger I sometimes defended a game more intensely than I should have.
Furthermore, I think in our younger years, most of us are more impulsive driven than we'd like to admit but thankfully most of us manage to mature when we grow older.

Some sadly stay that way.
Toxicity in games, on the other hand, I never truly understood. Yes, there was always banter and insulting, but most of it was in good fun. The people actually screaming and actively sending you DMs or leaving comments on Accounts associated with you really have anger management issues or other problems in life because that shit never was and still isn't acceptable.

mitch1971

The Games part is the least reason why people are arseholes. They are arseholes that just happen to like games.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's something I have considered as well, why is the gaming community full of so many assholes? Every other community I've been involved with across my life has been generally quite pleasant but gaming is just so full of fighting and trolls and all that stuff.

Maybe it all started because of the console wars we all had to go through as kids at school. When we're young we couldn't afford every console and so we obviously have to defend our choices to other stupid kids and fight for our brand because it's all we could have at the time. Maybe that's it.

This post I find really curious. You're defending your stance on Forspoken which I commend and think it's totally fine for anyone to like a game and then you're grouping people into the type of people who play TLOU2 but I don't fit into any of those 3 groups and it makes me sad that people find it so easy to 'group' people. EVERYONE is an individual. Yes it is likely that you can loosely group a human demographic with definitions and I'm sure you're just making a post on a forum so it's not a thought out thesis and you probably just meant 'the majority of people who play TLOU can be grouped in 3 main ways' instead of just 'you can see 3 groups of people'.

My point is you're doing what you're saying you're receiving regarding Forspoken with regards to the people who play the TLOU2 even if it's loosely.

I have empathy, emotionally I wanted Ellie to stop, but also I must lack empathy because I didn't want her to stop because it's a GAME and the gameplay loop is hella fun to control using the plastic in my hands.

If someone chooses not to play a game because of the leaks that's honestly their loss but it's up to them to judge whether they like it or not. It is not the consumers responsibility to manage whether studios get closed for making a shitty game that didn't sell because of any various reasons. We all want good games, we don't agree on what makes a good game. It's like with any form of creation any entertainment media. If anyone could truly define what the 'IT' factor is in anything it would be easy to make smash hits every time without even considering how difficult it is to make things... but making awesome shit is HARD, it is DAMN HARD, you might have a crushing idea but the implementation of that idea is the hard part.
I guess I am are fault too. Internet for sure changed me but people at work also think I am usually an asshole.
But certainly I feel more stressed and I get irritated more often. I lack attention span and it’s difficult to focus on one thing.

I am trying to excuse me being guilty of being ann asshole on social media and the internet but I am probably just stubborn.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
dont buy shit games bc hype. Buy games you like. Play them.

Yeah but hyped gamex performs very slightly better on E while it's resolution is slightly better a G.

Choose your preference and play.

Ffs
I fine it really difficult to judge which game i might like or not before buying. Some of my fav games are either very small and unheard off like the forgotten city or largely review bombed like forspoken

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I fine it really difficult to judge which game i might like or not before buying. Some of my fav games are either very small and unheard off like the forgotten city or largely review bombed like forspoken

That's normal imo. Like music and movies games have genres. And that's good because you play something that resonates with your mood att. Took me far to long to get a sense of what genres i like. I still experiment here and there but I've gotten a feel for what i find addictive.

But just like movies and music there's a large discrepancy in quality in regards to each respective genre. Just watch a playthrough segment. For myself i know quite fast if it's something good, or not

You either like what I like, or you're trash. Simple as that.
Puppet No GIF by America's Got Talent

Last edited:

Aion002

John Cleese People Are Stupid GIF

Not because of games, but because of stupidity:

A normal person thinks like this:

"I hate this. You like it? Oh... ok. Good for you."

While a stupid person thinks like this:

"I hate this. Wait! You like this? Why do you like this? You shouldn't like this... You're wrong. I can't accept that someone enjoys this. I have to show to you that is wrong to like this. Fuck! Ya dumb for liking this!"

It's fine to dislike things, it's dumb to criticize others for liking something you don't like.

Andy Campbell Twitch GIF by Hyper RPG

Last edited:

jayj

Banned
Good question. I think a lot of people genuinely lack social skills these days, I blame social media and all the echo chambers people surround themselves with.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
It's intolerance and lack of basic empathy.
We talk online to people we wouldn't normally interact with. After all, in reality, you don't just continue interacting to people you dislike/don't vibe with.
Everyone who didn't play forspoken and just saw the memes, was keen on making sure, I am an idiot for liking the game.
It's really troublesome. Studios close because people are stubborn and follow hate bandwagons.

