• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most successful game that never got a sequel, remake or remaster?

Soodanim

Gold Member
This might not count but I'm still surprised we haven't gotten a sequel or any talks about a Sonic Mania 2
The devs that were brought in to make Mania say they were treated like shit, so unfortunately a Mania 2 won't be happening any time soon. Sega's in-house people make a 2D Sonic to save their lives and they pushed away the people that proved they could.

Sentenza

fightnightchamp-sq-1643935682598.jpg
Yeah, because the morons at EA decided that "boxing was on its way out and MMA is the new hot shit".
More than 10 years later and boxing is more popular than ever, with SEVERAL of the greatest purses in the sport's history being exactly in this timeframe, and MMA champions still earns what would be pocket change for most elite boxers.

As someone who loves (and works in) boxing I'm particularly bitter about this one.

Back on topic, if we are going with the mismatch between massive success and the inexplicable lack of a sequel, there's no beating the Half-Life Series.

Last edited:

CGNoire

I'd also like to add that it's a little absurd to claim Mario 64 hasn't had sequels. It had several sequels. Just because it added a new mechanic and isn't named "Mario 64 2 or Mario 65, doesn't mean that it's not a sequel.
No way. Non of those games play or feel the same as M64.

Rykan

No way. Non of those games play or feel the same as M64.
That's absurd. The design and controls of Mario Sunshine are nearly identical to M64. The fact that it added a gimmick doesn't change that it's clearly a sequel. The 3D Mario's after that are clearly sequels to Mario 64 as well, especially Mario Odyssey.

Last edited:

CGNoire

That's absurd. The design and controls of Mario Sunshine are nearly identical to M64. The fact that it added a gimmick doesn't change that it's clearly a sequel. The 3D Mario's after that are clearly sequels to Mario 64 as well, especially Mario Odyssey.
Level design and moveset alone set Sunshine and Galaxy far from the feel of M64. Havent played Odyssey yet but will admit it looks the closes.

Bizarrely I think Days Gone fits the bill. The initial reviews weren’t glowing, but there was a wide recognition that the updates added after launch made it much better and well-liked.
It actually sold a good amount of a game that reviewed with its score.

Freeza93

Banned
Alien Isolation.

Best horrorgame ever, alienlore friendly and acurate. Since then no game scares me anymore. Idk how people find dead space scary. After playing the remake, i had to push myself to finish that clunky garbage of a game. Was way better in my memory......

Holammer

Tail Concerto. At first I thought it had a sequel or two, but those are separate games in the same universe. It was meant to get a sequel which was teased but eventually canned. Pretty sure Magicbox used to write about it.
If it had a sequel we would get more top tier fan content like this

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Kingdoms of Amalur.

I really liked the combat in that game, and the art style (except for human/elf characters).

I think it's totally worth including licensed games which should have been their own micro-franchise yet never got follow-ups. (Especially since these games rarely get re-released since their license agreements get so complicated over time; Star Wars Republic Commando seemed like it was going to fall into that category until its surprise remaster recently.) Some of the biggest sellers on certain platforms were brand-name games that you would have thought you'd see a half-dozen more of across major platforms, but instead they were one-and-done. (A few didn't even really launch their developers big, despite the sales numbers and sometimes review scores.) It's a different category in terms of how they succeeded yet how they were left behind, but its still in the math of what we're talkin about here.

A few licensed games maybe worth mentioning:

* Simpsons Hit & Run
* Walt Disney World Magical Racing Tour
* Die Hard Trilogy / Alien Trilogy (same year/same developer, then never something like this again)
* Cool Spot
* Mad Max
* X-Men Origins Wolverine (thankfully, there was no X-Men Origins 2 movie... but ultimately, Raven never got to make something like this again)
Cool Spot?
Even my memories of that game are dusty.
Wasn't it a very short game? I know I played it in the 90s, but don't remember much, just like Zool.

FeralEcho

Based on O.P.s criteria I can list a few:

Bloodborne
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
Sekiro
Days Gone
Sunset Overdrive

That's if we're thinking success in the standards that were around when these games game out and on their respective aspirations for sales since nowadays success is only measured If IT hits 10 million which is a load of garbage and why games these days are so bloated and lifeless.

Now for something that doesn't fit O.P.s criteria though that I would love to see come back as a franchises is Sleeping Dogs.Still remains one of the best experiences in games even 10 years later.

CamHostage

Cool Spot?
Even my memories of that game are dusty.

Cool Spot was part of that anything-goes licensed game period where the 7UP Spot character could lead a videogame. (For a previous Game Boy game, they ported and modified an NES game which was originally a McDonalds game called MC Kids.) The game was a platformer, acclaimed in its time for highly-detailed and personality-filled animation.

tumblr_p7j6p7iR9b1s9fn3ko1_540.gif

Technically, Cool Spot probably doesn't belong on this list because it did lead to a brighter future, just not necessarily with the 7UP Spot himself (though I had forgotten that there was actually a new Saturn/PS1 game with Spot.) The makers of Cool Spot were a notable crew under David Perry (including music/audio by Tommy Tallarico,) and Cool Spot was their calling card used to make the similarly impressive Disney's Aladdin game for Genesis; the core creatives eventually went on to found the company Shiny Entertainment.

I’m sooo happy with Final Fantasy VIII Remastered physical on PS4 that game is a masterpiece.
Oh ye I forgot bout the remaster, havent played that one yet but I might just buy that one n play that. I wonder when or even if we'll ever get a remake.
The only positive thing that it potentially gets a remake much later is us seeing Balamb Garden and Edea with next gen graphics with reworked gameplay mechanics.

Reactions: Dis

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
s-l640.jpg

Everything from the weapons, the enemies but the outright trash we got from ps3/360 Turok won’t bring a sequel and is unfortunate because the franchise was so important to FPS genre and the N64.

RAIDEN1

Ya its bullshit. Even if Ben has to be included they can just pay the family royalties and use an AI voice print......I want another story in that universe so bad.
Exactly.....and yet seeing as Tim isn't interested it would take the fans to do some sort of un-official sequel....

kiphalfton

Bloodborne possibly?

Edit: Yes I'm aware it didn't sell particularly well, but there's not a lot of other options given OP's criteria.
OP is asking a question that probably should have been split into multiple different threads, or just narrowed it down to one thing. A remake or remaster doesn't really mean anything, and I hope to God that isn't an indication of how successful a game is.

Hohenheim

I guess this didn't sell enough to be considered, buy Eternal Darkness got top scores all over and won a bunch of awards.
Still holdsup quite well.

Also (of course) Bloodborne.

Rykan

Level design and moveset alone set Sunshine and Galaxy far from the feel of M64. Havent played Odyssey yet but will admit it looks the closes.
Not really, No.

Level design in all of those games is mostly similar. Mario moves around in a hub and can then choose to enter different somewhat “open stages” that offer different objectives to collect whatever it is he needs to collect in each respective game to progress.

The moveset in each game is very similar. Saying that even the slightest change in controls disqualifies it as a sequel is absurd.

Last edited:
Top Bottom