• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what kind of router should I get? Im so lost gaming gaf.

GravyButt

Just got a new cable modem a motorola surfboard http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SurfBoard-SB6121-DOCSIS/dp/B004XC6GJ0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1424195090&sr=8-3&keywords=motorola+surfboard+sb6141 modem to replace my really old modem.

I also have a linksys wrt54g which is at least 6 years old. Ive been running some speed tests and im getting like 20 up 5 down. Before the modem was replaced today I was getting 14 up 3 down.

Im looking to grab a dual band wireless router, but really do not want to spend more than $50. Im assuming anything at this point will be an upgrade from my current one. Looking on amazon too because I have a few dollars in store credit I want to use.

Also, my ps4 and my xbox one are connected directly to the router, so does that make a difference at all?

If anyone can shoot me a recommendation im all ears, because I really have no clue what in the blue hell im looking for. I have my desktop wireless and the range on my current router is so bad I get 5 up 1 down. Disgusting.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I went with Wirecutter's pick and am super impressed by it. Recommended in a heartbeat:

www.amazon.com/dp/B006QB1RPY/

You said you've had your router for at least 6 years. That's normal, but it means this: Don't cheapen out on a new one. It's something you have for a long time and it can make you miserable if it's flaky. Do it right

Malio

Just get a regular ole $40 router man, and hook that shit up wired. Wireless will only bring you heartache.

GravyButt

Really cant spend much more than $50 ish. Is my current router causing slowdowns in speed to my ps4 and xb1 even though its hardwired to it?

Also we got 2 iPhones a wireless directv box a desktop and a laptop on our network wirelessly. Usually not all at the same time. Range is literally 50 ft for my router. It actually could be much older, im just guessing at least 6 years.

Jams775

I went with Wirecutter's pick and am super impressed by it. Recommended in a heartbeat:

www.amazon.com/dp/B006QB1RPY/

You said you've had your router for at least 6 years. That's normal, but it means this: Don't cheapen out on a new one. It's something you have for a long time and it can make you miserable if it's flaky. Do it right

Yeah pretty much don't skimp. If you get something from a company like TP-Link you might get some backdoor riddled POS. I've been stuck with a Buffalo WZR-HP-300NH for like 4 or 5 years + because every time I look for a new router I end up reading about exploits and backdoors and get scared to commit. I think if I ever "upgrade" it's going to be assembling a Linux computer with spare parts I have and making that the router.

edit: I usually like to try and have my router's locked down tight though. Being fast isn't as much of a priority for me.

GravyButt

Ran modem directly to laptop got 35 up 7 down.

Plugged backed into router and ran speedof.me on ps4 and xb1 (which are hardwired to router) and got 9 up 6 down with 42 ms. And laptop wirelessly got 13 and 7

Question is though do I need a dual band router if my ps4 and xb1 are hardwired to router? Those speeds are horrible and probably why I lag so damn much.

Persona7

Banned
Asus RT-AC66U or similar.

I thought this was like 150 dollars which is 3x times what OP wants to spend.

TP-LINK is a pretty good brand, I've used several routers from them and they are all great. They do have a good gigabit dual band router but it is closer to 70 dollars(WDR-4300) and the lower tier model is 55 dollars (WDR-3600) or so before taxes.

I see this one on amazon but I haven't used this specific model but it seems to be the same board as the 4300.

e90Mark

I replaced my WRT54G a few months ago too. The difference was huge. It's causing slowdowns definitely. It is super trusty though. Ran it for like 7 years.

Hopefully my ASUS AC56u lasts another 7.

GravyButt

We'll got my stuff in. Evidently my internet plan is only 30mbs. Im getting 34 on avg now! Debating for the extra $12 a month to upgrade my plan to the 105mbs.

Wonder how that would effect my online gaming on ps4 and xb1? Including speed up of downloads or nah?

If it won't make a major difference in either of those two aspects maybe i wont.

The Llama

Whatever the best Asus router you can afford. Through friends/family/etc. I've had experience with a ton of different routers. None compare to Asus in terms of reliability, speed, compatibility, and whatever else you'd want from a router.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Run cable from router to desktop. Drill holes if you have to, even if it's an apartment.

Iorv3th

GravyButt

Crap should of posted all that earlier. On phone now in bed. Ill try to post tomorrow after therapy.

Its nice having wifi range now. Before I was getting one bar/dropped wifi in bed which really is like 75 feet from the router with no wall in the way. Now i get full bars and full speed.

Wish I didn't sell my pstv now :(

Jams775

Crap should of posted all that earlier. On phone now in bed. Ill try to post tomorrow after therapy.

Its nice having wifi range now. Before I was getting one bar/dropped wifi in bed which really is like 75 feet from the router with no wall in the way. Now i get full bars and full speed.

Wish I didn't sell my pstv now :(

What did you end up getting?

I'd try and save another 20-40 and get the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 used.

It's solid as fuck, supports tons of wireless devices and wired connections, etc.

Mine has solved every problem I've ever had with wireless routers.

Top Bottom