I've gotten so much hate and so much pain for simply trying to "stand my ground" of "yes, I like this game, I think it's good and here is why"... usually against people who now nothing about it.
It was similar with tlou2 or death stranding (lol just a walking sim bro, while the game is mechanically dense in reality).
In tlou2 especially, You can see 3 groups of people:
-Those with empathy who wished Ellie to stop by the end of the game.
-Those with lack of empathy who wished Ellie to continue.
-Those who would not pick the game up and try themselves because they are either hung up on fake leaks or that one thing happening in the game everyone knows about.

As for me - I am tired of defending my ground so I will let someone else speak for me. Also - she perfectly covers why critique is unfair and it can be applies to other games too.

You do the very thing you claim to be against in this post.

Humdinger

Yeah, I've noticed that hanging around gaming forums makes me a little more of a prick. Sometimes that comes in handy. For instance, learning how to argue on gaming forums once helped me deal with an aggressive lawyer. I whooped him, and I thought to myself afterwards, "That was because of my experience arguing on forums," ha. (There was more to it than that, but I found that bit funny).

I do worry about its effect on more friendly relationships, though. The negative and aggressive tone can rub off on me sometimes, and then I carry that into other encounters. That's not good.

Griffon

Nothing to do with being a gamer or not.

Most humans are basic tribalistic trash and would rather die than admit they've been wrong.
Too many dumb fucks being given megaphones on the internet.

Last edited:
Even I am guilty of this more than I like, though I try to keep it under control. More than any other group I have had to be a part of online, too many of us only exist to tell the other person how wrong they are. You like Metroid Other M? You suck and should never be heard from again. You like Final Fantasy 13? Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad. You think TLOU 1 is better than part 2? Bigot sandwhiches! You think old god of war is better than new god of war? Boy.......

ok, but seriously. What is it about being gamers and being online that makes so many of us assholes who seem hell bent on jerking themselves off over what they like, while tearing others down over other Gamer opins?

Personally, I can't stand TLOU2, but you know what you don't see me do? Bashing people in threads about the game for liking something. Live and let live I hear some folks say. Why does it seem that this is such a foreign concept for some?

I've never really felt this way, but the "Woke vs anti woke" crowd here, and the bashing of resetera drives me nuts [I don't visit resetera]. People upset at Volcano High; just don't buy it?

The only reason I'm making this post- I'm surprised I didn't see thread after thread decrying the linearity of FFXVI, because it felt even more linear than XIII.

-Zelda-

Banned
Not sure if this is an opinion that is generally shared, but Cyberpunk is a good example. I tried to get into that game, and while I can see what people do like about it, I just can't. Something about how oppressive the game world/story is keeps me from enjoying my time with it. Even now that it is fixed, I just don't want to bother with it. That being said, it's absolute SIN that this song is not in the game. Maybe someone can make one of those AMV's for it in the future. The lyrics and vibe fits so well. Especially from the second verse on:

Laptop1991

Basically brand and game loyalty (fanizm) and being stubborn which results in refusing to accept people like different things, like systems or games, you can't make other gamers like what you like, we all get the same enjoyment out of different games, which is the way it should be.

phil spencer will fix everything..................

c6589eazwj311.png
O dear Phil stop lying trough your theet.You and MS are trying to buy up the biggest players in the industry.
And the problem is that you an MS are dividing the industry and you and MS are dividing gamers. And you and MS wanted Sony to fail as the documents where the proof that.
That T-shirt you are wearing is ironicly the truth, you are difinitely in limbo😁

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Meh....some people think their opinion is superior to others or even think it is a matter of taste. Just gotta....

Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC

Is this really exclusive to us tho? I think people just like to argue in general and the internet is the only place you can do that without fear of losing rep or getting lit up.

Politics and sports forums/discussions are worse

It’s not just gamers

Having been around the very highest level of sports most of my life I can assure you people were being totally nasty to others for the last 40+ years that I have been around sporting venues

Exactly. I spend a little time on a sports forum and those guys are constantly being assholes to each other, even if they root for the same team. I go there and think "damn....GAF ain't bad at all".

Last edited:
Top Bottom