• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most "next gen" (current gen) looking game?

Most next gen looking graphics?

• MS Flight Simulator

• Forza Horizon

• Elden Ring

• God of War Ragnarok

• Horizon Forbidden West

• Ratchet and Clank

• Returnal

• Spiderman Mike Morales

• Other (please specify)

• Demon Souls

• Cyberpunk 2077

• Half Life Alyx

Results are only viewable after voting.

Marty-McFly

Banned
I see a lot of people these days talking about what looks next gen and what doesn't.

Cross gen and true next gen.

What game do you think is pulling off the most next gen visuals that we've seen actual gameplay footage of?

RCU005

The games look great, but I believe they all look like improved PS4 versions. By this time in the PS4 gen, I was already impressed by several games like The Order 1886. Even Second Son looked much better than any PS3 game.

I think we will have to wait until 2023 to see games that leaves us with the jaw open and our minds blown

Right now, I would say MS Flight Simulator for me, and 2023 will be the year of true next gen games

2022 still have some cross gen titles that will hold it's true power back.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

DuqGnnB.gif

ZehDon

Gold Member
I played Flight Simulator on my Series X on the weekend. That's probably the most visually and technically impressive game I've ever played. The screenshots are stunning, but boy - playing over my home town, seeing it realised so incredibly well at that visual fidelity? That was really something else.

Last edited:
It's Half Life Alyx, you blind monkeys.

Nothing even comes remotely close.

Outside of VR, on consoles, I'd say that in the right conditions Demon's Soul remake truly is the Gears of War moment of this gen (or the Fight Night moment, remember that?).

On pc we have Flight sim and Star Citizen that blow everything else away (yeah yeah "they're not games").

And why are we considering titles that are yet to release?

Last edited:
Black Myth: Wukong

Although I don't know if that's fair since that will probably come out in 2023 at the earliest. But as of now, there's not one tangible game that looks even close to this game in its visual presentation. Not to mention the combat looks great too. It obviously still needs some improvements in its hit box detection though.

If we're being honest

The Last of us 2, Detroit Beyond Human, and Uncharted 4 look better than everything released on the new consoles
NO, TLOU2 could be considered IMO but those other 2 are not good enough graphically and I've played through both in the last 6 months.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
It's Half Life Alyx, you blind monkeys.

Nothing even comes remotely close.

Outside of VR, on consoles, I'd say that in the right conditions Demon's Soul remake truly is the Gears of War moment of this gen (or the Fight Night moment, remember that?).

On pc we have Flight sim and Star Citizen that blow everything else away (yeah yeah "they're not games").

And why are we considering titles that are yet to release?
I recently got a Quest 2 and I agree. Nothing outside of VR really impresses me anymore because it's so ... flat. Even fucking Pavlov is more impressive than PS5 stuff (despite looking like CS Source on low settings) because you feel like you're there. Can't even imagine what HL:A is like (I'm holding off playing it until I can get my hands on a more powerful GPU at normal prices).

RowdyReverb

I’ll be the first Avatar vote! If they can pull off the world size, diversity, and rapid traversal that the trailer suggested, it looks like a truly next gen game

Flight Simulator could take it, but let's be serious, it's more of a tech demo than a videogame.

With gameplay shown i think it's hard not to say the monkey game is the most impressive one, then i'd go for both Horizon games, and then Ratchet/GoW 2.

Whitecrow

Banned
Still unable to understand how anyone can say that Demon Souls with its lacking illumination and empty hallways is the best looking game.
It's not even native 4K.

FMX

How convenient that you left off Gears of War Hivebusters. Obviously you have never played this game as it would have been on top of the list. I always found it strange that when graphics are being discussed Gears is often not included in the discussions. Not sure if it's fanboyism or an oversight but graphically very few games are in the same league as Gears. Flight Sim and it's not even close folks.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I voted Alyx just because it's the only one that made me go "wow".

The rest look amazing ofc, but to me it's just more of the same we got on the previous gen, just a liiiittle bit better.

CeeJay

Flight Simulator could take it, but let's be serious, it's more of a tech demo than a videogame.

With gameplay shown i think it's hard not to say the monkey game is the most impressive one, then i'd go for both Horizon games, and then Ratchet/GoW 2.
huh?

There is some amazing and unique tech on show but it's far from a tech demo. Flight sim fans are some of the fussiest out there and although it isn't without some criticism FS has arguably moved a genre forward and raised the bar further and higher than any other single title I can think. It's certainly up there with Elite, and Mario 64 for me. The accurate graphics on show in FS are a bit part of that jump. Most games at the micro scale are going to be better looking than FS but at macro scale there is nothing else even remotely close to it.

Top Bottom